Brent Sutter To Oils?

Louis23

The Oilers have a stronger fan base than the Flames. They can afford to go through a rebuild and not lose much fan support.

What dies that defenceman comment have to do with anything? The Flames can't even sign their draft picks.

There's absolutely no way you can be serious about this, or your last 3 or 4 comments on here. I haven't posted on here in a long time but this brought me out of anonymity.

First of all, there is absolutely no way for you to actually gage who has the stronger fan base. You're basing that on the fact you kept cheering for a team that finished last, year after year. Any Canadian market team's fans would do that same thing. Secondly, I can't believe you're still telling yourself that collecting first round picks was actually ever a plan. How many years in a row are you going to call it "the final stage"? How many times are you going to come on here and talk about how amazing the barons are due to your transcendental scouting staff? How hard do you really think it is to say " golly gee...every single phacking scout has this guy ranked as the number 1, I guess since my team finished last this year AGAIN, I'll take him." You know, I don't live in Calgary. So, occasionally I have to listen to people's uninformed opinions on the Flames all day. In the end I have to see that some of it must have an element of truth to it that I can't see past my Flames jersey. Connor, this is me telling you that while I respect your devotion to your team, you have to see that what the Oilers have done was made some serious mistakes in the past and if it wasn't for the safety net of the draft to protect teams like yours, who knows what would happen.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers have a solid base of prospects to build upon. They are ranked as having the 4th best depth in the league by hockeysfutre and that only is including the Nuge. Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi aren't considered prospects by their standards.

You can also see that winning is starting within the organization. The Barons were in the conference final and the Oil Kings won the WHL championship.

Vokoun isn't any better than Khabibulin. He is now a backup goaltender.

The Oilers will make moves to address their defence this off season and it won't be of the Barker variety.

How many years ago did the Oilers organization tell you this was short term? It seems every year you talk a 4 year term to become a threat. A threat to draft 1st is nowhere as significant as being a threat to win the SC (or even contending).

All those years of #1 & 31 picks should give a team a solid pool of prospects. (& that's ignoring the additional picks received for players wanting out).

The Oilers may own the Oil Kings franchise but not the roster so that doesn't apply.

Vokoun was signed to be a backup to Fleury but has a chance to take the reins & run. Habby certainly wouldn't be signed to be #1 on any team. You've previously stated you consider Dubnyk your starter.

How will the Oilers add to their defense without trading any of their pet #1 picks? UFAs will take a little less to be on a team that is @ least trying to contend & scraps don't result in top 4 D if that's what's offered. Barker was a risk worth taking. Had he not been injured most of the year he could have been a steal. But 2 teams giving up on him already made me wonder why a 1 way contract when no other teams expressed interest. Maybe the Oilers will qualify him as his "potential" is still above most of their depth chart.

There's absolutely no way you can be serious about this, or your last 3 or 4 comments on here. I haven't posted on here in a long time but this brought me out of anonymity.

First of all, there is absolutely no way for you to actually gage who has the stronger fan base. You're basing that on the fact you kept cheering for a team that finished last, year after year. Any Canadian market team's fans would do that same thing. Secondly, I can't believe you're still telling yourself that collecting first round picks was actually ever a plan. How many years in a row are you going to call it "the final stage"? How many times are you going to come on here and talk about how amazing the barons are due to your transcendental scouting staff? How hard do you really think it is to say " golly gee...every single phacking scout has this guy ranked as the number 1, I guess since my team finished last this year AGAIN, I'll take him." You know, I don't live in Calgary. So, occasionally I have to listen to people's uninformed opinions on the Flames all day. In the end I have to see that some of it must have an element of truth to it that I can't see past my Flames jersey. Connor, this is me telling you that while I respect your devotion to your team, you have to see that what the Oilers have done was made some serious mistakes in the past and if it wasn't for the safety net of the draft to protect teams like yours, who knows what would happen.

- The Saddledome was empty before the Flames made the playoffs. You can even look at the media and the message boards. The Oilers message boards have more traffic and there is much more media coverage in Edmonton on the Oilers than in Calgary on the Flames.

