s4xon

I think it's too early to abandon Ramo. He was great last year and was still good this year up until the last game and I think coming in cold like that is sometimes tough to do for a guy who wants to be the starter. I think he should, and will, get another chance and I personally think that should start next game. Numbers won't back me up, but IMO hiller has been starting to leak for a few games now and I think needs more then just one game off.

I no longer believe in Ramo as the Flames future.  He's just gap stop before the Flames bring up either Ortio, Gillies, or Macdonald.

Hopefully, we lock up Hiller long term enough that we give these kids 2 to 4 years to challenge for the starters role.

Totally agree.  

Except for Macdonald?

Gillies now has three solid games in a row.  Some exceptional, actually.   It'll take a few more weeks of that to get him back on top of the leaderboard, but it looks like he still has a good season ahead of him:

http://www.uscho.com/stats/player/mid,21374/jon-gillies/

Ortio.... has two okay games in now.

http://theahl.com/stats/gamebygame.php?id=4090

It looks like Gillies had a momentary lapse, whereas Ortio may have really started the season a step back, and is improving quickly but isn't yet where he was last year.

I'm sure there are side-stories to both we'll never hear about.  I am quite sure that their confidence both took a hit in the offseason.  Ortio by the signing of Hiller, and Gillies by the lack of signing altogether.   But whatever the case, Gillies is coming around quickly and Ortio is headed in the right direction as well.

I feel like they shouldn't consistently play the hot goalie every game. It gets the other goalie out of any groove they'd get in. In the Kipper days, I wonder, had they played the back-ups more often, would they have gotten more out of Kipper and their back-ups. Kipper playing so much, didn't allow for our back-ups to see game action and therefore didn't do very well. 

If they play one goalie too much, they run the risk of losing the other's groove

Totally agree.  

Except for Macdonald?

Gillies now has three solid games in a row.  Some exceptional, actually.   It'll take a few more weeks of that to get him back on top of the leaderboard, but it looks like he still has a good season ahead of him:

It looks like Gillies had a momentary lapse, whereas Ortio may have really started the season a step back, and is improving quickly but isn't yet where he was last year.

I'm sure there are side-stories to both we'll never hear about.  I am quite sure that their confidence both took a hit in the offseason.  Ortio by the signing of Hiller, and Gillies by the lack of signing altogether.   But whatever the case, Gillies is coming around quickly and Ortio is headed in the right direction as well.

Why not Macdonald? I get you prefer Ortio and Gilles but I would say Macdonald has as good a shot as those two and like them started slow but has turned it on as of late. Very much in the long term mix IMO.

Totally agree.  

Except for Macdonald?

Gillies had a less than stellar WJC, so he was reluctant to leave college knowing his performance might result in being a free agent. Staying in college was the best decision, since he is still young and inexperienced. His hip injury didn't help his season and summer prep. I'm not really worried about his season in the NCAA, since he will need seasoning in the pros before starting in the NHL. Loads of time on that one.

Ortio has me more worried. I think his confidence should have been buoyed by the contract he just signed, with a 1 way in year 2. He wasn't ready to take on the work as a backup this season. He would not get consistent starts. He needs playing time this year to show it wasn't a fluke.

Mason isn't a worry to me, since he is a kid playing on a QMJHL basement team. He is years away from the NHL.

As much as I've enjoyed HIller this season, I think starting him tomorrow is a mistake.  His recent play as been less than we've come to expect (although not all the goals-against can be laid on him).  I think Ramo needs a few games to run with, win or lose, and what better place to gain a little confidence than at home?

As much as I've enjoyed HIller this season, I think starting him tomorrow is a mistake. His recent play as been less than we've come to expect (although not all the goals-against can be laid on him). I think Ramo needs a few games to run with, win or lose, and what better place to gain a little confidence than at home?

I agree. I really thought Ramo would get the start tomorrow. Maybe Hiller has lights out numbers against the 'Yotes.

I agree. I really thought Ramo would get the start tomorrow. Maybe Hiller has lights out numbers against the 'Yotes.

Ramo played 2 games against the Yotes last season, both in Calgary:

4-1 win 0.967 SV% 1.0 GA 1st star

3-2 win 0.938 SV%  2.0 GA 1st star

Hiller played 5 games last year.

