Ufa Targets 2013

joeyabs

UFA's Flames Should Target  

21 members have voted

1. 1. Who should Flames consider signing? (can choose more than one)

• Ribeiro (WASH)
    • Horton (BOS)
    • Stalberg (CHI)
    • Brunner (DET)
    • Filppula (DET)
    • Clarkson (NJ)
    • Clowe (NYR)
    • Bozak (TOR)
    • Raymond (VAN)
    • Weiss (FLA)

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The only UFA the flames *NEED* to target is a top 4 dman. The rest of the roster is pretty much accounted for.

Any other UFA additions would be just to add a body that fills a long term need, not necessarily to compete this year.

ie: Youngish centre that can hold down a top 9 role and push for a top 6.

Would I want Clarkson...Sure, he's a good player with some grit. But their will be 29 other teams also putting in a offer for him this summer if he goes to FA. And i'm guessing that he would put the Flames (and their current situation...rebuild/retool) pretty low on his list.

I'm thinking realistically, Clarkson isn't going to be wearing Flames Red next winter

So I went with Horton and Possibly Bozak

Agreed. Clarkson sounds like the guy thats in demand and someone will make him rich/overpay for him this year. I like Stalberg and think he has the most upside - plays alot of 4th line or bench in Chicago. Bozak could still get better, I think Toronto will try hard to resign him

If that were the thinking, no FA will sign here. Feaster has to convince any FA the plan is to compete and that the Flames will persue other good FA players.

Would I want Clarkson...Sure, he's a good player with some grit. But their will be 29 other teams also putting in a offer for him this summer if he goes to FA. And i'm guessing that he would put the Flames (and their current situation...rebuild/retool) pretty low on his list.

I'm thinking realistically, Clarkson isn't going to be wearing Flames Red next winter

So I went with Horton and Possibly Bozak

If that were the thinking, no FA will sign here. Feaster has to convince any FA the plan is to compete and that the Flames will persue other good FA players.

I agree with you. I think it will be extremely tough for Feaster to sign any top free agent this summer. Clarkson is 29 and more then likely not wanting to stick around for a rebuild.

Feaster can paint a glorious picture in any FA head (isn't that what he did with Hudler and Widemen) but it will be a lot tougher without Iggy and most likely Kipper here. If Cammy and/or Tangs are dealt this summer as well. That means the only FA the Flames are going to attract are:

1. Players that are just looking to get overpaid.
  2. Players with a diminished role that want to play more. (ie. a forth liner that thinks he can play third line minutes).

So maybe I do change my answer to Stalberg for what Joeyabs said about him playing on the 4th line in Chicago. Maybe he would be wanting a increased role. Does anybody have a good report on Stalberg? Can he be a top 9 guy? Top 6?

http://fans.flames.nhl.com/community/topic/19169-suggestion-viktor-stalberg/

Started a thread about us possibly going after him. Some nice videos on there.

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=239392

He's one of the fastest guys in the league, would be top 6 in calgary esp being a RW'er. Maybe he's a defensive liability or bad locker room personality?

http://video.blackhawks.nhl.com/videocenter/console?id=239392

He's one of the fastest guys in the league, would be top 6 in calgary esp being a RW'er. Maybe he's a defensive liability or bad locker room personality?

He's really inconsistant and more often than not won't play to his talent level so he is a frusturating player in that regard. he should be a solid top 6 forward but he doesn't play like it near enough, his compete level varies.

I'm not huge on FA this year I don't think there are many options and as has been said the only real need for the Flames is a top 4 d. They Flames do need to get a bit bigger and tougher but they would need to clear bodies out first and make room.

These are the only players in FA I have an interest for the Flames but none i'm super excited about. alot of these guys I expect to get overpaid so I would lose interest quickly.

Nathan Horton RW

David Clarkson RW

Ryan OBryne

Raffi Torres

Tyler Bozak

Eric Nystrom

Boyd Gordon

Grant Clitsome

Brad Richardson

David Steckel

Maxim Lapierre

Victor Stalberg

Kyle chipchura

Bryan Bickell

I think there are going to be many more options available in the trade route as teams work to juggle their rosters to fit under the reduced cap. That being said Clarkson, Horton, Bozak, Stalberg, Brunner, Fistric, Sanguinetti, Clitsome would be on my list of targets, The price I am not too concerned on but it is the other terms that I am worried about. I dont want to get sucked in on real long contracts for most of these free agents.

The underlined would help beef up the back end and help us become harder to play against.

*edit* the more I think on it, Clitsome would be at the top of the list. He is playing 20+ min and was +10 last season (leading the jets D in that category) and does not get pushed around even with his 5'11''  stature, (215 lbs though) He could fill in on that top 4 roll minutes wise.

