Louis23

Draft lottery somewhat overhauled. These changes will hopefully eliminate the tanking for a 1st overall pick.

Theoretically it would be possible in 2016 for the worst 3 teams to pick 4th-6th.

By posting this I am not insinuating the Oilers are tanking in any shape or form.

Maybe they are just bad and it can't be helped. The old I've fallen & can't get up syndrome.

Thanks for that Pyro, I guess it's better than nothing.  I'd rather have every team that didn't make the playoffs given the same odds and hold a lottery for all 14 picks.  That would completely eliminate any incentive to tank.  I know it won't happen, but it would be nice to see.  

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Not the best press conference for MacT.  He was stumbling over his words.  As far as the meaning behind the press conference, it really served no purpose.  When you come out and your first statement is "this isn't going to appease anyone", then it's meaningless.  A bit of a history lesson on his hiring, what they have in the system, and what the scoresheet reads, nothing everyone already knows and info that isn't already accessible. 

Passing of the buck, passing of the blame, no bold moves imminent, etc.  Mind you, with the vultures swarming overhead, how is the guy supposed to make a reasonable NHL deal?

Opening the floor to questions was a shooting gallery.  When will he and the rest of the front of house ever learn?

There was no reason to call a press conference today following a third period melt down, again. Especially, if it was to announce that everything is okay.

So that said, the press conference today basically hints to everyone in the NHL that they are staying status quo and heading straight for McDavid.

I keep picturing Burke doing that conference. It would have went something like.

"We believe in our core. They are young and they are developing. We are happy with the progress they are making and believe they will be impact players in the future. We believe in our coach. The message is getting through to the players and they believe in this coaching staff.

I am the GM. It is my responsibility to surround our young guys with the right type of players. To this point I have failed to do that. But we are looking at every option available to us.

This is taking longer then we our fans want it to take. But we are not going to start over again. We believe this group will get there. Trading core players or replacing the coaches will set us back.

I am not saying we won't have to make some core changes in the future. When you are the last place team in the NHL you have to be open to all options. We are open to all options. And we aren't letting our players and coaches off the hook. They know they need to be better and we expect they will be better.

But we aren't going to make a knee jerk reaction to make significant change for the sake of change. We are still focused on the long term plan of building a perennial cup contending team. Our fans deserve that."

I don't really believe any of that because I think their core and coaching and management is all rotten. But MacTavish did a horrible job of delivering the message.

I think the worst part, is once again they made some stupid off season moves, and then seem to think that these moves will fix their hockey club. Im well aware that they werent a first pick by any player for free agency, and that they are just grasping for answers. But, at this point its time they make a trade to shake up the club and stop making excuses. In all honesty its not like if they tank this year and add connor mcdavid or jack eichel in the summer time its gunna magically turn the team around. If they traded jordan eberle, what is a reasonable return? or neil yakupov? the last team I know that was this bad was the penguins team that drafted mario lemieux, can anyone think of another one? Im not even gunna mention if I was the oilers owner MacT and Lowe would be gone, this whole running the team into the ground thing is disgusting.

Visually we're a better hockey team, and I think our most ardent detractors would have to admit that we are a better hockey team visually. But there isn't any tangible evidence of any of that improvement, and that's what so difficult for everybody to swallow. In particular, the fans, the faithful fans that flock to Rexall [Place] night in and night out to see some material evidence of improvement. There just hasn't been that level of improvementCraig McTavish - State of the Franchise 14-12-05

Visually we're a worse hockey team, and I think our most ardent supporters would have to admit that we are a worse hockey team visually. But there isn't any tangible evidence of any of that declination, and that's what so difficult for everybody to swallow. In particular, the fans, the unfaithful fans that flock to the Saddledome night in and night out to see some material evidence of declination. There just hasn't been that level of declination.  Bob Hartley [Hypothetical]

I just listened to the Oilers TV MaTavish  1 on 1(http://video.oilers.nhl.com/videocenter/).

I think the biggest difference between the Flames and the Oilers "rebuild" is the patience with the prospects, but the clear goal of being a playoff team right away. Hardley said from the beginning that the rebuild will not be used as an excuse for not reaching the playoffs.

