Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Oilers are doomed so long as Chiarelli and his old school thinking are the GM. Not only am I amazed he is still the GM i am astounded that people actually considered him for GM of the year last year.....

We have not witnessed the level of incompetence that Chiarelli has run the Oilers with in some time. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The Oilers are doomed so long as Chiarelli and his old school thinking are the GM. Not only am I amazed he is still the GM i am astounded that people actually considered him for GM of the year last year.....

We have not witnessed the level of incompetence that Chiarelli has run the Oilers with in some time. 

He broke BOS.

He's almost completely derailed the Oils.

The brass there are as out of touch as Chia.  

Nobody is getting fired except maybe the coaches.

Pretty sure Chia will trade the guys with value to get a tank team in place.

They have 3 or 4 good players on the team right now, plus a couple that are struggling this year.

The rest is crap.

The prospects not playing are no better than the Stockton guys not good enough to get call ups.

• 2 weeks later...

So, how much do you think the Oilers are missing having Hall and Eberle with them? Hall is having a career year for goals (and is officially a 30 goal scorer) and at 74 points (will likely set a new career high) and is riding a 26 game point streak, while Eberle is still doing his career normal (he's at 47 points, probably finish around 55-60). I bet their combined 53 goals and over 100 points would have easily changed the season for the Oilers.

5 hours ago, Khrox said:

So, how much do you think the Oilers are missing having Hall and Eberle with them? Hall is having a career year for goals (and is officially a 30 goal scorer) and at 74 points (will likely set a new career high) and is riding a 26 game point streak, while Eberle is still doing his career normal (he's at 47 points, probably finish around 55-60). I bet their combined 53 goals and over 100 points would have easily changed the season for the Oilers.

The highlight of my year so far was before the Trade deadline, Chiarelli was interviewed about his shopping list and he mentioned his 2 biggest areas of focus were a winger to play with McDavid and a puck moving dman.

Traded Hall to get Larson. So not only did you move a winger that could have played with McDavid you didn't get a puck moving dman?

Traded Eberle for cap - again lost a winger that could play with McDavid and got nothing in return.

Traded drafts picks (with Barzal still available) to get Griffen Reinhart. So again swing and a miss on a puck moving dman and you lose a winger that could play with McDavid in the process....

Now he is dangling his best puck moving dman in Klefbom to get that winger that can play with McDavid

You can't even make this stuff up....

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

The highlight of my year so far was before the Trade deadline, Chiarelli was interviewed about his shopping list and he mentioned his 2 biggest areas of focus were a winger to play with McDavid and a puck moving dman.

Traded Hall to get Larson. So not only did you move a winger that could have played with McDavid you didn't get a puck moving dman?

Traded Eberle for cap - again lost a winger that could play with McDavid and got nothing in return.

Traded drafts picks (with Barzal still available) to get Griffen Reinhart. So again swing and a miss on a puck moving dman and you lose a winger that could play with McDavid in the process....

Now he is dangling his best puck moving dman in Klefbom to get that winger that can play with McDavid

Next thing you will hear is talk of trading Draisaitl for Doubty.

Expect him to overpay for Maroon in the summer because McDavid wants him back.

Nuge for a winger.

The team is stripped down to barely a top line.  

On March 7, 2018 at 11:37 AM, cross16 said:

Reminds me of the time I had a flat tire on the front of the driver's side. I grabbed the one from the other side, but then I had a flat on the passenger's side. So, I took one from the rear of the vehicle...

The oilers truly are amazing. I don't think there has ever been a team that has burned through that much talent with so little to show for it. I am not even being a pesky Flames fan when I say that. It is just incredible that they can underperform like that. I was certain that Hall was the cancer on that team. It seems that their problems run far deeper. 

30 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Reminds me of the time I had a flat tire on the front of the driver's side. I grabbed the one from the other side, but then I had a flat on the passenger's side. So, I took one from the rear of the vehicle...

The oilers truly are amazing. I don't think there has ever been a team that has burned through that much talent with so little to show for it. I am not even being a pesky Flames fan when I say that. It is just incredible that they can underperform like that. I was certain that Hall was the cancer on that team. It seems that their problems run far deeper. 

Who knows if Hall was the cancer on that team. I mean, from interviews he has had this year in NJ, it seems like he's being counted on to be the leader, is wearing an A and from what I gather, he's rumoured to be the next team Captain. Maybe it was a maturity thing? Maybe it was just rough to spend 6 years being one of the only guys on the team who actually had NHL talent. And it probably has to have something to do with coaching. I mean, most players who were drafted by Edmonton does better when they are on other teams (Dubnyk, Hall, Petry, arguably Smid when he was healthy, Eberle is on pace for his second best season). 

