Rick Ball

3 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Watching this package was pretty cool. It did make me feel pretty nostalgic. We've had some great players — Gaudreau, Tkachuk, Monahan, Hamilton, Giordano, Hudler. It's too bad that they didn't have more success, and it's too bad that they're all gone.

Love.

• Like 1

Very disapointed as a Flames fan to hear this.

Rick Ball is one of the best play by play guys out there.  Watch a lot of other broadcasts last year and was always please to come back to Ball's coverage.  I thought him and Millen did really well last year.

Good luck Rick in your new job.   Blackhawks are lucky to get you.

Singh and Wills are probably the favorites.

These jobs rarely come open. I think only the Flames and Bruins are open right now. CBJ seems that they're going with the Islanders AHL guy. There's not really a need to settle for one of the SN guys. This is a job that will be coveted by many. Hopefully the Flames do an exhaustive search and land a great candidate.

4 hours ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Singh and Wills are probably the favorites.

These jobs rarely come open. I think only the Flames and Bruins are open right now. CBJ seems that they're going with the Islanders AHL guy. There's not really a need to settle for one of the SN guys. This is a job that will be coveted by many. Hopefully the Flames do an exhaustive search and land a great candidate.

I think it will be Singh as Rogers is cheap and the Flames aren’t the big draw now so don’t see them bringing in new people.

As far as the National gig I hope for anyone but Michaels that guy hurts my ears.

16 minutes ago, sak22 said:

I think it will be Singh as Rogers is cheap and the Flames aren’t the big draw now so don’t see them bringing in new people.

As far as the National gig I hope for anyone but Michaels that guy hurts my ears.

Singh would be fine. I think he's improved quite a bit.

He would have to change the way he calls national games a bit, I think. The "Connnnnoooorrr McccccDaaaaviddd" might have to stop. Haha.

Singh is okay but not my favorite.  His 'excitable' style leaves me a bit cold.   Very knowledgeable about the game though.

Enjoyed his autobiography and wish him all the best.

Not that I hold him against it but he is a life long Oilers fan!!

Do the Flames actually have any say?   Surely it is a SN decision?

3 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Singh is okay but not my favorite.  His 'excitable' style leaves me a bit cold.   Very knowledgeable about the game though.

This in bold and I truly hope they have someone better then Singh.  (Great guy for sure but hard to listen to)..

7 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

He seems to have a good knowledge about hockey, but he doesn't get the nuances with the game, such as why a play is blown dead.  

I haven't paid as much attention to him recently, so he may have gotten better.  

I can do without him, but the choices are small.  Ball was good and called it pretty even.  Was not a homer like the EDM crew.

• 2 months later...

New Voice Of The Flames On Sportsnet | Calgary Flames (nhl.com)

Sportsnet today announced that Jon Abbott has been named as the new play-by-play voice of the Calgary Flames on Sportsnet. Abbott joins game analysts Kelly Hrudey and Greg Millen in the Sportsnet broadcast booth, with host Ryan Leslie delivering the latest updates around the rink.

Having started his career at Rogers TV, Abbott brings an impressive resume spanning more than 24 years in sports broadcasting, covering some of hockey’s biggest moments in the NHL, CHL, AHL, World Junior Hockey Championships, World Men's Hockey Championships, and Olympics. He now joins the Calgary Flames on Sportsnet regional broadcast team after NHL stints in Toronto, Vancouver, and most recently Ottawa.

Don't know much about this guy, but relieved they didn't go with someone like Wills or Singh.

• Like 5