Louis23

I thought so too prior to this season but from what we've seen so far, he'll have to steal about 5 games to make up for the 5 games he's single handedly lost for the Oilers.  He's been average at best and outright terrible most nights.  Weak goals at bad times.

I was one of Dubnyks biggest supporters last season, and one of his biggest defenders this season.  But, he has royally screwed the pooch, his play has been nothing short of detestible this year and impossible to defend.  Even the win against Florida was an embarassment.  What should have been a 3-0 game ends up knotted at 3 going into overtime.  horrible.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'll give Eakins one thing, he's (unintentionally) funny. Always that sour tone responding to questions and rolling his eyes while cursing behind the bench, that vulture-like scowl on his face as his swoop of hair bounces with every move of the head... it'd make for a great bobblehead night promotion for the fans.

I believe I read that Mac T stated as much too. Yak is still a project much like Sven. If any one should be on the trade front it would be Ebs or Hall, J Schultz possibly Ganger. Some one has to go, frankly if they have such great offensive why do they score less than we do.  

I see Eakins says Yukupov won't be traded.

Isn't that up to McT?

So the rumour is now Eberle to Flyers... Word out of Edmonton is Eberle is untouchable. Confused, RNH was a no brainer according to Mac T, Eberle is untouchable and they are going to work things out with Yak. 

So that said the only assets worth anything are Gagner or Hall, but I bet they are not movable as well. This team is a two to three player trade from actually being something good.

So the rumour is now Eberle to Flyers... Word out of Edmonton is Eberle is untouchable. Confused, RNH was a no brainer according to Mac T, Eberle is untouchable and they are going to work things out with Yak. 

So that said the only assets worth anything are Gagner or Hall, but I bet they are not movable as well. This team is a two to three player trade from actually being something good.

The Oilers are a major overhaul away from being in the playoffs.

Flames can have Smid. Staios was a bad influence on him in the beginning anyway :)

The Oilers are a major overhaul away from being in the playoffs.

Flames can have Smid. Staios was a bad influence on him in the beginning anyway :)

Smid's situation is far from Staios'. 

Staios was on the cusp of retirement and was used and abused by the Oil to the point where Calgary barely extracted anything from him.

Smid is only 27, and has many years to go to be able to ditch the Oilers development path he was so sadly handed, and given a new life as a serviceable top 4 D.

Lets call it GlenX 2.0. :)

Smid's situation is far from Staios'.

Staios was on the cusp of retirement and was used and abused by the Oil to the point where Calgary barely extracted anything from him.

Smid is only 27, and has many years to go to be able to ditch the Oilers development path he was so sadly handed, and given a new life as a serviceable top 4 D.

Lets call it GlenX 2.0. :)

*ahem* Smid was first introduced to the oilers when MacT was coaching, the 2007 season was very special.... Staios' partner and then just starting out defenceman was Smid, they were together in the most injury ridden season I have ever witnessed with both players clocking in over 20 or so minutes at the end of that season.... playing top line minutes when they both didn't deserve it. Smid was a but of a surprise in that season because he roughed it out.

Both players play a very similar style. Staios while he was younger, blocked shots, punished his body with hits and a stay at home guy. Smid plays a very similar style with Staios and dare I say Smith. All of which were coached under MacT.... who likes players to have grit but not style...

Meh.... what do I know right?

*ahem* Smid was first introduced to the oilers when MacT was coaching, the 2007 season was very special.... Staios' partner and then just starting out defenceman was Smid, they were together in the most injury ridden season I have ever witnessed with both players clocking in over 20 or so minutes at the end of that season.... playing top line minutes when they both didn't deserve it. Smid was a but of a surprise in that season because he roughed it out.

Both players play a very similar style. Staios while he was younger, blocked shots, punished his body with hits and a stay at home guy. Smid plays a very similar style with Staios and dare I say Smith. All of which were coached under MacT.... who likes players to have grit but not style...

Meh.... what do I know right?

But this is 2013.  That was over half a decade ago. 

