24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

24 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I don't think this shows that, they had a summer full of opportunity to make moves to better this team, waiting on a guy nobody wanted who appears on a decline doesn't inspire much confidence in the fanbase and I'm sure people who do this for a living aren't treating this as a wins move.  I don't know if I buy it as a guy they view helps them win, vs someone who gives more depth and buys time for the kids and maybe if it does go well you can dump for a mid round pick, still a lot of chatter around Andersson.  

Are we better now than before the summer started?  Well, I certainly didn't want to overpay for the likes of Stamkos, even if he would vastly improve the team.  Even if we wanted to get into a bidding war, players want to play where they have a chance to win the cup.  In a few years maybe we have that chance.  Doubt we would be a serious player for the top FA's.  

It's a double edge sword rebuilding.  On one hand you want to have the most flexibility to try new players.  But you have a core that wants to make the playoffs.  Well the whole team does.  The GM isn't going to say out loud they want a top 10 pick.  They may do subtle things that make that more easy to get to, but they have fans screaming they want to win.  So you sign a couple of players that may help a young team.  Or they may strictly be rentals you sell high on.  Playing Bruce may be good for the short term, but likely puts him in situations he isn't ready for.  There is no rush.  I would be more interested in seeing a battle in the AHL for top scoring.  If it's Brz or Poirier or Moran, so be it.  Bring them up for a cup of coffee.  

1 hour ago, sak22 said:

I don't think this shows that, they had a summer full of opportunity to make moves to better this team, waiting on a guy nobody wanted who appears on a decline doesn't inspire much confidence in the fanbase and I'm sure people who do this for a living aren't treating this as a wins move.  I don't know if I buy it as a guy they view helps them win, vs someone who gives more depth and buys time for the kids and maybe if it does go well you can dump for a mid round pick, still a lot of chatter around Andersson.  

I don’t think teams that are embracing a bottom 5 finish go out and signs the like of Mantha and Barrie. Especially when you consider they had options internally and didn’t need either. Barrie is arguably their 8th or 9th ranked dman so it doesn’t make sense to me that this is only to protect kids. That was already done

the flames want to put themselves in a position to potential compete for the playoffs if things click but also not hurt themselves long term if it doesn’t. Pretty standard MO for this club

From the Huska's comments, it sounds like Barrie is a guy who will be in and out of the line up and is here for when they feel they need to add more puck moving to the lineup. I really don't think bringing in Barrie really changes much for the kids or the team in general. I think if they felt there was a kid that was ready, then they would have given them a chance, but to have Bru stay in the NHL and play 6th/7th minutes isn't the right move for the player or the team.

You could argue they could've kept Solo, but they already have a lot of players that fill similar roles as Solo in the lineup, Barrie at least brings a different element to the table. 

All in all I am pretty meh on the signing, but I don't think it is anything to lose sleep over either, as I don't think it realistically blocks any development for the younger guys.

5 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I don’t think teams that are embracing a bottom 5 finish go out and signs the like of Mantha and Barrie. Especially when you consider they had options internally and didn’t need either. Barrie is arguably their 8th or 9th ranked dman so it doesn’t make sense to me that this is only to protect kids. That was already done

the flames want to put themselves in a position to potential compete for the playoffs if things click but also not hurt themselves long term if it doesn’t. Pretty standard MO for this club

Sure but I don't know if you can argue other teams are actually embracing it either, don't think Anaheim goes for Strome, Killorn and Gudas over the past few years with the hopes of another bottom 5, same with Chicago with Hall, Foligno, and Perry last year or all their signings this year, even San Jose I would say made more significant additions than the Flames, yes those teams had worse starting points but I think there is a shift in those markets for how they will take losses.  All teams would love to improve over last year, I just don't think there is panic in this market if the wins don't come this year. 

I don't like either player personally even in their primes, don't like Bean either but at the same time they aren't in long term positions so if they don't work out you move on, I think the message to kids this year is the same as last year, Coronato won a spot in camp and was given an opportunity to play in a good role, he failed, but the team did a better job last year of making guys earn it.  Ruzicka was given runway he lost it, Duehr lost it, Dube was trending towards being unqualified, Oesterle lost it.  So I don't really like the look of the team, this is the least excited I've been for a season to start in over 20 years, but I have more faith in this regime having goals beyond this year.  I don't think any team that was bottom 5 last year is targeting that again.