- The first time I even mentioned the Oilers transitioning from rebuilding to competeing was this year. It was on the Oilers boards and I started a topic on it. Don't try to put words in my mouth.

- How many 1st overall picks played on the Barons? Go check and tell me. The Oilers have better offensive and defensive prospects than the Flames and you can even exclude RNH and Hall.

- What are you getting at? The funny thing is that Flames fans talk about the "mistakes" the Oilers made from summer 2006 to the 2009-10 season. That path that lead the Oilers to where they are now is eerily similar to what the Flames are doing now. The Flames are scraping by, trying to make the playoffs, having a bunch of veteran players that no one wants. I can say the Oilers were a mess after the 2006 run and they kept trying to hold on to that. The Flames are doing the same thing now and I'm just warning you that the bottom is going to fall out soon.

How many years ago did the Oilers organization tell you this was short term? It seems every year you talk a 4 year term to become a threat. A threat to draft 1st is nowhere as significant as being a threat to win the SC (or even contending).

All those years of #1 & 31 picks should give a team a solid pool of prospects. (& that's ignoring the additional picks received for players wanting out).

The Oilers may own the Oil Kings franchise but not the roster so that doesn't apply.

Vokoun was signed to be a backup to Fleury but has a chance to take the reins & run. Habby certainly wouldn't be signed to be #1 on any team. You've previously stated you consider Dubnyk your starter.

How will the Oilers add to their defense without trading any of their pet #1 picks? UFAs will take a little less to be on a team that is @ least trying to contend & scraps don't result in top 4 D if that's what's offered. Barker was a risk worth taking. Had he not been injured most of the year he could have been a steal. But 2 teams giving up on him already made me wonder why a 1 way contract when no other teams expressed interest. Maybe the Oilers will qualify him as his "potential" is still above most of their depth chart.

- I've said several times the Oilers should be contending by 2016 if not sooner.

- The Oilers do a better job at scouting than the Flames. There you have it.

- You think Vokoun was signed to be #1 in Pittsburgh? Come on man. He is insurance. The same type of veteran insurance that Khabibulin will be with Dubnyk. The same as Biron in NY and the same type that Burke wish he had last year.

- The Oilers have more tradeable assets than #1 picks. They have other prospects and young players. I'll tell you exactly what the Oilers are going to do.

Tambellini knows he's on the clock. He has to make moves.

1. Gagner and or Paajarvi and or Hemsky are going to be packaged with picks and or prospects to get a top 4 defenceman.

2. The Oilers will sign one top 4 defence in Schultz or Rozsival or Carle.

3. They are going to add depth and functional toughness by signing one of Prust or Tootoo or Langenbrunner or Moen.

4. The Oilers might make another additional trade for either a lower end 1st rounder or a player that helps today.

The Oilers have a stronger fan base than the Flames. They can afford to go through a rebuild and not lose much fan support.

What dies that defenceman comment have to do with anything? The Flames can't even sign their draft picks.

Being the paragon of wisdom that you no doubt are, being a future GM and all... You would think that you would either know or do a little research on your on your "facts" first before making an attempt at a jab...

Tim (who?) Erixon has not exactly been lighting the league on fire... stats: http://rangers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475148

Those kind of stats hardly justify his $1,750,000.00 either... http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2058 So no loss there, this guy is not a player of the same caliber, or value, as a Pronger... And he never will be...

The defensemen comment has to do with the fact that your team had Pronger and even Souray jump like rats that saw what they believed was a sinking ship... And they were right...

As far as the offensive talent goes, soon enough the ELC's will run out, then we will all see how that pans out... Good luck with that...

But don't worry... You would have no problem unloading a few of them to fill the holes on D and in goal...

Then, there will be new holes on the offense to fill...

Buy them with offers to UFA's? Seems to me that the Oil have tossed out a few ridiculously high dollar pitches in recent years and were snubbed... And that was before the team has spent as much time at the bottom of the league as they have...

