Kylington/Ruzicka

conundrumed

On 1/10/2023 at 7:24 PM, robrob74 said:

frank Servelli was on the fan and he told Pat that he was in the Players' Assistance Program and continuing treatment. My bet is counselling/therapy. Maybe that injury did something to his brain, or was scary...

I'm not stating this is the case for anyone that enters the program, but the wealth of painkillers prescribed like candy in pro sports is really kept in the shadows.

When someone speaks out about it, others join in support. Then that storyline is battered down within a week or 2, at most.

We celebrate guys being "tough" by playing through stuff and doing everything for the team, but never ask, "How"? We aren't numb to pain. If we are, it's likely something else doing that. Then it becomes part of that individual's life. This is a massive problem in pro sports that hides in the shadows.

Let alone the matter of having to isolate everyone in your life away from the general public and social media.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

I'm not stating this is the case for anyone that enters the program, but the wealth of painkillers prescribed like candy in pro sports is really kept in the shadows.

When someone speaks out about it, others join in support. Then that storyline is battered down within a week or 2, at most.

We celebrate guys being "tough" by playing through stuff and doing everything for the team, but never ask, "How"? We aren't numb to pain. If we are, it's likely something else doing that. Then it becomes part of that individual's life. This is a massive problem in pro sports that hides in the shadows.

Let alone the matter of having to isolate everyone in your life away from the general public and social media.

It's a massive problem in pro sports.  I lost my brother to this some years ago (clearly more athletic than me).   Everyone knows it, but when you get injured, you take that risk.    Everyone taught mind over matter so they just take it.    Even though at the same time I do suspect professional athletes may have a higher occurrence off addictive personalities due to the single focus level required.   Or may be not.  Chicken/egg.   

You chose a good thread for this, many teams have lots of younger players who need time in the NHL but veterans are often rushed back.   A little different here Kylington being something inbetween a prospect and veteran himself, but if there was some way to have a level playing field where all the players health was respected and they were allowed to recover properly from injuries, you'd have a lot less recurrences, a lot less player assistance situations, better retirement transitions, better prospect development and better hockey.      

Concussions have rightfully taken the forefront, 30 years too late, and that's still in its infancy.   Hopefully this is next.     We have referees on the ice, maybe we need off-ice ones.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Okay, I get that there is little news and one story from FS.  The things you mentioned describe a systemic problem in pro sports.

It was first described as a family issue and he was back in Sweden dealing with it.

There are many family situations that can result in needing to be at "home".

Most large organizations have Employee Assistance programs, so that is everything from personal tragedy to family trauma to addictions.

Anyway, my hope (and belief) is that Kyl is ready for late January.

We had depth that disappeared and Sutter is unwilling to use Meloche or Mackey.

Using Stone in limited minutes is overusing the top pair.

2 hours ago, jjgallow said:

but if there was some way to have a level playing field where all the players health was respected and they were allowed to recover properly from injuries, you'd have a lot less recurrences, a lot less player assistance situations, better retirement transitions, better prospect development and better hockey.      

Concussions have rightfully taken the forefront, 30 years too late, and that's still in its infancy.   Hopefully this is next.     We have referees on the ice, maybe we need off-ice ones.

But then you'd have no Crime In Sports podcast, and that has provided close to 1000 hours of hilarious content.

Love.

11 hours ago, jjgallow said:

It's a massive problem in pro sports.  I lost my brother to this some years ago (clearly more athletic than me).   Everyone knows it, but when you get injured, you take that risk.    Everyone taught mind over matter so they just take it.    Even though at the same time I do suspect professional athletes may have a higher occurrence off addictive personalities due to the single focus level required.   Or may be not.  Chicken/egg.   

You chose a good thread for this, many teams have lots of younger players who need time in the NHL but veterans are often rushed back.   A little different here Kylington being something inbetween a prospect and veteran himself, but if there was some way to have a level playing field where all the players health was respected and they were allowed to recover properly from injuries, you'd have a lot less recurrences, a lot less player assistance situations, better retirement transitions, better prospect development and better hockey.      

I’m sorry to hear that, a loss is a loss no matter how it comes about. I’m sorry this is close to you. 🍻

• Like 2