Coda Gordon Watch

I'd like to start a Coda Gordon Watch.

This is a bit premature, but I....just don't care. After getting flak for mentioning his name in other threads, I felt he needed his own.

Somehow, we got him in the sixth round of the 2012 draft. No idea how, as he put up better numbers than some of the first-rounders. I've heard a lot of conjecture as to why. Honestly, think the biggest reason is that he missed the previous year due to injury and thus wasn't as well known. Of course, this just means that he put up these numbers in his Rookie season, which is even more impressive, to me at least.

Similar to Baertschi, I suspect he'll be easy to track. Just go to the WHL leaders page:

http://www.whl.ca/stats/show

You can see him currently tied for 8th overall, although this is the preseason.

In his age category (or younger), he's 2nd overall, behind Oliver Bjorkstrand, who has played one more game.

Looking forward to seeing what this "Sixth Rounder" can do!

• Replies 53
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to start a Coda Gordon Watch.

This is a bit premature, but I....just don't care. After getting flak for mentioning his name in other threads, I felt he needed his own.

Somehow, we got him in the sixth round of the 2012 draft. No idea how, as he put up better numbers than some of the first-rounders. I've heard a lot of conjecture as to why. Honestly, think the biggest reason is that he missed the previous year due to injury and thus wasn't as well known. Of course, this just means that he put up these numbers in his Rookie season, which is even more impressive, to me at least.

Similar to Baertschi, I suspect he'll be easy to track. Just go to the WHL leaders page:

You can see him currently tied for 8th overall, although this is the preseason.

In his age category (or younger), he's 2nd overall, behind Oliver Bjorkstrand, who has played one more game.

Looking forward to seeing what this "Sixth Rounder" can do!

-Skating needs work

-Strength needs improvement

-blahblahblah....standard "needs to work in all zones" ramble

I was a guy who really liked him last year, and I would have picked him up in the midrounds so I love the fact that he dropped to us at 165th. But let's be honest, he's a bigtime project. If he pans out it'll be as the second coming of David Moss. And Moss took 6 years to get here.

I'll take the "wait-and-see" approach. No offense to you JJ but we saw this last year with Granlund too, who you ended up admitting that you probably overrated after your viewings at rookie camp. Gordan doesn't have that dynamic game people want to see from scoring wingers, but he isn't gritty or has the smarts of a grinding forward either.

Well personally, I prefer Vacheron Constantin. Is Coda Gordon Swiss made?

Heh... but honestly speaking, post-Dutter, this team is beginning to take more chances and gambles with their late round picks. They use to go super safe and draft the grinders/leaders with their late picks. I like the new philosophy and as long as even one of these kids pan out, then it would all be worth it.

Well personally, I prefer Vacheron Constantin. Is Coda Gordon Swiss made?

Heh... but honestly speaking, post-Dutter, this team is beginning to take more chances and gambles with their late round picks. They use to go super safe and draft the grinders/leaders with their late picks. I like the new philosophy and as long as even one of these kids pan out, then it would all be worth it.

Very funny :)

I was hoping for Kevin Roy in the later rounds, actually.

But, Coda Gordon is bigger and I'm excited to see what he can do.

Considering that his femur was completely smashed apart in 2008, it shouldn't come as a huge surprise that his skating is slightly behind:

http://www.nhl.com/ice/news.htm?id=632724

With one leg shorter than the other, it took him two years to recover (grow the other leg out), finally playing again in 2010 (but for high school).

Given that last year was his Rookie WHL year, anything is possible. To score 30 goals in your Rookie WHL year, after an injury like this, is highly impressive.

Where does 30 goals in your rookie season compare to players drafted in the first round?

It makes him comparable to Radek Faksa, the 5th forward drafted overall (2012):

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8476889

That is, if you consider the OHL to be comparable to the WHL. Which it's not. So it would be somewhere above that. And, if you ignore the fact that Radek has two more years of development under his belt than Gordon. Which I'm not.

Compare to the 2011 draft, and it puts him just behind Ryan Nugent Hopkins, who scored one more goal (31). Okay, so now I'm stretching it and leaving some factors out. But, that's okay, because Gordan was stretching his femur for two years before making the WHL, while RNH got to develop. And in the end, all that gave RNH was one more goal.

