Brent Sutter To Oils?

Louis23

I think in this case you probably are. Most comments from people like this are a result of someone asking them a question and sticking a mic in their face.

Yeah, you're probably right... but reading that sequence of articles definitely gave the impression both sides are waiting for the other to make their move.

Could of as easily not given an interview... gives a further impression of posturing. i.e. the quote from the second interview seems pretty transparent...

And odd how there is no address of his personal interest, if any, in the Oilers job in the 3rd article.... either a shoddy reporting job, or a planted article to send a message.

(based on how the media is used and agenda driven... i'm still leaning its the latter)

ah well.. funny anyways.

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Neither side has talked to the other about the possibility of Sutter coaching there next year. Seems pretty black and white.

That's quite brilliant insight into the obvious there.

I was kinda looking a little beyond that... i.e. appears to be a little ego at play as to being the reason they haven't talked yet.

Lowe: he hasn't applied, don't know why he wouldn't

Sutter: I'm not the kind of guy that applies

Lowe: ....

I was kinda looking a little beyond that... i.e. appears to be a little ego at play as to being the reason they haven't talked yet.

I think the Oilers are still waiting for the dust to settle of the season and are seeing if any coaches shake lose. If the Oil start the interview process now then it would give a timetable to decide on who to hire. It would not be professional to interview a nuch of candidates and say "Hold on, we still need to see if anyone else becomes available before we make a decision."

I think it's just that people keep asking them both about it, I don't think either wants to insult the other, but neither side is truly interested in making it happen right now.

It's been reported that Brent Sutter is a frontrunner for the seat.

I highly doubt either Lowe or Sutter are being upfront, and they can't be. You can't air your contract negotiation status to the media.

You will likely be liable if you do.

If you don't reach agreement, you can sing all you want.

No one is singing, that tells me they are in negotiations.

With Brent Sutter as coach, I hope they trade their #1 pick.

Yakupov is an absolutely explosive offensive player.

I've watched him live on and off a lot for 2 years.

His speed is explosive, his hands and vision incredible.

His shot accurate.

His puck distribution is disturbing, bordering sublime at times.

The best part is, he doesn't rest on his laurels.

When you need a hit, he's doing that. When you need a goal, you're on the edge every time he's on the ice, he's so aggressive.

There isn't a RW in the league that I can compare him to, he's his own player.

I can't wait for Nail's NHL start, because I think everyone is going to see what I do.

Top 6 RW off the hop, and it'll be interesting to see how teams try to mitigate him.

He is the clear #1. By clear, I mean on a whole other level.

This is a different player, and hopefully he'll achieve franchise player.

Even his maturity level is much higher than 18.

No Sutter's to feel the need to "knock him down to build him up", please.

It's been reported that Brent Sutter is a frontrunner for the seat.

I highly doubt either Lowe or Sutter are being upfront, and they can't be. You can't air your contract negotiation status to the media.

You will likely be liable if you do.

If you don't reach agreement, you can sing all you want.

No one is singing, that tells me they are in negotiations.

With Brent Sutter as coach, I hope they trade their #1 pick.

Yakupov is an absolutely explosive offensive player.

I've watched him live on and off a lot for 2 years.

His speed is explosive, his hands and vision incredible.

His shot accurate.

His puck distribution is disturbing, bordering sublime at times.

The best part is, he doesn't rest on his laurels.

When you need a hit, he's doing that. When you need a goal, you're on the edge every time he's on the ice, he's so aggressive.

There isn't a RW in the league that I can compare him to, he's his own player.

I can't wait for Nail's NHL start, because I think everyone is going to see what I do.

Top 6 RW off the hop, and it'll be interesting to see how teams try to mitigate him.

He is the clear #1. By clear, I mean on a whole other level.

This is a different player, and hopefully he'll achieve franchise player.

Even his maturity level is much higher than 18.

No Sutter's to feel the need to "knock him down to build him up", please.

There are 4 coaching candidates: Sutter, Krueger, Stevens and Cooper. The order I want from most to least is:

1. Krueger

2. Cooper

3. Stevens

9. Sutter

There are 4 coaching candidates: Sutter, Krueger, Stevens and Cooper. The order I want from most to least is:

1. Krueger

2. Cooper

3. Stevens

9. Sutter

So what you're saying is it'll be Sutter.

