2018 development camp

Cowtownguy

23 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Believe it starts July 4th

Hopefully, they post something about it on the main page. I would like to see the scrimmage again. Foo made an amazing play last year. That dude really showed some moves. Valimaki and Tuulola were impressive too.

45 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

Hopefully, they post something about it on the main page. I would like to see the scrimmage again. Foo made an amazing play last year. That dude really showed some moves. Valimaki and Tuulola were impressive too.

The last couple of years they announced it on the Flames site a day or two before, so it should be out pretty quick.  Of course, things might change up a bit with new coaches, we will see.  I agree the scrimmage was fun, and I also enjoyed several of the practice drills as well.  

They need to audition some players for when they go to China, I think they might also be looking at some depth for Stockton.

One name that jumped off the page aside from the Flames property is David Jankowski, Mark's younger brother. 

11 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

They need to audition some players for when they go to China, I think they might also be looking at some depth for Stockton.

One name that jumped off the page aside from the Flames property is David Jankowski, Mark's younger brother. 

The guys that slipped through the draft are ones to keep an eye on as well.

Tuulola is coming?

Some of the other guys from across the pond that are Flames property.

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

Quite a few NCAA guys with eligibility left. Could be an early and closer look at guys they want to target as FA like they did with Foo.

Morgan and Galadja look intriguing. Galadja seems to tear up wherever he goes

So the obvious thing is these guys are here on their own dime.

Another Janko?  I don;t recognize the league.  What is the CCHL?

I like the idea of inviting some of these guys because it gives us a leg up should we decide to sign them.

2 hours ago, travel_dude said:

So the obvious thing is these guys are here on their own dime.

Another Janko?  I don;t recognize the league.  What is the CCHL?

I like the idea of inviting some of these guys because it gives us a leg up should we decide to sign them.

Junior A league. Central Canadian Hockey League

I'd expect we sign a player or two this week at camp as we had very few picks this past draft

Few prospects that caught my eye:

NCAA
LW Erik Brown age 22. Just finished his 3rd year at RIT 42 points in 37 games including 29 goals. I'd circle back after his college season ends try to sign if he has another good season.

G Matt Galajda age 20. In first season at Cornell had a 1.51 GAA and .939SV% in 29 games. His stat line is very impressive dating back to his high school hockey. We haven't drafted a goalie in a while, after his season ends he could be worth a contract

CHL

LHD Jake Christiansen age 18, late 99 birthday. 31 points with WHL Everett. We didn't draft a D this year so I wonder if he gets offered a deal

LHD Merrick Rippon age 18 2000 born. 22 points split between Missisauga and Ottawa. Both these players were draft eligible so I wonder if we sign them since they are still young prospects. It's the 20 year old CHLers I would rather stay away from since their #'s usually are inflated.

6 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

I'd expect we sign a player or two this week at camp as we had very few picks this past draft

Few prospects that caught my eye:

NCAA
LW Erik Brown age 22. Just finished his 3rd year at RIT 42 points in 37 games including 29 goals. I'd circle back after his college season ends try to sign if he has another good season.

G Matt Galajda age 20. In first season at Cornell had a 1.51 GAA and .939SV% in 29 games. His stat line is very impressive dating back to his high school hockey. We haven't drafted a goalie in a while, after his season ends he could be worth a contract

CHL

LHD Jake Christiansen age 18, late 99 birthday. 31 points with WHL Everett. We didn't draft a D this year so I wonder if he gets offered a deal

LHD Merrick Rippon age 18 2000 born. 22 points split between Missisauga and Ottawa. Both these players were draft eligible so I wonder if we sign them since they are still young prospects. It's the 20 year old CHLers I would rather stay away from since their #'s usually are inflated.

Both NCAA guys are interesting.

May be difficult to attract Brown, when he will get the choice of any team next year.

But, we did express interest, so that may give us first crack.

Galajda might be even more difficult, and he just has one year so far.

In his rookie year, he posted better numbers than Gillies.

I like the sound of Rippon.  Scouting report:

At 6’1” Rippon has decent size for a defender. He is a very good skater who gets to top speed very quickly. He possesses strong edges, very good lateral movement and switches smoothly to skating backwards.  Defensively Rippon plays very calm, seemingly never to get rattled or buckle under pressure. His skating allows him to close gaps very quickly. He’s not afraid to throw a hit to separate the player from the puck. He also uses a very active stick to take away lanes and positions his body in the right places.