12 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Really Hunt is the only one that has "done anything for me lately".  He's got a good motor, but I wouldn't say he is any better than say Morton.  Tinordi getting claimed would have been odd.  EDM claiming him would have been a huge chuckle.

Just now, sak22 said:

Yeah a free gift for me being a Wranglers STH.

That's a sweet free gift! Flo's awesome. I've subscribed for about 4 years and get mad at myself for not watching enough. But it's cheap, so whatevs. The AHL being added is awesome.

Other sports are great coverage too.

Word of caution, the coverage is only as good as the specific arena's infrastructure/commentary.

Flo is just a facilitator for existing coverage.

But damn they have a lot of coverage.

Mantha has looked better tonight.  No worse than Huberdeau at the least.  But he made several DEFENSIVE plays that I would consider good.  Honzek has played both PK and PP.  He has good hockey sense.  Har to send the kid down.  He's been the best prospect playing all preseason.  At times, he has been the best player on the ice.

2 minutes ago, The_Tribal Chief said:

We should put you on the ice td you may score more goals then these guys are Roflmao

I would just stand 2 feet away from the net and whack in about 10.

Don't ask me to backcheck.

I will wait at the blue line and once the puck is in the zone, skate to the net.

I'm not really impressed with what I am seeing.

It's like we are missing our top player.

I just can't figure out who that would be.

Zary with Backlund kinda kills his game, though Honzek is good.

Huberdeau-Pospisil-Mantha nothing to write about.

Sharky-Kadri-Kuz about the only line getting chances.

Well, them and the 4th line.

I'm still having trouble imagining this team as a strong team on a nightly basis.

The D isn't bad, the F has some good players, and the goalies are good.

They just seem like they need a couple of weeks to figure out the lines.

Just now, The_Tribal Chief said:

3-2 loss but was a good 3rd from the flames i liked it

Loss of concentratio by Zary off the faceoff.

They outplayed the Jets through the entire 3rd, but the PP couldn't get it done.

Sharky left the game after a trip/fall.

Possible knee, but maybe not serious.

Honzek impressive.

Mantha decided to play at least a period.

Scoring came directly from the D, tipped in front.

Vladar was solid and got beat on very tough goals.

4th line good again.

Based on what I've seen so far, I would try Zary between Huberdeau and Mantha.

I'd put Pospisil on Backlund's RW and move Coleman to LW.

As impressed as I am with Honzek this pre-season, I feel that a year in the AHL would strongly benefit him in the long term.

I'm very happy that Solovyov cleared waivers as I think that he will become a strong D oriented NHL defenseman in the future. Probably a 3rd pairing, but he is still young enough that he might become a 2nd pairing in his prime.

9 hours ago, tmac70 said:
Miro is not good, didn't mine Bean and Bahl. Honzek is ok, Huburdeau could be better with a C that can push the play and skate. Mantha is going to be a point of frustration the whole year.

Huby looks good with Pops. Skates well and plays a north-south game.

Maybe Mantha or Honz Coronato Kuzy is on the wing.
Zary fits with Kadr Sharky and or Backs.
I wished we would try Barrie on our PP even our number one.
Andersson isn't doing it for me. His shot is good but the offensive decision-making is not the best at times. 
Next year perhaps Bruce and or Porier will be better suited and ready.

The bottom line is our PP looks the same as last year's. It's a little too predictable.

Kuzy is our most effective player with the man advantage because of his deception.

Lots of hand wringing in preseason.  That's fine, it where we should be trying things to see what doesn't work.  Or we try things and give it a few (5-10) to see if it gets better.  It's not like we are bound for the playoffs even if that's the annual plan.  

Regular season will be a light switch for some players.  For others like Weegar, Kuzmenko, Miromanov, Honzek, Pospisil, Zary, Vladar, Kadri preseason is when they ramp it up.  They play as if each game matters.  Kuzmenko looks like he missed out on a GWG when he misses the net.  

There may be some concern about Sharky after he left the game.  He was able to put weight on his leg, so maybe more precautionary.  There was no post game update on him by Huska though.  

