Louis23

Oilers are in a tough spot. They're trapped in an endless rebuild but are expected to start winning now! If they can't find success this season then where do they go? They've traded their most established player for a good but not great defencement. They're existing players are depreciating assets, except for mcdavid, drasaitl. They are more balanced now but I really don't see how these recent moves will all of a sudden make them that much more competitive and playoff bound

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I think with them, it's like us, if they miss the playoffs but improve, it's some success. Not being bottom feeders and competitive nightly will do a lot. It's what I expect from us, and with the slight improvements they should. Yet to be seen, but it's going to get harder as teams get better.

Sad fact if you an Oiler fan, but i woudl call the season a win if they finish higher then the bottom 6 or 7 in the league. Baring injury though, I happen to think they will. They arn't there yet, but from a pure competitive standpoint they will be better in the department this year. I don't think you'll see them get steamrolled anymore, guys like Lucic and Larsson and McDavid won't let it happen. 

He's not rugged enough to play center to Drai.

The apparently overwhelming love for Draisaitl at C is one I don't share after many viewings.

He's a lug. His D responsibility is poor at best. If they wish to protect the C attributes he has, he's a 3C.

Put points on a guy suddenly he's awesome.

Watch him play like an NHL C. He doesn't. He isn't the 3rd defender the quality C's in this league have to be.

You move him to wing or give him favourable matchups. He doesn't backcheck like an NHL C. He doesn't skate like an NHL C.

His C game has holes as big as the sky.

I'm not a RNH fan, but I know what a good C has to be capable of all over the ice.

It's RNH 400% more than Draisaitl.

I want the Oilers to remain in squalor, use Draisaitl as a top 6 C. I guarantee, team's will exploit the mismatch.

Backs will turn him inside out, as will many others.

He's got a ways to go.

The apparently overwhelming love for Draisaitl at C is one I don't share after many viewings.

He's a lug. His D responsibility is poor at best. If they wish to protect the C attributes he has, he's a 3C.

Put points on a guy suddenly he's awesome.

Watch him play like an NHL C. He doesn't. He isn't the 3rd defender the quality C's in this league have to be.

You move him to wing or give him favourable matchups. He doesn't backcheck like an NHL C. He doesn't skate like an NHL C.

His C game has holes as big as the sky.

I'm not a RNH fan, but I know what a good C has to be capable of all over the ice.

It's RNH 400% more than Draisaitl.

I want the Oilers to remain in squalor, use Draisaitl as a top 6 C. I guarantee, team's will exploit the mismatch.

Backs will turn him inside out, as will many others.

He's got a ways to go.

I think you missed my point.  I was talking about where to play Nuge.  If you have Darisaitl as a winger, Nuge is the wrong player to be with.  

I think you missed my point.  I was talking about where to play Nuge.  If you have Darisaitl as a winger, Nuge is the wrong player to be with.  

There still isn't a point. Just an opinion.

Kind of just a paintbrush statement that RNH is unworthy of Eberle-RNH-Draisaitl, isn't it?

Enlighten me.

How bad is RNH?

There still isn't a point. Just an opinion.

Kind of just a paintbrush statement that RNH is unworthy of Eberle-RNH-Draisaitl, isn't it?

Enlighten me.

How bad is RNH?

Nuge is built for speed on the attack.  Draisaitl is less so.  Draisaitl uses his size.  Nuge doesn't.

I doubt you ever see a combo of Draisaitl-Nuge-Eberle.  Eberle will likely start on McDavid's wing, which is where he was successful last year.  If the big Finn is not ready, you will likely see Maroon on RW and Draisaitl at center.

Sad fact if you an Oiler fan, but i woudl call the season a win if they finish higher then the bottom 6 or 7 in the league. Baring injury though, I happen to think they will. They arn't there yet, but from a pure competitive standpoint they will be better in the department this year. I don't think you'll see them get steamrolled anymore, guys like Lucic and Larsson and McDavid won't let it happen. 

