GDT Wings at Flames Feb 16/22 7:00pm Start

travel_dude

4 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Flames don't have rentals to sell.  Lucic, Lewis isn't getting anything.  We might as well buy and go for it.

Acquiring 1 or 2 players isnt going to make a difference right now. We're starting to see alot more bad than good as a collective and you gotta ask, is it the core, the system or something else? Maybe lack of leadership, I dunno.  All I know is we're seeing a team that rarely plays a very good game but mostly struggles to play a complete 60 minutes if any at all and apart from a couple exemptions its effecting everyone. Its starting to feel like last years Jets.

35 minutes ago, flames-fan-in-jets-land said:

Acquiring 1 or 2 players isnt going to make a difference right now. We're starting to see alot more bad than good as a collective and you gotta ask, is it the core, the system or something else? Maybe lack of leadership, I dunno.  All I know is we're seeing a team that rarely plays a very good game but mostly struggles to play a complete 60 minutes if any at all and apart from a couple exemptions its effecting everyone. Its starting to feel like last years Jets.

We keep hearing about all the leaders in the room.  Guys with rings.

It might get old real quick hearing someone say it while watching them struggle to play some nights.

Some lines and PP units seem to not be working, yet we see a repeat of it.

Not sure how you fix it, since we don't have a captain to step up or to strip if there are problems.

13 hours ago, conundrumed said:

The Flames have to get to Hellberg. He never starts. The team is hot, everyone's making a difference, now it's his turn. Get him moving and shoot. He's gotta be tense.

Detroit WILL get in a shootout with anyone, and they've had 3-4 goal comebacks in 3rd periods alone.

So get a lead, and don't stop. They'll gladly play 6-5 games.

This should be really interesting. Since they beat us 2-1, they've shellacked Van back2back 6-1 and 5-2. Gave Edmonton all they could handle for the SO win. This isn't the ARI-bad Wings anymore.

This is a good matchup to see where both teams stand.

add:

they are only 2 points out of a wildcard spot....

• Like 1

What is concerning is players are not willing or stepping up to the challenge. Frankly, I still don't get how this is on the coach when the players can't execute. The excuse is the lines are not working, pairings are bad blah blah.... What grows old is it the players that this club selects never step up.......Tanev taking the blame I am not sure that was sarcasm or the truth behind it. For those that like fancy stats, this club is better in most areas except 2, PP, and Goaltending. Frankly, I am closer to the burn-it-down club now than the take-a-run group. For some reason, there is a dark cloud over this club right now. Extend the coach of the year to fire him 3/4 way through the season, its not the coach or systems its the players, always has been

39 minutes ago, tmac70 said:

What is concerning is players are not willing or stepping up to the challenge. Frankly, I still don't get how this is on the coach when the players can't execute. The excuse is the lines are not working, pairings are bad blah blah.... What grows old is it the players that this club selects never step up.......Tanev taking the blame I am not sure that was sarcasm or the truth behind it. For those that like fancy stats, this club is better in most areas except 2, PP, and Goaltending. Frankly, I am closer to the burn-it-down club now than the take-a-run group. For some reason, there is a dark cloud over this club right now. Extend the coach of the year to fire him 3/4 way through the season, its not the coach or systems its the players, always has been

Bob Hartley was a Jack Adams winner too, wasn't he?  We had guys in their final year performing way higher than usual.  It worked, but it's not the same team.  Sutter has pointed out the differences many times.  No high skill.  Have to get greasy goals.  Shot volume.  Get to the blue paint.  We had one guy like that last year and he is gone.

If the identity is not a given then maybe it's the wrong identity for this club.  Lines don't work, but we are staying the same?  Chemistry isn't a thing for Sutter; you need to perform to get 2nd line minutes.  What if that 2nd line doesn't work.  

We use a specific model of defending.  Needs to have 6 guys on that same page and talking.  Doesn't work for every team.  The PP, I don't pretend to understand.  I think Muller runs that.  What I have seen is an odd use of players.  And I can't tell by watching if they are executing the plan or not.  It's not obvious.

There is more than one person at fault.  Not the GM only.  Not the players only.  Not the goalies only.  I can't figure out how two goalies go from Jennings candidates to bottom 10.

It is ip to players to execute and they isn’t happening with enough consistency for sure. But it’s also up to the coach and coaching staff to have the right message and situation to allow players to step into that space and the excute. If you have a poor atmosphere or a poor message it’s very challenging to expect players to execute at a high level. 

I don’t think it’s fair to blame this all on coaching but I think it’s absolutely fair to question whether or not the flames have the right atmosphere to be successful. 

• Like 1

29 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It is ip to players to execute and they isn’t happening with enough consistency for sure. But it’s also up to the coach and coaching staff to have the right message and situation to allow players to step into that space and the excute. If you have a poor atmosphere or a poor message it’s very challenging to expect players to execute at a high level. 

I don’t think it’s fair to blame this all on coaching but I think it’s absolutely fair to question whether or not the flames have the right atmosphere to be successful. 

So, Walsh's second statement addresses the negativity.

