Coda Gordon Watch

Still just me posting to myself, but that won't be for much longer.

Coda's on a tear.

http://www.whl.ca/stats/show

13 points in 10 games, 5 goals.

For his draft year, if I'm not mistaken, he's on top.

I believe the next best is Henrik Samuelsson (11 points), the Coyotes First-round 2012 pick, and I'd imagine they're extremely happy with his performance.

Points-wise, there's nothing here to distinguish him from Ryan Howse the year after he was drafted.

Not yet. But this is a much more talent-laden WHL than previous years. Nearly every defenseman and goalie elligible to stay, stayed. That's why Coda's 11th overall right now. Howse couldn't break the top 25 in his year.

• 2 months later...
  • Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well....

October was Brutal for Coda...again, just like last year. 6 points and 1 goal in 11 games.

Ouch.

Things seem to have picked up in December though...he has 3 goals in his last 6 games including a nice performance last night.

Hopefully he can pick things up in the new year, or I'll have to resign to everyone who considers him more of an unlikely project. I do hate being wrong. Come on...Coda!

Absolutely,

It's a guaranteed side effect of thinking and forming your own opinions.

Trust me, it's worth it.

To be fair your not wrong because there is no ending yet. Gordon may very well be in the NHL at some point. You just tend to get over excited/ overrate prospects based on short stints. Can't say that is "wrong"

• 3 weeks later...

To be fair your not wrong because there is no ending yet. Gordon may very well be in the NHL at some point. You just tend to get over excited/ overrate prospects based on short stints. Can't say that is "wrong"

Thanks cross16...I know they're not all going to turn out, but I am genuinely excited about the last 2 drafts.

And I really truly am, at heart: A pessimist. Maybe that's why I follow the recent prospects ...I can't bare to think about the rest.

Anyway, Coda Gordon has just exploded for 8 points and 5 goals in his last 3 games.

The consistency may not be there, but I truly believe the potential is. I put far more weight in his seemingly random 5-point nights than I do in the long stretches of no points. He's young...he can hopefully figure out the inconsistencies (I believe these are the nights that he's been unfairly categorized as lacking talent).

There are a finite number of players his age who can put together 5-point nights (JC Lipon and Ty Rattie each pulled it off once this year...I don't know of any others). His improvement has massive up and down swings, but it is improvement nonetheless. He certainly didn't have any 5-point nights last year. And certainly no 5G, 8P streaks like his last 3 games.

Just like that...he's back on the leaderboard. Tied for 29th overall...and ahead of his pace last year (he already has more assists than all of last year).

• 9 months later...

Coda's off to a good start this year...11th overall in the WHL, with a healthy mix of goals, asssists, and a good plus/minus.

He looked markedly improved in training camp, and seems to be carrying that through.   

Will this be the year that Coda sheds his streaky play and becomes a consistent offensive threat?

(it had better be lol...it's his last year of junior)

In prospects camp I saw flashes of talent in this kid raw talent that is , He's got his work cut out for him with the flaws in his game (Skating, Strength, Consistency)   that will effect him at the pro level much like most other kids!  If he can Improve on those things then I think we might have something there! Glad to see he's off to a strong start! On the flipside Howse  looked real good in the WHL and well we all know how that turned out Byran Cameron also comes to mind although Gordon has the size over Cameron, He was a force in the OHL but ended up a bust at the pro ranks  so really id like to see him a year in the AHL and see how he evolves before getting too excited or write him off just yet. Hopefully he has the commitment Howes didn't and uses his size that Cameron didn't and turns out to be a useful draft pick! It would be nice successfully developing a local Cochrane boy into the system !

Woah, Coda!   14 points in 8 games, 

7th overall in the WHL...

Do we have something here?  If he had kept at this pace last year, I would say yes, without question.

Given his last year in the WHL, it's hard to say.   But he's sure looking good.

I don't mind Gordon but before I think of him as an NHL calibre prospect is have to see his skating improve. He is a very average skater IMO

Yeah, true. 

This has already been posted, but for newcomers:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632724

Considering that he essentially learned how to skate (and walk) 4 years ago, I'm willing to give him a few extra years to develop the skating aspect.   Very hard to evaluate a player after an injury like this.  Given the extent of it, I take his recent success seriously, even though it's a year later than we would normally get excited about for prospects.

I'm not saying it's an excuse that can last forever.  But combined with his recent success.....I think it buys him some extra time to develop.  He simply won't have developed the same muscle memory (more to do with his nervous system than his muscles) as his peers, at a crucial age where it develops much faster than for old farts like us.  6 months of missed muscle memory at that age might equate to 2 years of hard training in his late teens to catch up.

Ultimately, you're right:  The skating will have to improve more than it does for most at that age.  Somehow, someway.

• 5 weeks later...
  • 4 months later...

I am a little surprised they signed Gordon.  But he clearly has some offensive upside and I guess it is worth a look to see if it translates to pro.

I think an AHL deal makes sense to see of he can make that transition. He's plateaued a fair bit which concerns me he can play at the next level and his skating needs work but he's got enough offensive upside to warrant the shot at the AHL rather then signing him to an NHL deal yet.

I think an AHL deal makes sense to see of he can make that transition. He's plateaued a fair bit which concerns me he can play at the next level and his skating needs work but he's got enough offensive upside to warrant the shot at the AHL rather then signing him to an NHL deal yet.

Sorry, I thought it was an NHL deal.  I didn't think an NHL deal made sense right now.  I agree that an AHL deal makes sense.  

• 5 weeks later...

I think Flames have to sign him before June 1st. Otherwise he goes back into this years (2014) Draft? Is this right? Do Flames sign him? Like to see him get a chance with the heat for a couple of years before we give up on him..

I think Flames have to sign him before June 1st. Otherwise he goes back into this years (2014) Draft? Is this right? Do Flames sign him? Like to see him get a chance with the heat for a couple of years before we give up on him..

Correct. If we dont sign him he goes back into the draft. IMO I dont see the flames signing him to an NHL contract. The only thing i can see happening is an AHL contract

• 2 weeks later...

Coda kind of reminds me of Ryan Howse, plays on a good line in the dub to inflate his #'s but dont think that translates into NHL success... He is however a Flame prospect and I see value in playing him in the AHL, could be a late bloomer that can add a little offense to your bottom six. If so tthis is a win for the club, but im not gonna hold my breathe.

I'd pass. I don't think Gordon is an NHL prospect at this point so I don't see the value of spending a contract and space in the organization that could go elsewhere. He's just not strong enough of a skater ans is not progressing, he's plateauing

• 2 weeks later...

I'd pass. I don't think Gordon is an NHL prospect at this point so I don't see the value of spending a contract and space in the organization that could go elsewhere. He's just not strong enough of a skater ans is not progressing, he's plateauing

They let him walk so he will go back into the draft I don't see it on the Flames website but they have it on the facebook page https://www.facebook.com/NHLFlames/photos/a.232095098703.135733.23106553703/10152433432818704/?type=1&theater

Also Eric Roy was offered a contract. I couldn't find a Topic for him but i'm sure if he signs one will come around to talk about.

Kind of a funny end to this thread I OP'd with high optimism:  I agree with cross.  :)

I think the Flames made the right move drafting him.   Even in hindsight, I think the risk was worth the potential reward.

But he's not an NHL prospect at this point, as cross said.

The Heat FINALLY have some real prospects coming through their pipeline.  They will need to make some tough, tough decisions over these next few years as our hopeful Stanley Cup championship team passes through their system.

Coda just didn't make the cut.   They will have much harder deicisions to make than this in the next few years.

Archived