Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I couldn't get the Flames feed yesterday so I watched the Oilers game and saw the McDavid crash.  Scary to see any player fall full speed and head first into the boards.  Luckily he fell far enough away from the boards that he had time to brace for impact or else it could've been a lot worse.

Other than McDavid, I think Draisaitl played very well.  He's probably here to stay on a permanent basis, especially with McDavid out long term.  I think with the puck, Draisaitl isn't that exciting of a player but without the puck, he does all the little things right.  He kind of reminds me of Olli Jokinen when Jokinen was in his prime with the Flames.

Really sucks. I hate the Oilers and still hate that they "won" McDavid but as a fan of the game McDavid was just starting to become on of its most exciting players and future star and it sucks this happens just as I felt he was breaking out. Very dissapointing for the game and I did take him in a Fantasy pool so now i'm in trouble there too....

Really sucks. I hate the Oilers and still hate that they "won" McDavid but as a fan of the game McDavid was just starting to become on of its most exciting players and future star and it sucks this happens just as I felt he was breaking out. Very dissapointing for the game and I did take him in a Fantasy pool so now i'm in trouble there too....

I know what you mean.  As a fan of the game, we all want McDavid to do well to help sell the game.  He looks like he is on his way to becoming one of the most exciting players in his age group.  An injury like this is a set back for his development.

I know what you mean.  As a fan of the game, we all want McDavid to do well to help sell the game.  He looks like he is on his way to becoming one of the most exciting players in his age group.  An injury like this is a set back for his development.

I start to wonder about the Oiler's development of young players.  Every one (except Yak) of their 1st OA has been sidelined with a serious injury early in their careers.  Nuge and McDavid play a similar speed game.  Is this just a case of similar freak accidents or an example of putting your best assets in harm's way by not sheltering them the first year?

I start to wonder about the Oiler's development of young players.  Every one (except Yak) of their 1st OA has been sidelined with a serious injury early in their careers.  Nuge and McDavid play a similar speed game.  Is this just a case of similar freak accidents or an example of putting your best assets in harm's way by not sheltering them the first year?

Well to be fair, which current superstar hasn't sustained a major injury whether they were rushed into the NHL or not?

Crosby - concussions

Malkin - concussions

P.Kane - shoulder

Stamkos - broken leg

Tavares - knee

Seguin - knee

Hedman - concussion

Landeskog - concussion

E.Karlsson - sliced leg

All the Oilers first rounders

etc, etc...

Outside of Ovechkin, Doughty, Subban,... there are more superstars in the NHL that have sustained serious injuries than not.

Well to be fair, which current superstar hasn't sustained a major injury whether they were rushed into the NHL or not?

Crosby - concussions

Malkin - concussions

P.Kane - shoulder

Stamkos - broken leg

Tavares - knee

Seguin - knee

Hedman - concussion

Landeskog - concussion

E.Karlsson - sliced leg

etc, etc...

Outside of Ovechkin, Doughty, Subban,... there are more superstars in the NHL that have sustained serious injuries than not.

ya but only the oilers first overall picks have suffered big injuries in the first season. I was listening to them talk about it on the radio today about how oilers first overall picks are the only ones to be injured in their first season other then erik johnson in colorado. Its kinda crazy weird.

Crosby - concussions

Malkin - concussions

P.Kane - shoulder

Stamkos - broken leg

Tavares - knee

Seguin - knee

Hedman - concussion

Landeskog - concussion

E.Karlsson - sliced leg

etc, etc...

I know that all players get injured.  The point was that 3/4 Oilers 1st OA suffered a major injury out of junior.  Not all teams play their 1st rounders that soon.  Ekblad didn't have that issue, nor did Yak, but 3/6 of the 1st overall in the past 6 years have in their 1st season.

Called it awhile back. The kid is slight he still hasn't developed. His skill level is there but not his body. Not sure anyone gets up with out injury from catching an edge and two guys skidding with you into the boards. Tough break but such is the life of an Oiler prospect.

Hard to take a look at the macros side of injuries and draw conclusions that rushing them led to injuries. Every circumstance is different.

McDavid - thats just a fluke play. Could have happened to anywhere whether they were game 1, 12, or a 10 year vet. Those type of injuries happen. McDavid by all accounts is in great shape and certainly looks it so i'm not sure pointing at his strenght or anything when he broke a bone is fair.

