Matt Duchene traded?

Cowtownguy

2 minutes ago, Cowtownguy said:

They just reported on SN that Matt Duchene has been traded. No details were provided at all. Has anyone heard anything? I am interested in what the Avs got for him given how long this saga went on for.

Friedman reporting Turris going to COL as part of the package. But earlier this week it was reported COL didn't want Turris, hence the 3 way deal, wonder if we see a corresponding move.

2 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Friedman reporting Turris going to COL as part of the package. But earlier this week it was reported COL didn't want Turris, hence the 3 way deal, wonder if we see a corresponding move.

Sounds like the original deal is going through, Turris to NSH, Duchene to OTT and COL gets picks/prospects

5 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Sounds like the original deal is going through, Turris to NSH, Duchene to OTT and COL gets picks/prospects

Looks like you are correct. If this is not a sweet deal for Colorado, I would assume that ownership will be choked. This dragged on for too long.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

Looks like you are correct. If this is not a sweet deal for Colorado, I would assume that ownership will be choked. This dragged on for too long.

You'd have to think they'd at least be getting a couple 1st rounders and couple solid prospects. Look forward to seeing the final details, I love big trades!

49 minutes ago, Thebrewcrew said:

Heck of a haul for COL, LHD Sam Girard, C prospect Vlad Kamenev, 2017 OTT 1st rounder Shane Bowers, Andrew Hammond, 1st and 3rd rounder

Off the top of my head, that does look pretty good. Colorado has lost a solid player and banked on the future big time. 

People (posters/media)  talk blockbusters but then exchange only prospects that might do better elsewhere (sideway trade) & picks.

This is a true blockbuster as it changes the face of all 3 teams.

I consider Duchene the best player moved but if Turris (already re-signed @ 6 x 6 soon as the word went down) meshes in Nashville they add scoring without giving up any of their top D.

Colorado gets a truck load of futures that might help down the line.

To early to tell but my gut feeling is Ottawa improved slightly, Colorado bettered themselves for the future but an always dangerous Nashville improves the most. Poile isn't fooling around after getting so close last year.

I really don't get the thinking from Ottawa's stand point. A 1st, a 3rd, Bowers who just drafted 28th overall, Hammond and Turris for Duchene. That is a massive overpayment for a guy who only has 1 more year before he is a UFA. The difference between. Turris and Duchene is really insignificant. Ottawa better hope they can get Duchene signed to an extension or this trade gets even worse. 

Nashville did well to get Turris and get him signed.  He slots in really nice in behind Johansen.

Colorado did well to recoup some nice prospects and picks. Girard is looking like a dangerous offensive defenseman.

23 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

I really don't get the thinking from Ottawa's stand point. A 1st, a 3rd, Bowers who just drafted 28th overall, Hammond and Turris for Duchene. That is a massive overpayment for a guy who only has 1 more year before he is a UFA. The difference between. Turris and Duchene is really insignificant. Ottawa better hope they can get Duchene signed to an extension or this trade gets even worse. 

Nashville did well to get Turris and get him signed.  He slots in really nice in behind Johansen.

Colorado did well to recoup some nice prospects and picks. Girard is looking like a dangerous offensive defenseman.

Two firsts, a third, Hammond, and Turris is really high. I thought Turris slotted in quite nicely in Ottawa. 

35 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Well this year & the next. I guess it depends on the ask from the Duchene camp. To avoid the constant trade talk he lived under for the last few years (that must play with your mind) he might well re-up come July 1 in a place much closer to home unless low balled. Newly married he might want to put down roots. I'd imagine a NMC/NTC to be part of the re-sign.

I do see Duchene as the best player moved but the Sens paid a lot to upgrade a bit.

I figure Nashville gave up little to get Turris (who promtly re-signed). They got better while keeping their team intact.

How the Avalanche did is something we'll find out in about 3-5 years. Depends how fast the prospects develop &  who they use the picks on.

1 minute ago, Pyromancer said:

Always had a dislike for Turris after his RFA holdout over "rumoured" $$ & subsequent trade request from the Yotes.

The sense of entitlement rubbed me the wrong way.

Same but after losing the Patrick Kane lottery I'd have sooner the Flyers took Turris over JVR. In Philly the Turris attitude would have likely been different & I saw JVR as having a worse attitude.

If in charge I'd have probably traded down a tad but messed up by taking Alzner or Ellerby (given my like of D) instead of Couture or Shattenkirk. :o

Ce la vie. Can't change history.

1 hour ago, Pyromancer said:

Always had a dislike for Turris after his RFA holdout over "rumoured" $$ & subsequent trade request from the Yotes.

From what I have read, the Sens' negotiations with the Turris camp were not going well at all. That does not explain the overall price Ottawa paid. I would have thought that Turris, a 1st round pick, and a goodish prospect would have been sufficient.

Just now, Cowtownguy said:

From what I have read, the Sens' negotiations with the Turris camp were not going well at all. That does not explain the overall price Ottawa paid. I would have thought that Turris, a 1st round pick, and a goodish prospect would have been sufficient.

Yes..Duchene is good but I think he was overvalued by OTT based on the cost.

Can you imagine what CGY would have had to give up. No thank you!

Two whiny crybabies (present & past) who didn't want to play for their respective teams anymore.

