24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If Gridin plays in the AHL next year, but not the NHL does his ELC still slide? I am of the opinion that junior is probably the best route for him as well. 

Looks like they are going to try these lines to start the season:

Kuzmenko-Kadri-Sharangovich

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Huberdeau-Pospisil-Mantha

Lomberg-Rooney-Duehr

Interesting lines.  Two guys that prefer RW with Kadri.

Zary with Backs.  Teach him C I guess?

Pospisil up the middle makes a lot of sense.  

Interested to see what Mantha does this year.

I can't say I love the 4th line.  

Lomberg the buzzsaw with Rooney?

I think it would be a hoot to have a line of Lomberg-Klapka-Stromgren.

Make it hard on whomever they play against.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

If Gridin plays in the AHL next year, but not the NHL does his ELC still slide? I am of the opinion that junior is probably the best route for him as well. 

The NHL slide rule seems to specify 10 games in the NHL before his contract wouldn't slide.  I couldn't find a reference to AHL.  I guess that makes sense since 9 times out of 10 it's CHL players that the slide applies to.  

I saw this in an article that quotes the section but also has an example of a player going to the AHL:

In the event a player who is signed to an entry-level contract and is 18 or 19 years old (on September 15th) does not play in a minimum of 10 NHL games in the first season of their ELC then their contract is considered to ‘slide’, or extend, by one year.

Yamamoto turns 20 on September 29th, but since he is only 19 years of age on September 15th he qualifies for the slide rule. AHL games do not count in the slide rule. If he plays ten NHL games (regular or playoffs) then his contract will kick in, but if not it will slide to next season.

9 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Looks like they are going to try these lines to start the season:

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Duehr

Yes it does. Where you play isn't relevant just so long as you don't go past the 10 NHL games. 

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

What confuses me, is his AHL contract. Would the Wranglers need to sign him to a contract?

No. ELC are standard two way deals so they cover the AHL if a player is assigned there. If Gridin were to play in the AHL he would do so under his ELC it would just slide as if he were in junior. 

• Thanks 1

39 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Nicer area...waaay easier to get to.

Those are my positives...

Less ski bunnies.

Halfway between QC and MTL.  

Too bad he ended up in the Q; not my fave league unless it's the East Coast.

Could be worse, like being stuck in PEI in the winter.

Seeing as there is a schooling component in the Q, which would be French language, I am a little concerned about this destination.  He does need schooling, but maybe the 3rd language makes it much harder for him as a person.  Just my thoughts.  Beginning to wonder if they want to develop him in the AHL.  And if that makes sense.  

So the narrative this year after removing so many players was to " give the young guys a chance". When you look at the roster outside of Wolf, who are guys like Corronato, Pelletier, going to replace on the roster? On D  Barrie comes in on a PTO, all he has to do is have steady camp.  There is no room for the young guys

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Duehr

Weegar Bahl

Anderson Barrie

Bean Miromanov 

Pachal 

3 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

So the narrative this year after removing so many players was to " give the young guys a chance". When you look at the roster outside of Wolf, who are guys like Corronato, Pelletier, going to replace on the roster? On D  Barrie comes in on a PTO, all he has to do is have steady camp.  There is no room for the young guys

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Duehr

Weegar Bahl

Anderson Barrie

Bean Miromanov 

Pachal 

Young guys.....

Bahl, Pachal, Zary, Pospisil, Sharky.

Yeah I get your concern.  I would suggest that Duehr and Rooney and Barrie are not givens on this team.  Solo is likely on the roster.  They signed him to 2 years and like his play.  Pelletier is likely a 14th F unless he cements a top 12 spot.  Coronato can make the team but again has to earn top 12.  He can be a waiver exempt move to allow time for waiving another player.  But if he makes the case, then the Flames waive Rooney or Duehr.  Barrie is a PTO, so doesn't have to be opening night roster.  Would Rooney or Duehr even be a loss?  They have both had uneven play.  Neither were as a result of a trade and neither are must haves for this team.

