Louis23

Oiler fans are starting to go ballistic.  ON is full of doom and gloom, crapping on players, GM, and teams that the Flames have beaten.  Teams aren't taking us seriously or are starting their backup goalies.  Yet somehow, we are beating teams on the first night of a B2B, while the OIlers lose on the 2nd night.

It's fun to witness the breakdown.  Oh, and we are still ahead of the Oilers in:

Points - 80 to 79

Wins - 38 to 35

ROW - 35 to 31

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
7 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Oiler fans are starting to go ballistic.  ON is full of doom and gloom, crapping on players, GM, and teams that the Flames have beaten.  Teams aren't taking us seriously or are starting their backup goalies.  Yet somehow, we are beating teams on the first night of a B2B, while the OIlers lose on the 2nd night.

It's fun to witness the breakdown.  Oh, and we are still ahead of the Oilers in:

Points - 80 to 79

Wins - 38 to 35

ROW - 35 to 31

I was wondering when Talbot would start to breakdown, it looks like maybe now is the time. He has played in 61 of Edmonton's 68 games.

It's not even just the amount of games he's played but the amount of shots he takes game after game. They don't have a proven backup so if Talbot gets injured they're toast! Oilers fans have been deeply traumatized from the last decade, their panicking because they're a fragile bunch and they've been losing so much for so long they've even lost the ability to trust in believe! 

8 hours ago, JTech780 said:

I was wondering when Talbot would start to breakdown, it looks like maybe now is the time. He has played in 61 of Edmonton's 68 games.

He seems to be still a strong goalie, but the team in front of him is already planning golf trips.  A few players seem engaged, but the rest look like they are trying to stay healthy.

The fans, who once thought Russell was a god, are turning on him.  They look like they may implode.  Guess the team is not used to pressure games.  They seem to prefer to play when the heat is off.

Oilers look to me like they are running out of gas. Combination of Talbot being their only goalie, having a team that is relatively inexperienced, and having such little depth up front (especially scoring) that is all likely to happen. They need guys like RNH and Eberle to step up and give them some secondary scoring or its very plausible they could miss the playoffs. 

Edmonton generated a poor culture over a number of years. While bringing in new blood and sending out Hall were intelligent moves, I have wondered if the negativity would set back in once they faced more adversity. Negativity is not something easily eradicated by just a few moves (which is why it is called a culture). I am not saying that is necessarily happening right now. I am just saying that I wondered if it would rear it's ugly head at some point. They are under a bit of pressure right now.

8 hours ago, cross16 said:

Oilers look to me like they are running out of gas. Combination of Talbot being their only goalie, having a team that is relatively inexperienced, and having such little depth up front (especially scoring) that is all likely to happen. They need guys like RNH and Eberle to step up and give them some secondary scoring or its very plausible they could miss the playoffs. 

Those guys did step it up a bit recently.  That said, they are also two of the guys from the old losing environment.  Eberle is one guy I always felt played for the money and fun, not winning games.  When the going gets tough, he is wanting to play shinny.  Would he do anything to win?  I seriously doubt it.  

I thought Talbot would start to hit a wall around now, but I don't think too many of the losses are on him.  I just don't think he can maintain this pace into the playoffs and coninue to win games in spite of the team.

10 hours ago, rickross said:

Is Nail Yakupov still in the NHL? He's disappeared since he got shipped to St Louis, he's looking like one of the biggest 1st overall draft pick flops in recent memory. 

He has 3 goals in 34 games. It looks doubtful the pick St.L gave up for him will be upgraded (Turns into a 2nd if he gets 5).

16 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Those guys did step it up a bit recently.  That said, they are also two of the guys from the old losing environment.  Eberle is one guy I always felt played for the money and fun, not winning games.  When the going gets tough, he is wanting to play shinny.  Would he do anything to win?  I seriously doubt it.  

I thought Talbot would start to hit a wall around now, but I don't think too many of the losses are on him.  I just don't think he can maintain this pace into the playoffs and coninue to win games in spite of the team.

In their last 5 loses Talbot was their best player in 3 of them and had save percentage over .920 despite losing the game. It's definitely not on him. 

I was browsing the oiler forums a few days ago to see if anyone is raging about our teams win streak for the lols and it is hilarious, you'd think the damn sky is falling. 90% of posters think their team is going to miss the playoffs LMAO. Its funny, but also kind of sad what a decade of being garbage can do to the fan base.

6 hours ago, Fins&FIre15 said:

I was browsing the oiler forums a few days ago to see if anyone is raging about our teams win streak for the lols and it is hilarious, you'd think the damn sky is falling. 90% of posters think their team is going to miss the playoffs LMAO. Its funny, but also kind of sad what a decade of being garbage can do to the fan base.

Lol..you can't help but feel for that fanbase.  Unsurmountable suffering they've endured. They're losing confidence in their teams ability and you can't blame with they're history.

Despite the flaws it still looks like it will take a huge collapse for the Oilers to miss the playoffs. Assuming they don't blow a 4 goal lead to the stars, and even if LA then wins, your still up 7 points with 13 to play. Edm has 3 against Van and 2 against Colorado, hard for me to see them only winnng only 4 or 5 while LA would win 9 or 10 of 13. 

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Despite the flaws it still looks like it will take a huge collapse for the Oilers to miss the playoffs. Assuming they don't blow a 4 goal lead to the stars, and even if LA then wins, your still up 7 points with 13 to play. Edm has 3 against Van and 2 against Colorado, hard for me to see them only winnng only 4 or 5 while LA would win 9 or 10 of 13. 

Let's hope we can keep up our play so we can stay ahead of them and they have to play a tougher opponent in the first round. 

Although, Anaheim isn't a slouch, so that could be a long rough series. 

11 hours ago, cross16 said:

EDM does play EDM 3 times.  That is a big equalizer or the death knell for LA.  But the numbers don't lie, EDM is on pace based on points % to be in the playoffs.  Epic collapse could happen, but must coincide with epic turnaround by LA.

• 2 weeks later...

Edmonton may have Cap issues sooner than later.

Leon Draisaitl is rumored to be looking for Johnny Gaudreau money next season.

He's 27- 45 - 72 in 77 games this season.

Connor McDavid may become the first player to receive a "maximum allowable contract" when he re-ups for 2018/2019.

That would be 20% of the Oiler's "upper limit in total annual compensation" (includes salary and signing, roster, reporting, and all performance bonuses).

A $69M Cap would allow for a maximum $13.8M Cap Hit (bonuses included).

That would be $20.55M for the pair of them.

15 hours ago, robrob74 said:

The Oil have taken the division lead. 

Just to clarify, they are tied with Anaheim, but are ahead on ROW.  Both are 5 points ahead of CGY.

Before today's results, here are the number of ROW's for teams in the hunt for divisional or WC spots:

SJS 41

STL 41

CGY 40

EDM 40

ANA 39

NSH 38 

31 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Just to clarify, they are tied with Anaheim, but are ahead on ROW.  Both are 5 points ahead of CGY.

Before today's results, here are the number of ROW's for teams in the hunt for divisional or WC spots:

SJS 41

STL 41

CGY 40

EDM 40

ANA 39

NSH 38 

They still have the most points, and the best ROW between them and the Ducks. It doesn't matter in this point system whether we, or any other teams have more ROW when it comes to placement if they're not tied or have more points.

it is a moot point, while I agree, it might not serve them in the playoffs. It's just the system we are in and have to live with results as is. Right now they're in the div lead.

Archived