Louis23

Phoenix Arizona does not need Matthews, they are progressing just fine with their young prospects. They won't overpay for the asking price of whoever gets the #1 choice. He has almost 70% chance to be with a Canada lotto team. They all (except Oilers) NEED him too.

The league does not NEED Matthews in Arizona. There are many markets he would be just great in and help both Canadian and US markets.

Matthews in Toronto would sell like hotcakes.  The Nucks need him more than Toronto right now.  CBJ just gave up RJ for Jones, so they have a huge need too.

The Oilers are being run into the ground (NHL potential) by an owner that only cares about selling seats.  Hall, Nuge, Yak, McDavid are all about getting fans to shell out money for merchandise, seats, etc. as soon as they are legally allowed to play.  There is nothing in the design about what is best for the player.  It's all about money.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Phoenix Arizona does not need Matthews, they are progressing just fine with their young prospects. They won't overpay for the asking price of whoever gets the #1 choice. He has almost 70% chance to be with a Canada lotto team. They all (except Oilers) NEED him too.

The league does not NEED Matthews in Arizona. There are many markets he would be just great in and help both Canadian and US markets.

i agree most of the possible Lotto teams need him (except Edm), and for sure teams like WPG, CLB, TO etc will all keep him.

But No , they do need him in Arizona. The team can't sell tickets, Bettman especially went overboard to keep the team there.. we all know the story..  This kid is a home town hero, instant face of the franchise.. for Political reasons, Arizona has almost no choice but to go to all lengths to make it happen . You can bet the owners have already told Maloney this . If the teams ends up leaving , it will be a personal embarrassment to Bettman

I for one will not be surprised to see Arizona actually "win " the lottery just to make it happen

i agree most of the possible Lotto teams need him (except Edm), and for sure teams like WPG, CLB, TO etc will all keep him.

But No , they do need him in Arizona. The team can't sell tickets, Bettman especially went overboard to keep the team there.. we all know the story..  This kid is a home town hero, instant face of the franchise.. for Political reasons, Arizona has almost no choice but to go to all lengths to make it happen . You can bet the owners have already told Maloney this . If the teams ends up leaving , it will be a personal embarrassment to Bettman

I for one will not be surprised to see Arizona actually "win " the lottery just to make it happen

Why people still buy into this "hometown kid" stuff is amazing. It makes as much sense as thinking 3 random Finns, Swedes (pick a Euro country) would be a great line due to the fact an accident of birth gave them all the same nationality.

A winning team puts people in the seats. Trading OEL, Domi & the Arizona 1st rounder (7th OA) for 1 player moves a team that was doing well early/trending upwards down in both the short & long term. Since the 'Yotes are absolutely loaded with rookies/prospects I could see an offer of #7 (still a good pick likely) & a prospect if they really want Matthews.

My bet is, they'd need another pick in that deal to get Matthews. But it would be a 2nd or 3rd rounder or something like that. 

I see it as, something you'd have to trade to get someone like Iginla early in his career. Sure for us it was Niewendyk, but he was a proven winner and helped the Stars to a cup, so it was worth it. But Iginla at the beginning of his prime, what would it have taken for another team to get him? 

Why people still buy into this "hometown kid" stuff is amazing. It makes as much sense as thinking 3 random Finns, Swedes (pick a Euro country) would be a great line due to the fact an accident of birth gave them all the same nationality.

A winning team puts people in the seats. Trading OEL, Domi & the Arizona 1st rounder (7th OA) for 1 player moves a team that was doing well early/trending upwards down in both the short & long term. Since the 'Yotes are absolutely loaded with rookies/prospects I could see an offer of #7 (still a good pick likely) & a prospect if they really want Matthews.

no way that gets it done. We offered 3 1st round picks for McKinnon and got laughed at . Matthews is easily as good if not better than McKinnon 

I do agree with the overvaluing tho , just saying in this case.. theres a vested interest in getting him into Arizona from a league(Bettman) level 

I agree. You sell a heck of alot more tickets by winning then you do by having 1 player. The "hometown" kid would wear out by the end of the first season IMO if the team is still losing and it will be if you trade OEL. The Yotes blueline is pretty bad as it is. 

• 2 weeks later...

I woke up today with a proposal on my mind on how to handle the draft lotto so teams won't tank.

The 10 worst teams each get the lotto balls as follows:

last place team gets 10 lotto balls, 2nd last team gets 9 balls, 3rd worst team 8 and so forth until the 10th worst team gets 1 lotto ball.

Mix them up in the super duper mixer machine and start drawing but here is where the catch comes....

First draw is for 10th loto spot, 2nd draw is for 9th loto spot, 3rd draw is for 8th and so forth. Backwards draws until one team left who would get the top spot/pick..

So the last team would have the most balls in the draw which would give them the best odds of 10th overall drafting position.

I think this would be enough to stop teams deliberately trying to get best lotto odds because last place would not be best lotto odds for 1st overall place. Last place would give you best odds at 10th pick.

I woke up today with a proposal on my mind on how to handle the draft lotto so teams won't tank.

The 10 worst teams each get the lotto balls as follows:

last place team gets 10 lotto balls, 2nd last team gets 9 balls, 3rd worst team 8 and so forth until the 10th worst team gets 1 lotto ball.

Mix them up in the super duper mixer machine and start drawing but here is where the catch comes....