Rippon can clear his zone with an excellent first pass. He is capable of slowing the pace down and waiting for options to open up and can then stretch the ice. His skating also allows him to skate out of danger or rush the puck up the ice.

Also to be considerd is Jake Christiansen out of Everett.  Only 18 years old.  

Borrowed from CP.

This was posted by "Ring of Fire":

"Was there today. Mostly skill development but here are some observations:

Development Camp

Goaltenders

31 - Matthew Galajda - Cornell University (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Smaller goalie. Looked good but hard to evaluate.

40- Fazio - Free Agent Invite
-Smaller goalie. Ok.

82 - Tyler Parsons - Kansas City Mavericks/Stockton Heat (ECHL/AHL)
-Not on the ice

72 - Mason McDonald - Kansas City Mavericks/Stockton Heat (ECHL/AHL)
-Big. Played positionally.

70 - Nick Schneider - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
-Big. Active stick. Looked confident.

Defencemen

57 - Jake Christiansen - Everett Silvertips (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-A few good plays. Otherwise didn’t stand out.

96 - Dalton Hamaliuk - Spokane Chiefs (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-A few good plays. Physical.

85 - Josh Healey - Stockton Heat (AHL)
-Looked steady positionally. Not much opportunity to showcase his physicality.

51 - Joel Lakusta - Prince George Cougars (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out.

98 - Igor Merezhko - Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Big. Physical. Handled the puck like a bomb.

73 - Brayden Pachal - Prince Albert Raiders (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out

87 - Merrick Rippon - Mississauga Steelheads/Ottawa 67's (OHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Probably the best showing of the defenceman invited. Nothing flashy, but good hockey sense, and a real battler out there.

42 - Juuso Valimaki - Tri-City Americans (WHL)
-Clearly the best defenceman. Easily and calmly broke up plays defensively. Crisp passes, smooth skating, excellent puck handling. One play during 3-on-3 he deked through all 3 guys and scored a beauty goal.

92 - Egor Zamula - Calgary Hitmen (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Big. Not great otherwise.

86 - Bogdon Zhilyakov - MHK St. Petersburg (MHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Best offensive skills of the invites. Smaller but tough. Good shot that he could get through traffic, passing. 

Forwards

74 - Erik Brown - Rochester Institute of Technology (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Big, strong, but didn’t show as much offensively as expected based on his stats.

94 - Callum Cusinato - St. Lawerence University (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Looked terrible at times but also had some nice shots.

59 - Dillon Dube - Kelowna Rockets (WHL)
-Smooth fast skating, quickest and best puck handler of the forewards. Great 2-way hockey sense. He shone in every drill. He should make a push in training camp. 

50 - Yasin Ehliz - Numerberg Tigers (DEL)
-One of the more polished players out there. Feisty, agitator, never backed down from anyone. It will be interesting to see what role he fills in Stockton.

97 - Jordan Ernst - Sarnia Sting (OHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out

48 - Zach Fischer - Medicine Hat Tigers/Spokane Chiefs (WHL)
-Big, physical, hard shot (accuracy suspect at times). Flashes of potential but you can see why only an AHL deal at this time.

16 - Spencer Foo - Stockton Heat (AHL)
-Confident. Fast. Great shot. Scored lots upstairs. Good in board battles. Interested to see him in training camp.

79 - Ben Freeman - University of Connecticut (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out

80 - Glenn Gawdin - Swift Current Broncos (WHL)
-Well-rounded but no attribute really stood out. Should adjust well to the AHL.

46 - David Jankowski - Hawkesbury Hawks (CCHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Hockey sense was there, battled hard. Did not have the speed to keep up with his skating or hands at times.

52 - D'Artagnan Joly - Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
-Didn’t see him out there

83 - Demetrios Koumontzis - Edina High (USHS-MIN)
-Low centre of gravity, similar skating style to Mangiapane, but not as fast. Relentless during puck battles. Best shot of the 2018 Flames draft class. 

95 - Jimmy Lambert - Vernon Vipers (BCHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Not a great showing.

81 - Linus Lindstrom - Skelleftea AIK (SHL)
-Good 2-way hockey sense. Not as much offensive skill shown as I had hoped, but never gave up on a play.

84 - Bobby McMann - Colgate University (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Most impressive of the invite forwards. Hard shot, good release, potted a few goals.

89 - Luke Morgan - University of Michigan (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Good effort and energy.