For me, I think a successful season is one where they finish 19th or better in the NHL. That's their previous high in the last 10 years. 

I think anything less than the playoffs is a fail. If they juuust fall short of a playoff berth then I'd consider it a success as well. Anything that shows they are consistently competitive throughout the season should do. New arena, new team (again!) they need to perform...otherwise they'll break that shameful playoff record for ineptitude...11 solid years and counting! Waiting 6 years for the Flames was brutal..Oiler fans waiting almost twice that amount of time is just cruel.

Lots of pressure on McD, Lucic and Larson let alone Mclellan and Chia Pet's job security this upcoming season. That 1st game against the Devils will be too good not to watch.

That's awesome, you talk like the Flames are a perennial  playoff contender. 

Cute.

Let's see, the last 10 seasons, the Flames have made the playoffs 4 times, advanced to the 2nd round once, and finished worse than the Oilers once. We've also never had a #1 OA pick in franchise history; yet, we are rebuilding faster than the Oilers. Remind me how many #1OA picks they've had? Remind me how well the Oilers have done over the last 10 seasons?

Cute.

Let's see, the last 10 seasons, the Flames have made the playoffs 4 times, advanced to the 2nd round once, and finished worse than the Oilers once. We've also never had a #1 OA pick in franchise history; yet, we are rebuilding faster than the Oilers. Remind me how many #1OA picks they've had? Remind me how well the Oilers have done over the last 10 seasons?

I know that in comparison, it's as you say... But out of the last 5 years we made it once. And wasn't it 7 years in a row we missed? I am not one to compare in this manner. If you're comparing, they also have what, 5 cups to our 1? We have nothing to brag about, other than, we've had a little more success with drafting lower in the last 5 years or so... 

I know that in comparison, it's as you say... But out of the last 5 years we made it once. And wasn't it 7 years in a row we missed? I am not one to compare in this manner. If you're comparing, they also have what, 5 cups to our 1? We have nothing to brag about, other than, we've had a little more success with drafting lower in the last 5 years or so... 

I think that in the past few years we have been one of the bottom teams, but never dead last, so we haven't drafted #1-3 overall and been to able achieve a "full" rebuild. That's what I believe is necessary for a Stanley Cup team, looking at the Sharks, Penguins, and Lightning all whom have one of those first 3 picks playing a major role in their lineup. Also, the Blues having Bouwmeester as 3rd overall (admittedly not the best example).

I think that in the past few years we have been one of the bottom teams, but never dead last, so we haven't drafted #1-3 overall and been to able achieve a "full" rebuild. That's what I believe is necessary for a Stanley Cup team, looking at the Sharks, Penguins, and Lightning all whom have one of those first 3 picks playing a major role in their lineup. Also, the Blues having Bouwmeester as 3rd overall (admittedly not the best example).

On the other hand, we have got SM @ 6 and SB @ 4. SM has been one of the most successful players of his draft year so far. SB was among a top 4 that were very close and likely slid due to the pull-up thing. In addition to that, we got JG in the 4th round. In some redrafts of his year, I've seen him go as #1OA. So besides SB, we've had some solid drafting to get players with top 3 pick talent so far. We haven't needed to keep the tank well oiled like a certain other team.

These numbers are from HockeyDB. Who would you rather draft at #1OA? We have our #1OA pick, we just used our 4th round pick on him.

Player                          GP  Pts Pts/Game Pick Number

Johnny Gaudreau       160 143   0.89375    #104OA

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 313 222  0.709265   #1OA

Gabriel Landeskog      356 246  0.691011   #2OA

Jonathan Huberdeau   272 172  0.632353   #3OA

On the other hand, we have got SM @ 6 and SB @ 4. SM has been one of the most successful players of his draft year so far. SB was among a top 4 that were very close and likely slid due to the pull-up thing. In addition to that, we got JG in the 4th round. In some redrafts of his year, I've seen him go as #1OA. So besides SB, we've had some solid drafting to get players with top 3 pick talent so far. We haven't needed to keep the tank well oiled like a certain other team.

