GDT - Flames @ Kraken - Monday 20th Nov 8pm MST

travel_dude

Outside of Andersson shutting me up, a few good general trends:

- fall behind, keep playing hard

- both goalies are putting in solid efforts

- PP looks like it's finally evolving the last few

Honourable mention: Huberdeau playing with lots of jam.

Should we just start games at 5 minute 3-on-3s then move to the shootout?lol

Pretty weak 2nd. I kind of expected it at some point in the game. Should be called Seattle Quagmire, that's pretty much the game they want.

TOI is a bit concerning to start a road trip, but due to needing that 3rd period push for a goal. Need a 4th line to trust with more than 6-8mins.

Solid win, can we not run games up to 1am est?

Should be able to compete well on this road trip. It's a nice challenge for them.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Outside of Andersson shutting me up, a few good general trends:

- fall behind, keep playing hard

- both goalies are putting in solid efforts

- PP looks like it's finally evolving the last few

Honourable mention: Huberdeau playing with lots of jam.

Should we just start games at 5 minute 3-on-3s then move to the shootout?lol

Pretty weak 2nd. I kind of expected it at some point in the game. Should be called Seattle Quagmire, that's pretty much the game they want.

TOI is a bit concerning to start a road trip, but due to needing that 3rd period push for a goal. Need a 4th line to trust with more than 6-8mins.

Solid win, can we not run games up to 1am est?

Should be able to compete well on this road trip. It's a nice challenge for them.

The two bolded things stand out.  The goal was the best of an otherwise poor execution.  The reason they scored was dogged persistence.  I watched one PP where Ras and Lindholm passed it back and forth about 5 times without even thinking about a shot.  What is it about Ras where he thinks the only thing you should do on the PP is play it for possession?  Frustrating.  

The concerning aspect of this game was the decision to change all 4 lines in the 2nd period.  A 17 to 6 shot deficiency in the 2nd.  That was supposed to be a good decision?  I get the minor deficiency in the 1st, since we were terrible on faceoffs.  12% average.  But the 2nd saw an overall increase in faceoff wins and way worse play.  

I get that sometimes one of the kids is not having a good game.  Zary maybe was fighting it a bit.  Pospisil was a threat the entire game.  One change was all you needed to do.  Have a lead, make some changes and be down by a goal.  

The TOI is concerning, but not so much with a day off before the next game.  For the most part it was the defensive line that overplayed.  Huberdeau, Backlund and Coleman 19 minutes.  And that was mostly due to not having last change.  Had to account for them playing top lines where our 4th line would be the next up.  We don't trot out F for 24 minutes in regulation.  

The Dallas/Colorado set is going to kill us the most.  Dallas hard hitting and big players, Colorado killing us with speed and puck movement.  2 points from that set would be a win.

41 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The two bolded things stand out.  The goal was the best of an otherwise poor execution.  The reason they scored was dogged persistence.  I watched one PP where Ras and Lindholm passed it back and forth about 5 times without even thinking about a shot.  What is it about Ras where he thinks the only thing you should do on the PP is play it for possession?  Frustrating.  

The concerning aspect of this game was the decision to change all 4 lines in the 2nd period.  A 17 to 6 shot deficiency in the 2nd.  That was supposed to be a good decision?  I get the minor deficiency in the 1st, since we were terrible on faceoffs.  12% average.  But the 2nd saw an overall increase in faceoff wins and way worse play.  

I get that sometimes one of the kids is not having a good game.  Zary maybe was fighting it a bit.  Pospisil was a threat the entire game.  One change was all you needed to do.  Have a lead, make some changes and be down by a goal.  

The TOI is concerning, but not so much with a day off before the next game.  For the most part it was the defensive line that overplayed.  Huberdeau, Backlund and Coleman 19 minutes.  And that was mostly due to not having last change.  Had to account for them playing top lines where our 4th line would be the next up.  We don't trot out F for 24 minutes in regulation.  

The Dallas/Colorado set is going to kill us the most.  Dallas hard hitting and big players, Colorado killing us with speed and puck movement.  2 points from that set would be a win.

I bolded things that stand out also for me but with the concerning portions.

PP - Need to simplify it more, stop the "perfect passing" dance around and just shoot more and create rebounds, you cant score without shots period. T.D. mentions passing and I agree that was an absurd moment.

Line changes - Huska needs to keep the lines a bit more stable and let the players mold into them. 2nd period is an example of failed line juggling. 

