Dan Ryder - Take II

Can we develop him to the point of being marketable to trade him away to recover the 2nd or 3rd round picks that we are down for next year? Boston maybe?
Why does sutter continue to trade away 2nd round picks evey year and then he will trade down in the first round to get a second rounder. The higher the pick in the first round is normaly a better player.Calgary scouting staff is the Gary Leemans anyways.

He also said that Prust would have to have a brutal camp not to make the Flames this year.

Great :rolleyes:

The moment he starts taking stupid penalties I hope he is benched. One thing we cannot have like last year is retarded penalties. Something Prust, Conroy, Sarich and Phaneuf all bring to the game.

Why does sutter continue to trade away 2nd round picks evey year and then he will trade down in the first round to get a second rounder. The higher the pick in the first round is normaly a better player.Calgary scouting staff is the Gary Leemans anyways.

Pelech, Boyd, Moss, Prust, Parody, Aulie, Negrin, Backlund, Phaneuf, McE, etc are all either very close or NHL bound. Many of them were not first round picks. Other than Chucko, sutter's had good success in the first round. Of course I left out Irving who is considered to be one of the top 5 or so goalie prospects not in the NHL.

And those 2nd also turned into Kipper, Tanguay, and Nilson. Nilson deosnt' sound liek much but you likely don't get a big cup run without Nilson. That line was instrumental. Other than the Conroy trade, Sutter has got good return in trading his 2nd rounders.

Pelech, Boyd, Moss, Prust, Parody, Aulie, Negrin, Backlund, Phaneuf, McE, etc are all either very close or NHL bound. Many of them were not first round picks. Other than Chucko, sutter's had good success in the first round. Of course I left out Irving who is considered to be one of the top 5 or so goalie prospects not in the NHL.

And those 2nd also turned into Kipper, Tanguay, and Nilson. Nilson deosnt' sound liek much but you likely don't get a big cup run without Nilson. That line was instrumental. Other than the Conroy trade, Sutter has got good return in trading his 2nd rounders.

I would even say include the Conroy trade as well. On ice, his offensive game has slipped a bit but his defensive skills and faceoffs are still solid (I did not say great--just solid). He takes over Yelle's position nicely. And, the intangibles of his, such as his like-ability, desire to be here, friendship with Iggy (and everyone else), and great sound bites mean a great deal as well.

Back on topic of Dan Ryder...I hope he gets his Gary Leeman together and finds his desire to play. He could be a solid prospect for us in the near future. It's always a shame when you hear of someone with all the talent but no heart. I hope that is no longer the case with Ryder.

So this Ryder, how good is/can he be?

Can't say I'm very up to date on the string of events that have led to the current situation, so if anyone would like to fill me in I would be grateful.

Ryder was looking to be possibly better than his brother, he had loads of talent, and then he decided to take some time off from hockey. It's somewhat of a mystery why, but it's good to hear that he's back. If he picks up where he left off, I could see him making the team, not this year, but next.

http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/daniel_ryder''>http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/daniel_ryder' target="_blank">http://www.hockeysfuture.com/prospects/daniel_ryder[/post]

Its pretty unfair to lay blame to the scouting, especially on Sutter. Man Zetterberg was a rookie in like 03/04 it take 4 or 5 years sometimes for a prospect to develop. Not every player can jump straight into the fire and make a difference.

Personally so far Sutter has done a way better job resurrecting our scouting/drafting/developing than previous management has. Its the way of the future, and Sutter has seemingly bought into that idea. In 2 years, or possibly this year as trial by fire, you will see Sutter's draftees finally start to make a difference and tell the real tale of the Sutter dynasty.

My biggest concern with Dan Ryder is his physical conditioning. Was he constantly on the bikes and treadmills during his down time? Did he stay in shape? Has he developed more strength and muscles? I have a feeling he's going to have to start things over again from the beginning and is now a full year or two away from being NHL ready.

Great :rolleyes:

The moment he starts taking stupid penalties I hope he is benched. One thing we cannot have like last year is retarded penalties. Something Prust, Conroy, Sarich and Phaneuf all bring to the game.

wow, that sounds like pouting to me. Penalties are part of the game, live with it.

Its pretty unfair to lay blame to the scouting, especially on Sutter. Man Zetterberg was a rookie in like 03/04 it take 4 or 5 years sometimes for a prospect to develop. Not every player can jump straight into the fire and make a difference.

Personally so far Sutter has done a way better job resurrecting our scouting/drafting/developing than previous management has. Its the way of the future, and Sutter has seemingly bought into that idea. In 2 years, or possibly this year as trial by fire, you will see Sutter's draftees finally start to make a difference and tell the real tale of the Sutter dynasty.

Absolutely correct sir.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
Just watching Sportsnet they interviewed Dan. He said he was glad to be back and see his friends. He also claimed to be working hard at a roster spot.

The announcer said he was looking good on the ice.

good now maybe we can trade his a$$. if hundreds of thousands of dollars can't motivate him to play when hes young nothing will ever motivate him period, he will be lazy like his brother but with less talent, he will never put up big numbers

good now maybe we can trade his a$$. if hundreds of thousands of dollars can't motivate him to play when hes young nothing will ever motivate him period, he will be lazy like his brother but with less talent, he will never put up big numbers

Do you have ANY clue WHY he stopped playing for a year? It wasn't matter of money, it was a matter of personal drive and being worn out from playing hockey almost 24/7. This kid played more hockey than alot of NHL players, and had worse travel conditions to boot. He played two full seasons of going far in the in playoffs and just needed time off from hockey.

Archived