Poll: What's The Most Likely Next Canadian Stanley Cup Champion? (other Than The Flames)

LegnaRouy

34 members have voted

1. 1. What's The Most Likely Next Canadian Stanley Cup Champion? (Other than the Flames

• Winnipeg Jets
    • Montreal Canadiens
    • Ottawa Senators
    • Vancouver Canucks
    • Edmonton Oilers
    • Toronto Maple Leafs

All long shots there.

I'll go with the Sens because they look closer then the rest.

Eliminated Jets because they're my 1C & we can't vote for our team (they're the only 1 of the bunch I cheer for. :) )

No THM due to the Ballard curse. (The old bugger's been dead a long time & even moving buildings can't help them. :lol: )

No Canadiens as long as the ability to speak french trumps talent. Add the fact PQ born players avoid that city.

Canucks are out because it would PO every Canadian that doesn't live within 50 miles of Vancouver.

Forget Edmonton because their current management has only stars in their eyes. Until 2-3 defense are the undisputed top 3 draft picks they'll keep stocking the top 9 forwards & imagine defense/goalies to come knocking.

All long shots there.

Eliminated Jets because they're my 1C & we can't vote for our team (they're the only 1 of the bunch I cheer for. :) )

No THM due to the Ballard curse. (The old bugger's been dead a long time & even moving buildings can't help them. :lol: )

No Canadiens as long as the ability to speak french trumps talent. Add the fact PQ born players avoid that city.

Canucks are out because it would PO every Canadian that doesn't live within 50 miles of Vancouver.

Forget Edmonton because their current management has only stars in their eyes. Until 2-3 defense are the undisputed top 3 draft picks they'll keep stocking the top 9 forwards & imagine defense/goalies to come knocking.

Funny how the Canucks reason they won't win has nothing to do with hockey. :P

All long shots there.

Oilers are out for next 3 years. I bet sens or vanucks

I have a feeling the Sens will take a significant step back before becoming serious contenders, kind of like the Blues from 09 to now.

I'm still not a believer that Anderson can get them to that level, unless maybe Lehner gives him a solid 1-2 punch like Luongo/Schneider have/had.

Funny how the Canucks reason they won't win has nothing to do with hockey. :P

Nor do the Ballard curse or the French language issue. POing hockey fans country wide bears = relevance to either.

Am I the only 1 that saw this thread as less then serious?

A more serious guess would be some team currently based in the US that is relocated to QC, Saskatoon or S Ont.

I voted Ottawa, Don obviously voted 'Nucks & it looks like we had 3 unidentified Oilers fans (UOFs :lol: ) sneak in.

I say Winnipeg, but to be honest it's been such a long time that I don't even remember what a Canadian team winning the Cup feels like....I wasn't anywhere near elementary school in 1993.

Although I really like FF52's post....neatly sums up my mind perfectly.

I actually think that the Oilers may be a realistic choice in this poll....odds are the next time a Canadian team wins a championship will be, what, 10 years from now? They may actually have a shot at that point. :P

Nor do the Ballard curse or the French language issue. POing hockey fans country wide bears = relevance to either.

Am I the only 1 that saw this thread as less then serious?

A more serious guess would be some team currently based in the US that is relocated to QC, Saskatoon or S Ont.

I voted Ottawa, Don obviously voted 'Nucks & it looks like we had 3 unidentified Oilers fans (UOFs :lol: ) sneak in.

well one was named prettyfly4anOilerguy

and when I saw the thread, I figured it was a pretty safe bet that the OPer is also an Oiler troll

well one was named prettyfly4anOilerguy

and when I saw the thread, I figured it was a pretty safe bet that the OPer is also an Oiler troll

I saw 1 that called himself MessierII. That must be the 3rd as I'm pretty sure you can't vote in a poll you create (not sure as I've never felt the need to do 1. I think the only threads I've started were emergency GDTs as I can usually find an existing 1 that's close enough to what I want.).

I actually think that the Oilers may be a realistic choice in this poll....odds are the next time a Canadian team wins a championship will be, what, 10 years from now? They may actually have a shot at that point. :P

And by then the Flames should have a number one centre.

Just for the record, I didn't vote.

THM = Toronto Hate Machine? I think I like that.

As much as it pains me to say it, I voted for the Canuckleheads. Personally, I feel the two strong seasons they've just had have put the necessary drive into the team as a whole, and I think they're still stinging from the Boston series a little more than is necessary. I'd have to rank them in this order:

Vancouver

Ottawa

Montreal/Calgary (either are positionally changeable)

Edmonton

THM = Toronto Hate Machine? I think I like that.

As much as it pains me to say it, I voted for the Canuckleheads. Personally, I feel the two strong seasons they've just had have put the necessary drive into the team as a whole, and I think they're still stinging from the Boston series a little more than is necessary. I'd have to rank them in this order:

Vancouver

Ottawa

Montreal/Calgary (either are positionally changeable)

Edmonton

IMO the nucks will be the new sharks. An elite team that just can't get it done.

IMO the nucks will be the new sharks. An elite team that just can't get it done.