These numbers are from HockeyDB. Who would you rather draft at #1OA? We have our #1OA pick, we just used our 4th round pick on him.

Player                          GP  Pts Pts/Game Pick Number

Johnny Gaudreau       160 143   0.89375    #104OA

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 313 222  0.709265   #1OA

Gabriel Landeskog      356 246  0.691011   #2OA

Jonathan Huberdeau   272 172  0.632353   #3OA

Actually I like Gaudreau but how did he do in the playoffs? A little bit of a Houdini(disappearing act), wasn't it when things got a little rough?

Player GP Pts Pts/Game Pick Number

Johnny Gaudreau 160 143 0.89375 #104OA

Ryan Nugent-Hopkins 313 222 0.709265 #1OA

Gabriel Landeskog 356 246 0.691011 #2OA

Jonathan Huberdeau 272 172 0.632353 #3OA

Good example, but it shows how you need to hit on more than just a 1st rounder. We got lucky. Baertschi is an NHLer, but if using hindsight we could've drafted Kutcherov over Wotherspoon.

The Oilers haven't been able to build their team because they don't hit on their other picks.

We do occasionally. We still have a fairly bare team too. We're not far ahead of Edmonton. They've got maybe one less D in their depth than us.

Actually I like Gaudreau but how did he do in the playoffs? A little bit of a Houdini(disappearing act), wasn't it when things got a little rough?

Could you please tell me how the Oilers golden boys have done in the playoffs? Oh wait.

Johnny had 9 points in 11 games (.818 pts/game) during the playoffs. That's actually a higher pts/game than his regular season for that year (.800 pts/game). Hardly a disappearing act.

Good example, but it shows how you need to hit on more than just a 1st rounder. We got lucky. Baertschi is an NHLer, but if using hindsight we could've drafted Kutcherov over Wotherspoon.

The Oilers haven't been able to build their team because they don't hit on their other picks.

We do occasionally. We still have a fairly bare team too. We're not far ahead of Edmonton. They've got maybe one less D in their depth than us.

I just disagree that a team has to have a #1OA in order to win it all. I don't like tanking. Show some pride, not try to be the worst for the best odds.

Could you please tell me how the Oilers golden boys have done in the playoffs? Oh wait.

Johnny had 9 points in 11 games (.818 pts/game) during the playoffs. That's actually a higher pts/game than his regular season for that year (.800 pts/game). Hardly a disappearing act.

I just disagree that a team has to have a #1OA in order to win it all. I don't like tanking. Show some pride, not try to be the worst for the best odds.

Your right against Van he was good but against Anaheim a little bit heavier he was .6 gpg. Visually though in the Anaheim series he seemed to disapear. 

Your right against Van he was good but against Anaheim a little bit heavier he was .6 gpg. Visually though in the Anaheim series he seemed to disapear. 

Personally I think you are just trolling.

JH disappearing in a short series against one of the top teams in the NHL who also has one of the premier checking lines? You are welcome to your opinion but that is not how I saw it.

No sorry you have to give me something more than just "visually he seemed to disappear" ....

They had home ice advantage, and the ability to put out whatever line they wanted against our lines. One scoring line teams(like ours was) are much easier to keep in check even with our contributions from our D.

This thread isn't about the Flames and their deficiencies. It is about the Oilers who still have big holes to fill. Dissing the Flames won't help the Oilers one bit...... but it might make Oiler fans feel some weird form of satisfaction.

Bottom line is in the past decade and a bit, the Flames have had a much better team than the Oilers and have pretty much dominated them over that period. I don't see that changing anytime soon.

As for Oilers, I have said for a few years now they needed D and Goaltending. Still they continue to draft forwards and other than Drafting Nurse(I am uncertain if he is being ruined too) have not done much of anything to address this until this summer.

