Louis23

10 hours ago, Cowtownguy said:

Yes, why do people assume that he will accept $10 million? I thought that a team could provide a player with as much as something like $15 million. One would assume that he would be the guy to go for that. Otherwise, why not make it a rule that a player can only earn $10 million? Also, are all/most of these guys paid in US dollars?

If he earned $10m in some US states, he would pay less in taxes than in Canada.  So $10m in Texas is worth more than in Alberta.  The thing about that is whether he maintains Canadian ties (healthcare, banking, etc.) determines whether he has to turn around and pay Canadian taxes.  My understanding is that either you become a permanent resident/US Citizen and sever your ties to Canada, or you maintain your Canadian status and are subject to paying CDN taxes.  The countries have a tax treaty, where any money you paid in tax in the US offsets part of your CDN taxes.

As far as the limit for salary goes, it's something like 20% of the cap.  He could earn $14m+.  A discount for him would be $10m.  Crosby signed a 12 year deal averaging $8.7m, but the first 3 years were $12m.  His last 3 years drop off from $9m to $3m.  They can't structure a deal like that anymore.  I actually think McDavid would be dumb to limit his deal to $10m long term.  He would be 28 or so at the end and a UFA.  He should be limiting his term to line up to expire at the start of his UFA eligibility.   

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

If he earned $10m in some US states, he would pay less in taxes than in Canada.  So $10m in Texas is worth more than in Alberta.  The thing about that is whether he maintains Canadian ties (healthcare, banking, etc.) determines whether he has to turn around and pay Canadian taxes.  My understanding is that either you become a permanent resident/US Citizen and sever your ties to Canada, or you maintain your Canadian status and are subject to paying CDN taxes.  The countries have a tax treaty, where any money you paid in tax in the US offsets part of your CDN taxes.

As far as the limit for salary goes, it's something like 20% of the cap.  He could earn $14m+.  A discount for him would be $10m.  Crosby signed a 12 year deal averaging $8.7m, but the first 3 years were $12m.  His last 3 years drop off from $9m to $3m.  They can't structure a deal like that anymore.  I actually think McDavid would be dumb to limit his deal to $10m long term.  He would be 28 or so at the end and a UFA.  He should be limiting his term to line up to expire at the start of his UFA eligibility.   

I could see them persuading him to sign at $10m by compounding the earnings he'll make off of marketing/advertising from partnering with the Oilers. Let's not forget they have the power of Wayne Gretzky and Co. to help sweeten the deal and sell him on Dynasties and Oiler lore...yawn! You get the feeling Mcdavid isn't greedy and he understands the economics of the game and its ability to handcuff teams. I think they get him resigned at reasonable price, nothing exorbitant like the 20% max but 

a price that's fair for both sides and still allows them some ability to stay competitive.

10 minutes ago, rickross said:

I could see them persuading him to sign at $10m by compounding the earnings he'll make off of marketing/advertising from partnering with the Oilers. Let's not forget they have the power of Wayne Gretzky and Co. to help sweeten the deal and sell him on Dynasties and Oiler lore...yawn! You get the feeling Mcdavid isn't greedy and he understands the economics of the game and its ability to handcuff teams. I think they get him resigned at reasonable price, nothing exorbitant like the 20% max but 

a price that's fair for both sides and still allows them some ability to stay competitive.

All fine but what happens with the agent and the PA get involved? I suspsect they will not share you opinion. 

I think there is going to be a lot of pressure on McDavid to re set the market. Currently the highest cap hit is the 10 million held by Toews/Kane/Kopitar and while you can absolutely argue that they have cups, they also don't have the upside McDavid has. I'll be shocked if McDavid's deal isn't at least at 11 mill per as a way to up the salary market and move the benchmark higher. Players, agents and the PA don't get this opportunity very often and I don't see them passing it up. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

All fine but what happens with the agent and the PA get involved? I suspsect they will not share you opinion. 

I think there is going to be a lot of pressure on McDavid to re set the market. Currently the highest cap hit is the 10 million held by Toews/Kane/Kopitar and while you can absolutely argue that they have cups, they also don't have the upside McDavid has. I'll be shocked if McDavid's deal isn't at least at 11 mill per as a way to up the salary market and move the benchmark higher. Players, agents and the PA don't get this opportunity very often and I don't see them passing it up. 

Very true.  The other thing is that he's going to be the first elite player to sign under the new CBA.  Yes, Toews and Kane are both two recent examples, but that's their 2nd big contract each.  Even then, they are being paid $13.8 million until they are in their early 30's.  No way you see a McDavid salary go from $13.8m down to $6.9m while he is still in his twenties.  Maybe it starts low and bounces up to $14m, but I think it will be the same value over time.  

1 hour ago, rickross said:

Imagine the return from that in NYC area (meaning almost every Metro team) or LA compared to what he earns if Edmonton based. The national/international ads will still be available but rather than hawking an Edmonton car dealer or restaurant he is now pushing the high end stuff in richer cities.

