Nemisz

I just wanted to start a topic about Nemisz and his progress I know everyone's looking forward to Bärtchi but Nemisz is another one of our first rounders so where do you think he fits into the Flames future he is our 25th overall pick in '08 shouldn't he be ready to come in soon

he might be ready next year but injuries have set him back a little, he is a power forward so traditionally they develop a little slower because they need to grow into their frames. he also have never been a great skater so he is continuing to work on that. he is still an excellent defensive player with the potential to be an elite penalty killer in the NHL. He looks right now like he could develop into a Mike Knuble type player.

I am a bit concerned over where Nemisz is in his development. More so because he has looked completely out of place in the brief call-ups he has had. His production at the AHL level isn't bad. But it doesn't point to him being an offensive threat in the NHL. He is behind the curve compared to other players in his draft class, though as Ring said his style of play and injuries of held his development back some.

His foot speed has also been a chronic problem, though he improved it a bunch during the off season and apparently taken it up another level following his last injury (upper body). I have also heard reports from people that watch the Heat regularly that he is starting to play with a real mean streak. Which is great. People also comment routinely about how good his hands are.

I think Knuble is a high watermark but might be a bit optimistic. I think he is closer to a David Moss type player with better hands.

I think he has a couple of years before we have to worry about him being a bust. Though I will be watching him close next camp to see if he is able to compete at a semi-NHL level.

I am a bit concerned over where Nemisz is in his development. More so because he has looked completely out of place in the brief call-ups he has had. His production at the AHL level isn't bad. But it doesn't point to him being an offensive threat in the NHL. He is behind the curve compared to other players in his draft class,

That's not too fair IMO. The only players drafted behind him that are playing in the NHL full time are really Ennis and Carlson, and the player drafted right ahead of him (Tedenby) is really struggling at the NHL level and probably should be in the A.

His foot speed has also been a chronic problem, though he improved it a bunch during the off season and apparently taken it up another level following his last injury (upper body). I have also heard reports from people that watch the Heat regularly that he is starting to play with a real mean streak. Which is great. People also comment routinely about how good his hands are.

I think Knuble is a high watermark but might be a bit optimistic. I think he is closer to a David Moss type player with better hands.

I think he has a couple of years before we have to worry about him being a bust. Though I will be watching him close next camp to see if he is able to compete at a semi-NHL level.

I was a little dissapointed in his call ups as I saw so much imprvoement in a non game situation at the summer prospect came that I thoguth he was right there and ready to play. I dont' think he was awful in his call ups but he sure didn't seem ready either. I defiently believed he really improved his speed and in a non game situation he showed that he has the speed to be an NHL regular but that has to transfer to a game situation. All in all, I agree IMO you can't be considered a bust until 5 years have gone by since you've been drafted.

Overal I agree on Knuble that's who he reminded me during and after the draft process. I think David Moss and Knuble are pretty similar as it is so I think we're splitting hairs at that point. I think he should be a guy that shoudl be able to play on the 2nd line and get 20-25 goals and 45 ish points a season. I'm not really concerened with his development as I believe he is on track based on what I saw in junior and his body type. I think he developed so quickly physiologically in junior tht he needed to catch up.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Nemo has been playing great lately guys, I am not sure how many people have watched the playoffs for the heat this season but he is seriously outstanding in both ends. In the first round he was by far the best two way player for both teams. I understand he isn't producing offensively well actually only a point behind a ppg rate but his defence is killer. If we could get a young 2-way left winger next year a line of said player, Backlund and Nemo could be very solid. Seems also like his foot speed is starting to really improve. Seriously someone to watch. Huge improvements have been taken this season.

Nemo seemed to lack confidence when he played on the Flames; whether he was trying not to make mistakes, or was suffering under the Sutter style. IF he was to use his size to drive the play, he could be usefull. Didn't he play C at one point, maybe in Junior? He might have success there.

From what I have seen and heard Ward has done a great job at getting Nemo's mind in the right state. They have worked really hard at showing him what it takes to be a pro hockey player and I except him to be on the same curve as Glenncross (with out the footspeed) it may take a few seasons to get him up and playing in the biggs but once he has a chance to adjust I think he will be a solid player.

And yes he did play C in jr on a very good spittfire team!

Nemo seemed to lack confidence when he played on the Flames; whether he was trying not to make mistakes, or was suffering under the Sutter style. IF he was to use his size to drive the play, he could be usefull. Didn't he play C at one point, maybe in Junior? He might have success there.

Nemisz bounced between RW and Center in Jr. He did spend more time on RW though, but Ward is working on converting him to a full time centerman

Why? Calgary is weaker at RW than they are down the middle. Why not just let him play his natural position?

He has played both so I am not that it's accurate to call RW his 'natural' position.

Also, C is a more important position and with his size, if he were able to become a solid NHL C, that is more valuable than him at RW (which is easier replaced with a UFA).

Why? Calgary is weaker at RW than they are down the middle. Why not just let him play his natural position?

centermen are moved to the wing and one wing to another with regular frequency these days. so it really doesn't matter if we are weak on the right side. Especially when you have Horak and Byron who are centermen that are likely to be moved to the wing (potentially both to the right side).

