Hurricanes Sign Semin To Five-Year Extension

Carty

Carolina has signed Semin to a five-year extension for $7 mil a year...     http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=662082&navid=nhl:topheads

The 29 year old right winger should have some good years ahead of him...

He seems to be a good fit, and Staal has benefited from his being with the Hurricanes this season...

Thoughts on the contract?

He deserves it. I'm glad he's out of Washington, they created the monster.

Carolina gets the terrific hockey player who in turn gets Ovechkin minus the silliness in Eric Staal.

I think Semin had more maturity than Ovechkin, and playing 2nd fiddle to antics likely bothered him.

Playing 2nd to Staal is a completely different proposition.

I think Semin's been much maligned. He's a great hockey player, and I think he holds a lot of dignity in that. I'd have been sad if he went back to Russia. He's more than good enough to play in this league.

Do I think he's $35mil good enough?

Yup.

If he goes to the KHL tomorrow he is instantly far and away the best player in that league.

I anticipate he'll also be a respectful and respected leader around the league.

Great job Jimmy!!

Are you basing that on his 30games/8G/22A/30pts/+18 this year? :lol:

No.. he's basing it on the criticism from bitter Caps fans from a few yrs ago (and ex-teammates). Understandable.

But Nothing but massive praise from Carolina teammates this yr for his work ethic.

He's turned a page in his career and his approach... and everything seems in line with his extreme talent finally.

Basically he's EARNED it.

And how many highlight reel passes have we seen already this yr from the guy?

He's obviously much more than a sniper...

Even remember him diving back on a backcheck trying to breakup a 2 on 1.. unsuccessful i believe... but the effort level is maxed out right now..

On a tangent a bit... i never realized he played pre-lockout.. made his debut in 03-04 with 52 gms... but stayed in Russia for the lockout and an extra yr thereafter... so i was assuming he was a post lockout addition (06-07) to the caps.. but no....

n a tangent a bit... i never realized he played pre-lockout.. made his debut in 03-04 with 52 gms... but stayed in Russia for the lockout and an extra yr thereafter... so i was assuming he was a post lockout addition (06-07) to the caps.. but no....

He stayed in Russia after his 1st year due to contract dispute. He was touted as perhaps thee best Russian hockey player prior to returning, even by some locked out NHLers in the K.

The scouting was insane on him prior to his return, to the point I stole him in the late round of pools. A lot of "franchise player" and how Ovechkin's debut with this guy helping him was going to be special

But it's wierd how that went in following years as he battled injuries and uninspired play.

It seems like even when he picked up his D play, the guilty verdict was in.

He couldn't buy one when it mattered, but who on the Caps could?

I feel he was scapegoated, and Washington looks no better now that they cut him loose.

I can argue they're worse off.

I like the signing and think he'll prove he's worth it.

But as I say this I'm aware Carolina's nose-diving. But it"s Cam Ward's team 1st and foremost, as he goes they'll go.

Archived