I fear that's the way we seem to be heading. We've had a number of strong regular seasons and save for one deep run, pretty mediocre in the playoffs (except the Kings series which was a gongshow). But I do have to say that out of those teams Canucks and Sens might the closest Canadian team simply because they can at the very least make the playoffs, if not a run. Although Calgary may be looking to add to that list next year. I hope.

I think the worst part about this poll is the results: if you were to list the Canadian NHL teams in order of who I would least like to win a Cup, the result is the same.

[Though I doubt Edmonton is closer than Vancouver in reality.]

Chuckling somewhat at the lack of Toronto love....not that I'm pitying them or anything, but it does amuse me.

Besides the fact that the Oilers seem to have quite a few lurkers on our boards, this poll seems rather even. Am seeing well-traveled/recognizable posters on this board in every team's voting corner except for said Oilers. Heck, even Crude voted for the Canucks, and he's an Oilers fan.

Hard to take the Edmonton votes seriously when it's completely obvious they're mostly biased/favoritism.

Chuckling somewhat at the lack of Toronto love....not that I'm pitying them or anything, but it does amuse me.

Besides the fact that the Oilers seem to have quite a few lurkers on our boards, this poll seems rather even. Am seeing well-traveled/recognizable posters on this board in every team's voting corner except for said Oilers. Heck, even Crude voted for the Canucks, and he's an Oilers fan.

Hard to take the Edmonton votes seriously when it's completely obvious they're mostly biased/favoritism.

I actually voted for the oilers and I am by no means an oilers fan. BUT with a MAJOR caveat that there cup window is at MOST 4 years with the talent they assembled. I say this simply because if they make enough noise this year, with the talent they have you might see the same migration of older talent looking for a shot at the cup that pits saw when crosby got drafted. By no means have they drafted themselves into a perenial contender position in my mind, but if they can get competent D and a goalie who catches a hot season.... I see them much like the hawks, who the year they won the cup had to have a firesale in terms of how short it will be.

I think the nucks are currently the new sharks, and much like the flames from the mid 2000, the sedins are starting to get older, and traditionally players of their style decline quicker as speed etc. is the first things to go from my experiences. Although with schnieder as the #1 they may have a playoff tender who doesn't choke the bed every year, but he is unproven. Played decently in his games last year but 2 short of a sample.

I actually voted for the oilers and I am by no means an oilers fan. BUT with a MAJOR caveat that there cup window is at MOST 4 years with the talent they assembled. I say this simply because if they make enough noise this year, with the talent they have you might see the same migration of older talent looking for a shot at the cup that pits saw when crosby got drafted. By no means have they drafted themselves into a perenial contender position in my mind, but if they can get competent D and a goalie who catches a hot season.... I see them much like the hawks, who the year they won the cup had to have a firesale in terms of how short it will be.

I think the nucks are currently the new sharks, and much like the flames from the mid 2000, the sedins are starting to get older, and traditionally players of their style decline quicker as speed etc. is the first things to go from my experiences. Although with schnieder as the #1 they may have a playoff tender who doesn't choke the bed every year, but he is unproven. Played decently in his games last year but 2 short of a sample.

You lost me at the bolded.

Players who rely on speed or physicality tend to wear down faster. Sedins rely on neither of those things. In fact, the Sedins play the same style that sees guys like Jaromir Jagr, Ray Whitney, Martin St. Louis and Patrick Elias be very effective in their twilite years.

And if you didn't lose me there, you would have lost me at "choke the bed" :lol:

I took a peek @ the Oilers site to see what their take was on the Weber OS (some want to OS Evander Kane)& Connor started threads like this on every Canadian based site (but thought his lack of credibility here might expose him to ridicule [he said it in smaller words though :) ]).

His buddy laguna (does that smell like a refuse lagoon on the farm) stepped up for him. The rest of the thread consists of them bragging about going to the various sites, voting & running. Very manly of them :lol: .

*BTW, 1 of them stuck around long enough to see my name in this thread & tell Connor. Doh! :lol: They aren't raising rocket scientists up there.(Apologies to UC & the other mature Oilers fans.)*

I took a peek @ the Oilers site to see what their take was on the Weber OS (some want to OS Evander Kane)& Connor started threads like this on every Canadian based site (but thought his lack of credibility here might expose him to ridicule [he said it in smaller words though :) ]).

His buddy laguna (does that smell like a refuse lagoon on the farm) stepped up for him. The rest of the thread consists of them bragging about going to the various sites, voting & running. Very manly of them :lol: .

*BTW, 1 of them stuck around long enough to see my name in this thread & tell Connor. Doh! :lol: They aren't raising rocket scientists up there.(Apologies to UC & the other mature Oilers fans.)*

Did you read what I even posted on the Oilers' thread?

I wanted this poll to be uncontaminated. I posted these threads on other Canadian teams sights to see what their view of the Oilers was against other teams. Me creating this thread here would instigate people like you to purposely vote against the Oilers not necessarily because you don't believe it will be the Oilers but because I started the thread. I also posted that other people on the Oilers thread should not vote on these other sites.

Archived