Landeskog The New Avs Captain!

gsp393

11 days younger then crosby when he took the reigns, gabriel landeskog is the newest captian of the avs.

Thoughts?

Im shocked. The team has some great players who are a little more seasoned. i would think the logical choice to be duchene or stastny but i guess they dont have the leadership qualities.

How does this impact Stastny's relationship with the team?

Not to say hes one of them, but a lot of players dont want the extra responsibility involved. Its a lot easier to just focus on playing then focus on how your teammates are doing. That said if he was looking for that spot then its a bit of a slap in the face.

Not to say hes one of them, but a lot of players dont want the extra responsibility involved. Its a lot easier to just focus on playing then focus on how your teammates are doing. That said if he was looking for that spot then its a bit of a slap in the face.

Even if he doesn't want the responsibility, will he be okay with a 19 year old having it?

While Landeskog is a good player, and had a good rookie season, I do not believe he is the next Crosby...

I think making him captain at this point in time is a risky move for the Avalanche... It could apply extra pressure on Landeskog he might not be ready to handle, and it could affect a few of the Veteran players in a negative way...

While Landeskog is a good player, and had a good rookie season, I do not believe he is the next Crosby...

I think making him captain at this point in time is a risky move for the Avalanche... It could apply extra pressure on Landeskog he might not be ready to handle, and it could affect a few of the Veteran players in a negative way...

I think they're fine. This is like a Trevor Linden and Shane Doan situation. Landeskog fits into that mold of player.

Huge risk in my opinion, one I dont agree with. I think he will make a geat captain after a few more years of experience. Right now though I think hes out of his element and wont get the respect he needs.

It didn't work with Crosby so the Avalanche are duplicating that mistake.

:D

I don't care what they have to say about him. He's no Crosby. A 19 year old comes into the league, gets 50 something points, throws a bunch of hits then gets named captain the year after. If I'm Statsny or Duchene i'm insulted. Even Hejduk, who's played his whole career for the Avs, should be insulted to have the 'C' taken off his jersey at the profit of a 19 year old.

Good luck to him whatsoever. I would have declined it if I were him anyways. That's just stupid at this point.

It didn't work with Crosby so the Avalanche are duplicating that mistake.

:D

Crosby wasnt made captain right away, had one of the best mentors to groom him, had a strong leadership cast around him and at that age was a much better player. Hate Crosby all you want but he wasnt thrown in to the situation. A much better example is Ovechkin, and that route has gotten the Caps no where fast.

Crosby wasnt made captain right away, had one of the best mentors to groom him, had a strong leadership cast around him and at that age was a much better player. Hate Crosby all you want but he wasnt thrown in to the situation. A much better example is Ovechkin, and that route has gotten the Caps no where fast.

The :D indicated sarcasm.

You figured it was fine for Crosby but wrote off Landeskog @ near the same age.

Crosby was an alternate after 1 year & full captain the next. Landeskog just skipped the alternate part (& might not need a babysitter).

I guess i'm the only on here that thinks he'll thrive in the position...

I would be worried about it only if he was any other type of playing style... But the guys is all GO every shift all game. Heart and soul player that was already leading his team last yr in energy and by example.

They could of let him get another season or two under his belt while Hedjuk was still there... but Hedjuk relinquished... not his thing.

There's a lot more that goes into being a captain than seniority... the club concluded he had the attributes they want in a captain, so they awarded him...

The :D indicated sarcasm.

You figured it was fine for Crosby but wrote off Landeskog @ near the same age.

Crosby was an alternate after 1 year & full captain the next. Landeskog just skipped the alternate part (& might not need a babysitter).

Crosby was in his 3rd season when he was made captain. He was also mentored by one of the best players ever to play. Thats a huge difference between this situation.

The Avs have watched him a lot more than me and any of you.

It's their decision and I'm sure their reasoning is solid.

They see it in him, drinking age or not, it's about hockey.

I like the move.

The league has been getting a lot younger with great forwards.

Having a young Captain has never really hurt a team.

The Avs have watched him a lot more than me and any of you.

It's their decision and I'm sure their reasoning is solid.

They see it in him, drinking age or not, it's about hockey.

I like the move.

The league has been getting a lot younger with great forwards.

Having a young Captain has never really hurt a team.

Complete myth:

71-72: 27.07 (average age of forwards)

81-82: 24.94

91-92: 26.46

01-02: 27.50

11-12: 27.03

There was a dip in the 70s due to massive expansion. And you have to go back o the 20s to see the avg age over 28. Otherwise, it has been in the 26s to 27s for the most part for the last 100 years.

Complete myth:

71-72: 27.07 (average age of forwards)

81-82: 24.94

91-92: 26.46

01-02: 27.50

11-12: 27.03

There was a dip in the 70s due to massive expansion. And you have to go back o the 20s to see the avg age over 28. Otherwise, it has been in the 26s to 27s for the most part for the last 100 years.

Players are able to extend their career to the max now compared to past era thru nutrition and proper training.. so you will see a lot more older players in the league now than ever... so i think those numbers are lacking context... significantly.

if you look deeper at the trend within this era of top end nutrition and training, even your numbers show a decrease of 1/2 yr per player over the last decade (i would say that's significant).

More specifically... the most effective players in the league today are trending to be younger.. and are trending to show a younger scoring peak... i.e. when comparing scoring peaks of players pre and post lockout, the age is a little less than before.

Players are able to extend their career to the max now compared to past era thru nutrition and proper training.. so you will see a lot more older players in the league now than ever... so i think those numbers are lacking context... significantly.

if you look deeper at the trend within this era of top end nutrition and training, even your numbers show a decrease of 1/2 yr per player over the last decade (i would say that's significant).

More specifically... the most effective players in the league today are trending to be younger.. and are trending to show a younger scoring peak... i.e. when comparing scoring peaks of players pre and post lockout, the age is a little less than before.

Median age would probably provide a better guage of the current situation.

the half year is nothing statistically. I could just as easily argue that the half year decline over the past decade is due to the rule changes. But in reality, there are too many variables at play here, and that amount of change is simply statistical noise. Also, that half year completely ignores the fact that the prior 10 years increased a year and a half - maybe it was just a mean reversion. It also ignores the fact that it is unchanged for 40 years (exactly)

The 'players can stay in better shape' argument doesn't hold water either - there were just as many Howe's Keon's, Richard's etc in past eras as there are now. Also, with a pool of 750 players, a few old guys doesn't have any significant impact.

The numbers are what they are, but people will try to look for a trend that isn't there anyway, so have at 'er.

Archived