Louis23

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
  • 1 month later...

I'd be remiss to not post yesterday's comment from Smid here:

“When I came here from Edmonton, and nothing against Edmonton, but the practices here are just on a different level. It’s like a game. It’s getting you ready for the game and it’s not as big of a transition from practice to game.”

You go Laddy!

I'd be remiss to not post yesterday's comment from Smid here:

“When I came here from Edmonton, and nothing against Edmonton, but the practices here are just on a different level. It’s like a game. It’s getting you ready for the game and it’s not as big of a transition from practice to game.”

You go Laddy!

This has been a bit of a peeve of mine for years.  Practice for the team seems so slack.  I remember complaining aout this even back when MacTavish was the coach.  I believe it at least partly responsible for why the team always seemed so gassed by the time the third rolled around.  So many times they lost a lead in the third and thus the game because the other team had more gas in the tank.  I just hope under Eakins things have changed.

This has been a bit of a peeve of mine for years.  Practice for the team seems so slack.  I remember complaining aout this even back when MacTavish was the coach.  I believe it at least partly responsible for why the team always seemed so gassed by the time the third rolled around.  So many times they lost a lead in the third and thus the game because the other team had more gas in the tank.  I just hope under Eakins things have changed.

Mike Keenan mentioned this same thing many times when he was coachin here. He said you can't expect the players to execute stuff at game speed, if you do not practice at game speed.

I don't know much about DE but I have read he rarely even attends / runs practice on game day rather on occasion he sits in stands..... Does not sound like a coach committed to excelling.

Mike Keenan mentioned this same thing many times when he was coachin here. He said you can't expect the players to execute stuff at game speed, if you do not practice at game speed.

I don't know much about DE but I have read he rarely even attends / runs practice on game day rather on occasion he sits in stands..... Does not sound like a coach committed to excelling.

I disagree with you on this one, DD.

On a game-day practice, you're not going to be introducing anything new, and you've (hopefully) had the time between games to go over new things or hammer home points that need fixing.  By the time the game-day practice rolls around, it *should* be so routine for everyone that the assistant coaches can run the game-day practice, while the head coach can observe the execution from a distance (very beneficial to see things, literally, from a different perspective) to see who's "got it" and who doesn't, which allows the head coach to make decisions on the bench during game time.

I disagree with you on this one, DD.

On a game-day practice, you're not going to be introducing anything new, and you've (hopefully) had the time between games to go over new things or hammer home points that need fixing.  By the time the game-day practice rolls around, it *should* be so routine for everyone that the assistant coaches can run the game-day practice, while the head coach can observe the execution from a distance (very beneficial to see things, literally, from a different perspective) to see who's "got it" and who doesn't, which allows the head coach to make decisions on the bench during game time.

Well maybe I misunderstood him but his point was that if you don't practice at game speed then it is more difficult to execute at game speed during the games. Bob Hartley has said the same thing a couple of times. 

So I get your point about game day, but if they (Oilers) don't practice at game speed it does not matter what they do for game day practice ....... and DE magically disappearing or reappearing for game day practice won't help much either in that regard.

My point about DE and not showing for or running the game morning practices was, it does not show the players a lot of dedication... It is a "do as I say not a do as I do" attitude that will filter down to the players....

totally unfiar to say that though DD.  He may not be on the ice, but he will be in the stands.  In either case he sets the pace for practice, either by doing it first hand on the ice or directing his assistant coaches to do so while he assesses from the rafters. 

Now, whether or not he in fact sets that pace for game speed or coast mode is definitely in question.

Yes, unfair DD.  If you were the coach of the Oilers, how closely would you want to be associated with what's happening on the ice?

Personally, I would coach via Skype.   Maybe letter mail.

I think what the Oilers really need is a rebuild...

Really good point JJ..... 

I can see DE stocking up on "stamps" then if the Oilers start the season anywhere near last years performance.

They have been "mailing it in" for a long time now despite all the coaches and shuffles.

Edmonton Oilers contract with Vladimir Tkachev rejected; they may not be able to sign him

Source: Edmonton Journal - Cult of Hockey
Date: 2014-10-01

Tuesday morning was pretty decent for the Edmonton Oilers. The team got an entry-level deal done with the highly-talented Vladimir Tkachev, which meant that they were going to be able to add the 18-year-old to their prospect pool without spending a pick to acquire him. But then this happened: Initially, it seemed possible that the Oilers had slipped up on some technicality, that Tkachev was eligible to be signed and that there must be a minor problem with his contract. However, further study reveals that he may not be eligible for a contract – in fact, never was eligible for a contract – because he spent part of last season in Russia. This is what happened a year ago to Nathan W

Edmonton Oilers contract with Vladimir Tkachev rejected; they may not be able to sign him

Source: Edmonton Journal - Cult of Hockey

Date: 2014-10-01

Tuesday morning was pretty decent for the Edmonton Oilers. The team got an entry-level deal done with the highly-talented Vladimir Tkachev, which meant that they were going to be able to add the 18-year-old to their prospect pool without spending a pick to acquire him. But then this happened: Initially, it seemed possible that the Oilers had slipped up on some technicality, that Tkachev was eligible to be signed and that there must be a minor problem with his contract. However, further study reveals that he may not be eligible for a contract – in fact, never was eligible for a contract – because he spent part of last season in Russia. This is what happened a year ago to Nathan W

So they have to beat other teams to draft him 1st.

He's a smurf but was as impressive as Gaudreau & Elhers in the games I saw all 3 play

If available 2nd round I'd do it.

Major tears in Oil Country tonight.  They were touting him as "Vladdy Hockey".

Mini-smurf.  Lots of pre-season talent.  He is 2-3 years away from the NHL, if he can crack it.  Petan is another small guy, who has much better numbers than Vladdy, but I was hesitant to pick him.  Not every small guy is a St.Louis or Fleury.

Major tears in Oil Country tonight.  They were touting him as "Vladdy Hockey".

Mini-smurf.  Lots of pre-season talent.  He is 2-3 years away from the NHL, if he can crack it.  Petan is another small guy, who has much better numbers than Vladdy, but I was hesitant to pick him.  Not every small guy is a St.Louis or Fleury.

It's just so unbelievably consistent how they bungle and mismanage.....everything.

I feel for the fans.

Archived