Vicious cycle... Ain't it?

Being the paragon of wisdom that you no doubt are, being a future GM and all... You would think that you would either know or do a little research on your on your "facts" first before making an attempt at a jab...

Tim (who?) Erixon has not exactly been lighting the league on fire... stats: http://rangers.nhl.com/club/player.htm?id=8475148

Those kind of stats hardly justify his $1,750,000.00 either... http://www.capgeek.com/players/display.php?id=2058 So no loss there, this guy is not a player of the same caliber, or value, as a Pronger... And he never will be...

The defensemen comment has to do with the fact that your team had Pronger and even Souray jump like rats that saw what they believed was a sinking ship... And they were right...

As far as the offensive talent goes, soon enough the ELC's will run out, then we will all see how that pans out... Good luck with that...

But don't worry... You would have no problem unloading a few of them to fill the holes on D and in goal...

Buy them with offers to UFA's? Seems to me that the Oil have tossed out a few ridiculously high dollar pitches in recent years and were snubbed... And that was before the team has spent as much time at the bottom of the league as they have...

Man you're bitter.

Souray left because we demoted him. He wanted to come up and play for the Oilers but Tambellini didn't want him close to the team.

Pronger left because he got to frisky.

Trying to re-write the story just makes you like you have nothing better to do but loathe.

Lets look at it this way. Tavares signed a 5.5 mil deal for 7 years. The Kings have 4 making an average of 6.2 mil.

The Penguins have 5 players making an average of 6.48 mil. The Blackhawks hve 6 players making an average of 5.85 mil, I can go on.

I'll give you a demo, I've given it before.

Vet(2)-RNH(6)-Yakupov(6)

Vet(2)-Hall-(6)-Eberle(6)

Hartikainen(2)-Lander(2)-Paajarvi(2)

depth(.75)-depth(1)-depth(.75)

EXTRA:depth(.75)

Offensive defenceman(6)-Shutdown defenceman(3)

Shutdown defenceman(3)-Offensive defenceman(6)

depth(2)-depth(1.5)

EXTRA:depth(.75)-depth(.75)

Starting goalie (4)

Backup (.75)

That's 65 mil.

Don't worry, the Oilers will be aight.

I can go on.

We know that... But please don't...

If you want to try and compare the Oilers situation to the Kings, Penguins or Hawks, now or in the foreseeable future, you are more delusional than I thought...

And if you want to give a "demo"... Perhaps if you gave it more thought and research, then came up with a plan that was possible, let alone understandable within reason, then more of us might give it some respect...

If you want to try and compare the Oilers situation to the Kings, Penguins or Hawks, now or in the foreseeable future, you are more delusional than I thought...

And if you want to give a "demo"... Perhaps if you gave it more thought and research, then came up with a plan that was possible, let alone understandable within reason, then more of us might give it some respect...

The Oilers are headed up and the Flames are headed down. Learn to deal with it instead of taking your frustration out on message boards.

The Oilers are headed up and the Flames are headed down. Learn to deal with it instead of taking your frustration out on message boards.

The Oilers have no place to go but up...

Once you are in the lowest depths of the basement of the league... There is no where else to go... :lol:

It is just a question of how many years the Oil can possibly stay in the toilet... Who knows, they may possibly set a new league record the way things are going...

As far as taking out frustration on the boards goes Connor... I am not the one trolling the oppositions board with asinine trade proposals and poorly thought out potential scenarios for a rival team... You are... And btw... your plans for your own team suffer from a distinct lack of logic, foresight, hindsight and feasibility as well...

Once you are in the lowest depths of the basement of the league... There is no where else to go... :lol:

It is just a question of how many years the Oil can possibly stay in the toilet... Who knows, they may possibly set a new league record the way things are going...

As far as taking out frustration on the boards goes Connor... I am not the one trolling the oppositions board with asinine trade proposals and poorly thought out potential scenarios for a rival team... You are... And btw... your plans for your own team suffer from a distinct lack of logic, foresight, hindsight and feasibility as well...

