Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

For the past 2 season openings I have gone over to the Oiler forums and told them they need to overhaul the D and get a decent goalie.

It appears they attempted to get Schnider who would have likely filled that hole, so kudos for trying.

Oilers managed to get a good pickup in Ference and actually drafted a decent D prospect in Nurse.

• You will have to be patient with Nurse. Oiler Fans should hope they don't rush him into the NHL next season like you have with your #1 picks. One day you might realize rushing your propects into the NHL is not a good thing.
  • Ference will be among your top D for a couple of years, but he has entered his twighlight playing years and you may regret signing him for such a long term.
  • You still need an upgrade at Goaltending position despite DD's numbers last season.
  • Rotating door for coaches doesn't work. Flames know this by experience. Oilers apparently still need to learn this lesson on their own. Replacing one motivational coach with another motivational coach with no NHL experience is a step forward?
  • Your Top 2 lines are small and soft and your insistance to keep the majority of them will hurt you in the future. One big power forward will help but won't be that difference maker.

I would have fired Lowe a long time ago for the crap teams he put on the ice. I would have sent his pompous butt , his multiple SC rings, and that NYR picture in his office down the road. One day the Oiler fans will be able to quit dreaming of the past and look forward to a future, but it likely won't be with Lowe or one of his buddies steering that ship.

You are long past the "Just wait we are going to be great" stage. I am now saying to Oilers and their fans it is put up or shutup time.

MacT keeps on surprising me. I was the first to laugh at this choice but right now he's making unbelievable trades. The fact that he got a fine young d-man in Larsen for a guy like Horcoff, who I believed would have to be given away just for a team to pick him up due to his salary. Well they get Perron for an underachiever in Pajaarvi, and yet don't even add a 1st. Great, great job by MacT.

The Oilers are having an excellent off-season.

Dumping Horcoff without a buyout.

Drafting Darnell Nurse

Adding Perron

Adding Ference

Only three questions remain.

1. Can Devan Dubnyk get it done?

- I don't think Dubnyk is a high end goaltender but from what we've seen in the league these days, as long as the team can play decent defense, an average goalie can be made to look good.  I think Dubnyk is enough to get the Oilers into the playoffs.

2. Is RNH a bust?

- you could make the excuse that he had a sophomore slump but this will be year 3 and Nugent-Hopkins hasn't looked anywhere near a #1 overall pick.  If RNH is a bust, then the Oilers may have a tough time with lines because only Sam Gagner is the other legit top 6 Center.

3. Is the blueline ready to take the next step?

- Ference will help their depth.  If Nurse is ready to play, then he adds a new dimension to the Oilers as well.  These two join Schultz, Schultz, Smid, and Petry.  Also, Klefbom is suppose to be a stud in the making.  David Musil is also suppose to be stellar.  If the Oilers D finally comes around, then i think the Oilers make the playoffs.

Yep, I certainly can't diss their recent moves. MacT is doing everything he can to fill the holes, and he's pulling off some really good trades. If they don't have a better season I think it's on the players and coaches, not the GM.

Yep, I certainly can't diss their recent moves. MacT is doing everything he can to fill the holes, and he's pulling off some really good trades. If they don't have a better season I think it's on the players and coaches, not the GM.

Without a doubt, the Oil are making some positive moves...   Even with what they have done so far this off season, I would be surprised if they do not show progress this season...

Adding Perron was a very positive step in the right direction. Solid trade.

Heck of a good trade for the Oilers.

Yet when I went to check the reaction on the Oilers board there seems to be a lot of members that see only draft position when judging a trade. They'd probably prefer to stumble around until they have a team comprissed only of top 10 picks (mostly forwards as they put up sexier #s). They are likely the same 1s who's reaction to drafting Nurse was wondering if he could be moved to wing. :)

In this case the Oilers filled a need by trading a redundant player & a 2nd to fill a hole.

So far with Ference, drafting Nurse rather then Nichushkin, adding Larsen while getting rid of Horcoff's anchor of a contract & this trade make the Oilers a better team.

Maybe but they were already small on top 2 lines and just got smaller.

PJs has more size but plays small. Perron plays bigger then his size.

Oilers are at least addressing their weak points. Not sure Rub a Dub is the best goalie of choice, he has improved however. The still require some grit up front. That being said the current trades has made them better on the defensive end.

