s4xon

Sure, they don't have to do anything. They can take the chance with MAF, giving him the starter reins again and not trade him. They can sit with $73m in existing cap hit for 13F, 6D and 2G, and hope that they can be compliant by day 1 of the season. They can let Lovejoy and Jultz walk. They can buy out Kunitz and save $2.3m or some other move.

Neither Toronto nor Calgary have to deal with them. If either teams signs or trades for a different goalie, then the Pengies can keep him through the expansion. I'm sure that they would prefer to improve the team.

They already are compliant, Dupuis being on LTIR let's them go $3.75 mill over the cap. I am sure they can find a partner for Kunitz, the guy makes less than $4MIL and has put up 17 goals and 40 points the last two seasons, he has trade value.

Murray has 34 games total in the NHL.

Everyone give your head a shake if you think Lemieux is going to trade their #1 goal tender in Fleury. Murray played GOOD behind a VERY GOOD team and for that he is now the bona-fide starter?? How many play-off hero's did we have last year that never carried it over to this season.?

Lemieux is going for another cup while he can hold this team together, no way he will risk not having a #1 goaltender plus he has Murray on the cheap for another year.

He will be exposed  to the expansion draft as no one has really mentioned offering anything substantial for him anyways.

Problem is the Penguins can only expose him to the expansion if he allows it. He has a NMC so if he doesn't want to play for an expansion team he drives the bus and the Penguins would be forced to expose Murray.

At the end of the day does trading fleury make a lot of sense this offseason, of course it does. But does it have to happen? No. Their is logic on both sides but there is no reason they have to move him. For all we know they talk to fleury and he agrees to waive his NMC and be exposed in the draft and they protect Murray and then can try to move fleury after the expansion draft or if Murray is a flop then they can move him.

Penguins are not backed into a corner here they have options, multiple options in fact and I agree with above and others that ther is still a lot of logic in keeping fleury too. I don't doubt they will listen but they'll need a decent return and not going to just give him away. In fact unless he goes to the Pens and asks to be moved the is a rising chance he stays in Pittsburgh.

They already are compliant, Dupuis being on LTIR let's them go $3.75 mill over the cap. I am sure they can find a partner for Kunitz, the guy makes less than $4MIL and has put up 17 goals and 40 points the last two seasons, he has trade value.

Scrap Dupuis's 3.75 & the Pengies are @ 70.55 with 13 forwards, 6 D 7 2 goalies. A flat cap or decrease leaves them in a spot.

With accelerator used they have a little room.

Kunitz is now a complimentary player paid 3.85. For the $s & acquisition cost there are better options for other teams than a 36 yrar old.

Scrap Dupuis's 3.75 & the Pengies are @ 70.55 with 13 forwards, 6 D 7 2 goalies. A flat cap or decrease leaves them in a spot.

With accelerator used they have a little room.

Kunitz is now a complimentary player paid 3.85. For the $s & acquisition cost there are better options for other teams than a 36 yrar old.

Yes Pittsburgh will be looking to move Fleury, but all I am saying is that they don't have to and they won't accept low ball offers for Fleury.

Yes Pittsburgh will be looking to move Fleury, but all I am saying is that they don't have to and they won't accept low ball offers for Fleury.

With a very limited market & other goalies (including Bishop for just 0.15 more) expected to hit the market the Pengies have 2 options.

1) Stand pat

2) Accept low offer to fill skaters spots & sign a cheaper vet to cover in case Murray stumbles.

With a very limited market & other goalies (including Bishop for just 0.15 more) expected to hit the market the Pengies have 2 options.

1) Stand pat

2) Accept low offer to fill skaters spots & sign a cheaper vet to cover in case Murray stumbles.

I actually don't expect Bishop to hit the market. To me that leaves Fleury and Andersen as really the only legit starters that I see as being on the move, sure others might surface but I don't see any that I would count on at this point.

With Calgary, Toronto and possibly the Islanders, Dallas, Buffalo looking to improve their goaltending their is enough of a market to not take low ball offers.

I'm not sure what lowball offers you are referring to, other than maybe Tmac's.  He's not going to get Schneider-like offers.  Last season goalies were at a premium, so you won't see a Martin Jones trade either.  The Oilers traded a late 2nd a mid 3rd and a 7th for Talbot.

Maybe Wideman + a 2nd is not too far off.  It then is not a cap dump.  They get a RHS that could help in D scoring.  We could add Jooris and they send Fehr to help on the cap.

I actually don't expect Bishop to hit the market. To me that leaves Fleury and Andersen as really the only legit starters that I see as being on the move, sure others might surface but I don't see any that I would count on at this point.