Like I said above, Smid has a chance to shed his development from the Oilers, utilize his strengths, and gain a different development path with the Flames.  The same happened with GlenX and is plausable with Smid.  I'm not going to compare Smid to Staois as they had 2 totally different situations.  Injuries happen, however Smid hasn't had many in the last 2 seasons. 

The fact is, he's been one of the Oilers better serving defencemen the last 2 years as well.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt before raining on his parade here in Calgary.

But this is 2013.  That was over half a decade ago. 

Like I said above, Smid has a chance to shed his development from the Oilers, utilize his strengths, and gain a different development path with the Flames.  The same happened with GlenX and is plausable with Smid.  I'm not going to compare Smid to Staois as they had 2 totally different situations.  Injuries happen, however Smid hasn't had many in the last 2 seasons. 

The fact is, he's been one of the Oilers better serving defencemen the last 2 years as well.  I'll give him the benefit of the doubt before raining on his parade here in Calgary.

Smid was under Staios and Smith as his influences in the way he plays, he is not good with the puck and as much as you can be a great shot blocker there has to be a way to create a play, not kill it completely or give the opposition another scoring chance by dropping down on the puck. Are you a goalie? Or a dman?

He was forced to play a leading role which I think hurt him than it did help. There was no accountability. You play, lead and stick to it and have zero time to really develop something more useful....

Maybe he will develop in the flames but that guy sticks to what is familiar.

b6759ab3bb180cb18de9b4fd2f92353a.png

Bryz regarding his contract:   ”The buyout was like the universe, you know like how was created, you know, like, what is it, you know? My buyout was so humongous big, right? But if you see my new contract is like our solar system and our galaxy on the side, you know, like, $ 1.75 mil is so small you can never see it. Our galaxy is like huge, but if you see the big picture our galaxy (is) like a small tiny-like dot in the universe.   But at least I am still in the solar system even if I am playing for Pluto.   Is actually the 'dwarf planet' that many do not even consider to be a real planet, but is ok because I am Bryz, the spaceship superstar.“

So the talk is now Eberle and Hemsky to Philly for Simmonds and Luke Scheen. Thoughts ?

Withful thinking by the Oiler fans.

The size of the contracts alone would put the kibbosh on that.

I wouldn't mind taking Eberle off their hands if they retain part of that unearned over-rich contract but we suffer enough injuries without adding Hemsky (maybe he'll be flattened today).

Simmonds is the only decent part of the return from the Richards trade & carries a reasonable contract. Luke Schenn has been a healthy scratch the last 2 games (replaced by Hal Gill) so I wouldn't be shocked if he was moved. Luke will still be worth something & his NTC doesn't kick in until 2015-16.

Withful thinking by the Oiler fans.

The size of the contracts alone would put the kibbosh on that.

I wouldn't mind taking Eberle off their hands if they retain part of that unearned over-rich contract but we suffer enough injuries without adding Hemsky (maybe he'll be flattened today).

Simmonds is the only decent part of the return from the Richards trade & carries a reasonable contract. Luke Schenn has been a healthy scratch the last 2 games (replaced by Hal Gill) so I wouldn't be shocked if he was moved. Luke will still be worth something & his NTC doesn't kick in until 2015-16.

If the flyers can trade L Schenn now and get anything decent that's a win. The JVR trade is definitely one the flyers wish they could have a do-over on.

If the flyers can trade L Schenn now and get anything decent that's a win. The JVR trade is definitely one the flyers wish they could have a do-over on.

It was a trade of 2 under achieving high picks. Both teams hoped a change of scenery would kick start the 1 they traded for. It worked out for TO.

The way JVR was playing the Flyers weren't giving up much @ the time.

It's not even in top 5 of Homer's bad trades (there's a thread on the Flyers board) IMO.

Patrick Sharp to Chicago was a biggie but that was Clarke's mistake.

Homer has traded young proven players for a return of maybe & used high picks as sweeteners. Those are the 1s that irk me.

It was a trade of 2 under achieving high picks. Both teams hoped a change of scenery would kick start the 1 they traded for. It worked out for TO.

The way JVR was playing the Flyers weren't giving up much @ the time.

It's not even in top 5 of Homer's bad trades (there's a thread on the Flyers board) IMO.