64 - Mathias Emilio Pettersen - Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
-Best playmaker and hockey sense of the 2018 Flames draft class. Had a knack for finding teammates for tap in goals. Definitely a pass first guy. Excellent puckhandling. Accurate shot but needs more strength.

47 - Matthew Phillips - Victoria Royals (WHL)
-Very quick, often first to the puck in one-on-one drills. Good playmaking but still gets bumped around by bigger guys in the corners.

60 - Brett Pollock - Stockton Heat (AHL)
-Complementary type player. Got some scoring chances when paired with Dube and Phillips. Likely AHL ceiling, but should have a decent year there.

76 - Martin Pospisil - Sioux City Musketeers (USHL)
-Didn’t show too well but you could see the agitator in him during every drill. Hard to evaluate as I think a scrimmage would really showcase how he impacts a game.

65 - Milos Roman - Vancouver Giants (WHL)
-Looks like a smaller Morgan Klimchuk type player. Well-rounded, quick, good hockey sense.

63 - Adam Ruzicka - Sarnia Sting (OHL)
-Strong play in front of the net, good release from in close. Definitely a finisher who thrives playing with skilled players. Doesn’t create much on his own.

62 - Fillip Sveningsson - HV71 U20 (SuperElit)
-Excellent puckhandling skills, soft hands, quick release, accurate, hard shot, good skater, good hockey sense both offensively and defensively. Very impressed in my first viewing.

75 - Eetu Tuulola - HPK (SM-Liiga)
-Big, strong, some playmaking ability, good hockey sense 

78 - Dmitry Zavgorodniy - Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
-Small, sleight, quick skater, shifty, quick release, accurate shot, good finisher. Lots of skill but can he overcome the lack of size."

10 minutes ago, 420since1974 said:

Borrowed from CP.

This was posted by "Ring of Fire":

"Was there today. Mostly skill development but here are some observations:

Development Camp

Goaltenders

31 - Matthew Galajda - Cornell University (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Smaller goalie. Looked good but hard to evaluate.

40- Fazio - Free Agent Invite
-Smaller goalie. Ok.

82 - Tyler Parsons - Kansas City Mavericks/Stockton Heat (ECHL/AHL)
-Not on the ice

72 - Mason McDonald - Kansas City Mavericks/Stockton Heat (ECHL/AHL)
-Big. Played positionally.

70 - Nick Schneider - Calgary Hitmen (WHL)
-Big. Active stick. Looked confident.

Defencemen

57 - Jake Christiansen - Everett Silvertips (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-A few good plays. Otherwise didn’t stand out.

96 - Dalton Hamaliuk - Spokane Chiefs (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-A few good plays. Physical.

85 - Josh Healey - Stockton Heat (AHL)
-Looked steady positionally. Not much opportunity to showcase his physicality.

51 - Joel Lakusta - Prince George Cougars (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out.

98 - Igor Merezhko - Lethbridge Hurricanes (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Big. Physical. Handled the puck like a bomb.

-Didn’t stand out

87 - Merrick Rippon - Mississauga Steelheads/Ottawa 67's (OHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Probably the best showing of the defenceman invited. Nothing flashy, but good hockey sense, and a real battler out there.

-Clearly the best defenceman. Easily and calmly broke up plays defensively. Crisp passes, smooth skating, excellent puck handling. One play during 3-on-3 he deked through all 3 guys and scored a beauty goal.

92 - Egor Zamula - Calgary Hitmen (WHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Big. Not great otherwise.

86 - Bogdon Zhilyakov - MHK St. Petersburg (MHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Best offensive skills of the invites. Smaller but tough. Good shot that he could get through traffic, passing. 

Forwards

74 - Erik Brown - Rochester Institute of Technology (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Big, strong, but didn’t show as much offensively as expected based on his stats.

94 - Callum Cusinato - St. Lawerence University (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Looked terrible at times but also had some nice shots.

-Smooth fast skating, quickest and best puck handler of the forewards. Great 2-way hockey sense. He shone in every drill. He should make a push in training camp. 

-One of the more polished players out there. Feisty, agitator, never backed down from anyone. It will be interesting to see what role he fills in Stockton.

97 - Jordan Ernst - Sarnia Sting (OHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out

-Big, physical, hard shot (accuracy suspect at times). Flashes of potential but you can see why only an AHL deal at this time.

-Confident. Fast. Great shot. Scored lots upstairs. Good in board battles. Interested to see him in training camp.

