GDT - FLAMES @ Isles - Monday 7 November 2022 AT 5pm MT

rocketdoctor

I don't remember seeing the Flames play like this at all last year, its seriously concerning to me.  I don't think the players are really buying in Sutter's system anymore, at least not the new players.  I know its only been 11 games but how long are we gonna keep saying that?

It’s early season but Brett Ritchie and Milan Lucic played almost as much 5on5 ice time as Kadri and Huberdeau tonight 

I get rolling likes but In a game where your up and need a win that doesn’t make sense to me. Now with what that line has done so far this season. They got hemmed in a lot in that 3rd period. 

Ok, so I’m ticked at this one!  No way the Flames should have lost this one, but the loss was earned!!  Any time a team is leading by 2 in the 3rd, the lead should be kept.

I became concerned in the back half of the second when the Flames showed signs of slowing the play.  They do best when they are aggressive and pushing the play.  They sat back and then were put in the position of running around chasing the play.

where I truly get frustrated is when the team (and I will point at everyone) accepts a standard far below what should be tolerated.  That’s the same kind of play that showed complacency and apathy years ago.  I would accept a loss if they left their “all” on the ice, but not this.

Think before we panic should point out the Flames we’re pretty good in this game. 

14-10 Flames in high danger chances 

3.39 to 2.2 in expected goals 

55% plus share in Corsi and Fenwick. 

100% you want them to guide that home and manage the puck better but I still think a lot of the puck management issues come down to chemistry. And honestly Mackstrom needs to make that save on Palmari. 

I don’t see a reason to be negative about the game. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

It’s early season but Brett Ritchie and Milan Lucic played almost as much 5on5 ice time as Kadri and Huberdeau tonight 

I get rolling likes but In a game where your up and need a win that doesn’t make sense to me. Now with what that line has done so far this season. They got hemmed in a lot in that 3rd period. 

I believe they’re playing back to back games and tomorrow’s is at 4pm MT, so I can see why some lines were getting more ice time, especially with a 3-1 lead. However, I think we know Sutter well enough by now to know that he wants a team that he can roll 4 lines. The only way he’s going to get to do that confidently is by doing it now and helping those players grow responsibly. I want a win just as much as everyone else here, but I ask: what is the cost of that win if you’re playing Kadri, Huberdeau, etc 25 mins/night consistently? I’ll tell you. The cost is only being able to play one or maybe 2 lines to do everything for your team - night in and night out. You have to give the bottom lines opportunities to grow, so come the end of the season and playoffs, you’re confident to play them and allow your big guns to recharge. We are all well aware of a few teams that rely on just a few players to get them wins, and what happens when the supporting cast can’t contribute. 

6 minutes ago, LouCifer said:

I believe they’re playing back to back games and tomorrow’s is at 4pm MT, so I can see why some lines were getting more ice time, especially with a 3-1 lead. However, I think we know Sutter well enough by now to know that he wants a team that he can roll 4 lines. The only way he’s going to get to do that confidently is by doing it now and helping those players grow responsibly. I want a win just as much as everyone else here, but I ask: what is the cost of that win if you’re playing Kadri, Huberdeau, etc 25 mins/night consistently? I’ll tell you. The cost is only being able to play one or maybe 2 lines to do everything for your team - night in and night out. You have to give the bottom lines opportunities to grow, so come the end of the season and playoffs, you’re confident to play them and allow your big guns to recharge. We are all well aware of a few teams that rely on just a few players to get them wins, and what happens when the supporting cast can’t contribute. 

i understand all of that and I’m not asking for Huberdeau to play 25 mins a night. There is quite a bit of runway between Huberdeau and Ritchie almost playing the same ice time and Huberdeau playing 25 mins. 

if the 4th line had been good lately I’d be more understanding but they haven’t been. The bench should have been shortened in the 3rd especially with the way it was playing out. 

One thing is for sure, they have not played 60 minutes in any game so far this year. The turnovers per game is just unreal!  I'm really missing Kyllington and Tanev right now.  I know the D is much to blame for a lot of the GA but Marky needs to come up with a HUGE save, he's been subpar so far this year (again he lets in the first shot on goal tonight).  Ok, i'll end this with a positive, we have gotten a point in each of these last 2 disastrous games and the Coilers lost again tonight!

15 minutes ago, taz89 said:

One thing is for sure, they have not played 60 minutes in any game so far this year. The turnovers per game is just unreal!  I'm really missing Kyllington and Tanev right now.  I know the D is much to blame for a lot of the GA but Marky needs to come up with a HUGE save, he's been subpar so far this year (again he lets in the first shot on goal tonight).  Ok, i'll end this with a positive, we have gotten a point in each of these last 2 disastrous games and the Coilers lost again tonight!