My concern with the roster is what to do with the guys that need waivers vs the guys that have earned spots.  Honezek was clearly the best prospect over the entire camp.  He outplayed Pelletier and Schwindt by a mile.  But the roster is a game of numbers and risks.  Schwindt is more likely to get claimed than Schwindt (we think).  Cooley may be a risk considering that some teams haven't nailed down their backups yet.  Rooney has played his way onto the team, but is not as likely to get claimed as Pelletier.  Klapka is exactly what the Flames want from a 4 RW and has looked good with Lomberg and Rooney.  Coronato started great and cooled off.

It's a tough call.  The top 9 is set.  No real room for Coronato or Honzek there.  Both are exempt.  Then again Pelletier is top 9 or bust.  Schwindt can play 4C and not be out of his comfort zone.  The D has one extra right now in Hanley.  Easy decision.  7D remain after he is waived.  Whether to use 13F by keeping Pelletier and sending down Honzek/Coronato to have the extra G kept off waivers.  Not a death sentence for either player.  You call one up as soon as you are able to sneak down Cooley.

Or you just face it that you can't run 3 goalies right now.  Waive the goalie.  Wolf is exempt, but that's not how you manage a backup.  Not unless you want him starting 3 games right away in the AHL to be ready to take back the backup spot.  

Even if you protect Pelletier, what is the plan?  Mantha or Klapka are really the only players you could draw out to give him a game.  And how does that work?  You don't pay $3M to sit a guy out for 50% of the games.  Pelletier isn't Klapka nor RW.  Tough choices.  Maybe trade is the only route to go.  

I honestly highly doubt either Schwindt or Cooley would get claimed. Pelletier has a higher chance, but it's maybe 60%. As a longterm young prospect, not worth the risk for now.

I don't think anyone getting claimed is a huge deal. We're on a loooong road. Waiver claims are overrated.

Let's get excited about Zahorna-types that litter the leagues. Nothing against Zahorna, but if you're making waiver claims at the beginning of the season, you've got big BIG problems with your roster.

This is where everyone tells me how devastating losing Valimaki was. You'd be absorbed to know that he's listed as top pair with Sergachev. On one of the most schizophrenic rosters ever assembled. Well, at least since ARI's last 8 seasons. They top themselves every year.

I noticed Askarov will start the year with the Barracudas. With him, I'm guessing the trade request/won't report to the A had more to do with Saros in his way for a very long time.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I honestly highly doubt either Schwindt or Cooley would get claimed. Pelletier has a higher chance, but it's maybe 60%. As a longterm young prospect, not worth the risk for now.

I don't think anyone getting claimed is a huge deal. We're on a loooong road. Waiver claims are overrated.

Let's get excited about Zahorna-types that litter the leagues. Nothing against Zahorna, but if you're making waiver claims at the beginning of the season, you've got big BIG problems with your roster.

This is where everyone tells me how devastating losing Valimaki was. You'd be absorbed to know that he's listed as top pair with Sergachev. On one of the most schizophrenic rosters ever assembled. Well, at least since ARI's last 8 seasons. They top themselves every year.

I noticed Askarov will start the year with the Barracudas. With him, I'm guessing the trade request/won't report to the A had more to do with Saros in his way for a very long time.

Askarov was injured so didn't play at all during the preseason.  They are likely pitching it as a chance to recover and get up to speed before they drag him back.  ANyway that's the speculation.

I don't so much worry about Cooley getting claimed, but I suspect the GM does.  I think they are overthinking how to get him to the AHL.  But, to be fair, he has been good in preseason, for what that's worth.  Better than Skinner, like that is saying much.

Schwindt would only be a loss of a piece we got in a trade.  We still haven't gotten the 1st and may not thanks to BT.  A waiver loss would mean the entire package we get for Tkachuk was Weegar.  Schwindt hasn't done much with his games here, so there's that.  The fact he's a tall RHS C is the only real reason for concern.  

From an asset management perspective, losing player we only paid money for is not the end of the world.  Losing a drafted player or a trade piece is more concerning.  At the end of the day, all teams have to do this and if you don't have your goalie sorted out yet, then you are in bigger trouble.  We have our two for the year.  We lose Cooley and we have to consider re-signing Vladar or bringing up Ignatjew.  Cooley and Vladar are the same age, yet Vladar is a vet by some standards.