Barrie is more depth for a team that has little NHL experience.  Weegar and Ras are vets, but that's about it.  Miromanov has 49 NHL games.  Bean really only has 2 full seasons.  Bahl has the equivalent of 2 seasons. 

I would say, what have Pelletier and Coronato done to earn a spot so far. Pelletier had a really rough year last year and still needs to show he can handle the grind of the pro game. 

Coronato needs to come into camp and show that his skating has improved enough that he is capable of playing in the NHL.

Kuzmenko, Mantha and Barrie (if he gets a contract) would all be players that they look to sell at the deadline. 

Things change quickly, did anyone see Zary or Pospisil coming up and having the impact that they did this time last year?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Less ski bunnies.

Cross-country or snowshoeing? lol

Val'D-Or is waaay up there in the flatlands (for this region). Ottawa is considered northerly Ontario. Add about 400kms north to Val'D-Or.

Source: I used to do Northern Quebec mill shutdowns. I don't speak a lick of french.lol

People were awesome regardless of the language barrier. Really fun experience, outside of the price-gouging. Though that was understandable.

1 hour ago, tmac70 said:

Zary-Backlund-Coleman

Lomberg-Rooney-Duehr

Weegar Bahl

Anderson Barrie

Bean Miromanov 

Pachal 

There is no room for the young guys YET.

52 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Cross-country or snowshoeing? lol

Val'D-Or is waaay up there in the flatlands (for this region). Ottawa is considered northerly Ontario. Add about 400kms north to Val'D-Or.

Source: I used to do Northern Quebec mill shutdowns. I don't speak a lick of french.lol

People were awesome regardless of the language barrier. Really fun experience, outside of the price-gouging. Though that was understandable.

I never had issues in Quebec not knowing French.  One time (a long time ago) I was driving back from Ontario to the Maritimes and I was camping overnight near Victoriaville.  A bottle exploded in my hand leaving a deep gash.  I went to the office and someone there drove me to the closest ER.  We must have driven close to 90 on back roads, but the staff there treated me well.  The biggest issue was doing paperwork.  The chap that drovve me there waited and returned me to the campgrounds.

Montreal is pretty much multi-linguistic.  Q City and Trois Riviere are a little more French only but that was years ago.  Never really had issues. 

But that is me, English first.  I don't know how a young guy that speaks Russian and played in the US responds.  If there is school involved, well maybe it's a good thing, but I get the sense that he is less comfortable outside his native tongue.    

I'm going down to Seattle this weekend.

Was hoping to catch a glimpse of Landon Dupont and the Everett Silvertips. Not in the cards, but Flames and Kraken on Sunday night suits me fine. 6 dollars for the ticket, ends up being 20 thanks to "ticket fees" lol. Looking forward to seeing what a presumably young Flames team can do against a likely veteran Kraken squad.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm going down to Seattle this weekend.

Was hoping to catch a glimpse of Landon Dupont and the Everett Silvertips. Not in the cards, but Flames and Kraken on Sunday night suits me fine. 6 dollars for the ticket, ends up being 20 thanks to "ticket fees" lol. Looking forward to seeing what a presumably young Flames team can do against a likely veteran Kraken squad.

Still a killer deal!

I'm making my list for the U17 tourney and Dupont is at the top of it. Based on stats from Canada's u17 summer camp games, he won't have a problem being here. :)

Joe Iginla might be another. lol

Might, as in, without question!

• Like 1

I can’t wait to watch Brzustewicz in the preseason. I’ve been really high on him for a while. He was actually someone we mentioned in the 2023 draft thread. Think his defending issues have been slightly over exaggerated. I watched quite a bit of him after the trade last year. Maybe it’s because he was wearing #4 in Kitchener, but his style reminds me a bit of Andersson.

If he were to beat out Pachal, Miromanov and Barrie, I wouldn’t be surprised. Also can’t discount the Kevin Bahl injury. That’s opened up opportunity for others to impress.

