How are you feeling about Tkachuk, Bennett and Lomberg?

V1nny83at5

5 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

No salt here at all.

Out of the 3 Lomberg was my favorite and still is.

Tkachuck - glad he left and I think we got a good return for him.   Never wanted him as a C or a face of the Flames Family.   Weeger will only get better and his current cap hit is going to look really good value in a couple of years.  Huberdeau will rebound.   Cole Swindt might turn out to be a decent 4th liner but not so convinced of that yet.   The trade could yet turn out to be good for both clubs.  Too much recency bias going on at the moment.

I don't really care who wins the final,  but at least it will a frinacise first for one of them and one more than Vancouver!

You're a lot more optimistic than me and for somewhat of a change, I'd say more optimistic than most of the fanbase now.

But, we do agree, Tkachuk was not needed here.    We were right to draft him, but I don't miss him.    

All this talk about him being the face of the NHL, that's going to fade imho.   Very glad he left.

Did we get a good return for him?  Well we're back to differing here lol.

14 hours ago, Heartbreaker said:

Yeah, I liked Lomberg at the time, and had hoped that he'd stay. You're right about Bennett, and I've said this before, but one of the most frustrating things to have watched - and it's a long list of frustrating things, having been a life-long Flames fan - was the development of Sam Bennett. I'm not sure if fumbled is the right word... more like spiked.

I don't buy the bit about Tkachuk, though. Specifically, around his playoff performance. He absolutely could have been that player here, and what we're seeing now is a much more mature Matthew Tkachuk. Forwards tend to hit their prime in their late 20s, and he's not even there yet. He was always going to improve, and we have seen that year over year. Unfortunately, I think that we're left with sour grapes on that one.

Love.

I'm thinking that Tkacuk in the playoffs now is what he lacked in a line last year.  Gaudreau was too soft for intense playoff competition playing with Tkachuk.  Tkachuk was go to the net while Johnny was shoot from the angle.  Had we had Huberdeau instead, it might have been a different result last year.

Had we been able to trade Johnny for Huberdeau (and got rid of Sutter) would have had a different end result.  We would have a bigger aging LW and Tkachuk.  Huberdeau is built better for the playoffs.  Johnny G is a different type of performer.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Wish them all the best and probably rooting for them to win it if i'm honest. 

For sure I wish Bennett and Tkachuk were still here and if the Flames had of developed Bennett differently (mostly just kept him at center) then there is a chance he'd still be here. Interesting to point out though, his performance hasn't exactly shot up in Florida like some argue so while I do think the Flames could have done a better job with his development I don't think it's a game changer. 

Tkachuk only hurts a bit because he was my favorite, and my sons too, player. So emotionally it sucks but I get why he left and don't harbor any ill will on it. Not the fault of anyone, he just wanted to play elsewhere and I respect that. 

I think the only difference in the versions of Bennett are that he has players to play with him. They play good players on his line. 

I think you or other stats people pointed out that he was good in most metrics but where it mattered most he was not getting points.

for me it was, give him guys who can receive a pass.

11 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I'm thinking that Tkacuk in the playoffs now is what he lacked in a line last year.  Gaudreau was too soft for intense playoff competition playing with Tkachuk.  Tkachuk was go to the net while Johnny was shoot from the angle.  Had we had Huberdeau instead, it might have been a different result last year.

Had we been able to trade Johnny for Huberdeau (and got rid of Sutter) would have had a different end result.  We would have a bigger aging LW and Tkachuk.  Huberdeau is built better for the playoffs.  Johnny G is a different type of performer.  

👍🏼👍🏼