First draw is for 10th loto spot, 2nd draw is for 9th loto spot, 3rd draw is for 8th and so forth. Backwards draws until one team left who would get the top spot/pick..

So the last team would have the most balls in the draw which would give them the best odds of 10th overall drafting position.

I think this would be enough to stop teams deliberately trying to get best lotto odds because last place would not be best lotto odds for 1st overall place. Last place would give you best odds at 10th pick.

It seems like management of ditching teams have 0 balls as they have no confidence in former high picks, signed UFAs or the retained players.

I'm not speaking only of the Oilers when I say the league should find a way to limit the higher picks to non-playoff teams that are actually trying to improve & get to the playoffs in the near future. None of this top 5 picks until you have a great core & still fail.

"Winning" 1st OA after drafting 1st the previous year should mean #6 pick.  There are actually 14 teams that miss the playoffs every year. Of those some are trying to win.

It seems like management of ditching teams have 0 balls as they have no confidence in former high picks, signed UFAs or the retained players.

I'm not speaking only of the Oilers when I say the league should find a way to limit the higher picks to non-playoff teams that are actually trying to improve & get to the playoffs in the near future. None of this top 5 picks until you have a great core & still fail.

"Winning" 1st OA after drafting 1st the previous year should mean #6 pick. There are actually 14 teams that miss the playoffs every year. Of those some are trying to win.

One thing that idea might do is force a team like the Oilers who are in the running for a lotto pick every year to pick a different type of player than the dynamic forward in the top3 of the draft. Drafting further down, the oilers were forced to take Nurse who could end up a good D.

I still think the bottom of the league should get a top pick, but for a team like the Flames who play their way out of a great chance at 1st overall, they deserve the luck of the draw sometimes. But then, stars are born out of good drafting and luck in all rounds. Benn, Gaudreau, among others.

I knew they were gonna be bad, but THIS bad? Wow. Khabibulin was supposed to carry this team, and right now he wouldn't stop a beach ball. -24 differential this early in the season? WOW. Khabibulin's GGA is 4. I know they are promised to a bright future, but right now I'm having a hard enough time to watch Flames games, I wouldn't want to know how an Oiler fan can feel.. I guess the positive part is that they will draft Either Couturier or that Defenceman from Sweden..

5+ years later and they still suck.

and they didn't get this year's #1 OA (or even top 3).

Well if you go and peek at their draft thread you will find that this year they are just happy to be drafting ahead of Nucks and Flames.

That was the important theme from a few of their posters. So from this I can gather that things are so bad in Oiler land that they can only take pleasure in beating us in draft position... That is bad indeed.....

Who are the Oilers picking at 4th? Any Oiler fans want to shed some light on that?

My Oilers friends are

1. Chychrun

2. Tkachuk

They've been talking Chychrun since January. But that's just fans. If I were them, I'd take Chychrun, he's the next closest to NHL ready.

A lot of talk Dubois is close, but not from the skating I've seen.

I still believe Matthews and Chychrun are the most NHL ready, then Pulju, then Laine.

I'm assuming there's still Oiler fans to begin with. My bad. Lol

Maybe 4th overall for Hamonic then?

That's a joke right?  A NHL defenseman that plays in the top pairing for a draft pick?  Hamilton wasn't as established as a player and we still underpaid for him.

While the need for D is obvious in Edmonton, they need D now or in the next year or two, they don't need dmen 3 years from now. personally i dont' think any of the Dmen in this draft are going to be significant contributors in the next season or two so if you are the Oilers do you want to wait?

I agree that you are not getting Hamonic for 4th overal straight up you would need to add. however, I think you could get somewhere with talking to the Ducks. Its not likely the Ducks can keep both Vatenen and Linholm on the same blueline, unless they trade someone else, and the Ducks need help up front especially on the Left side. Something based around the 4th overall pick for Anaheim for Sami Vatenan is more plausible IMO than Hamonic. 

While the need for D is obvious in Edmonton, they need D now or in the next year or two, they don't need dmen 3 years from now. personally i dont' think any of the Dmen in this draft are going to be significant contributors in the next season or two so if you are the Oilers do you want to wait?

I agree that you are not getting Hamonic for 4th overal straight up you would need to add. however, I think you could get somewhere with talking to the Ducks. Its not likely the Ducks can keep both Vatenen and Linholm on the same blueline, unless they trade someone else, and the Ducks need help up front especially on the Left side. Something based around the 4th overall pick for Anaheim for Sami Vatenan is more plausible IMO than Hamonic. 

Even that is a bit of an underpayment.  Eberle would be a fairer trade, but they don't want $6m coming back.  Nuge could be their #3 center, but again too much coin.  The other thing to note is that Vatenen is a smaller puck mover, while Lindholm is a LHS.  They have no RHS's to speak of.

IMHO, they have to find something that uses Nuge or Eberle ++ to get a RHS D-man.  Don't think it works for NYI, but it may work for a team like Carolina (Faulk).  

Hamonic waited until the off season for a trade. The Islanders no longer have the upper hand. They have to take the best deal. A 4th overall is a very fair trade.

People keep forgetting, it was a request not a demand. The islanders agreed to accommodate him when possible. Nobody is pressuring anybody..the Islanders still own the advantage.they will trade him when, and if, they get the right deal

I'll float an idea. The 4th OA for Trouba & the Jets take LD Chychrun to balance out their top 4.

By the time the Finn they add @ #2 & Kyle Connor are up to speed so should Chychrun & Morrissey.

Archived