And, unlike salaries Canadian endorsements are paid with loonies while American 1s pay the US dollar.

There is also the tax difference where some states offer a much lower combined national/state/city total % than NHL cities in Canada do.

McDavid may or may not be greedy but I doubt he & his advisors are stupid. Every career is 1 injury away from being over so every dollar & interest earned now is important. LTIR covers most of the the $s until the contract ends but after that he has only his former fame to trade on (& if out of the game a few years there is a crop of new "faces of the NHL"). How many endorsements do you see former stars getting (& that can double a current star's income during those top of mind years)

BTW, since he's mentioned in the same breath as Crosby what is the price fair to both sides? With the cap 20% higher is 10.875 fair or do we add cost of living increases since 2013 on top of that?

13 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Imagine the return from that in NYC area (meaning almost every Metro team) or LA compared to what he earns if Edmonton based. The national/international ads will still be available but rather than hawking an Edmonton car dealer or restaurant he is now pushing the high end stuff in richer cities.

And, unlike salaries Canadian endorsements are paid with loonies while American 1s pay the US dollar.

There is also the tax difference where some states offer a much lower combined national/state/city total % than NHL cities in Canada do.

McDavid may or may not be greedy but I doubt he & his advisors are stupid. Every career is 1 injury away from being over so every dollar & interest earned now is important. LTIR covers most of the the $s until the contract ends but after that he has only his former fame to trade on (& if out of the game a few years there is a crop of new "faces of the NHL"). How many endorsements do you see former stars getting (& that can double a current star's income during those top of mind years)

BTW, since he's mentioned in the same breath as Crosby what is the price fair to both sides? With the cap 20% higher is 10.875 fair or do we add cost of living increases since 2013 on top of that?

Personally I hope McDavid takes the Oilers all the way to the bank. I want him to get the full 20% and I'm sure his agents are looking to capitalize on the next generational talent. I'd love for the kid to eat up all the Oilers cap and fiscally handcuff them for years to come. In reality though both sides have to reach an agreement so there'll be some compromises made to reach a deal.

The Oilers have serious decisions to make for the 2017/2018 season.

They have 18 contracts signed past July 1 (includes Fayne buried at $2.675M).

They'll be paying Korpikoski $1M to NOT play for them.

$22M/yr is tied up in Eberle ($6M x 2), Lucic - NMC - ($6M X 6), Pouliot ($4M X 2), & RNH ($6M X 4).

10 UFAs:

Due to Sekera's 6 - 9 month injury, you'd have to see them trying hard to re-sign Russell ($3.5M - $4M per?).

Will Desharnais and his $2.8M be back?

Ference and his $3.25M will retire.

Probably ditto for Hendricks and his $1.85M.

15 RFAs:

Draisaitl is the obvious choice for a large increase. Assuming maximum bonuses for this year, he will have made $3.4M. My guess is his asking price will be at least double that on a long term contract.

Kassian could also cause them some problems. He made $1.5M and is eligible for arbitration. I could see him getting $2.5M - $3M per on a short term contract. He could easily turn into a Bouma or Colborne situation.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

The Oilers have serious decisions to make for the 2017/2018 season.

They have 18 contracts signed past July 1 (includes Fayne buried at $2.675M).

They'll be paying Korpikoski $1M to NOT play for them.

$22M/yr is tied up in Eberle ($6M x 2), Lucic - NMC - ($6M X 6), Pouliot ($4M X 2), & RNH ($6M X 4).

10 UFAs:

Due to Sekera's 6 - 9 month injury, you'd have to see them trying hard to re-sign Russell ($3.5M - $4M per?).

Will Desharnais and his $2.8M be back?

Ference and his $3.25M will retire.

Probably ditto for Hendricks and his $1.85M.

15 RFAs:

Draisaitl is the obvious choice for a large increase. Assuming maximum bonuses for this year, he will have made $3.4M. My guess is his asking price will be at least double that on a long term contract.

Kassian could also cause them some problems. He made $1.5M and is eligible for arbitration. I could see him getting $2.5M - $3M per on a short term contract. He could easily turn into a Bouma or Colborne situation.

I’d say they have some serious decisions to make too.

Another $6M dollar player has to go and its not Lucic.

Lucic for 6 more years at those $’s?  Ouch!

I don’t see any of the 10 UFA’s back.

Russell could help the Oil one more year, but after that his dough needs to go to the Nurse.  I don’t see Russell signing another 1 year deal, he gone.

Desharnais, Ferance and Hendricks gone.

I think your right on Draisaitl.

Kassian gone.

PC needs to start saving the $'s for McD and Draisaitl, starting now.

Because the Oilers have to worry about Draisaitl & others this year & McDavid, Nurse & Benning next while trying to ice a team under the cap I wonder if Griffin Reinhart won;t be far from their mind. 23, coming off an ELC contract that only paid the AHL $s but looks closer to NHL duties.

While Chia is occupied elsewhere put out a 1 way OS for 1.2 (requires no compensation) . Reasonable even if used as 6/7 as callups count near 0.9 so still not bad.

