24-25 Training Camp

conundrumed

7 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

I feel like he's very under-rated by fans. D take longer they say. Then they lose patience. lol

I last saw him play at the Memorial Cup.  Thought he was good then.  We just never seem to appreciate D first D.  Tanev had more offense to begin with, but the role is hard to get by without.

You know Rebuild retool i dont Care either way i Hold alot of pride for this team there not pulling a Edmonton and tanking to try to get and first round overall pick there still trying to be competitive Playoff team and i would Rather see that then them tanking this is a Nhl team a business you dont tank to get a better team Imo sorry...i Still Feel Edmonton cheated to get connor mcdavid weather that was the thing back in the day or not doesnt make it right

Hey guys, got my first real taste of this preseaon beginning at the start of the second, after just watching highlights of the previous games.

I'm really happy about Honzek's success right now, as I was a tiny bit concerned about his development.

I really like what I have seen from Grushnikov so far, looks like he wants to be in the starting lineup when the season starts.

And big Adam Klapka making a case for the 4th line.

• Like 1

Aside from Coleman's goal and Weegar's assist, 8 of the 10 points scored by the Calgary players were from what will be 4th line forwards and 3rd pairing defensemen in the NHL.

I know that it is just pre-season, but the Flames depth players look a lot better than in previous years.

I'd love to see Klapka start the regular season on the 4th line, either at C or RW.

It's impossible to ignore his 6'8", 236 lb. frame which he uses quite well on the forecheck and in the defensive zone. 

His skating and confidence have improved greatly over the two years that he has been in the Flames organization and he had the 2nd most points on the Wranglers roster last season.

That said, he is waivers exempt so the Flames may let him mature for another year in the AHL. He will be a RFA with arbitration rights at the end of 2024/2025.

5 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Hans Solo, Bru and Gru getting good long looks in camp. I don't hate that.

I think that Bru and Gru might end up being the top D pairing on the Wranglers by the end of this year.

After two more seasons, Bru will only be 21 and Gru just 23.

So, there is absolutely no need to rush either of them, a couple of seasons in the AHL will go a long way to get them ready for full time NHL spots.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Of the rookies and (upcoming) sophomore AHL players, Bru and Grush have been the best.  I would even suggest that Bru has made a case for 1st callup.  It's gonna be a numbers game come the end of camp.  Too many D need waivers.

Obvious top 5:

Andersson, Bahl, Bean, Miromanov, Weegar

Next up, but depends on waivers:

Pachal, Solo, Brz, Grush, Barrie, Hanley, Tinordi

Still standing:

Kuznetsov

Just waived:

Aspirot

I doubt that Pachal, Solovyov, or Barrie (if signed) would clear waivers.

So, personally I wouldn't sign Barrie and I'd keep Pachal and Solovyov as the 6/7 D.

I feel sure that Brzustewicz, Grushnikov, and Kuznetsov are going to be headed to the Wranglers as all three of them are waivers exempt and could definitely benefit from the pro experience in the AHL.

Hanley and Tinordi will likely clear waivers without any issues.

I watched the preseason games, preseason or not Huberdeau and Manta are invisible. That statement doesn't help the players on their lines trying to make the team. Pelts isn't going to make it unfortunately he has been passed by Coronato and Honzek. Honzek has been a nice surprise good to see. Gru on D has been fun to watch. I like him better than Hanely and Tinordi. The opening-day roster will be a crap shoot right now, the vets have looked god-awful especially those who need to show some form of I give a Satoshi Nakamotoe attitude. 

• Like 2

9 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

I doubt that Pachal, Solovyov, or Barrie (if signed) would clear waivers.

So, personally I wouldn't sign Barrie and I'd keep Pachal and Solovyov as the 6/7 D.

I feel sure that Brzustewicz, Grushnikov, and Kuznetsov are going to be headed to the Wranglers as all three of them are waivers exempt and could definitely benefit from the pro experience in the AHL.

Hanley and Tinordi will likely clear waivers without any issues.

We don't need to deal with Barrie prior to day 1, so we?  I think that we are likely to lose all three prior to day one if waived.  The othe quandry is Cooley.  EDM just lost Piccard and Cooley is perhaps one of the few G that is NHL ready worth claiming.  There are others likely, but EDM would not hesitate.

The F are also a bit of a problem.  I would suggest that Hunt, Rooney, and Duehr get waived.  That leaves us with 11F.  Pelletier would make 12 (you know MTL claims him otherwise).  7D and 3G.  You may be able to start Coronato in the AHL (paper transaction only), but that's the wrong message being sent.  Same is true with Brz, who seems to be one of the few D that has been impactful.  

So, my final roster is:

F (13)

Huberdeau, Kadri, Sharky, Pospisil, Zary, Backlund, Coleman, Kuzmenko, Mantha, Lomberg, Coronato, Klapka, Pelletier.

D (7)

Andersson, Weegar, Bahl, Bean, Miromanov, Pachal, Solo.

G (3)

Vladar, Wolf, Cooley

I don't like the 3 headed monter, but I don't see a way out.  Each goalie gets 2 games every 6.  They get too cold if they are out longer.  The only benefit is that none of them are ready for more than 40 games.  They were never used as 1B goalies.  THey were always backups.  

50 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

I watched the preseason games, preseason or not Huberdeau and Manta are invisible. That statement doesn't help the players on their lines trying to make the team. Pelts isn't going to make it unfortunately he has been passed by Coronato and Honzek. Honzek has been a nice surprise good to see. Gru on D has been fun to watch. I like him better than Hanely and Tinordi. The opening-day roster will be a crap shoot right now, the vets have looked god-awful especially those who need to show some form of I give a Satoshi Nakamotoe attitude. 

Vets always look god awful in camp. They don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about camp. You're paying me millions, I'm on the roster. That's every team.