Nugent Hopkins - This one I will give you, they put him in the NHL too early when his body and game wasn't ready for it. I think putting him in did contribue to some injuries.

Hall - Thats the style he plays, he is reckless and unfortuantely reckless style = more likely to get hurt. Remember, Hall had 3 full seasons in Junior so he was definetly not rushed and if he was then you would have to say the Flames rushed Monahan. They took a player that had a negative to his game and that negative happens to equal getting hurt more frequently.

So yes 3/4 have gotten hurt but IMO only 1 was because he was thrown in too early so not fair to point to a development issue with players getting hurt.

McDavid is fairly strong, but Crosby had wicked leg strength.    

Yup.

I blame this on the Oilers.  Again.

First of all, McDavid fell.  Period.

It's extremely clear, watching the video, that McDavid lost his edge.   Not entirely on his own, but 95% on his own.

http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/oilers-down-flyers-lose-mcdavid-to-injury/

I don't know why the media is going on about "freak accident", or Cherry's going conspiracy.

So with 100 seconds to go before the Zambonis go out to temporarily restore some ice that probably should have been repaired earlier, McDavid loses an edge right at the goal mouth and the roughest spot anywhere out there.

In the three games before that, McDavid was over-played at a whopping 20+ minutes per game.

Sure, he's special.  Special enough even, to get time on the first line.  But did he need to be playing 20+ minutes a game?  Did he need to be out that long?  Did he have Crosby's strength?  Or even Monahan's strength?  He surely did not.

If this was the first, or second, or even Third time the Oilers injured their first round pick or otherwise ruined their development, I think we could all say accidents happen.

But of all teams, how have the Oilers not learned even the tiniest bit of moderation or caution with players this vulnerable, and this valuable?

Honestly.

McDavid is fairly strong, but Crosby had wicked leg strength.    

Yes Crosby's calves was and are like Oak trunks where you can build a franchise on lol. McBroken's are sapling size but he is still growing and is working on it as seen in the McBroken meets Messier commercials by Rogers.

Please come back Connor! I for one don't want the Oilers to get the 1st OA pick again this year.

Yes Crosby's calves was and are like Oak trunks where you can build a franchise on lol. McBroken's are sapling size but he is still growing and is working on it as seen in the McBroken meets Messier commercials by Rogers.

Please come back Connor! I for one don't want the Oilers to get the 1st OA pick again this year.

As long as the Oilers finish 4th, they won't likely get Mathews.  1st-3rd are lotto picks, so their time is done.  

Unlike other seasons, the coach won't accept being a bottom 3 team.  After McJezus returns, they will start to be competitive again. Too late to get in the playoffs, but not bad enough to get a lotto pick.  Chia is not going to sell the farm to tank.  He wants to be seen as a respectable GM.

So......the big question now:

Do the Oilers let McDavid heal properly and ease him back in?

Or, do they gamble and bring him back too early?

Any other team, it wouldn't even be a question.  But with the Oilers...I think it is.

I think the GM will hold him back as long as prudent.  There was no real question about him playing this year, but the minutes were ridiculous for a 1st year pro.  I believe that Chia will demand that the coach ease him back in.  What do I know though.

McDavid won't be cleared to return for another 2 months.  By that time, the Oilers should be sitting last place in the Conference, again.  No need to rush him back at that time.  They will go into the draft lottery with the best odds for Auston Matthews.  And they will win the lottery again.  You just know it... 

Draisaitl - McDavid - Matthews

Hall - RNH - Eberle

x: Yakupov

McDavid won't be cleared to return for another 2 months.  By that time, the Oilers should be sitting last place in the Conference, again.  No need to rush him back at that time.  They will go into the draft lottery with the best odds for Auston Matthews.  And they will win the lottery again.  You just know it... 

Draisaitl - McDavid - Matthews

Hall - RNH - Eberle

x: Yakupov

Their coach will be in the "win" mode until April, regardless of where they sit.  Chia will be trying to improve the team between now and then, likely trading Yak or Eberle (or Nuge if Draisaitl is able to take the center spot).  Anything less than a drastic improvement by the Oilers is a firing offense.  The addition of a rookie sensation shouldn't be a reason for improvement, nor an excuse if he is injured.  This team went out and got a new front office and a complete new coaching staff.

Archived