I expect even with losing Hall, that the Oilers will be more competitive. They did get Talbot which should give them close to league avg goaltending but they need him to stay healthy...

Adam Larsson is a nice #3 Defenceman who will fill in the Oilers top 2 nicely. He won't be the total answer on D though as he does not really have the upside for a Top Pairing D on most other teams except in the Oiler system.

I expect the Oilers to move up a couple of spots from the basement with the new digs as motivation, but only if McJesus & Talbot can stay healthy for a full season....

They are not ready to compete for a playoff spot with this roster and the Milan Lucic window will start to close about 3 years into his contract if not a bit sooner. He is already showing signs of slowing down having turned 28 recently.(3 year deal would have been much smarter.)

^^^^^

I think you points are spot on.  Larsson is on the upswing, but he was almost given up on by the coach a few seasons ago.  I also think he will be a good 2nd pairing guy, but will likely be given top pairing.  Beyond that they have Sekera, who is their top scoring D-man.  He was a -15 for the year and had 2g and 14a of his 6g and 24a scored on the PP.  After that they have Klefbom, who is searching for a skate to fit after a staph infection left him unable to wear skates without bleeding.  He is probably their best prospect on D right now.

Nurse should go back to the AHL and learn defense, the same way Brody did.  

As of now, the Oilers are going to have to score 3-4 goals per game to win.  Talbot is a fine goalie, but the defense isn't there yet.

Personally I think you are just trolling.

JH disappearing in a short series against one of the top teams in the NHL who also has one of the premier checking lines? You are welcome to your opinion but that is not how I saw it.

No sorry you have to give me something more than just "visually he seemed to disappear" ....

They had home ice advantage, and the ability to put out whatever line they wanted against our lines. One scoring line teams(like ours was) are much easier to keep in check even with our contributions from our D.

Personally I just think you only like what you want to hear. 

Face it the Flames suck, not as bad as the Oilers but almost.

As for JH you made my argument. Home team matchups shut him right down. 

And what are you talking about in 3 years Lucic will hurt the Oilers. Who cares things change the team filled needs, solid defense brought in and arguably the best power forward in the league.

And one more thing, the Flames dominated, right. Here and now you won 3 we won 2. Lets see what happens this year.

Personally I just think you only like what you want to hear. 

Face it the Flames suck, not as bad as the Oilers but almost.

No one sucks as bad as the Oilers. They are about to set an all-time record for sucking. 11 years in a row out of the playoffs is epic sucking. Don't fool yourself into thinking the Flames are " almost " as bad.... The overall record over the past 15 years of wins and losses against the Oilers tells the story..

As for JH you made my argument. Home team matchups shut him right down. 

Home team matchups has hurt JH in regular season too. It was no change in the playoffs like you are trying to say that he disappeared.. The whole line of Huds JH and Mony struggled in that series. JH can't do it alone and he can't perform without linemates playing well.

And what are you talking about in 3 years Lucic will hurt the Oilers. Who cares things change the team filled needs, solid defense brought in and arguably the best power forward in the league.

Lucic won't replace Halls points, he is bigger but much slower. He was a power forward but did you watch him in LA? Guess not.. his age is showing..

Answer me this if he is the best in the league how many all-star games has he been invited to? Umm errr.   

And one more thing, the Flames dominated, right. Here and now you won 3 we won 2. Lets see what happens this year.

Trolls like you always take a small sampling to try to prove their point. I said it before, the Flames have dominated the Oilers for well over the past 10 years.  lol 

and one more thing.. How many "lets see what happens this season" are you going to say this?? 

You sound like connorfuturegm..... 10 years no playoffs and counting.... 1 more all time record.... a feat no team has ever done before... forging new records... about to go down in history as the worst team ever.... EVER...... Ask KL he knows a thing or two about winning.

Archived