Or MacTavish.

You've gotta love Lowe's significant old-skool hockey ego.

You guys are a joke, and he has a job.

Care to explain that one?

What GM watermelons up this bad and keeps his job?

Kevin Lowe in Edmonton, no one else even close.

So what you're saying is it'll be Sutter.

Or MacTavish.

You've gotta love Lowe's significant old-skool hockey ego.

You guys are a joke, and he has a job.

Care to explain that one?

What GM watermelons up this bad and keeps his job?

Kevin Lowe in Edmonton, no one else even close.

What the heck are you talking about?

Every day that goes by it sounds less and less like it will be Sutter. Lowe isn't the GM.

You know the Flames just had Sutter for 3 years after having Playfair, Keenan and another Sutter. Now they hire Hartley. All of these coaches are exactly the same.

Keenan, Hartley have rings.

The "another" Sutter is about to have his, in stylin' fashion.

What's your point?

No coach is exactly the same.

A big part is motivating and earning the respect of a room full of grown men.

You don't do that by being, "the same".

Both conference winners this year won by fast transitions and aggressive puck pursuit.

That takes talent, and we've been lean on that.

You've gotta coach what you've got, right?

Why have the Oilers done bare minimum to address G & D?

It makes no sense, for the last, I don't know, 4 years?

That's gotta annoy you Connor, if Dubnyk isn't your #1 guy, you're toast, again.

I feel for Ryan Whitney, what misfortune with injuries.

I'd like to see him succeed, even if it's the Oilers, compassion comes first.

Your best dman, by a lot.

Keenan, Hartley have rings.

The "another" Sutter is about to have his, in stylin' fashion.

What's your point?

No coach is exactly the same.

A big part is motivating and earning the respect of a room full of grown men.

You don't do that by being, "the same".

Both conference winners this year won by fast transitions and aggressive puck pursuit.

That takes talent, and we've been lean on that.

You've gotta coach what you've got, right?

Why have the Oilers done bare minimum to address G & D?

It makes no sense, for the last, I don't know, 4 years?

That's gotta annoy you Connor, if Dubnyk isn't your #1 guy, you're toast, again.

I feel for Ryan Whitney, what misfortune with injuries.

I'd like to see him succeed, even if it's the Oilers, compassion comes first.

Your best dman, by a lot.

Whitney at 100% is the Oilers best defenceman. He must have been playing at 50% last season. We'll see if he can come close to the player he was. I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

You know the Flames just had Sutter for 3 years after having Playfair, Keenan and another Sutter. Now they hire Hartley. All of these coaches are exactly the same.

Hartley coached the Colorado Avalanche and the (former) Atlanta Thrashers. Not exactly the two biggest names that come to mind when it comes to defensive, Sutter type hockey. Are you sure you know who Bob Hartley is?

Keenan barks like a Sutter, but he doesn't do systems. Butter also barks like a Sutter but he's system-driven. Playfair was a fair coach who implemented an offensive game (and he apparently has a bit of a temper too if his stint in Abbotsford didn't ssay anything).

Coaches use similar techniques to achieve results. But to say all of these coaches are the same is really shallow as far as in-depth knowledge of them goes.

The fact that the Oilers even ALLOW MacTavish to be in the conversation mix as a potential coach is laughable. He already got a good long crack at it without tangible results and they let him get another crack? Connections sure run deep.

All of the Flames last four coaches are considered hard on the players. 3 out the last 4 are hard on the players and easy on the vets.

MacTavish is a good coach. He is neither a hard nor players coach but a strategist that does what he can to get the most out of his players. A bunch of players all had their best season under MacTavish. He also almost made the playoffs with a far worse Oilers team several times before he was let go.

Wasn't MacTavish under consideration in Calgary too?

If the Oilers hire one of Krueger, Cooper or Stevens, I'll think they hired a better coach than Hartley.

Right. STambellini in title. Sure.

The Oilers re-signed Tambelli. That means they intend to fail for another season & want the fall guy around.