13 hours ago, Khrox said:

Who knows if Hall was the cancer on that team. I mean, from interviews he has had this year in NJ, it seems like he's being counted on to be the leader, is wearing an A and from what I gather, he's rumoured to be the next team Captain. Maybe it was a maturity thing? Maybe it was just rough to spend 6 years being one of the only guys on the team who actually had NHL talent. And it probably has to have something to do with coaching. I mean, most players who were drafted by Edmonton does better when they are on other teams (Dubnyk, Hall, Petry, arguably Smid when he was healthy, Eberle is on pace for his second best season). 

Cogliano

15 hours ago, Khrox said:

Hall was at times lazy without the puck, but that was a long time ago.  Cancer in the room?  Only if you consider that of a heart-and-soul player, who would call out other player when they looked to be coasting.  He has a big personality, so they wanted him out of there.  Well, that's the under story.  Chia couldn't get a top pair D-man if he tried.  Jersey was goint to take him for a ride if he wanted a decent player.

The biggest need they had was a puck-moving, offensive D-man.  They got a good player, but not one that looks to be a top guy.  

On 3/9/2018 at 9:56 PM, Khrox said:

Maybe it was just rough to spend 6 years being one of the only guys on the team who actually had NHL talent. 

Think this is a great point.

Hall has basically said as much as well, though a little more cryptic, that his frustration around the trade was being criticized for not being a winner and doing the things it takes to win yet they threw him in as a young kid with very little help and then the organization expected to snap their fingers and all the kids would be winners all of a sudden. Doesn't work that way. 

I truly believe the Taylor Hall trade will go down as one of the top 5 worst NHL trades of all time. The guy won back to back Memorial Cups before he was 18, ya i'll bet he was a big cancer.... :rolleyes:

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

Think this is a great point.

Hall has basically said as much as well, though a little more cryptic, that his frustration around the trade was being criticized for not being a winner and doing the things it takes to win yet they threw him in as a young kid with very little help and then the organization expected to snap their fingers and all the kids would be winners all of a sudden. Doesn't work that way. 

I truly believe the Taylor Hall trade will go down as one of the top 5 worst NHL trades of all time. The guy won back to back Memorial Cups before he was 18, ya i'll bet he was a big cancer.... :rolleyes:

I suspected that he was a cancer in the dressing room. There is no doubt that he has talent, but that says nothing about his personality. Evander Kane is a talented individual, and I suspect that he is a jerk. I will point out that Edmonton had a solid season after Hall was given the boot. Maybe this year is the anomaly. It is hard to say given the other mistakes that Edmonton has made (i.e. Lucic etc.).

6 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

I suspected that he was a cancer in the dressing room. There is no doubt that he has talent, but that says nothing about his personality. Evander Kane is a talented individual, and I suspect that he is a jerk. I will point out that Edmonton had a solid season after Hall was given the boot. Maybe this year is the anomaly. It is hard to say given the other mistakes that Edmonton has made (i.e. Lucic etc.).

Oh that wasn't directed to you at all. Was directed at the generally held belief that I know didn't start with you. Edmonton media started the whole locker room cancer thing.

I've just always found it ridiculous. Like I said hard for me to believe that a guy as bad as he was made out to be can win back to back Memorial Cups before they are 18. 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oh that wasn't directed to you at all. Was directed at the generally held belief that I know didn't start with you. Edmonton media started the whole locker room cancer thing.

I've just always found it ridiculous. Like I said hard for me to believe that a guy as bad as he was made out to be can win back to back Memorial Cups before they are 18. 

No worries cross. I don't get offended on discussion forums, and I assumed that you were referring to the general theme of him being a cancer. I appreciate your post.

Hall is a very talented player. After the Oilers babied their players so badly including handing out $6 million contracts like candy a year before they needed to, I thought it made them arrogant. I wondered if Hall would be taken down a notch after the trade to New Jersey. It seems like it was a good move for him because he appears to have matured. I cannot really blame them for being arrogant. If I was earning that kind of money when I was just out of my teens, I might be a jerk too. One day, mom is making you breakfast and telling you to finish your homework> Just over two years later, you find yourself colour coding the sports cars in your 6 car garage.

3 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Hall is a very talented player. After the Oilers babied their players so badly including handing out $6 million contracts like candy a year before they needed to, I thought it made them arrogant. I wondered if Hall would be taken down a notch after the trade to New Jersey. It seems like it was a good move for him because he appears to have matured. I cannot really blame them for being arrogant. If I was earning that kind of money when I was just out of my teens, I might be a jerk too. One day, mom is making you breakfast and telling you to finish your homework> Just over two years later, you find yourself colour coding the sports cars in your 6 car garage.

You figure? 

I have had that impression from some players in the past - Dany Heatley, NHL players named Kane, for example... but never from Taylor Hall. Obviously, I wanted to hate him as a Flames fan (albeit, a weird Flames fan that likes the Oilers too... sometimes), but I've always thought him to be somewhat of a lovable bonehead. Like, he really seems like a bit of a dope, but a genuinely kind hearted dude. When he was in Edmonton, I could see that he was frustrated, and he probably felt slighted toward the end of his tenure there, but I never got the impression from him that he's an arrogant brat type. 