But I have to ask what he is referring to with the insanity thing.

Is it the lines, the PP or the use of 4th line or lines in general?

The 4th isn't really getting more than 10 minutes.

But they are used with no rhyme or reason.

Starting against Larkin?

After successive shifts of pressure against?

Anyway, enough about that.

Sutter looked to have changed the Weegar-Tanev pairing to Weegar-Ras and Hanifin-Tanev.

Ritchie is out, Ruzicka in.

Markstrom looks to be in the starter net and for some reason Vladar smashed his goal stick.

These guys need to get this stuff out of their heads.

27 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, Walsh's second statement addresses the negativity.

But I have to ask what he is referring to with the insanity thing.

Is it the lines, the PP or the use of 4th line or lines in general?

The 4th isn't really getting more than 10 minutes.

But they are used with no rhyme or reason.

Starting against Larkin?

After successive shifts of pressure against?

Anyway, enough about that.

Sutter looked to have changed the Weegar-Tanev pairing to Weegar-Ras and Hanifin-Tanev.

Ritchie is out, Ruzicka in.

Markstrom looks to be in the starter net and for some reason Vladar smashed his goal stick.

These guys need to get this stuff out of their heads.

IMO it’s two fold 

1. their volume based system isn’t working, nor is there let’s turn it every game not a slog fest. 
2. Huberdeau and Kadri arnt really clicking. When you have other likes not exactly lightning it up why are we sticking with the same lineup?

41 minutes ago, cross16 said:

IMO it’s two fold 

1. their volume based system isn’t working, nor is there let’s turn it every game not a slog fest. 
2. Huberdeau and Kadri arnt really clicking. When you have other likes not exactly lightning it up why are we sticking with the same lineup?

I'm not sure what the fear is to use different looks.

Hubey-Lindholm-Dube if you like or swap sides.

Hubey-Lindholm-Toffoli

Pelletier-Kadri-Toffoli

Pelletier-Kadri-Dube

Ideally you don't want to mess up one line just to fix another.

But not every night your top line is 100% working.  

I'm sure there are options.

Anyway, not the place to come up with lines.

Just saying.

Eric Francis..... cough cough

He likes to stir the pot.. find something to complain about or raise some sh*t

Dutter obviously does not like his loaded questions he so gives him nothing and fuels it.

So you get Eric Francis looking for something.. anything to try and start something.... 

That tweet is the ideal example of what Eric Francis likes to use to stir things up.  if you listen you can tell it was Francis asking Dutter  about it in the news conference...

20 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

Eric Francis..... cough cough

He likes to stir the pot.. find something to complain about or raise some sh*t

Dutter obviously does not like his loaded questions he so gives him nothing and fuels it.

So you get Eric Francis looking for something.. anything to try and start something.... 

That tweet is the ideal example of what Eric Francis likes to use to stir things up.  if you listen you can tell it was Francis asking Dutter  about it in the news conference...

For sure.  If it's just him, I totally ignore.....

Like the following:

Eric Francis

@EricFrancis

·

4h

Vladar just broke his stick across the post and left the ice briefly out of frustration. These Flames goalies are leading the league in one stat - broken lumber. Frustration extremely evident in Calgary these days, & last night’s game, followed by Walsh’s tweet, escalated things.

Dan Vladar

@danvladar

Replying to

@EricFrancis

Forgot to mention I Came back in 5 sec later bcs I forgot to bring 2nd one. My bad. Goalies break their sticks because we care…by the way guys love it and dont worry I’ll put money on a board for it

1:13 PM · Feb 17, 2023·

3 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Bob Hartley was a Jack Adams winner too, wasn't he?  We had guys in their final year performing way higher than usual.  It worked, but it's not the same team.  Sutter has pointed out the differences many times.  No high skill.  Have to get greasy goals.  Shot volume.  Get to the blue paint.  We had one guy like that last year and he is gone.

If the identity is not a given then maybe it's the wrong identity for this club.  Lines don't work, but we are staying the same?  Chemistry isn't a thing for Sutter; you need to perform to get 2nd line minutes.  What if that 2nd line doesn't work.  

We use a specific model of defending.  Needs to have 6 guys on that same page and talking.  Doesn't work for every team.  The PP, I don't pretend to understand.  I think Muller runs that.  What I have seen is an odd use of players.  And I can't tell by watching if they are executing the plan or not.  It's not obvious.

There is more than one person at fault.  Not the GM only.  Not the players only.  Not the goalies only.  I can't figure out how two goalies go from Jennings candidates to bottom 10.

Couple of questions for you. 

What is the identity of this club? 

What was the reason Sutter was brought in for?

What is being said behind closed doors ? 

The message really hasn't changed has it, win a cup. What has changed is poor execution and poor goaltending. The easiest thing to do is point fingers, reality is change starts with the person looking at you in the mirror.  

What happens in the Particiapation society is they find out loing sucks and getting proper results is actully real hard work. Losing sucks, and having to answer quesions about why your losing sucks. True to form everyone points fingers to someone else for the reason for losing, which a true sign of  losers as they blame others for their poor effort and lack of results.