Once they figure they've drafted enough talent Lowe will assume the GM title again.

Whitney at 100% is the Oilers best defenceman. He must have been playing at 50% last season. We'll see if he can come close to the player he was. I hope so but I'm not holding my breath.

He's UFA after this season. If he plays well it could be his ticket to a contract with a contender. Expect a good year from him.

The Oilers re-signed Tambelli. That means they intend to fail for another season & want the fall guy around.

Once they figure they've drafted enough talent Lowe will assume the GM title again.

He's UFA after this season. If he plays well it could be his ticket to a contract with a contender. Expect a good year from him.

- Oilers are going to be better than the Flames next season and probably Winnipeg too.

- The Oilers will likely re-sign only one of Smid or Whitney. Whitney if he has his choice would want to stay.

- Oilers are going to be better than the Flames next season and probably Winnipeg too.

You keep believing that. :lol:

NHL site has an article on Daryl that mentions him talking to his brothers before accepting the LA job. The advice was that if he decided to coach again to make sure it was a contender rather then a rebuilding team. They'll likely tell Brent the same so I don't expect to see him coaching the Oilers.

You keep believing that. :lol:

NHL site has an article on Daryl that mentions him talking to his brothers before accepting the LA job. The advice was that if he decided to coach again to make sure it was a contender rather then a rebuilding team. They'll likely tell Brent the same so I don't expect to see him coaching the Oilers.

This draft is the last stage of the rebuild. The Oilers will now start competeing for the playoffs. It would still be better for Sutter to go to a rebuilding team than stay with a team that's imploding.

This draft is the last stage of the rebuild. The Oilers will now start competeing for the playoffs. It would still be better for Sutter to go to a rebuilding team than stay with a team that's imploding.

Last stage of what rebuild?

That's the point, scooter.

Remove your 1st round picks, what exactly did you rebuild?

I'm not being mean, I'm being honest. What D has been built? You brought in Barker and Sutton last year. Yet Whitney's health was extremely suspect.

Even now, still, the Oilers are making NO suggestion that they are in the goalie market.

It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Even showing Vokoun interest would have been at least a sign of at least thinking about your goaltending.

Nothing, nada, nyet.

It makes NO sense to me. Being stern that Dubnyk and Khabibulin are the answer shocks me.

It's like they just don't put any logic into the backend, like it's perfectly fine.

Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing? Because it's gotta be something huge.

Last stage of what rebuild?

That's the point, scooter.

Remove your 1st round picks, what exactly did you rebuild?

I'm not being mean, I'm being honest. What D has been built? You brought in Barker and Sutton last year. Yet Whitney's health was extremely suspect.

Even now, still, the Oilers are making NO suggestion that they are in the goalie market.

It makes no sense to me whatsoever.

Even showing Vokoun interest would have been at least a sign of at least thinking about your goaltending.

Nothing, nada, nyet.

It makes NO sense to me. Being stern that Dubnyk and Khabibulin are the answer shocks me.

It's like they just don't put any logic into the backend, like it's perfectly fine.

Can someone please explain to me what I'm missing? Because it's gotta be something huge.

The Oilers have a solid base of prospects to build upon. They are ranked as having the 4th best depth in the league by hockeysfutre and that only is including the Nuge. Hall, Eberle, Paajarvi aren't considered prospects by their standards.

You can also see that winning is starting within the organization. The Barons were in the conference final and the Oil Kings won the WHL championship.

Vokoun isn't any better than Khabibulin. He is now a backup goaltender.

The Oilers will make moves to address their defence this off season and it won't be of the Barker variety.

Better at what? Better at tanking unintentionally for the highest draft picks? :lol:

The Oils current goaltending is sketchy at best, and the 2 best defensemen the team has had in years both demanded trades...

Better at what? Better at tanking unintentionally for the highest draft picks? :lol:

The Oils current goaltending is sketchy at best, and the 2 best defensemen the team has had in years both demanded trades...

The Oilers have a stronger fan base than the Flames. They can afford to go through a rebuild and not lose much fan support.

What dies that defenceman comment have to do with anything? The Flames can't even sign their draft picks.

Archived