2013 Calder Trophy

conundrumed

Not that I think he's the best player in the group (not even close), however, I think the Rangers are going to have a great year and Kreider will get a good role in it, so I think he has a real chance.

There will be stupid hype regarding Schultz and Yakupov.

I think Baertschi will prove that he is as good of an NHLer as any of them. However, no one will notice outside of Calgary.

Not that I think he's the best player in the group (not even close), however, I think the Rangers are going to have a great year and Kreider will get a good role in it, so I think he has a real chance.

I think Baertschi will prove that he is as good of an NHLer as any of them. However, no one will notick outside of Calgary.

I missed the guy from my own team lol!

I think Baertschi will prove that he is as good of an NHLer as any of them. However, no one will notick outside of Calgary.

Adding Nash is HUGE for the Rangers.

Kreider's role is questionable though. If he lines with Callahan, look out.

If not, maybe notsomuch.

Yakupov HAS to have top 6 and PP time, of the whole group, he is definitely not capable of bottom 6 responsibilities.

I'm guessing he and Tarasenko have the type of ice time to make them the top candidates.

The award is Kuznetsov's when he shows up, imo. A lot better than both of those guys.

Both Schultz and Hamilton and a couple other dmen will make waves and perhaps a case for the trophy.

Adding Nash is HUGE for the Rangers.

Kreider's role is questionable though. If he lines with Callahan, look out.

If not, maybe notsomuch.

Yakupov HAS to have top 6 and PP time, of the whole group, he is definitely not capable of bottom 6 responsibilities.

I'm guessing he and Tarasenko have the type of ice time to make them the top candidates.

The award is Kuznetsov's when he shows up, imo. A lot better than both of those guys.

Both Schultz and Hamilton and a couple other dmen will make waves and perhaps a case for the trophy.

Completely agree that Kuznetsov is the better player. But what role they get obviously plays a big factor.

I think Yakupov probably gets his points, but I also think the flaws in his game will be readily apparent.

Completely agree that Kuznetsov is the better player. But what role they get obviously plays a big factor.

I think Yakupov probably gets his points, but I also think the flaws in his game will be readily apparent.

I agree Yakupov is one dimensional. Problem being he's incredible at about 5 dimensions within that one, which is offence.

As a Sting guy I'm a Yakupov fan. So I'm jaded.

But on the Russian jrs, SSS and WJC, I saw a lot of examples of nobody being with him on the play. Carry the puck in, camera pans, see 3-4 opponents jersies before a teammates.

In Sarnia, he'd get the puck and everyone would get on their ponies. Meaning, get him the puck, he's gone.

I'm assuming Sarnia is more like Edmonton coaching than Russian coaching.

Both he and Galchenyuk from the Sting are one of a kind top 6 guys, just a question of when and how imo.

From what I've seen anyways, which doesn't count for much.

What Schulz has accomplished so far in the AHL is nothing short of insane. He will turn a lot of heads.

What Schulz has accomplished so far in the AHL is nothing short of insane. He will turn a lot of heads.

it sure was and we shall see.

One thing the Oil have going for them this year (with the short and compact schedule) is that offense has the initial advantage until defense can react. With the schedule the way it is, it will take teams longer to react and adjust. But react and adjust they eventually will.

it sure was and we shall see.

One thing the Oil have going for them this year (with the short and compact schedule) is that offense has the initial advantage until defense can react. With the schedule the way it is, it will take teams longer to react and adjust. But react and adjust they eventually will.

yes they will for sure. Another reaction that stopped Edmontons' early surge last year was physical play. It took a while before most teams realized that all they had to do was start smacking us around to beat us. Edmonton has to get bigger, stronger, tougher, and better defensively. (Sheesh I sounded like a bad six million dollar man intro there). They are working on it. I personally believe that they have improved on the back end, and the defensemen that they have are getting better and more experienced. Things are finally starting to come together for my team, but they are still far from being a legit contender.

As far as I can tell, all players listed will be in their respective team camps.

Kuznetsov will win next year, barring any mishaps. He has a year left on his KHL contract and should join the Caps as a 22yo. A 6'3" center with monster skills, wow, where do I sign!!

I believe he signed a two-year contract this summer, so he can't come over until at least the 2014-2015 season. He's easily the biggest offensive talent outside the NHL, but his defense is average at the best of times and his commitment is definitely a question mark around the NHL after passing up a chance to play with Ovechkin (and the Caps were considered one of the best-qualified teams to bring him over at the time, with Varlamov, Semin and Ovie).

Therrien mentioned that old phrase "special player", in regards to Alex Galchenyuk from camp.

Tends to be following him around.

Lining up on LW with Eller and Gionta in camp.

I'm guessing he wouldn't be a dark horse but a contender had he not missed near all of last year.

If he finds himself in the top 9 and productive enough after a 6 game try, he's definitely my dark horse if that happens.

Is it worth it to MTL? It's worth considering why bother sending him down to learn nothing? He's already the dominant male of this year's OHL. Even bad games you still see the most skill on the ice in one player...

WJC can be argued, but he still has a gold medal as a role player without whining about it.

Still, 8 pts in 7 games. I've seen the arguments, "sure, passing it to Trouba". I'd argue no, knowing HOW to get Trouba the shot.

As much as I like Sven, i think the competition is too thick for him to win the Calder. You have players like Granlund, Huberdeau, Tarasenko, Yakupov who are all slated to play very key roles for the team. I think the Flames view Sven as a great addition, but not a feature attraction (at this point) so I think he'll be in tough.

My money is on Granlund as i think he is in the best scenario. He'll play a key role for the Wild, but he still has alot of help around him as well so the pressure shouldn't get to the same level as say a Huberdeau. I think it will come down to Grandlund or Tarasenko.

As much as I like Sven, i think the competition is too thick for him to win the Calder. You have players like Granlund, Huberdeau, Tarasenko, Yakupov who are all slated to play very key roles for the team. I think the Flames view Sven as a great addition, but not a feature attraction (at this point) so I think he'll be in tough.

My money is on Granlund as i think he is in the best scenario. He'll play a key role for the Wild, but he still has alot of help around him as well so the pressure shouldn't get to the same level as say a Huberdeau. I think it will come down to Grandlund or Tarasenko.

I also think Granlund and Tarasenko have the bestsituations. And Edmonton doesn't care about defense or winning, so Yakupov will get his points.

I am more concerned with continuing to develop Baertschi into a great player - rookie hype is irrelevant

I also think Granlund and Tarasenko have the bestsituations. And Edmonton doesn't care about defense or winning, so Yakupov will get his points.

I am more concerned with continuing to develop Baertschi into a great player - rookie hype is irrelevant

Agreed... That said, I will still smile every time Sven gets a point... :)

• 2 weeks later...

Conacher: 5-7/12pts +8

Tarasenko:5-5/10pts +8

Galchenyuk: 1-6/7pts +5

That's our leaders up front. Conacher, wow, perfect setting.

All 3 are helping their teams win games. Galchenyuk's assists are typically 1st assists, not 2nd. Ahhh, my dark horse...look out!

The Oiler Fans who linger around here will be disappointed you don't have Nail on your list.

I'm leaning towards Alex Galchenyuk myself this season.

The Oiler Fans who linger around here will be disappointed you don't have Nail on your list.

I'm leaning towards Alex Galchenyuk myself this season.

It's point leaders. Plus, Galchenyuk was in Yakupov's shadow.

It's great personally for me as I never saw it that way.

Both will be top players in the league, methinks.

But Conacher is definitely giving me the finger, hahaha.

Tarasenko, no surprise.

Archived