Funny how things change though. Wasn’t long ago that the Flames were so thin at RD. Now they’ve got a surplus. Good problem to have.

1 hour ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I can’t wait to watch Brzustewicz in the preseason. I’ve been really high on him for a while. He was actually someone we mentioned in the 2023 draft thread. Think his defending issues have been slightly over exaggerated. I watched quite a bit of him after the trade last year. Maybe it’s because he was wearing #4 in Kitchener, but his style reminds me a bit of Andersson.

If he were to beat out Pachal, Miromanov and Barrie, I wouldn’t be surprised. Also can’t discount the Kevin Bahl injury. That’s opened up opportunity for others to impress.

Funny how things change though. Wasn’t long ago that the Flames were so thin at RD. Now they’ve got a surplus. Good problem to have.

We do this dance every year.  Those deserving of a roster spot are hampered by those that require waivers.  It's not fair.  Zary was probably a sure thing coming out of camp last year, but the way he ended up on the team is "fine".  I think for Breezy, it's ebtirely possible he looks and performs better than Pachal, Barrie, Grush, Solo, and Hanley.  It would be a stretch to pass Miromanov.  

I look at it this way.  1RD and 2RD are Andersson and Miromanov.  Pachal, Barrie and Breezy are the remaining RD that could vie for the 3RD, plus the #7 spot.  That leaves Bean, Bahl, and Solo to fill up 2LD and 3LD and #7.  I doubt they waive Pachal and Solo.  Barrie doesn't need to sign right away and can be added after day 1.  Breezy could win out the 6/7 spot.  But is it the exact right time?  No pro experience.  Could be a revelation but learning on the job is tough.  

My early spitballing is the following making the roster:

Ras, Weegar, Mirimanov, Bahl, Bean, Solo, Pachal.

If we have the spare roster spot or there is a top 6 injury, then it's possible to include Brz.

We still have to waive Hanley (no big loss), Tinordi (AHL bound), Aspirot.

Waiving Solo or Pachal on the last day of waiving would have lower risk.

But you need to be aware of how teams have played it.

A team that is down to 22 could claim.

Anyway, I am not informed of the Flames gameplan.  They could have a long game or could be short-sighted. Sending down Brz, even if he is the 5th or 6th best player in camp, is not a terrible move.  It's pre-season and you aren't seeing the best of any team.  Letting a young guy simmer in the AHL isn't terrible.  He turns 20 in November.   

55 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Really excited to see this lineup tonight. 

Also looking forward to seeing some of the young Kraken players. Catton and Parekh picked one spot apart 

it's really fun watching the learning, from the kids who learned better than anyone else in their year.

Mega learning even game to game.

It's not a secret that Conroy was pissed when Catton was selected.   But, I really do believe Parekh has the most potential of those two.     It just wasn't a good draft year for centers and I am glad we'll be getting ours in these next 2 drafts instead.

As good as Catton is, Parekh is just as good (or better) offensively.    Defense is a harder position to learn, and Parekh is also the higher-risk prospect of the two (obviously), and the larger project of the two.  No risk, no reward though.

Let's go!    Most interesting year, in years.

1 hour ago, jjgallow said:

it's really fun watching the learning, from the kids who learned better than anyone else in their year.

Mega learning even game to game.

It's not a secret that Conroy was pissed when Catton was selected.   But, I really do believe Parekh has the most potential of those two.     It just wasn't a good draft year for centers and I am glad we'll be getting ours in these next 2 drafts instead.

As good as Catton is, Parekh is just as good (or better) offensively.    Defense is a harder position to learn, and Parekh is also the higher-risk prospect of the two (obviously), and the larger project of the two.  No risk, no reward though.

Let's go!    Most interesting year, in years.

I don't know that a D is any more high risk than a C.  Both progressions to NHL are tough.  Catton more than doubled his goals over a season.  Anyway, doesn't really matter at this point.  Both are young and the D tend to have a longer runway to make the NHL.  Whether Connie was playing or really wanted Catton, who knows.  It's fun to see the 1st rounders play off against each other.