The skill was there in junior & I believe it's near to emerge in the NHL.

If Edmonton matchs the 1 way adds over 1.1 from the 0.070 & the limited NHL $s they could bank on. A little less to spend on others higher on the must list.

That offer costs nothing but Chia's goodwill (hard to go down from 0) but the possible gain is good.

Before anyone says it would P/O other GMs the lack of love for Chia/KLowe would probably make them guffaw & say "well played BT :)".

• 1 month later...
50 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Strome plays wing as well. He'll likely take Eberle's spot as 2/3 RW . If the Oilers can dump RNH as well they can use him as 3C.

I expect they would use him in Eberle's place.  If they dump Nuge, they probably use Callguila on 3rd line C.  He only moved to the wing because of excess centers.

Oh, I'm also happy McDavid won all that hardware.  

1. Gives McDavid more negotiating leverage on his next contract, hopefully $10-mil-per and tear apart the Oilers cap situation.

2. He's living up to the "generational" hype and I hope those who were critical of this label notice no one has been labeled generational in this year's draft.  And no one says Matthews was generational either.  And no one it's saying anyone is generational next year either. 

12 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Puljujarvi is probably ready for action in a 2nd or 3rd line role next season.  In all, the oilers watered down their RW to spend money on more D.  They are quickly becoming more of a one line team than ever before.

Well, Puljujarvi had a bad end to his AHL season, after a decent start.  Projecting him as a NHL top 9 at this point is the same mistake the Oilers made last season.  Some guys take longer.  He will be a good player at some point.

So, the Oilers traded Eberle to make room to sign Russell long term.  Now they can pay him $4+m per season.  They would be "smart" to try to sign Shatty for $7m a season in FA.  They at least need a top 4D just to replace Sekera now, plus someone like Russell.  

I like this trade for the Islanders. They get a very good scorer, especially 5 on 5, that they desperately need and they really didn't give up much to do it. Strome is not a very good hockey player IMO and it's pretty clear he wasn't going anywhere on the Island so Snow did well to cut bait. Snow typically losses his deals though so we'll see how it holds up but the Oilers definitely sold low on Eberle here. 

Interesting to hear from Chiarelli that they view him as a center. I guess it does give them flexibility to move Drasaitl around and back with McDavid but I think there bet chance to get STrome to succeed is with Draisaitl. The only strength i've noticed in Strome is his ability to play a strong half wall game and distribute the puck effectively off of that. That should mesh well with Draisatl's ability to really control the middle of the ice. 

But all in all so far the Oilers have moved Hall and Eberle for Larsson and Strome and enough cap space to sign Milan Lucic and maybe Kris Russell..

never change Chiarelli, never change.....

I decided to get the take on the Eberle from Strome trade & after reading all 3 pages found out they have 0 idea who Strome is. Most seem to only watch Oilers games.:rolleyes:

Anti side: Eberle has more points.

Pro side: 3.5 in cap space.

That's about it. Some mistakenly see Ryan Strome as a big hitter (he was in the GTHL almost 10 years ago) while others see it as Snow ripping Chia off like in the trade for Griffin Reinhardt but the above seems the predominant thoughts. :lol:

18 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Well, Puljujarvi had a bad end to his AHL season, after a decent start.  Projecting him as a NHL top 9 at this point is the same mistake the Oilers made last season.  Some guys take longer.  He will be a good player at some point.

So, the Oilers traded Eberle to make room to sign Russell long term.  Now they can pay him $4+m per season.  They would be "smart" to try to sign Shatty for $7m a season in FA.  They at least need a top 4D just to replace Sekera now, plus someone like Russell.  

Chia pet is making some big mistakes in my opinion. IF he signs russell for 4m a year for 4 years which is what it sounds like is being reported, the oilers are going to be in tough sooner then later.

LeBrun: “Kris Russell has signed his deal with the Oilers.

Front loaded contract but as @TSNRyanRishaug reported, total is $16 M over 4 yrs

”Rishaug: “Modified no trade for Russell in last 2 years of his deal…Russell deal 5, 4.5, 4, 2.5 signing bonus of $2M in year 1 and $1M in year 4.”

55998015eebdd86ae0adf31f16802412.png

30 minutes ago, Carty said:

LeBrun: “Kris Russell has signed his deal with the Oilers.

Front loaded contract but as @TSNRyanRishaug reported, total is $16 M over 4 yrs

”Rishaug: “Modified no trade for Russell in last 2 years of his deal…Russell deal 5, 4.5, 4, 2.5 signing bonus of $2M in year 1 and $1M in year 4.”

55998015eebdd86ae0adf31f16802412.png

Sheesh, I thought that I was the only one who liked Russell and I think that this is way too rich. $5 million for Russell!? He is a good fit for the Oilers insofar as he carries the puck up the ice very well, but he is weak in the defensive zone. I think that we all agree with that. Blocking shots shows great dedication. It also shows that you are unable to shut down the opposition IMO. Keep 'er going Chia!

Archived