With Calgary, Toronto and possibly the Islanders, Dallas, Buffalo looking to improve their goaltending their is enough of a market to not take low ball offers.

Dallas has to rid themselves of Niemi or Letting-it-in to take MAF.  Buffalo gave up a 1st for Lehner.  NYI as a potential starter in Greiss and also have Halak.

I'm not sure what lowball offers you are referring to, other than maybe Tmac's.  He's not going to get Schneider-like offers.  Last season goalies were at a premium, so you won't see a Martin Jones trade either.  The Oilers traded a late 2nd a mid 3rd and a 7th for Talbot.

Maybe Wideman + a 2nd is not too far off.  It then is not a cap dump.  They get a RHS that could help in D scoring.  We could add Jooris and they send Fehr to help on the cap.

Dallas has to rid themselves of Niemi or Letting-it-in to take MAF.  Buffalo gave up a 1st for Lehner.  NYI as a potential starter in Greiss and also have Halak.

I would be surprised if Pittsburgh wanted Wideman as they play a speed game and their defense has to be able to make quick passes out of the zone, Wideman doesn't do either very well. Maybe at half price. I think Wotherspoon and a 2nd might be more to their speed.

Bylsma is in Buffalo now and might be keen to the idea of reuniting with Fleury.

Bylsma is in Buffalo now and might be keen to the idea of reuniting with Fleury.

He is but he's coach (Tim Murray is GM) so isn't in charge of trades.

Sabres gave up a 1st & took on Legwand to get Lehner although Lehner & MAF would be an interesting tandem.

Think he'll still be there by the 7th round? Rinne is a 7th round pick. Ya never know.

To be Totally honest, I am a little curious about him!   But no way he gets drafted....would be fun to give him an AHL tryout.

Why not pick a goalie actually ranked in the top 36 NA goalies.

How about Matt Murray from Spruce Grove AJHL, ranked 25th of NA goalies.  At least that way you can say we got Murray.

Sure.   Well if we're going that way, we should pick this guy up too:

http://www.eliteprospects.com/player.php?player=117022

• Like 1

Puuleeze.

No tanks to Niemi.  The two most likely are MAF and Andersen.  Possible outside chance on Elliott, but that would be a steal.

4 options right now.

a) MAF from Pitt - only if expansion forces it

B) Anderson from ANA - only if expansion forces it or RFA deal can't get done

c) Niemi for Wideman - Allows both teams to shift a contract they don't want to pay to a team that could make use of a decent player, just one that has an undesirable contract. (Niemi is more about having over 10M in goalie contracts)

d) UFA likely Reimer OR outside chance of Chad Johnson or Antii Raanta

Doing nothing isnt an option. Need a second goalie in NHL. 

4 options right now.

c) Niemi for Wideman - Allows both teams to shift a contract they don't want to pay to a team that could make use of a decent player, just one that has an undesirable contract. (Niemi is more about having over 10M in goalie contracts)

Just saw Rutherford in an interview talking carefully about being able to keep both his goalies. I honestly think Rutherford wants to get younger in PIT and will trade Fleury and Malkin. Depending on where Stamkos land I could see Malkin in DET. If the Flames want Fleury I think it takes a good package just so Rutherford can save face.

4 options right now.

I think travel_dude has it right. Niemi is not really an option because he would just perpetuate an existing problem. If Treliving snags him and we have another poor season in net, his head will be on a stick. I am not a MAF fan, but I suspect he is the best option at the moment.

4 options right now.

Wideman falls off the end of the year and Niemi has 2 years left.  He was had average SA% and an "okay" GAA.  It only helps Dallas get out of a bad contract.

Expansion is basically a done deal, so it really just comes down to cost.  Rutherford said "in a perfect world he keeps both goalies", but it is not perfect.  They need to do something to be able to keep Murray.  Anaheim is pretty high on Gibson.  They are an internal cap team, so they can't really afford to pay his new deal.  

Wideman falls off the end of the year and Niemi has 2 years left.  He was had average SA% and an "okay" GAA.  It only helps Dallas get out of a bad contract.

Expansion is basically a done deal, so it really just comes down to cost.  Rutherford said "in a perfect world he keeps both goalies", but it is not perfect.  They need to do something to be able to keep Murray.  Anaheim is pretty high on Gibson.  They are an internal cap team, so they can't really afford to pay his new deal.  

They have to announce this expansion yet so when would an expansion draft happen timing wise ?

It would be between SC final and entry draft. And there is no guarantee that it will force a teams hands for this season unless some other rules of engagements come down that lock a player to a roster. 

I can see Pitt really wanted to take another kick at the can with the players they got and then worrying about dealing them in that short window.