79 - Ben Freeman - University of Connecticut (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Didn’t stand out

-Well-rounded but no attribute really stood out. Should adjust well to the AHL.

-Hockey sense was there, battled hard. Did not have the speed to keep up with his skating or hands at times.

52 - D'Artagnan Joly - Baie-Comeau Drakkar (QMJHL)
-Didn’t see him out there

83 - Demetrios Koumontzis - Edina High (USHS-MIN)
-Low centre of gravity, similar skating style to Mangiapane, but not as fast. Relentless during puck battles. Best shot of the 2018 Flames draft class. 

95 - Jimmy Lambert - Vernon Vipers (BCHL) - Free Agent Invite
-Not a great showing.

81 - Linus Lindstrom - Skelleftea AIK (SHL)
-Good 2-way hockey sense. Not as much offensive skill shown as I had hoped, but never gave up on a play.

84 - Bobby McMann - Colgate University (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Most impressive of the invite forwards. Hard shot, good release, potted a few goals.

89 - Luke Morgan - University of Michigan (NCAA) - Free Agent Invite
-Good effort and energy.

64 - Mathias Emilio Pettersen - Muskegon Lumberjacks (USHL)
-Best playmaker and hockey sense of the 2018 Flames draft class. Had a knack for finding teammates for tap in goals. Definitely a pass first guy. Excellent puckhandling. Accurate shot but needs more strength.

-Very quick, often first to the puck in one-on-one drills. Good playmaking but still gets bumped around by bigger guys in the corners.

60 - Brett Pollock - Stockton Heat (AHL)
-Complementary type player. Got some scoring chances when paired with Dube and Phillips. Likely AHL ceiling, but should have a decent year there.

-Didn’t show too well but you could see the agitator in him during every drill. Hard to evaluate as I think a scrimmage would really showcase how he impacts a game.

65 - Milos Roman - Vancouver Giants (WHL)
-Looks like a smaller Morgan Klimchuk type player. Well-rounded, quick, good hockey sense.

63 - Adam Ruzicka - Sarnia Sting (OHL)
-Strong play in front of the net, good release from in close. Definitely a finisher who thrives playing with skilled players. Doesn’t create much on his own.

62 - Fillip Sveningsson - HV71 U20 (SuperElit)
-Excellent puckhandling skills, soft hands, quick release, accurate, hard shot, good skater, good hockey sense both offensively and defensively. Very impressed in my first viewing.

-Big, strong, some playmaking ability, good hockey sense 

78 - Dmitry Zavgorodniy - Rimouski Oceanic (QMJHL)
-Small, sleight, quick skater, shifty, quick release, accurate shot, good finisher. Lots of skill but can he overcome the lack of size."

THX 420

3 hours ago, 420since1974 said:

Borrowed from 420.... Observations from attendance today.

Defencemen

Several excellent shots, one of the better invites.

Seemed to have good compete, made a few good plays.

Clearly the best defenceman, sizeable, great skating and poise with the puck.

Forwards

Clearly one of the best, in all areas. 

One of the best in first on-ice session. Gap control excellent, hard on the puck and aggressiveness outstanding.

Good physicality and compete.

Clearly the best player all day.  Fast, quick, focused, majority of shots on net (unfortunately not all that common elsewhere), majority shots scored.  Great battle and compete and at the front of the pack getting instructions from staff.

Very well-rounded, excellent at boxing out.

Good effort, hockey sense and shot.

Excellent skating edges and puck control.

Good size, good skating.

Skating edges not the best, but utilizes his size quite well.  

11 hours ago, cccsberg said:

Were you trying to point something out by bolding these 4 ? I would say Valimaki, Dube and Foo should stand out from this group. Ehliz is a LW I would like to see more of because his track record with Germany speaks well for him.

1 hour ago, MAC331 said:

Were you trying to point something out by bolding these 4 ? I would say Valimaki, Dube and Foo should stand out from this group. Ehliz is a LW I would like to see more of because his track record with Germany speaks well for him.

Yes, bolded guys were the ones that really shone throughout, the others I listed had a couple moments.  All the rest not so much.  One key impression was that the majority of guys shooting miss the net.  They would do the drill, take a shot and miss the net by a mile.  Seems like a lack of concentration and focus.  The one exception to that was Foo.  He was "on" all morning, 90+% of his shots hit the net and he probably scored half the goals, period.  Foo was clearly head and shoulders above the rest yesterday.  It'll be interesting to see if that carries through today and Sunday.

Archived