Patrick Sharp to Chicago was a biggie but that was Clarke's mistake.

Homer has traded young proven players for a return of maybe & used high picks as sweeteners. Those are the 1s that irk me.

Lol I almost feel your pain when speaking such ill of your flyers lol. On the plus side Claude got himself a goal today!!

As for the oilers and bryz, I see a lot of fans hoping its the bryz from Phoenix than from Philly. One question, when did the oilers become as defensive as Phoenix? Oh! They didn't?! Well then it should be interesting to see what happens lol

Lol I almost feel your pain when speaking such ill of your flyers lol. On the plus side Claude got himself a goal today!!

As for the oilers and bryz, I see a lot of fans hoping its the bryz from Phoenix than from Philly. One question, when did the oilers become as defensive as Phoenix? Oh! They didn't?! Well then it should be interesting to see what happens lol

Not ever, since Feaster acquired one of their best D men through magic, trickery, and thievery.  :ph34r: 

I'm conflicted... I'm no Oilers supporter, but I'd love to see Bryz prove the critics wrong and stick around. I wish more players had half the personality he does (or more likely they do, but the media eats them alive if they say anything outside the standard buzzword fodder answers). 

I guess I hope he succeeds just enough that the Oilers don't get another high pick.

Just a thought.

This is the 2nd time in the last few years a team weakened their roster to sign Bryz.

We know the 1st 1 only worked our well for the players traded to create the cap space. :mellow:

A part of me thinks the Bryz move is a mask to disguise the Oilers true intentions to tank it and draft Reinhart or Ekblad.

I mean seriously.  A team who is 1 or 2 stud Dmen away from being a playoff team trades away their best Dman.  It's puzzling.  As mentioned by many others already, Bryz was terrible in a non-defensive team in Philly.  Oilers aren't that much better, if not worse.

A part of me thinks the Bryz move is a mask to disguise the Oilers true intentions to tank it and draft Reinhart or Ekblad.

I mean seriously.  A team who is 1 or 2 stud Dmen away from being a playoff team trades away their best Dman.  It's puzzling.  As mentioned by many others already, Bryz was terrible in a non-defensive team in Philly.  Oilers aren't that much better, if not worse.

they are way further away than 1 or 2 stud d-men.  They are a quality goaltender and a backup, at least 3 quality d-men, and a good 4 big strong forwards away from even thinking about a wildcard.  That's IF the current group decides to lift a weight or two on their days off instead of keeping up their celeb status.  If we see all that, and are lucky enough to see them decide that they want to see each other succeed as much as themselves, then maybe they have a chance.  They aren't tanking on purpose, they are literally in the middle of a gong show.

they are way further away than 1 or 2 stud d-men.  They are a quality goaltender and a backup, at least 3 4 quality d-men (now), a GM, a coach, and a good 4 big strong forwards away from even thinking about a wildcard.

Sorry bronco...   Couldn't help it...   :)

I agree Bronco, that they aren't trying to tank. I don't think they are as many players away as you are suggesting, but I agree that they need to shed the 'me first' mentality before anything happens.

But if you're right and they aren't tanking, why on earth would they trade Smid, further weakening their weakest position? There is no way that the goaltending improves until the team defense does - you can't ask goalies to keep saving point blank shots and stopping guys that are wide open for rebounds.

It was a truly amazing trade.

Listening to Mac T on why they traded Smid, he truly believes they have depth at the d position in the AHL and with Nurse :wacko: . The deal was done to bring in Bryz. Could this be the bold move he spoke of......

Hey watch me pull a goalie out of this hat.

45ec0d0980cea0de0249acee751bf0e7.png

Oopps

I agree Bronco, that they aren't trying to tank. I don't think they are as many players away as you are suggesting, but I agree that they need to shed the 'me first' mentality before anything happens.

But if you're right and they aren't tanking, why on earth would they trade Smid, further weakening their weakest position? There is no way that the goaltending improves until the team defense does - you can't ask goalies to keep saving point blank shots and stopping guys that are wide open for rebounds.

It was a truly amazing trade.

Archived