Don't any of you Flames dare try this or for that matter prospects too (ala Tim Erixon). You'll miss imbibing from Lord Stanley's Mug! B)

Sakic took a lot of heat on how he handled that but I think he deserves a lot of credit, this is a really nice deal for Colorado. It isn't often you could turn 1 player into 4 or 5 future asset so that is pretty impressive.

i understand why Ottawa dealt Turris as I wouldn't want to sign him to that contract either, that was an overpay imo. Nashville gave up a fair bit but they were really lacking at centr so I get it but all in all I really only like thi deal for Colorado and I think it's so/so for Nashville and Ottawa. 

A well written summary of the trade

Believe it: Maligned Colorado Avalanche GM Joe Sakic won the Matt Duchene trade - Greg Wyshynski ESPN

[Excerpt]

For Matt Duchene, the Avalanche acquired seven assets.

We repeat: seven assets.

From the Ottawa Senators, they acquired Shane Bowers, an 18-year-old Boston University center they drafted No. 28 overall in 2017; Andrew Hammond, the 29-year-old pending free agent goalie who is two years removed from a 20-1-2 run that put Ottawa in the playoffs; as well as first-round and third-round picks. Nashville gave Sakic slick-skating 19-year-old offensive defenseman Samuel Girard (No. 47 overall, 2016), 21-year-old forward Vladislav Kamenev (No. 42 overall, 2014) and a second-round pick.

To put this in perspective: According to ESPN's system rankings this season, the Avalanche just acquired the second- and third-best prospects from the Predators, and the fourth-best prospect from the Senators, along with a first, second and third.

[Excerpt]

Joe Sakic won the Matt Duchene trade.

File that under "Words we didn't expect to read, ever."

11 hours ago, Pyromancer said:

Dont forget Duchene requested a trade as well - mind you, he handled it better by showing up to camp and playing for the Avs (not holding out). 

Even though Sakic dealt for futures, I am very impressed with how much he got for a single player. Wow. Yes, Ottawa gave up a lot in this trade, but they see a Stanley Cup window open and they didn't give up their best prospects. Dorion wanted Duchene bad. Hopefully for Ottawa Duchene's play can rebound back into form. Before the trade, I had no idea Duchene was close to 60% in the face off circle... Ottawa's possession metrics should go up as a result of this trade as well it seems. 

The details I saw on TSN again reinforce how hard 3 way trades are. They call it technically 2 trades with an agreement with Nashville in place should Sakic pull the trigger on the Ottawa trade.

They seem to think Sakic got every thing he wanted but IMO even though Girard might be that top 4 D expected/hoped for he is still a prospect.

Again Oberhart strikes as apparently he wanted a 7-8 year contract from the Sens but settled for 6 when dealing with Poile (who can be a hard (.) himself).

Any GM trying to re-sign an Oberhart client might be best off starting with a bare bones offer & suggesting trading said client to the worst team in the league. If trades were allowed between the NHL & KHL even threaten to trade him to Siberia. :rolleyes:

The fact Turris was willing to do a 6 year deal right away but only told the Sens 7 year minimum tells me that Turris wasn't very keen on staying in Ottawa so he leveraged himself out of town. 

Still makes the situation most intriguing for the Senators I think. Being 2 years younger I can could understand why they would be more comfortable giving Duchene 7-8 year term over Turris and that being part of the motivation of the trade but boy you better hope Duchene is a good fit and you can even contemplate signing him for that long given what you gave up. 

Good chance this trade works out for all 3 parties, but more you think about it the more you wonder about Ottawa's motivation in all of this. Gave up a lot to only marginally improve. Althought I can see a bit where they are coming from. Duchene's speed, acceleration and scoring ability make him a great fit for Boucher's trap style and he did have alot of success in a similar system under Patrick Roy. 

6 minutes ago, cross16 said:

The fact Turris was willing to do a 6 year deal right away but only told the Sens 7 year minimum tells me that Turris wasn't very keen on staying in Ottawa so he leveraged himself out of town. 

Still makes the situation most intriguing for the Senators I think. Being 2 years younger I can could understand why they would be more comfortable giving Duchene 7-8 year term over Turris and that being part of the motivation of the trade but boy you better hope Duchene is a good fit and you can even contemplate signing him for that long given what you gave up. 

Good chance this trade works out for all 3 parties, but more you think about it the more you wonder about Ottawa's motivation in all of this. Gave up a lot to only marginally improve. 

Turris came out and said that he was never offered a 6 year deal from Ottawa either.

2 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Turris came out and said that he was never offered a 6 year deal from Ottawa either.

And Dorion has said Turris' camp never put it on the table..

Dorion:

It's confusing to some fans and it's confusing to me too because that was never brought on the table," said Dorion of the six-year deal. "Only seven and eight year deals were discussed with the Ottawa Senators."

http://www.tsn.ca/dorion-believes-duchene-is-the-top-6-forward-to-take-sens-to-the-next-level-1.906965

From Turris:

“To be honest,” he eventually said, “a six-year deal was never put on the table. It was very apparent things weren’t going to work out in Ottawa.” http://www.sportsnet.ca/hockey/nhl/31-thoughts-inside-matt-duchene-kyle-turris-blockbuster/

Sounds to me like they had different views of the value of the player and Turris wanted out because of it. I know Friedman has been hinting for a while that negotiations weren't going well. 

2 minutes ago, cross16 said:

And Dorion has said Turris' camp never put it on the table..

Sounds to me like they had different views of the value of the player and Turris wanted out because of it. I know Friedman has been hinting for a while that negotiations weren't going well. 

Oh I don't doubt that the negotiations were going sideways. I wonder if Boucher had anything to do with it, he doesn't seem like an easy coach to play for.

Either way they should have gotten way more value for Turris than what they ended up getting.

Archived