I can project the Oilers to be a contender within the next few years, can you do the same with the Flames?

My conversation goes as smart as the people I'm discussing it with. You bring nothing to the conversation as far as an intellectual arguement.

I've shown you how the Oilers can afford to keep all of their players.

I've said what moves I expect Tambellini to do in the summer to address the Oilers problems.

You just come back with these nothing statements and then fabricate the truth to suit your view. Now you accuse me of lack of logic? When you have something smart to say, say it. If not, find somebody else on the who buys what you're selling.

My conversation goes as smart as the people I'm discussing it with. You bring nothing to the conversation as far as an intellectual arguement.

I've shown you how the Oilers can afford to keep all of their players.

I've said what moves I expect Tambellini to do in the summer to address the Oilers problems.

Smart and intellectual don't belong in the same sentence as misspelling argument, just so you know...

Lots of blanks in your lineup, so you aren't proving anything. I'm sure 1st line LWers are lining up for a shot at that $2mil/yr.

Smart and intellectual don't belong in the same sentence as misspelling argument, just so you know...

Lots of blanks in your lineup, so you aren't proving anything. I'm sure 1st line LWers are lining up for a shot at that $2mil/yr.

Why does a team need three offensive players if two are elite.

Burrows with the Sedins.

Semenko with Gretzky and Kurri.

Crosby plays with Dupuis.

So your "conversation goes as smart as"? Wow, I'll bet that you make your English teacher cry when they are reading your work... :lol:

As far as an intellectual argument goes, you have already shown by many examples that you are less than capable... Not that I am interested in arguing with the local Oilers troll anyways...

You also seem to have a reading comprehension problem... Judging by your massacre of the English language, that is not surprising... Just let us know if you are having difficulties... Perhaps we can all just type slower for you... ;)

Why does a team need three offensive players if two are elite.

Burrows with the Sedins.

Semenko with Gretzky and Kurri.

Crosby plays with Dupuis.

Okay, let's say your right.

Now let's use the 2 current team examples you've provided.

Let's project your top forward talent is better than the Sedin's and Kesler.

So your ahead.

Lucky for the 'nucks, they have Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler et. al. and Luongo/Schneider.

Their top guys have an easier time with your backend, and their backend beats on your top guys.

So, how about the Pens.

Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle alone.

You won't win that "control the play competition", few can.

But let's say you guys can.

Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen...your D can't even match that.

Dubnyk/Khabi vs Fleury/Vokoun? Wow, do I even have to vote?

Grow up Connor, how well have the Oil done since the Vanek/Penner RFA offers?

Put the screws to Darcy Regier and Brian Burke.

Good call, those guys are flash in the pan that don't have any ties in the hockey world.

You know what it looks like to me?

It looks like nobody is interested in helping Kevin Lowe succeed, outside of Edmonton.

If I say your backend is bad, and has been for a few years. Last year bordered AHL.

I'm dumbfounded that no significant changes have been made.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but Whitney and Barker were dumped out of Anaheim.

Dumped onto Edmonton, payback's a banana.

Will you just say "your a jellous Flames fan?".

And while everyone's thinking I'm a little over the top about it, where have the Oilers finished since?

Coincidence, or maybe not?

If Lowe were canned when Tambellini was hired, that would have helped.

So your "conversation goes as smart as"? Wow, I'll bet that you make your English teacher cry when they are reading your work... :lol:

As far as an intellectual argument goes, you have already shown by many examples that you are less than capable... Not that I am interested in arguing with the local Oilers troll anyways...

You also seem to have a reading comprehension problem... Judging by your massacre of the English language, that is not surprising... Just let us know if you are having difficulties... Perhaps we can all just type slower for you... ;)

See, this is what you do. You fail to come up with anything remotely logical but you attack the person presenting the idea, not the idea itself. Debating with you is like debating with a 5 year old.

Better at what? Better at tanking unintentionally for the highest draft picks? :lol:

The Oils current goaltending is sketchy at best, and the 2 best defensemen the team has had in years both demanded trades...

