Bill Arnold And John Gaudreau Named To U.s. Wjc Preliminary Roster

Sucks that Ramage is an overager now. Would have been nice to see him at this tournament again.

He played very well last year so I think the US would agree with you.

Great to see this, and I agree Jtech I hope this can help silence this "Flames cant' draft" argument. If the Flames send even 4 players to the tournmanet you have to believe that's going to be better than alot of other team's in the NHL.

I actually think Gaurdreau has a better chance than Arnold. I still find that Arnold's foot speed and mobility are in question and given that I think Canada is going to have an up tempo team Americans will be wary of that. Plus, he'll have to defend with some pretty good two way centers in Bjugstad and Croyle. Maybe as a 4th line guy Arnold could squeek in there. I like Gaudreau simply because the States always seem to like that pure offensive guy to give them some scoring on all 4 lines.

If Bill Arnold, John Gaudreau, Max Reinhart, Michael Ferland, Sven Baertschi and Markus Granlund all make their teams Calgary could have 6 players at the WJC. Who says Calgary has no prospects.

And 4 prospects would still be eligible next year:

Granlund, Gaudreau, Wotherspoon, and Brossoit

By the way, Brossoit is 3rd in wins, 3rd in GAA, and 4th in SAV% in the dub (the best numbers among the 1993ers)

• 3 months later...

Had a chance to see the games from the regional qualifying this weekend - BC won both their games with a pair of shut-outs, 2-0 over Air Force and 4-0 over last year's national champs, Minnesota-Duluth. So they are off to the frozen four.

John Gaudreau

In the first game, I thought Gaudreau was impressive and he showed good speed. He handles the puck with confidence and has great vision, always finding the open man with tape to tape passes. In a game where not a lot happened for either team, I thought he was one of the best forwards in the game.

In the second game, he was outstanding, with a goal and an assist. He also turned a defenseman inside out on a one-on-one that would have given him a breakaway, but just as that happened, BC was called for too many men.

First of all, he has tremendous speed. Second, he has poise with the puck and is a great passer and playmaker. He also stole several pucks away with his backside pressure - in the two games, I think he stole the puck, ala Datsyuk, 4 times.

What I really found surprizing was his ability to win battles on the boards - due to his size, and playing against older, stronger guys, you would think he would be dominated along the boards. However, he routinely won puck battles. In this way, he reminded me of Gretzky as a teenager. In fact he also reminded me of Gretzky with his first two strides - from a standstill, he could win the puck along the boards, then break away from defenders with a couple quick strides and leave them behind. Great initial quickness. (please don't mis-interpret - I am not comparing him to Gretzky, just saying he reminded me of a young Gretzky in those two ways).

All in all, however, he reminded me more of Martin St Louis, always stealing the puck, always in the right place for the puck to find him, and then when he gets the puck, he almost always makes something exciting happen. Quick, smart, surprizingly feisty and unafraid, and most of all, prepetually dangerous.

I cannot wait to see how he develops next year - the announcers were all abuzz about him as well.

Bill Arnold

First, I have to start by saying that I was not very impressed with Arnold in the WJ tournament - I thought he looked slow and lacked creativity.

In the Air Force game, I thought he looked pretty good - better than at the WJC. He showed good speed and played a very smart, 2-way centerman's game. Again, not a lot happened in this game, but he played solid.

In the game against MD, he was really impressive. He actually showed tremendous speed, was dominant in the neutral zone in a defensive role, was a primary PKer, took the important faceoffs in their own zone, and was their forward when they had to kill a 5-on-3. He completely shut down the dangerous first line of MD, used his speed to blow up the middle for a breakaway (great save by the goalie on a good deek to the back-hand), and scored a nice goal by reading the play well and moving in to the slot for a one-timer after playing third man high.

I made the commemt while watching the game that I thought he was the best player on the ice for either team and then the commentator made the exact same same remark - he was dominant, both offensively and defensively. And I don't know what happened to him at the WJC, but he showed great speed today. He is big, plays physical, plays smart, is defensively responsible and has some hands.

Watching the game today, I kept thinking that he definitely has the potential to become a solid 3rd line C in the NHL, maybe even 2nd. He looked really good. I couldn't decide who he reminded me of though - Jason Arnott maybe?

Frankly, I was more impressed with both of them than I was with Kreider. Kreider has speed and size and seems taylor-made to be a solid NHLer. But both Arnold and Gaudreau were better and contributed more to the win over Minn-Duluth.

All in all, it was a real treat to see these games as I have only seen Arnold at the WJC and have never seen Gaudreau before. Don't know if I'll still be in the states for the frozen four but if I am, I will report on the games.

Gaudreau is small and young, so it is still a longshot. But he has the potential to be really, really good! :D

Had a chance to see the games from the regional qualifying this weekend - BC won both their games with a pair of shut-outs, 2-0 over Air Force and 4-0 over last year's national champs, Minnesota-Duluth. So they are off to the frozen four.