Sam Gagne could be a UFA this summer. It would be nice to steal him from the dark side. Small but gifted offensively. I would like to see the flames pick him up as a free agent especially if they get him for a reasonable price. Don't think the oilers will have the cap space to pay him what he's worth.

Sam Gagne could be a UFA this summer. It would be nice to steal him from the dark side. Small but gifted offensively. I would like to see the flames pick him up as a free agent especially if they get him for a reasonable price. Don't think the oilers will have the cap space to pay him what he's worth.

Sorry but I thought Gagne was going to be a UFA but now I see he is listed as a RFA. Forget it. He's not worth losing the draft pics.

I'd love to see Sam Gange wear the Flaming C, but I have a feeling the Oilers sign him before he becomes a UFA.

The indications will become a bit clearer with the Draft and what happens there with moves. FAs know there is change happening in Calgary however change can create opportunity. Take Tyler Bozak as an example, it will take 5M to sign him but you can play him along side Cammalleri and give him 1st line minutes. Horton and Clarkson will have plenty of choices IMO, getting one of them would be a real steal and we could use a solid RW.

I agree with you. I think it will be extremely tough for Feaster to sign any top free agent this summer. Clarkson is 29 and more then likely not wanting to stick around for a rebuild.

Feaster can paint a glorious picture in any FA head (isn't that what he did with Hudler and Widemen) but it will be a lot tougher without Iggy and most likely Kipper here. If Cammy and/or Tangs are dealt this summer as well. That means the only FA the Flames are going to attract are:

1. Players that are just looking to get overpaid.
  2. Players with a diminished role that want to play more. (ie. a forth liner that thinks he can play third line minutes).

So maybe I do change my answer to Stalberg for what Joeyabs said about him playing on the 4th line in Chicago. Maybe he would be wanting a increased role. Does anybody have a good report on Stalberg? Can he be a top 9 guy? Top 6?

During a conference call for season ticket holders last night, MacTavish said that signing Gagner this summer was a priority...

When it was rumored last season that Gagner was on the trading block, I was hoping that the Flames might be able to pick him up...   But that all changed after his 8 point night, I don't think they would consider moving him now, maybe next season in his RFA year towards the trade deadline if they can't come to terms...   It is possible that the Oil won't be able to give him the contract he want's, and he goes UFA...   MacT also said that Gagner could become the youngest UFA in the history of the league, but as GM he didn't want that to happen...

Other than that, MacT hinted that they could be shopping for a goalie, they want to add a big center this summer possibly through the draft, and that Horcoff's future with the team was uncertain...

I like Horton but the price tag it will take and his history of being injured scares me off a bit, but it also may lower his price a bit too.

2 names id like to see us go after for a variety of reasons are Wade Redden and Jussi Jokkinen

Redden gives you a veteran leader presence on the blueline and he will come cheap. Hes an upgrade to our top 6, has shut down ability, good pass ability and plays on all units

Jokkinen is a pest, can contribute ofensively, kills penalties, wins faceoffs and is big weapon in the number of shootouts we will likely find ourselves in..and will also be cheap

I like Horton but the price tag it will take and his history of being injured scares me off a bit, but it also may lower his price a bit too.

2 names id like to see us go after for a variety of reasons are Wade Redden and Jussi Jokkinen

Redden gives you a veteran leader presence on the blueline and he will come cheap. Hes an upgrade to our top 6, has shut down ability, good pass ability and plays on all units

Jokkinen is a pest, can contribute ofensively, kills penalties, wins faceoffs and is big weapon in the number of shootouts we will likely find ourselves in..and will also be cheap

I don't want Jokinen.  He is fitting in well on a stacked team like Pittsburgh.  But I don't think he would fit in well here.  I also don't like his size and I would like UFA forward pick ups to bring some size.  I have zero interest in Redden.  We don't need to bring on a 35 year old that can't put up points anymore and doesn't play hard or physical.  

During a conference call for season ticket holders last night, MacTavish said that signing Gagner this summer was a priority...

When it was rumored last season that Gagner was on the trading block, I was hoping that the Flames might be able to pick him up...   But that all changed after his 8 point night, I don't think they would consider moving him now, maybe next season in his RFA year towards the trade deadline if they can't come to terms...   It is possible that the Oil won't be able to give him the contract he want's, and he goes UFA...   MacT also said that Gagner could become the youngest UFA in the history of the league, but as GM he didn't want that to happen...

Other than that, MacT hinted that they could be shopping for a goalie, they want to add a big center this summer possibly through the draft, and that Horcoff's future with the team was uncertain...

Weren't they pretty much shopping Horkoff all last year? He was part of just about any rumour for semi talented forwards. I will assume it will be a lot tougher to trade him this season, as teams attempt to dump cap, unless they are willing to take a loss of value. His contract(5.5mil cap hit x2 more seasons) and age(34) are major stumbling blocks for trading him.

Archived