Forget 60 lost to a team that only played a good 20.  I agree on Marky, not his worst game of the season but when the other guy is on his game you can't let in that 3rd goal, Sorokin limited the damage Marky did not.

1 hour ago, taz89 said:

I didn't find they didn't play 60.

The expected push back was there in the 3rd.

We just half arsed it trying to clear.

Saw some plays that I thought were gone when JG left.

Weak entries with nothing behind them.

But, what I find concerning is that the refs are uneven.

Kadri with a breakaway and gets hauled down no call.

Lucic picked in the D zone.

We get called twice on very weak calls.

Not even considering what was let go.

Jeez we dominate 80% of the game.

All the no calls in the 1st when we totally outplayed then.  Not one penalty.

Crappy call on the hold, the no call on Markstrom and then called 2 mins for an embelisheed dive in OT.   Zebras unbelievable.

Should taken this one though.

4 hours ago, rocketdoctor said:

Jeez we dominate 80% of the game.

All the no calls in the 1st when we totally outplayed then.  Not one penalty.

Crappy call on the hold, the no call on Markstrom and then called 2 mins for an embelisheed dive in OT.   Zebras unbelievable.

Should taken this one though.

As much as I hate the OT call, it was more of a penalty than the one Lindholm got last game.

The non call on taking down Markstrom and the trip on Kadri's breakaway were maddening.

The NJ game was similar in the ratio of calls for the other team.

The sprit of Wideman lives on.

It seems that East teams need the refs to protect them from the big bad Flames.

15 hours ago, LouCifer said:

If I’m not mistaken, I think it was Mange’s guy… and the same thing happened with Mange in a previous game. He’s gotta get his details ironed out, but he is playing with 2 different linemates this year. It’ll come. I’m more concerned with the play of our defence. Very discombobulated, lack of awareness and urgency, lots of puck watching… seems like if Tanev doesn’t play we’ve got 6 first-time NHLers on the back end. 

Happy to see Hubie screening on the Lindy goal, and Lindy getting his 2nd goal in 2 games I believe. 

GFG! 

Had a chance to review this AM and on that goal that was actually Kadri's man. 

Things actually look good upon the entry. Flames play man to man so you see 3 Flames on 3 Islanders and the 4th man, who wound up scoring, is the responsibility of the backchecker (Kadri). From another angle you can see that Kadri never got goal side of his man so there should have been communication back to Mang (maybe there was and it was just late) that he didn't have him and Mang should pick him up. 

I'll chalk this up to a communication breakdown, which is the theme i'm seeing in the Flames d zone play this year. It was a 4-3 play for the Islanders so that, and a nifty play by Barzal, I think causes some panic for the Flames. 

Flames have been very susceptible to 3-2 or 4-3 plays so far this year. 

Capture.PNG

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Had a chance to review this AM and on that goal that was actually Kadri's man. 

Things actually look good upon the entry. Flames play man to man so you see 3 Flames on 3 Islanders and the 4th man, who wound up scoring, is the responsibility of the backchecker (Kadri). From another angle you can see that Kadri never got goal side of his man so there should have been communication back to Mang (maybe there was and it was just late) that he didn't have him and Mang should pick him up. 

I'll chalk this up to a communication breakdown, which is the theme i'm seeing in the Flames d zone play this year. It was a 4-3 play for the Islanders so that, and a nifty play by Barzal, I think causes some panic for the Flames. 

Flames have been very susceptible to 3-2 or 4-3 plays so far this year.

Good analysis.  This and the previous game, Kadri and Mangiapane seem to get crossed up on who covers who.

Perhaps this is a function of playing with different style players.

Last year, Mange was at his best playing with Backlund, who always knows where his man is.

That took pressure of Mange to focus on one guy and let Backlund tell him of any switch.

Who knows.

It's concerning, when we get in this situation, but there is some other things going on that lead to it.

Seeing too many risky entries where the pass across is too shallow.

Puck hits a skate or deflected by a stick and the other team is off to the races.

Seems to happen a lot 5v5.

Mostly from the top 6.

You mentioned the 4th line getting a lot of minutes, which is also concerning.

They are good at one thing, forechecking.

When the play is in our zone, it's an entire shift of not getting it out.

Some good pressure on the other team, but failure to make a simple exit.

As well, you can't really ask them to score goals much.

Best you can hope for is wearing down the other team on a shift.

And allow next up to build on it.

4 hours ago, travel_dude said:

As much as I hate the OT call, it was more of a penalty than the one Lindholm got last game.

The non call on taking down Markstrom and the trip on Kadri's breakaway were maddening.

The NJ game was similar in the ratio of calls for the other team.

The sprit of Wideman lives on.

It seems that East teams need the refs to protect them from the big bad Flames.

More maddening was that the Isles commentators called both of those dives.