Jets @ FLAMES - Monday 21 February 2022

rocketdoctor

So, the top PP unit included Toffee and Mony moved to the 2nd unit.

Backlund moved off completely.

I wouldn't call it freat execution of any of the units, but Mange connected on Monahan on a rush,

End result one PP goal.

It's going to take some time to get Toffee into the systems.

He's a better possession player than Monahan, but we only have one C out there.

Monahan on the 2nd unit is smart.

They lacked a good shot.

Well, Mange is a good shot, but doesn't have the same size to do it in the slot.

I'm not sure the best setup with Toffee on the top unit.

Aching to see his one timer on the left circle.

Not sure how to set that up with Johnny trolling the left side.

1-3-1 with possession?

Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Toffoli-Lindholm

Ras?

The problem with that is we have zero RHS on the 2nd unit.

13 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So, the top PP unit included Toffee and Mony moved to the 2nd unit.

Backlund moved off completely.

I wouldn't call it freat execution of any of the units, but Mange connected on Monahan on a rush,

End result one PP goal.

It's going to take some time to get Toffee into the systems.

He's a better possession player than Monahan, but we only have one C out there.

Monahan on the 2nd unit is smart.

They lacked a good shot.

Well, Mange is a good shot, but doesn't have the same size to do it in the slot.

I'm not sure the best setup with Toffee on the top unit.

Aching to see his one timer on the left circle.

Not sure how to set that up with Johnny trolling the left side.

1-3-1 with possession?

Tkachuk

Gaudreau-Toffoli-Lindholm

Ras?

The problem with that is we have zero RHS on the 2nd unit.

I'd counter that it's a good problem to have TD :) We now have the pieces for 2 proper power play units. Backlund being removed from PP2 will be instrumental for us - not only for the shots to the goalie's chest - but the fact that he now gets a break from play, he doesn't have to be counted on as heavily to produce offence, and he can stay fresh defensively for us. I've always subscribed to the idea that your top 6 should be effective PP players, and your bottom 6 should be effective PK players. It allows rest on both sides of special teams and keeps the troops fresh. 

2 hours ago, LouCifer said:

I'd counter that it's a good problem to have TD :) We now have the pieces for 2 proper power play units. Backlund being removed from PP2 will be instrumental for us - not only for the shots to the goalie's chest - but the fact that he now gets a break from play, he doesn't have to be counted on as heavily to produce offence, and he can stay fresh defensively for us. I've always subscribed to the idea that your top 6 should be effective PP players, and your bottom 6 should be effective PK players. It allows rest on both sides of special teams and keeps the troops fresh. 

I've often thought the PP was loaded up on one unit, leaving the 2nd unit wanting.

We currently deploy Kylington almost like a forward, though I think his shot is better from the point than Hanifin.  But with Monahan on the 2nd unit you saw immediate results.  Monahan sprung for a clear shot to the net.  When was the last time Monahan had a clear shot period?  

I think it's good to tinker with the PP units myself.  Backlund was only there to win draws.  Monahan can do that in his place.  I just wonder if we need a RHS on the 2nd unit.  I'm okay in giving the last deployment a try.  See if that extra RHS add to the scoring.  I might go with a modified setup though.

Tkachuk

Toffoli-Lindholm-Gaudreau

Ras

The new setup has Gaudreau moving around on RW and has less behind the net, around the boards passes.  Lindholm is the slot player and Tkachuk net front.  Toffoli is the one timer option from LW.  Ras has to cover the right boards.  Less around the horn, more targeted to net and one timers.  Gaudreau's shot from RW is more dangerous.