Great deal for the Oilers. How'd they pull that off?

lol yea it's good to deviate from the norm every once in a while ;) 

There are many up north that are not happy with that trade at all, feeling that MPS just hasn't hit his stride yet, but come on how much time do we have to give him?  I'm loving the trade, MacTavish so far in his tenure has really impressed me as GM.

MacT keeps on surprising me. I was the first to laugh at this choice but right now he's making unbelievable trades. The fact that he got a fine young d-man in Larsen for a guy like Horcoff, who I believed would have to be given away just for a team to pick him up due to his salary. Well they get Perron for an underachiever in Pajaarvi, and yet don't even add a 1st. Great, great job by MacT.

No kidding.  Grabovski gets bought out in Toronto, and the Oilers get Larsen and a pick for Horcoff... whodathunkit.

Maybe but they were already small on top 2 lines and just got smaller.

smaller by 3 inches, yes.  But, way tougher, way grittier, and way stronger.  Pajaarvi is a powder puff.  If he could actually learn to use his size he would be tenfold better of a player.

The Oilers are having an excellent off-season.

Dumping Horcoff without a buyout.

Drafting Darnell Nurse

Adding Perron

Adding Ference

Only three questions remain.

1. Can Devan Dubnyk get it done?

- I don't think Dubnyk is a high end goaltender but from what we've seen in the league these days, as long as the team can play decent defense, an average goalie can be made to look good.  I think Dubnyk is enough to get the Oilers into the playoffs.

2. Is RNH a bust?

- you could make the excuse that he had a sophomore slump but this will be year 3 and Nugent-Hopkins hasn't looked anywhere near a #1 overall pick.  If RNH is a bust, then the Oilers may have a tough time with lines because only Sam Gagner is the other legit top 6 Center.

3. Is the blueline ready to take the next step?

- Ference will help their depth.  If Nurse is ready to play, then he adds a new dimension to the Oilers as well.  These two join Schultz, Schultz, Smid, and Petry.  Also, Klefbom is suppose to be a stud in the making.  David Musil is also suppose to be stellar.  If the Oilers D finally comes around, then i think the Oilers make the playoffs.

1 - Dubnyk is solid, top 16 in save%, that's enough to look good IF you have a solid D.  Edmonton still has work to do there.

2 - I'm willing to give RNH a break, playing with an injured shoulder didn't help, when he comes back with a new one he will be back to form

3 - Don't forget Larsen, who I do believe will fit in nicely in the bottom 4.  I don't think Nurse makes it this year (don't know if anybody remembers this, but I was cheerleading for Nurse months ago already, so glad we got him).  I do think the D in Edmonton is far better than what they iced last year but still has a ways to go.

I'm gonna add in 4:  Center.  The Oil do have to improve at C, if that means moving Gagner with a package to get a stronger better C then do it!

I laughed my checking from behind off when I heard about this trade. I do not see how this makes the Oilers better at all. Keep getting smaller and softer. The Oilers are going to be super easy to play against. I thought MacT was going to address the weaknesses here not add to them. This has to be the smallest most injury prone group of forwards ever assembled.

I do like the signing of Boyd Gordon, but holy crap did MacT over pay for him.

This team does not look a whole lot different than last years team. Looks like another top 10 pick for Edmonton this year.

I laughed my checking from behind off when I heard about this trade. I do not see how this makes the Oilers better at all. Keep getting smaller and softer. The Oilers are going to be super easy to play against. I thought MacT was going to address the weaknesses here not add to them. This has to be the smallest most injury prone group of forwards ever assembled.

I do like the signing of Boyd Gordon, but holy crap did MacT over pay for him.

This team does not look a whole lot different than last years team. Looks like another top 10 pick for Edmonton this year.

Honestly I don't think so.  While Pajaarvi was marginally taller than Perron (3 inches), he absolutely does not use that extra size to his advantage.  He doesn't hit, and he cannot outmuscle opponents.  He does have a ton of speed though, but even that he doesn't use to his advantage.  Often you will see him take off with the puck with only one defender back, and rather than using his strength to drive to the net he will take one step over the blue line and lob in a soft wrister, giving up possession (because we all know how woefully bad Edmonton is at faceoffs).  Perron on the other hand plays tough, he hits, he grinds, he agitates, and he uses his muscle.  But, he can also put up the pionts.  He's like a poor mans version of Dustin Brown in my opinion.  He will do very well slotting in on line two in my opinion.