Risky? Sure. Reward? We'll get to find that out shortly.

I don't know if you can call any sixth rounder risky. whats the percentage that actually play a single game in the nhl?

I'm actually going to answer that question: The odds are about 30%.

An NHL team should expect to pick an NHL-calibre player in the 6th round about once every three years.

The Flames haven't been anywhere near that, and I've got no issues there.

However, my question would be, how often should a team expect an Impact player from the 6th round?

It's a lot more subjective, but once every 10 years would be Pretty fantastic. I hope it works out...we're definitely overdue by any measure.

I'm actually going to answer that question: The odds are about 30%.

An NHL team should expect to pick an NHL-calibre player in the 6th round about once every three years.

The Flames haven't been anywhere near that, and I've got no issues there.

However, my question would be, how often should a team expect an Impact player from the 6th round?

It's a lot more subjective, but once every 10 years would be Pretty fantastic. I hope it works out...we're definitely overdue by any measure.

I was hoping someone would as it wasn't rhetorical. The answer was actually higher then i expected but still doesn't disprove my point.

The way i see it is 4th liners can be found with some ease in the fa market so i would rather use our late picks for players who actually have a chance at being someone.

30% might be the number for playing a game in the NHL. But the odds are much lower that a career NHLer is picked in the later rounds. There are a number of articles available from people that have done the math. A few are linked here http://theleafsnation.com/2011/3/10/the-value-of-an-nhl-draft-pick

Jason Greger for example looked at almost 300 picks in the 6 round and found that fewer then 10% of players picked in that round players a decent number of NHL games. With only 1 being a dominant player (out of ~300). Those numbers are pretty consistent outside the first 3-rounds.

That said, it doesn't mean a player picked in the later rounds is a bust or that we shouldn't be excited about him.

30% might be the number for playing a game in the NHL. But the odds are much lower that a career NHLer is picked in the later rounds. There are a number of articles available from people that have done the math. A few are linked here http://theleafsnation.com/2011/3/10/the-value-of-an-nhl-draft-pick

Jason Greger for example looked at almost 300 picks in the 6 round and found that fewer then 10% of players picked in that round players a decent number of NHL games. With only 1 being a dominant player (out of ~300). Those numbers are pretty consistent outside the first 3-rounds.

That said, it doesn't mean a player picked in the later rounds is a bust or that we shouldn't be excited about him.

Thanks Kehatch,

Really interesting article. A little convenient how he skipped 1994 (Daniel Alfredsson), which would have brought his stats from 1 in 300 to 1 in 150, but I guess you have to draw the line somewhere.

I'm assuming the other dominant player he was talking about was Pavel Datsyuk (1998).

30% is how many make the NHL, that's right. Out of dominant players, I think he makes a point but his formula isn't particularly fair to defencemen or goatenders (hello Brian Campbell, 1997).

Lots of players that I would subjectively call "impact" players have come out of the 6th round in that time, like:

Marek Zidlicky

Ian White

Alex Kotalik (ok, not so much for us)

Andre Markov

Matt Cooke (grunt)

Mike York

So I maintain that getting an impact player every 10 years in the 6th round would be "pretty fantastic" :)

Now that I think about this more, maybe every 25 years would be more realistic for an "impact player".

But, you get 4th, 5th, 6th, and 7th round picks every year. And undrafted (Fluery was drafted in the 8th round, which doesn't event exist anymore).

So, I would disagree with his assessment that late-round picks can be just thrown away in day to day trades.

Because, while overall odds can be calculated, the reality is that it is Not evenly distributed.

Between Datsyuk,Campbell, and Alfredsson, there are 3 Stanley cups so far and possibly more coming.

While Alfredsson is cupless, he was the only sense of pride Ottawa ever had, and he has almost single-handedly led them to the finals.

You just don't get players like these in day-to-day trades. That's the folly in giving up late-round picks.

If you get a chance to do a 5-player deal with Calgary, well that's different.

But typically, an NHL team's performance in later draft rounds is very telling of their performance in later playoff rounds.

• 2 weeks later...

Yup,

He's starting this season off on the leaderboard, tied for 11th, with 3 points in two games.

Not bad for a 6th round pick, and one of the youngest players drafted in 2012.

And, not bad for a guy that missed two years of development and is only in his sophomore WHL season.