John Gaudreau

In the first game, I thought Gaudreau was impressive and he showed good speed. He handles the puck with confidence and has great vision, always finding the open man with tape to tape passes. In a game where not a lot happened for either team, I thought he was one of the best forwards in the game.

In the second game, he was outstanding, with a goal and an assist. He also turned a defenseman inside out on a one-on-one that would have given him a breakaway, but just as that happened, BC was called for too many men.

First of all, he has tremendous speed. Second, he has poise with the puck and is a great passer and playmaker. He also stole several pucks away with his backside pressure - in the two games, I think he stole the puck, ala Datsyuk, 4 times.

What I really found surprizing was his ability to win battles on the boards - due to his size, and playing against older, stronger guys, you would think he would be dominated along the boards. However, he routinely won puck battles. In this way, he reminded me of Gretzky as a teenager. In fact he also reminded me of Gretzky with his first two strides - from a standstill, he could win the puck along the boards, then break away from defenders with a couple quick strides and leave them behind. Great initial quickness. (please don't mis-interpret - I am not comparing him to Gretzky, just saying he reminded me of a young Gretzky in those two ways).

All in all, however, he reminded me more of Martin St Louis, always stealing the puck, always in the right place for the puck to find him, and then when he gets the puck, he almost always makes something exciting happen. Quick, smart, surprizingly feisty and unafraid, and most of all, prepetually dangerous.

I cannot wait to see how he develops next year - the announcers were all abuzz about him as well.

Bill Arnold

First, I have to start by saying that I was not very impressed with Arnold in the WJ tournament - I thought he looked slow and lacked creativity.

In the Air Force game, I thought he looked pretty good - better than at the WJC. He showed good speed and played a very smart, 2-way centerman's game. Again, not a lot happened in this game, but he played solid.

In the game against MD, he was really impressive. He actually showed tremendous speed, was dominant in the neutral zone in a defensive role, was a primary PKer, took the important faceoffs in their own zone, and was their forward when they had to kill a 5-on-3. He completely shut down the dangerous first line of MD, used his speed to blow up the middle for a breakaway (great save by the goalie on a good deek to the back-hand), and scored a nice goal by reading the play well and moving in to the slot for a one-timer after playing third man high.

I made the commemt while watching the game that I thought he was the best player on the ice for either team and then the commentator made the exact same same remark - he was dominant, both offensively and defensively. And I don't know what happened to him at the WJC, but he showed great speed today. He is big, plays physical, plays smart, is defensively responsible and has some hands.

Watching the game today, I kept thinking that he definitely has the potential to become a solid 3rd line C in the NHL, maybe even 2nd. He looked really good. I couldn't decide who he reminded me of though - Jason Arnott maybe?

Frankly, I was more impressed with both of them than I was with Kreider. Kreider has speed and size and seems taylor-made to be a solid NHLer. But both Arnold and Gaudreau were better and contributed more to the win over Minn-Duluth.

All in all, it was a real treat to see these games as I have only seen Arnold at the WJC and have never seen Gaudreau before. Don't know if I'll still be in the states for the frozen four but if I am, I will report on the games.

Gaudreau is small and young, so it is still a longshot. But he has the potential to be really, really good! :D

thanks for the recap, do you know if the frozen 4 will be televised in Canada?

thanks for the recap, do you know if the frozen 4 will be televised in Canada?

actually, after I wrote that, I realized that the frozen four probably will be on in Canada - I vaguely remember that it was last year.

However, I have no idea who might cover it

awesome recap C!

love hearing about the future of the club and the buzz about them. Hope to find the frozen 4 tourney on Shaw cable.. if anyone knows anything please post it up

Thu, Apr 5

4:30 p.m. Frozen Four Semifinal 1 Union (NY) vs. Ferris State (Tampa Bay, Fla.) ESPNU / ESPN3

8 p.m. Frozen Four Semifinal 2 Boston College vs. Minnesota (Tampa Bay, Fla.) ESPN2 / ESPN3

Sat, Apr 7

7 p.m. NCAA Men’s Ice Hockey Championship (Tampa Bay, Fla.) ESPN2 / ESPN3

Arnold's hockey future seems to continue to look brighter as time goes by...

Quote from: Flames Prospect Profile: Bill Arnold Link to article

19 year-old Flames Prospect Bill Arnold is making a big contribution to Boston College’s push to win the NCAA Hockey Championship.

Currently Boston College (BC) will compete against Minnesota in the Frozen Four round of the NCAA championships. BC is currently shutting out the competition with six goals for and no goals against. Arnold is a big part of this and was involved in an important second goal in their game against Minnesota-Duluth.

At six feet, 218-pounds this is another player that will be able to add a big body to the Flames. A tough player who is known for using his body to wear down the opponent, Arnold is definitely a great support player on any line.

With 20 points (10 goals and 10 assists) in 39 games Arnold is a player that consistently contributes to the team.

Though this season he wears the number 10 he often wears the number 24 to honor his hockey idol Terry O’Reilly whom Arnold has said he looks up to for his hard work and determined play.