That all said, I've never actually met him, and I'm purely speculating based on what I've seen in interviews. I am actually really pleased to see him do so well in NJ. It'll never happen, but I'd love to have him on our team - and that's something I would have said even while he was still in Edmonton. 

Love. 

10 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

You figure? 

I have had that impression from some players in the past - Dany Heatley, NHL players named Kane, for example... but never from Taylor Hall. Obviously, I wanted to hate him as a Flames fan (albeit, a weird Flames fan that likes the Oilers too... sometimes), but I've always thought him to be somewhat of a lovable bonehead. Like, he really seems like a bit of a dope, but a genuinely kind hearted dude. When he was in Edmonton, I could see that he was frustrated, and he probably felt slighted toward the end of his tenure there, but I never got the impression from him that he's an arrogant brat type. 

That all said, I've never actually met him, and I'm purely speculating based on what I've seen in interviews. I am actually really pleased to see him do so well in NJ. It'll never happen, but I'd love to have him on our team - and that's something I would have said even while he was still in Edmonton. 

Love. 

Maybe your views were coloured by the fact that he ended up in Edmonton. I also feel sorry for many players drafted by Edmonton. 

On 7/1/2016 at 8:11 AM, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Cant believe the oilers are going to offer lucic 7 years 42 million, thats insane.

I cant see that contract not bitting them in the behind.

It's already happening. 10 goals 32 points. And with a look on the Oilers boards, it looks like a bunch of them already want him gone. Apparently he is a giant teddy bear on the ice for them and isn't really physical at all. Not to mention his speed issues.

And the funny thing about that Lucic contract was literally everyone but the Oilers organization knew how bad it was going to be. Sometimes a player is just a bad fit and you feel for the club but in this case all of the writing was on the wall and the Oilers went ahead with it.

Best part of the Lucic deal is it's also basically buy out proof. They are stuck with him for basically the whole 7 years unless there is a lockout and the NHL allows another amnesty buyout period. 

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

And the funny thing about that Lucic contract was literally everyone but the Oilers organization knew how bad it was going to be. Sometimes a player is just a bad fit and you feel for the club but in this case all of the writing was on the wall and the Oilers went ahead with it.

Best part of the Lucic deal is it's also basically buy out proof. They are stuck with him for basically the whole 7 years unless there is a lockout and the NHL allows another amnesty buyout period. 

They said they wanted to be tougher to play against.  Invented the whole "Orange Crush" thing.  Larsson is their hit leader (or was last season).  Not exactly sure what they thought Lucic was going to do to improve the team.  Maybe he felt that Lucic would turn the Oilers into the LA Kings.  Just missing a few pieces; franchise goalie, stud d-man, pesky goal scorer, "That 70's Line", attention to defense, etc......

4 hours ago, cross16 said:

I have wondered what was going through Chiarelli's mind when he pulled that one. It seemed like everyone except him knew it was a dumb move. I guess that was his best option available at the time (i.e. there were few or no alternatives) and he believed Lucic had a couple more years left in him. 

7 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

I have wondered what was going through Chiarelli's mind when he pulled that one. It seemed like everyone except him knew it was a dumb move. I guess that was his best option available at the time (i.e. there were few or no alternatives) and he believed Lucic had a couple more years left in him. 

He was Boston's GM before right? So I guess he had the first hand intel on the player, and felt like he had some years left? I am so glad we didn't get him. 

9 hours ago, robrob74 said:

He was Boston's GM before right? So I guess he had the first hand intel on the player, and felt like he had some years left? I am so glad we didn't get him. 

He was also on McDavid's Christmas list.  Need somebody to protect McMuffin.

Well and to be fair to Chiarelli most of the deals signed that summer were bad. Pretty sure that was the summer of long term deals to sub par wingers when Ladd, Eriksson, Okposo and Lucic all got paid and all got crazy term. Wasn't limited to only Chiarelli. 

but behind closed doors i'm almost certain that signing Lucic is what made it ok in their minds to trade Hall which is incredibly stupid logic. I'm sure they figured that by getting Lucic/Larsson they would be tougher to play against, better defensively and only sacrifice a bit of offence. So there is some logic there, it's just horrendously flawed. 

2 hours ago, cross16 said:

Well and to be fair to Chiarelli most of the deals signed that summer were bad. Pretty sure that was the summer of long term deals to sub par wingers when Ladd, Eriksson, Okposo and Lucic all got paid and all got crazy term. Wasn't limited to only Chiarelli. 

but behind closed doors i'm almost certain that signing Lucic is what made it ok in their minds to trade Hall which is incredibly stupid logic. I'm sure they figured that by getting Lucic/Larsson they would be tougher to play against, better defensively and only sacrifice a bit of offence. So there is some logic there, it's just horrendously flawed. 

And we got a cheaper, less offensive Brouwer, at a slightly less cost and term.

Archived