It does make one wonder: What if...what if Baertschi, Jankowski, and Gordon all turned out???

In that unlikely event, the Flames would very quickly be a team to be reckonned with. At least, on the left side.

Pssssh, with Tanguay, Glencross, Cervenka, Baertschi, Cammalleri and Comeau, we're already a team to be reckoned with on the left side. ssst.gif

Lol, no kidding....we sure do like stacking that left side.

Now, Comeau is nothing to brag about, and Baetschi is still an "if"...actually Cervenka is too.

Which leaves a bunch of Excellent, but OLD players (Tanguay, Glencross, Cammalleri).

By the time Baertschi is lighting it up, none of these players will be elite. Cervenka could Potentially still be elite then, but first we have to find out if he IS elite (and then we have to sign him as an unrestricted free agent....Again).

So...it's not that great, but I'll give you that it's Pretty decent and a HECK of a lot better than our right-side.

Because of the age of our left stars, we can afford for all our left-wing prospects to turn out, and we can afford to draft a few more still. But at some point...we're going to have to address our right-hand side, which has basically just been Iginla for the last decade :)

I've been wanting this team to draft BPA for a while now, and I got it. Our prospects are not proportioned positionally at All, lol :)

Easily solved in good time. It may just mean that we sign free agents on the right side.

Coda Gordon is playing LW in junior. He is right handed though, so he is likely going to be moved to the right side when he goes pro. It happens alot. I think it is one of the main reasons he was drafted.

Oh Gosh...um...what?

All I know dude, is that Coda shoots left. When he's playing hockey, anyway.

That's the first time I've seen HockeyDb mess up...at least, with something black and white like that.

I woulda trusted it too...

NHL 12 also has him listed as a right hand shot. I am quite skeptical about Coda though, I know he was a late rounder but he just screams Ryan Howse to me. I am not saying that is a bad thing, as I myself believe that Howse could still turn into a borderline second line player in the NHL if he reaches his peak potential, but the key word there was if. He is just like Howse, Coda Gordon is a big project, but one which could reap huge rewards.

NHL 12 also has him listed as a right hand shot. I am quite skeptical about Coda though, I know he was a late rounder but he just screams Ryan Howse to me. I am not saying that is a bad thing, as I myself believe that Howse could still turn into a borderline second line player in the NHL if he reaches his peak potential, but the key word there was if. He is just like Howse, Coda Gordon is a big project, but one which could reap huge rewards.

That's a fair assessment..a lot of similarities between the two.

However, Ryan was a Sophomore when he scored 30 goals. Coda did it as a rookie, having not really played hockey in two years. To me, that is highly impressive.

Either way, you're right. I think they were both good strategic picks. Odds are against both, but if the Flames continue to take risks like these, odds are High that one will turn out in a Big way.

No offense to you JJ but we saw this last year with Granlund too, who you ended up admitting that you probably overrated after your viewings at rookie camp.

Just because I over-rated Granlund doesn't mean that Granlund is a failed prospect, and it definitely doesn't mean that fans shouldn't be excited about him.

Granlund is by all rights our most bonafide, best prospect at Center (until Jankowski does something about that).

I was toying with the notion that he could be a first-line center. It's not happening.

But he can still be a 2nd-line center in the NHL if he continues to develop. You have to keep into perspective how high I set the bar for Granlund.

Coda Gordon is another player with extremely high potential. In the last two years, I've been Very impressed with the Flame's draft choices and I think that anyone who watched the development camp would agree that there is a skill level in our prospects which we've not seen in many years.

So, rather than discounting both, be excited for both. No, they're not all going to turn out.

• 2 weeks later...

8 points in 6 games....another year with our most recent draft picks being on the WHL leaderboard (last year being Baertschi).

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I believe this puts him above all other 2012 draft picks in the WHL. Again, our 2nd year in a row, with Baertschi last year.

Not bad for the 6th round, not bad!!

And ...yeah, somebody should have drafted Alessio Bertaggia.

Daaammn son, someones got a thing for small swiss-born players... lol

I have a thing for under-rated prospects...and the Swiss are among the most under-rated in the world. Baertschi is changing that. Smaller players have been under-rated for a long time.

But yeah, this is a Coda Gordon thread, who...isn't Swiss.

Archived