Arnold was a gold medalist at the World Under-18 championship in Minsk, Belarus and won Most Outstanding Forward in the 2008 Under-17 U.S. Selects in which he scored seven points in only four games.

Currently Arnold has two more years of college eligibility and will likely lead BC to numerous championships with fellow Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau.

Arnold was drafted by the Flames in the fourth round (108rd overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Arnold's hockey future seems to continue to look brighter as time goes by...

Quote from: Flames Prospect Profile: Bill Arnold Link to article

19 year-old Flames Prospect Bill Arnold is making a big contribution to Boston College’s push to win the NCAA Hockey Championship.

Currently Boston College (BC) will compete against Minnesota in the Frozen Four round of the NCAA championships. BC is currently shutting out the competition with six goals for and no goals against. Arnold is a big part of this and was involved in an important second goal in their game against Minnesota-Duluth.

At six feet, 218-pounds this is another player that will be able to add a big body to the Flames. A tough player who is known for using his body to wear down the opponent, Arnold is definitely a great support player on any line.

With 20 points (10 goals and 10 assists) in 39 games Arnold is a player that consistently contributes to the team.

Though this season he wears the number 10 he often wears the number 24 to honor his hockey idol Terry O’Reilly whom Arnold has said he looks up to for his hard work and determined play.

Arnold was a gold medalist at the World Under-18 championship in Minsk, Belarus and won Most Outstanding Forward in the 2008 Under-17 U.S. Selects in which he scored seven points in only four games.

Currently Arnold has two more years of college eligibility and will likely lead BC to numerous championships with fellow Flames prospect Johnny Gaudreau.

Arnold was drafted by the Flames in the fourth round (108rd overall) of the 2010 NHL Entry Draft.

Aside from the fact that this article seems quite outdated (talks about the World Under-18s and under 17s, but no mention of this years world juniors, as well as last seasons stats) I'm really happy to hear about this. Seems like he could be a decent 3rd liner in a few years if his skating continues to improve. Does anyone happen to know how he is in the faceoff dot?

OMG!! Gaudreau is a (mini) beast!

BC just won the Frozen Four. It was a really hard fought, tight game with little room for either team.

With the score 2-1 for Boston College and about 3 minutes left, Gaudreau took the puck from his own blueline and with a guy hooking him, he deeked the snot out of the Ferris State defenseman and roofed a backhand for what can only be called an absolutely ridiculous goal. I mean it was off the charts! I am useless at getting a clip of it on here but I am sure someone will soon.

Final score was 4-1 after an empty netter. Arnold with one assist and a very strong game as their defensive centre. Either Gaudreau or Arnold was on the ice for every BC goal.

Good hockey game.

OMG!! Gaudreau is a (mini) beast!

BC just won the Frozen Four. It was a really hard fought, tight game with little room for either team.

With the score 2-1 for Boston College and about 3 minutes left, Gaudreau took the puck from his own blueline and with a guy hooking him, he deeked the snot out of the Ferris State defenseman and roofed a backhand for what can only be called an absolutely ridiculous goal. I mean it was off the charts! I am useless at getting a clip of it on here but I am sure someone will soon.

Final score was 4-1 after an empty netter. Arnold with one assist and a very strong game as their defensive centre. Either Gaudreau or Arnold was on the ice for every BC goal.

Good hockey game.

yeah it was a fantastic game, thank god ESPN didn't black out their online feed to Canada. When Gaudreau scored I started texting my buddies about how awesome it was, I think his nickname should be "The Goods" for reasons obvious to anyone that has seen him play. That goal was not just pretty but it was so clutch, those goaltenders had been putting on a clinic since the first period.

I was pretty happy with Gaudreau's game even though Ferris State did an excellent job of shutting him down, he seemed to have a knack for knowing where the play would end up before everyone else. He was good at finding open areas, skated very well and has the tenacity that made Fleury successful. He also led all freshmen this year with 44 points in 44 games.

Arnold impressed me for different reasons. I never noticed how he did on draws, but otherwise he reminded me alot of Stephane Yelle. I noticed him most in the neutral because he would break up so many plays before they could get going because of his neutral zone pressure and force alot of turnovers. If he can become dominant in the circle he could be our go to defensive center for years to come.

As an aside, I really want the Flames to sign one of the starting goaltenders from this evening. Taylor Nelson (Ferris State) and Parker Milner (Boston College) were incredible all night and have been all season from the sounds of it. Nelson is a senior so luring him out of college wouldn't be an issue, however Milner does have 1 year of NCAA eligibility left. I would approach Milner tomorrow and see is he is willing to leave school a year early, if he says no then go to Nelson and try and get the Regina boy under contract ASAP. I think we really need at least 1 more goaltender within the organization that is AHL ready since I expect Ortio to stay in Finland next year and Karlsson to be either traded, bought out or assigned to Europe (he wouldn't play in the AHL for the Sharks, why would he be different for us).

Archived