This is your first failed attempt at making an intelligent statement. I said the Oilers are going to be better than the Flames next year and this was your response, or lack thereof.

I then comment that the Oilers can afford to be at the bottom of the league. I also bring up a useless statement like you saying the Flames can't sign their own draft picks. You retort with another pearl of wisdom.

What do Erixon's stats in the NHL have to do with anything? See, most people that actually know anything about hockey know that 99% of defencemen take a longer time to develop. Erixon not lighting up the league in his first taste makes him far from a bust, maybe to you but you do not strike me as someone patient, intelligent or sane.

You continue to make a complete @$$ of yourself by then making completely wrong statements. Pronger left because his wife ordered him to because he had an affair. Souray left because management didn't want him around the team. Souray even said he'd prefer to come back and play with the likes of Hall and Eberle but that was a non-starter.

The last few lines I didn't have a problem with. I'll tell you this much, Edmonton is a much more attractive spot than Calgary is right now for UFAs.

My original response to you was a chart showing you how the Oilers can afford to keep all their young players. Here comes another useless piece by Carty.

Again, you fail to say why the plan doesn't work. You just comment about your feelings on it rather than using any of those dozens of brain cells you must have.

I started getting frustrated here. This is when I knew you were posting there logic less, emotional statements. I admit what I said here was also more emotional than logical. I said the Oilers were going up and the Flames were going down do deal with it. Here's your response.

You contradict yourself there saying the Oilers have nowhere to go but up but how long will they stay at the bottom.

You accuse me of taking out my frustration? I am not at all adversarial unless I am provoked by someone. I go on the Flames board to get a different perspective. I'm curious to see what Flames' fans think of their team amongst others. I go on all the boards of the Canadian teams. You accuse me at the end of being the one with lack of intellegence in the conversation but this past history shows otherwise.

You have shown you have nothing to say that at all contributes to an intelligent conversation.

Okay, let's say your right.

Now let's use the 2 current team examples you've provided.

Let's project your top forward talent is better than the Sedin's and Kesler.

So your ahead.

Lucky for the 'nucks, they have Bieksa, Hamhuis, Edler et. al. and Luongo/Schneider.

Their top guys have an easier time with your backend, and their backend beats on your top guys.

So, how about the Pens.

Crosby, Malkin, Staal down the middle alone.

You won't win that "control the play competition", few can.

But let's say you guys can.

Letang, Orpik, Martin, Niskanen...your D can't even match that.

Dubnyk/Khabi vs Fleury/Vokoun? Wow, do I even have to vote?

Grow up Connor, how well have the Oil done since the Vanek/Penner RFA offers?

Put the screws to Darcy Regier and Brian Burke.

Good call, those guys are flash in the pan that don't have any ties in the hockey world.

You know what it looks like to me?

It looks like nobody is interested in helping Kevin Lowe succeed, outside of Edmonton.

If I say your backend is bad, and has been for a few years. Last year bordered AHL.

I'm dumbfounded that no significant changes have been made.

Maybe it's just a coincidence, but Whitney and Barker were dumped out of Anaheim.

Dumped onto Edmonton, payback's a banana.

Will you just say "your a jellous Flames fan?".

And while everyone's thinking I'm a little over the top about it, where have the Oilers finished since?

Coincidence, or maybe not?

If Lowe were canned when Tambellini was hired, that would have helped.

- I'm not caomparing the current Oilers to the current Pens or Canucks. I'm using them as examples of how teams with superstarts use cheaper players to compliment their superstars.

- NHL GMs are in the business of making their teams' better. They should be open to making trades with anyone if it helps their team. GMs don't go out of their way to help other GMs succeed. Look at Burke. Burke and Gillis have a far greater heated rivalry than Lowe and Burke and Burke is still open on trading Luongo which would theoretically help the Canucks a lot. Burke is open to making that trade because it helps his team in the now.

- The Oilers defence has been slowly improving. It got upgraded from 2010-11 to 2011-12 from AHL calibur to bottom rung NHL calibur. Everyone knows the Oilers need to improve their defence to succeed. Tambellini days are now numbered so he knows the Oilers have to be better to keep his job.