Size down the middle is something the Flames have lacked for a very long time. Having a big center than can play with a bit of a mean streak and has good hands is almost ideal.

Keep in mind we traded away Alex Tanguay and a 5th to acquire the pick that we drafted Nemisz with. Those are some big shoes to fill considering had we have kept Tanguay, we could have kept our 17th overall pick and possibly drafted Jordan Eberle, Jake Gardiner, or even Del Zotto whom are all full time in the NHL now.

Sure we also got a late 2nd rounder in that deal but as Dutter did best, traded it away at the deadline for a rental.

Cammi was great and all for the 2008-09 season, but we knew he had attitude in LA coming in and once again did in Calgary, and we let him walk for NOTHING. Not even a pick. That is CLASSIC Dutter GM at his finest.

Ironically, as it unfolds now, we have the likes of Tangs, Cammi, and JayBo all together now, which wasn't feasible in 2008-09.

As far as Nemisz goes, I'd say another Moss type player is the last thing this team needs.

TRADE HIM!

As far as Nemisz goes, I'd say another Moss type player is the last thing this team needs.

TRADE HIM!

For....Sidney Crosby? Sure, I'm down with that.

I don't personally foresee a sudden surge in market value for Nemisz, it seems best to develop him in the current system unless a trade opportunity presents itself.

He'd make a great 3rd/4rth line centre that could be incredibly value to the team.

I'd like to seem him excel at that role.

Keep in mind we traded away Alex Tanguay and a 5th to acquire the pick that we drafted Nemisz with. Those are some big shoes to fill considering had we have kept Tanguay, we could have kept our 17th overall pick and possibly drafted Jordan Eberle, Jake Gardiner, or even Del Zotto whom are all full time in the NHL now.

Sure we also got a late 2nd rounder in that deal but as Dutter did best, traded it away at the deadline for a rental.

Cammi was great and all for the 2008-09 season, but we knew he had attitude in LA coming in and once again did in Calgary, and we let him walk for NOTHING. Not even a pick. That is CLASSIC Dutter GM at his finest.

Ironically, as it unfolds now, we have the likes of Tangs, Cammi, and JayBo all together now, which wasn't feasible in 2008-09.

TRADE HIM!

|You seem to be missing Nemo's big connection to this team and why the flames drafted him in the first place.

http://youtu.be/96NSEqrk0fE

He will be given every opportunity to succeed in this organization, bottom line Greg aint going nowhere!

Tanguay asked for a trade so keeping him was not an option unless Keenan went. The 17th pick was about acquiring Cammy so to me Nemisz and Tanguay are linked by coincidence more than anything. Having moss type players and wingers who can score 20 plus or a good center is always a need and certainly a need for the Flames.

I have no problem with converting nemisz to a c, but if we do we need to turn atleast one of our c's to a rw. Its nice to have guys that can bounce around but i find they play better if they are used to playing that position every night.

RW is no doubt the weakest position in this franchise. We are so stocked with center prospects and 2,3,4 line centers. we are missing one center and i cant understand what everyone push for us aquiring more centers. we have no true 2nd line RW and no one even close to a 1st line rw replacement other then a LW.

I have no problem with converting nemisz to a c, but if we do we need to turn atleast one of our c's to a rw. Its nice to have guys that can bounce around but i find they play better if they are used to playing that position every night.

RW is no doubt the weakest position in this franchise. We are so stocked with center prospects and 2,3,4 line centers. we are missing one center and i cant understand what everyone push for us aquiring more centers. we have no true 2nd line RW and no one even close to a 1st line rw replacement other then a LW.

I think Howse has been playing some RW since going pro. They also moved Ben Walter to RW (not that he will play for Calgary). I believe Byron also saw time on RW this year in Abby. Personally I would like Horak and Byron on RW since they won't ever be good NHL centers.

For....Sidney Crosby? Sure, I'm down with that.

I don't personally foresee a sudden surge in market value for Nemisz, it seems best to develop him in the current system unless a trade opportunity presents itself.

He'd make a great 3rd/4rth line centre that could be incredibly value to the team.

I'd like to seem him excel at that role.

Trade Nemisz and Flames 1st overall pick (14th)

to Buffalo

for Kevin Sundher and Buffalo's 1st overall pick (10th)

Buffalo needs a 4th line C. Nemisz has one season of pro already and has a good chance of making the roster in Buffalo next season but is doubtful in Calgary.

Calgary moves up four spots in the draft and acquires the C that set up most of Howse's goals in Chiliwack. Better skater with better vision. Should be a soild 2nd/3rd liner in a year. Put up 75 points in 58 games last year in the WHL including being traded and adjusting to a new team. He was on pace for 93 points in 58 games before the trade....

I think Howse has been playing some RW since going pro. They also moved Ben Walter to RW (not that he will play for Calgary). I believe Byron also saw time on RW this year in Abby. Personally I would like Horak and Byron on RW since they won't ever be good NHL centers.

????

Byron and Horak NEVER played the RW. They play LW or C.

Howse was never a center, so that takes away the relevance of switching a center to RW. He has, however, been playing RW in Abby, but he is a natural left winger, although wingers can generally play both.

• 5 months later...

Archived