Edit to add:  I should have added that Pajaarvi has tremendous potential though, and even though he hasn't quite figured himself out yet there is no reason to think that he won't.  He could and in fact SHOULD end up being a very good player who has pretty much the whole package, size strength speed and skill.  We could look back at this trade in several years and view it as St Louis winning the trade.  But that wasn't the point for Edmonton.  They needed to start improving NOW, they basically moved an incredible future potential for what they need now, and in my opinion it was the right choice.

Honestly I don't think so.  While Pajaarvi was marginally taller than Perron (3 inches), he absolutely does not use that extra size to his advantage.  He doesn't hit, and he cannot outmuscle opponents.  He does have a ton of speed though, but even that he doesn't use to his advantage.  Often you will see him take off with the puck with only one defender back, and rather than using his strength to drive to the net he will take one step over the blue line and lob in a soft wrister, giving up possession (because we all know how woefully bad Edmonton is at faceoffs).  Perron on the other hand plays tough, he hits, he grinds, he agitates, and he uses his muscle.  But, he can also put up the pionts.  He's like a poor mans version of Dustin Brown in my opinion.  He will do very well slotting in on line two in my opinion.

I agree that Perron is grittier than Pajaarvi, and wasn't really trying to say that the Oilers got softer in the Perron vs Pajaarvi comparison. Perron is nothing like Dustin Brown, Brown had 156 hits last year Perron had 48. If anything he's a poor mans version of Zach Parise without the leadership qualities and intangibles and top end offensive abilities.

Perron is an upgrade over Pajaarvi but if Perron is your gritty top 6 forward then things aren't looking too good.

I agree that Perron is grittier than Pajaarvi, and wasn't really trying to say that the Oilers got softer in the Perron vs Pajaarvi comparison. Perron is nothing like Dustin Brown, Brown had 156 hits last year Perron had 48. If anything he's a poor mans version of Zach Parise without the leadership qualities and intangibles and top end offensive abilities.

Perron is an upgrade over Pajaarvi but if Perron is your gritty top 6 forward then things aren't looking too good.

Dude outside of macintyre the oilers don't know what a physical player is over the last several years. Fistric and brown brought in at the end of last season but they haven't done too much yet, so yes for the oilers David Perron is bob probert lmao! Oh ya we had huggy bear but come on, Zach Stortini?

It looks like MacT and Gagner could not come to an agreement on a contract, and Gagner has filed for arbitration...   I am curious to see what amount the decision will be for...   http://www.nhlpa.com/news/21-players-elect-salary-arbitration

Second time in 3 years. Ganger IMO has not been treated well by the organization. He bleeds copper and blue.

It looks like MacT and Gagner could not come to an agreement on a contract, and Gagner has filed for arbitration...   I am curious to see what amount the decision will be for...   http://www.nhlpa.com/news/21-players-elect-salary-arbitration

There is still a couple of weeks for them to come to an agreement on a contract. I just believe that today or yesterday was the deadline for players to file for arbitration.

There is still a couple of weeks for them to come to an agreement on a contract. I just believe that today or yesterday was the deadline for players to file for arbitration.

Yes lots of time. I remember Ian White and Dutter coming to an agreement while they were sitting outside in the lobby waiting for their turn to go in and see the arbitrator.

It was kind of funny because of this :

3912c781e8f20feb97531799d83eeae7.png

6132c0a157f6290998da162fc99546e9.png

73f5ede8904a03124890899d9debd627.png

Big difference. Oilers were small and got smaller even if Perron plays big. Then there is that injury history.

Strange..... the first 3 web sites i checked have Perron at 6 feet

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474102

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95960

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/perroda01.html

But i also believe this move solidifies the Hemsky move.... Mac T was lucky enough to get Horcoff taken off his hands so im sure Hemsky will be easier. Maybe a team like Columbus or Florida would take him on

Strange..... the first 3 web sites i checked have Perron at 6 feet

http://www.nhl.com/ice/player.htm?id=8474102

http://www.hockeydb.com/ihdb/stats/pdisplay.php?pid=95960

http://www.hockey-reference.com/players/p/perroda01.html

But i also believe this move solidifies the Hemsky move.... Mac T was lucky enough to get Horcoff taken off his hands so im sure Hemsky will be easier. Maybe a team like Columbus or Florida would take him on

With kovalchuk retiring the devils might be a good destination

Archived