Faceoffs -  as T.D. mentions it is something that needs to be addressed in practice over and over again.

New opponents - Adaptability comes to mind, choose your game style before the puck drops and stick with it. Decide if its going to be a physical game, D-game, Neutral game, whatever.  "Know your enemy"!

Game summary positives:

Hubey showed up, big positive for that.

Pospisil skates hard before and after every shift going to the bench.  This kid wants to be on the team!

Mangi getting his 100th goal, takes that monkey off his back to move forward.

Come backs!  This team is learning they can win no matter how late in the game is. We used to dominate this as one of the best in the league and again last night they showed the "never quit".

Finally T.D.'s knack of trolling players to score, works every time keep it up! Worked out great last night.

Cheers..

2 minutes ago, medatswhoP said:

I bolded things that stand out also for me but with the concerning portions.

PP - Need to simplify it more, stop the "perfect passing" dance around and just shoot more and create rebounds, you cant score without shots period. T.D. mentions passing and I agree that was an absurd moment.

Line changes - Huska needs to keep the lines a bit more stable and let the players mold into them. 2nd period is an example of failed line juggling. 

Faceoffs -  as T.D. mentions it is something that needs to be addressed in practice over and over again.

New opponents - Adaptability comes to mind, choose your game style before the puck drops and stick with it. Decide if its going to be a physical game, D-game, Neutral game, whatever.  "Know your enemy"!

Game summary positives:

Hubey showed up, big positive for that.

Pospisil skates hard before and after every shift going to the bench.  This kid wants to be on the team!

Mangi getting his 100th goal, takes that monkey off his back to move forward.

Come backs!  This team is learning they can win no matter how late in the game is. We used to dominate this as one of the best in the league and again last night they showed the "never quit".

Finally T.D.'s knack of trolling players to score, works every time keep it up! Worked out great last night.

Cheers..

When the guys you want to shoot actually shoot, we score goals.  Funny isn't it.  I knew we were going to win when Ball brought up the number of times SEA has blown 3rd period leads.  And when Hrudey said Daccord was perfect so far.  

We don't have C that consistently win faceoffs.  Backlund has good and bad nights.  Last night they all struggled.  So far, only Lindholm is above 50%.  Dube is above that but has taken very few.  Ruzicka has taken more but plays wing as often as C.  The play last night was in part caused by losing draws.  They would hem us in after a loss.  Or we would waste 30 seconds of a PP on re-entering the zone.  

I think we are better with Ruzicka.  I think we play better when Zary gets more ice.  I'm not feeling the love for Dube this season.  He's had way more games when he's not helping.  He does good things, but I see more of Sutter Bennett than Sutter Tkachuk in Dube.

Interesting couple of games! I thought the game against the Islanders was a very entertaining one, which we should have won. Unfortunately we couldn't bury one of the many chances in OT.

Then against Seattle I thought it wasn't really a good game, but we got 2 points. I liked the first period, then followed it up with really bad second, but battled hard in the third.

I like Huberdeau's game since the Canucks victory, he looks way better than before. Andersson had a nice bounce back game after his big giveaway agains the Isles. Outside of that second goal, Vladar was very good, made several big saves in the 2nd half of the game.

The third pairing has me a bit worried right now, they have not been good these past 2 games, especially #16.

I don't know if it is just me, but I think Zad looks not really that motivated out there since his trade request. He's also back to his lazy penalties, which he had in his starting time here.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, DirtyDeeds said:

3ddaf34d53a2154385b8565d86cda40e.png

So we are 2 points out of the wildcard spots. This is the reward for the Flames hard work and focus on the job.

Is Kevin Lowe still running the "How Lowe can we go" sweepstakes that it appears the Oilers are trying for AGAIN ????

The only thing I am concerned about right now is winning more than 1/2 our games.  12 points in the last 10 games doesn't show our progress, but it's still there keeping us out of the WC mix.  As you suggest, we are only one RW or ROW out of the last WC spot.  Assuming Seattle ANA, ARI and SEA lose their next game.  Games in hand over SEA but that's not key right now. 

EDM is messed up.  No trouble scoring, but can't fix the defense.  Actually check that.  50 goals in 17 games, only 2.84 goals per game, so not dire but not great.  26th in league scoring.  The cookie monsters are still scoring but not preventing goals.  McD with a p/gp and on pace for 80 points.  Over half scored on the PP.  He will pick up but he's off to a poor start.  And all this with the top 2 playing average 22 minutes per game.  And playing together most night.