3-2 SO win 0.938 SV% 2.0 GA 2nd star (Home game)

5-2 win 0.923 SV% 2.0 GA (Home game)

3-2 OT win 0.920 SV% 2.0 GA (Home game)

4-2 win 0.955 SV% 2.0 GA 2nd star (Away game)

5-3 win 0.903 SV% 3.0 GA 3rd star (Away game)

Gillies had a less than stellar WJC, so he was reluctant to leave college knowing his performance might result in being a free agent. Staying in college was the best decision, since he is still young and inexperienced. His hip injury didn't help his season and summer prep. I'm not really worried about his season in the NCAA, since he will need seasoning in the pros before starting in the NHL. Loads of time on that one.

Ortio has me more worried. I think his confidence should have been buoyed by the contract he just signed, with a 1 way in year 2. He wasn't ready to take on the work as a backup this season. He would not get consistent starts. He needs playing time this year to show it wasn't a fluke.

Mason isn't a worry to me, since he is a kid playing on a QMJHL basement team. He is years away from the NHL.

Ortio's coming around now.  He had me worried too.  But he's had four very solid games in a row now, and just recorded his first shutout:

I think we're in good shape again.   I kind of wonder if the Hiller signing affected him.  But in any case, he's back where he was and as long as he keeps doing what he's doing he'll be up on the leaderboard soon enough.

Ortio's coming around now.  He had me worried too.  But he's had four very solid games in a row now, and just recorded his first shutout:

I think we're in good shape again.   I kind of wonder if the Hiller signing affected him.  But in any case, he's back where he was and as long as he keeps doing what he's doing he'll be up on the leaderboard soon enough.

Haven't had much of a sample yet, but I wonder whether Ortio will pass Ramo on the depth chart by year end. On one hand you have a NHL goalie, still young and can win you games. On the other hand you have a prospect goalie that might be able to handle a backup position in the NHL.

I just don't know which is riskier, Ramo extension or going all-in on Ortio in the NHL as a backup. We had so many years of McBackup. Now we actually have two McStarters.

Haven't had much of a sample yet, but I wonder whether Ortio will pass Ramo on the depth chart by year end. On one hand you have a NHL goalie, still young and can win you games. On the other hand you have a prospect goalie that might be able to handle a backup position in the NHL.

I just don't know which is riskier, Ramo extension or going all-in on Ortio in the NHL as a backup. We had so many years of McBackup. Now we actually have two McStarters.

As long as the Flames are winning games and Ramo looks good I doubt the coaches disrupt things this season. Even if we lose Ramo for nothing.

Man seeing us this season with two solid netminders makes me wonder about all those years with 70 plus games of kipper... He probably wouldn't have had those off years if he had a solid backup to take the pressure off.

Anyways, I hope Ramo actually gets the ball to run with this time, he's a 1b guy who in my mind can play 30-40 games a season and be solid. I hope we re-sign him at the end of the season and maybe try to trade Hiller next year to get Ortio up (who I'm still not sold on as being an NHL goalie). 

I hope Ramo keeps it up. I just think he's better than most give him credit for. I don't want the team to run with him through the ground. I think a healthy tandem would work well, because both will be very fresh and on top of their games. If they have winning streaks going, I don't mind if they sit one if it looks like they can be on their way to being shaky. 

Hiller probably would have done well with some rest and not looked as shaky as he has the last few games. 

• Like 1

Well, Ramo kept it up.  2 doors slammed shut in a row for the Finn.  Keep on rolling Ramo, we need you to keep this team's playoff hopes alive!

Flower, nothing wrong with being excited.  It's been awesome to witness this underdog of a team play so well and intimidate the big dogs.  I'm only hoping the goaltending performance continues from the tandem well into the new year.  The Christmas break can be a killer for momentum.

Well, Ramo kept it up.  2 doors slammed shut in a row for the Finn.  Keep on rolling Ramo, we need you to keep this team's playoff hopes alive!

Flower, nothing wrong with being excited.  It's been awesome to witness this underdog of a team play so well and intimidate the big dogs.  I'm only hoping the goaltending performance continues from the tandem well into the new year.  The Christmas break can be a killer for momentum.

I know, the christmas break can sometimes be a hinderance rather than a help. 

Really pleased that he got the back to back shutouts.. ever since last year i've been thinking there's something special about him. He did have a few wobbles earlier in the year but he's certainly on form now.. i hope he can keep it up. or should i say i hope both of our goalies can keep it up. stellar play from mr ramo!  :D

• Like 1