MaxTavish defines the goaql to dominate the NHL for decades (there is no building to dominate!), but there is no time line from when on they want to dominate(now, next season, 10 years from now).

I believe you cannot build a team to totally dominate the NHL, especially with the salary cap.

They need to sign Yakupov, Schultz(?)

Then they want to have McDavid/Eichel..., Sooner or later they need to sign Draisaitl

Meaning 7 times 6 Million (Oilers logic): 48 Million. Except McDavid or Eichel for sure wants to have more than 6M per Year pretty early.

24 Million left for 13 Players.... (If the cap goes up) so there will not be a supportive cast of players.

In Germany we call something like that "Milchmädchenrechnung" (naive fallacy) = You are dreaming of success before you even have done the first step.

Craig Mactavish says they've drafted only one NHLer outside the first round who is decent, Jeff Petry.  This must improve.  Obviously.  The Flames, on the other hand, have been able to produce solid utility guys from their mid-round picks.  On top of that, Brodie and Gaudreau look like home runs.

Plain and simple, drafting in the top 4 continually is a viable rebuild ONLY if accompanied by solid drafting and development of second round picks and later.

Craig Mactavish says they've drafted only one NHLer outside the first round who is decent, Jeff Petry. This must improve. Obviously. The Flames, on the other hand, have been able to produce solid utility guys from their mid-round picks. On top of that, Brodie and Gaudreau look like home runs.

Plain and simple, drafting in the top 4 continually is a viable rebuild ONLY if accompanied by solid drafting and development of second round picks and later.

Agreed.

You need to draft the right guy in the top. If the Oilers literaly drafted the next guy they would have Seguin, Landeskog, Murray, and Bennett instead of Hall, RNH, Yakupov, and Draisaitl. I like the culture of the first group much better.

The Oiler's haven't drafted well outside of their top 10 picks.

The Oiler's rush their players and generally fail at development.

The Oiler's fail to surround the kids with the right type of veterans. In fact they completely fail to leverage free agency or trade to build their team.

Plus they select the wrong coaching and management staff.

The ONLY things the Oilers have done right is pick high, and that could arguably have been done better (I am still shocked at Yakupov being picked).

It is such a failed team. The only thing surprising is how surprised many of us are every season when it turns out they are still bad.

Watching the taliking heads this morning and they are all preaching TANK for the OIler's. I sounded off on this in a different thread. The Oilers have picked in the top 4 I believe every year for the past 5 years, so has FLA.

Both clubs should immediately be placed in a 15 th, 14th position in the draft. When clubs that draft that high can not advance even marginally in the standings, they should no longer be allowed the best of the draft. It so apparently obvious each club could not organize a 2 float parade and top draft choices are not the answers.

Watching the taliking heads this morning and they are all preaching TANK for the OIler's. I sounded off on this in a different thread. The Oilers have picked in the top 4 I believe every year for the past 5 years, so has FLA.

Both clubs should immediately be placed in a 15 th, 14th position in the draft. When clubs that draft that high can not advance even marginally in the standings, they should no longer be allowed the best of the draft. It so apparently obvious each club could not organize a 2 float parade and top draft choices are not the answers.

I still say they hold a winner take all for the 30th and 29th team but let the coaches and GM play :)

Big stink in Oiler land about MacT saying(in his speech) he only had been in charge of the Oilers for 18 months, when the truth is he has been for close to 30 months.

Not only that but he followed up the news conference with a interview the following day with what appears to be an in-house scripted interview in an attempt to divert the flack from the previous day.... sigh..

no wonder the Oilers are in big trouble and the Old Gang Oiler nepotism runs deep in this organization.

It’s funny, you look around the league and contemplate the lame reasons why some coaches and GM’s have been fired over the years……………then you look at EDM and see the same “card board cut outs” still in charge year after year, with zero results.  I wonder if Lowe's phone is even plugged into the wall?  I wonder if MacT even has one?  Is the so called Katz for real or just make belief?

They should hire Garth Snow as Pres, McLean as Gm and Torts as the coach. 

Then watch the fireworks!  :lol:

Lets be honest, as hilarious as that would be, that might actually make the Oilers a better team. I am tired of Oilers getting top 3 picks and the Battle of Alberta not really meaning anything.

TL:DR I am in favor of that

Archived