Flames at Maple Leafs 10 November 2023 - 5pm MT

Ryan Man

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

If Huberdeau would shoot more in game, he might have more than a little slip shot in the SO.

Best shooters on the team (this year):

Lindholm

Coleman

Govich

Mangiapane

Zary

Zaddy

They ignored 3 of them and went to extra shooters.

That doesn't matter. None of them are particularly half decent at shootouts. They shoulda played a better 3rd after tying it.

4 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Outshot 11-3 in the 3rd and it showed. We escaped with a point really.

Tie the game, go into retreat.

Lousy refs, lousy 3rd.

We had more than enough chances to win in the 3rd and failed to even record shots.

Missed chances in OT.

It felt like we may be heading to a regulation loss, so the SOL is fine.

25 minutes ago, jjgallow said:

Maybe just me but I thought that was one of their best games.

Hate the result, love the effort.

The bad parts were:

• hanging goalie out to dry on at least 2 goals
  • Lack on pushback in the 3rd after we tied it up

Other than that, not much to complain about.

We scored 4 goals, 2 of them came off rookies.

14 hours ago, conundrumed said:

That's what his agent said.  I am annoyed at the fact that he doesn't get PP time ever.  We barely are able to gain the zone yet he is one of the best at doing it, as well as one of the best skaters on the team.  

My second thought is that he has been quietly annoyed with the team wanting rid of the old coach then not stepping up to play like he was the problem all along.  Zaddy never seems to have issues with coaching, so I don't know this is a problem that ice time can fix.

Ever since he entered the NHL in 2013/2014, I have always been impressed with Zadorov's skating. To me it is among the best of the big men (6'4"+) in the NHL.

However, to me his hockey IQ seems to be average at best and some of his decisions at both ends of the rink can make for quite an adventure, so I feel that he is best slotted as a solid bottom pairing D.

IMO, not quite worth the $3.75M per season that he is currently being paid.

However, it is definitely an asset that he can play on either side with very little drop in his play.

He has also has a strong physical presence despite being only an average fighter.

I was also quite impressed by his "no excuses" interview from October 24.

That said, during those somewhat rare times when he is "on his game", he is easily a strong 2nd pairing D.

Both his skating and shot can be intimidating, so he can certainly be a major asset in the offensive zone, especially on the PP.

If his game was more consistently ON and had even a decent D partner, he could well be worth up to $5M to $6M per season.

As it is, I believe that the Flames would be best served by trading him no later that the TDL for draft picks and/or young prospects.

Unfortunately, that makes the trade options limited as most of the teams in the NHL are capped out.

2 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Ever since he entered the NHL in 2013/2014, I have always been impressed with Zadorov's skating. To me it is among the best of the big men (6'4"+) in the NHL.

However, to me his hockey IQ seems to be average at best and some of his decisions at both ends of the rink can make for quite an adventure, so I feel that he is best slotted as a solid bottom pairing D.

IMO, not quite worth the $3.75M per season that he is currently being paid.

However, it is definitely an asset that he can play on either side with very little drop in his play.

He has also has a strong physical presence despite being only an average fighter.

I was also quite impressed by his "no excuses" interview from October 24.

That said, during those somewhat rare times when he is "on his game", he is easily a strong 2nd pairing D.

Both his skating and shot can be intimidating, so he can certainly be a major asset in the offensive zone, especially on the PP.

If his game was more consistently ON and had even a decent D partner, he could well be worth up to $5M to $6M per season.

As it is, I believe that the Flames would be best served by trading him no later that the TDL for draft picks and/or young prospects.

Unfortunately, that makes the trade options limited as most of the teams in the NHL are capped out.

I don't disagree with the assessment of the player, but we have paired him with Gilbert, Oesterle and DeSimonne.  Not exactly how you want to line up a potential top 4 D.  I think there is a right fit with him, but it has to be a defense first guy, so you use him for his up ice play and protecting the house.  

TBH, I haven't been impressed with anyone from our D this year yet.  Every single one of the top 5 D make the same mistake.  Not many of them are playing all of their responsibilities well.  Tanev is about the only one that gets it.  Zaddy just seems a bit more impacted negatively by the room effort.

• Kulstad unpinned this topic