- Whitney I would argue is better than Visnovsky when both are 100%. Whitney's injuries have been an issue. Barker was never on Anaheim. He was drafted by Chicago and traded to Minnesota. He was signed as a UFA by Edmonton.

- You present an arguement so I can discuss it. Some other people just get emotional when talking about the Oilers.

So Burke was irate to the media. I'm sure he relaxed his tone to agents and mgrs and Bettman himself...

Play the opposite personality, and it gives you Regier. I'm sure he said nice things...

How the watermelon do you blame Tambellini? His only fault was getting wrangled up with Lowe.

You contradict yourself there saying the Oilers have nowhere to go but up but how long will they stay at the bottom.

The Oilers are improving. 29 is better then 30th.

Tambellini days are now numbered so he knows the Oilers have to be better to keep his job.

Which is the reason the Oilers gave him a new contract.

- NHL GMs are in the business of making their teams' better. They should be open to making trades with anyone if it helps their team. GMs don't go out of their way to help other GMs succeed. Look at Burke. Burke and Gillis have a far greater heated rivalry than Lowe and Burke and Burke is still open on trading Luongo which would theoretically help the Canucks a lot. Burke is open to making that trade because it helps his team in the now.

The moment of truth is that player agents span teams and the league in general.

Just like the rest of us in our jobs, it's a small world.

How people in Edmonton aren't demanding Lowe out is outside of things I comprehend.

You put the screws to Regier, forced his hand so he matched.

So you forced Burke's hand.

He wouldn't have been so angry had you not watermeloned Regier over 1st.

Swarthy arrogance has no place in anyone's workplace.

Lowe is absolutely in roid rage doing that.

Burke was just being honest, "there is a code of conduct here".

I'm not a Burke fan, ftr.

At the time, the "analysts" focused in that, "hey, this is the way in the future".

No, it was just Kevin Lowe being such an upstanding guy.

A smart GM from any team tries to avoid any Lowe attention, methinks.

Give him a taste of success and all RFA's are on the table.

So #1 picks it is.

The moment of truth is that player agents span teams and the league in general.

Just like the rest of us in our jobs, it's a small world.

How people in Edmonton aren't demanding Lowe out is outside of things I comprehend.

You put the screws to Regier, forced his hand so he matched.

So you forced Burke's hand.

He wouldn't have been so angry had you not watermeloned Regier over 1st.

Swarthy arrogance has no place in anyone's workplace.

Lowe is absolutely in roid rage doing that.

Burke was just being honest, "there is a code of conduct here".

I'm not a Burke fan, ftr.

At the time, the "analysts" focused in that, "hey, this is the way in the future".

No, it was just Kevin Lowe being such an upstanding guy.

A smart GM from any team tries to avoid any Lowe attention, methinks.

Give him a taste of success and all RFA's are on the table.

So #1 picks it is.

You're drawing your own conclussions. Doug Wilson offer sheeted Hjalmarsson so Chicago had to match. GMs are still dealing with Wilson and Lowe so your opinion is based on pure speculation.

You're drawing your own conclussions. Doug Wilson offer sheeted Hjalmarsson so Chicago had to match. GMs are still dealing with Wilson and Lowe so your opinion is based on pure speculation.

I thought you believed Tambellini was making the trades.

I thought you believed Tambellini was making the trades.

Heeheehee.

Sorry my circles are so wide sometimes!!

I should ADD more

You see Oilers in NHL talk, whaddyagunnadoo...

Never got you to admit your goaltending is terrible Connor, good job!

But Lowe is your GM. You fired your GM by not firing your GM, how does that fail to anger you?

It's called being duped, I'm just here to prove that you seem to enjoy it.

But on a serious note, should Smythe be retained to retire and join the team in a personnel-related (HR) capacity?

Like Conroy for us? You open that guys chest and you'll find a flaming C.

That's Smythe with the Oil, do you not want that guy retiring to your front end?

Archived