My favourite takeaway from Pospisil dryland training with fellow-Slovak Honzek was the advice.

"Keep it simple".

Yup. This isn't Midget or Jr where you can be dominant. Everyone is as good as you. Just play a simple game, don't overthink it.

Of itself, that is the best advice Pospisil could give. The league is 10% "special" players and 90% grunt yeomans work.

53 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The othe quandry is Cooley. 

Solid duo for the Wranglers/decent depth with Ignatjew...

If Cooley clears. He's had a great camp. He should clear. Valimaki should have cleared too.

But Cooley's a 27yo journeyman at this point. Of course he looks good in camp. No reason he shouldn't clear.

4 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Vets always look god awful in camp. They don't give a Satoshi Nakamoto about camp. You're paying me millions, I'm on the roster. That's every team.

My favourite takeaway from Pospisil dryland training with fellow-Slovak Honzek was the advice.

"Keep it simple".

Yup. This isn't Midget or Jr where you can be dominant. Everyone is as good as you. Just play a simple game, don't overthink it.

Of itself, that is the best advice Pospisil could give. The league is 10% "special" players and 90% grunt yeomans work.

100% agree on that first sentence that is for sure every team.

Overall im impressed with the young kids on this team and we actually look like we have some depth killing penalty's and clearing the puck in general out of our end watching most of all pre-season games. 

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Solid duo for the Wranglers/decent depth with Ignatjew...

If Cooley clears. He's had a great camp. He should clear. Valimaki should have cleared too.

But Cooley's a 27yo journeyman at this point. Of course he looks good in camp. No reason he shouldn't clear.

Goalie is the one spot that another team could load up on.  EDM has Rodrigue as their 3rd string, who sucks.  Other teams may have need in nets for day 1.  But an insurance policy like Cooley is cheap.  A team could claim him, then dump him to waivers after a bit if they get back their backup or he doesn't work out for them.  \low cost claim.  Sure, we could turn around and claim him back, assuming we can.

I'm not going to lose sleep about it.  The top two are Wolf and Vladar in whatever order.  We did see something in Cooley we liked, so I don't think we are good in losing him for nothing.  Just saying.

Klapka and Pachal have a role that we don't have a lot of.  Klapka good on the forecheck and a big body to demonize the D.  He also seems to have some fit with Lombergini.  Pachal hits like a ton of bricks.  You don't always want your top 2 D making the big hits.  The 3rd pai is going to be a bit less skilled, so let them run players to create turnovers.

I'm going to be very surprised if Cooley is claimed. He's one a one way next year. 775k is a lot to pay of guaranteed money for a #3, in 25/25.

I'm also not sure the Flames sign Barrie. Between Weegar, Andersson, Pachal, Miromanov, that's 4 RHD at the NHL level. I'm sure they want Brzustewicz to play games this year as well. It's a bit more difficult if he's the #6 RHD. It's really a matter of how badly the Flames want that 4th or 5th round pick they could trade Barrie for at thr TDL.

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'm going to be very surprised if Cooley is claimed. He's one a one way next year. 775k is a lot to pay of guaranteed money for a #3, in 25/25.

I'm also not sure the Flames sign Barrie. Between Weegar, Andersson, Pachal, Miromanov, that's 4 RHD at the NHL level. I'm sure they want Brzustewicz to play games this year as well. It's a bit more difficult if he's the #6 RHD. It's really a matter of how badly the Flames want that 4th or 5th round pick they could trade Barrie for at thr TDL.

Who knows what teams are looking for.  Low risk claim.  A team could turn around and waive him with no penalty.  How many teams ran with 3 goalies last year?  More than one I think.  He's played well in the pre-season and Pacific scouts (at the very least) have watched him play.  His lack of NHL games makes him less of a risk of course.  But all his games were with the Sharks after TDL.  Just saying.  

I really don't want a 3 headed monster, so it may be just as well to waive him.

8 hours ago, travel_dude said:

EDM has Rodrigue as their 3rd string, who sucks. 

But you're forgetting about their young guy that is every bit as good as that "hotshot" Askarov.

The Edmonton media told me so, so it's obviously true.

Ignatjew looks solid as far as found money goes. Mechanics look really sound. It'll be interesting to see how he fares this year. Adding Frk to the Wranglers can only help scoring as a placeholder.

At last year's camp, I'd have never thought, a year later, we have a glut of borderline NHL dmen.

Really have to hand it to the staff that they're building development areas where always lived weaknesses.

Plus, doing so while scraping up to the cap floor, as opposed to the perennially-handcuffed ceiling.

It's a lot easier to watch now, piling up depth, having cap and picks and letting prospects simmer.

Actually having prospects, in itself, is a nice change.

Unsure of everyone else, but I certainly doff my cap to Conroy's handling so far.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

But you're forgetting about their young guy that is every bit as good as that "hotshot" Askarov.

The Edmonton media told me so, so it's obviously true.

Ignatjew looks solid as far as found money goes. Mechanics look really sound. It'll be interesting to see how he fares this year. Adding Frk to the Wranglers can only help scoring as a placeholder.

At last year's camp, I'd have never thought, a year later, we have a glut of borderline NHL dmen.

Really have to hand it to the staff that they're building development areas where always lived weaknesses.

Plus, doing so while scraping up to the cap floor, as opposed to the perennially-handcuffed ceiling.

It's a lot easier to watch now, piling up depth, having cap and picks and letting prospects simmer.

Actually having prospects, in itself, is a nice change.

Unsure of everyone else, but I certainly doff my cap to Conroy's handling so far.

Who would that be, Ungar or Delia?  Bwahaha

Frk was sent down and Kirkland.  

Still have a glut and yes that is most impressive.

And we don't even have recent D playing on the team quite yet.