Matt Duchene traded?

Cowtownguy

3 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Oh I don't doubt that the negotiations were going sideways. I wonder if Boucher had anything to do with it, he doesn't seem like an easy coach to play for.

Either way they should have gotten way more value for Turris than what they ended up getting.

I guess it depends on if viewed as 2 trades or 1. If viewed as 2 inter-connected trades it means Turris, a 1st, 3rd,  recent late 1st round pick Bowers (IMO a borderline top 6) & a cap dump in Hammond (already in trade rumors) for a slight upgrade. Pretty expensive.

Nashville got a ready to sign Turris for a 2nd rounder, Girard (dang good prospect but with the Preds having a top 4 that are 26-28 unlikely to see the big time soon) & a decent prospect that can't crack a lineup that needs forwards. Colorado gets only futures despite Sakic demanding a top 4 D for the now, a prospect that is almost ready & high pick.

Either way the end result IMO is Ottawa avoids a wicked negotiation to keep Turris & got the best player. Nashville has a much better group of forwards while keeping the roster intact while Colorado threw away a season in search of tomorrow.

If Colorado dives deep enough they have a chance @ Dahlin who might be a top 4 to add to Girard but are now out of valable chips to trade for more picks unless ready to move 22 year old MacKinnon or 24 year old Landeskog (2 pieces to build around). Huge gamble by Sakic as even both 1st (with the Sens 1 guaranteed not to be top 10) combined with both 2nds are unlikely to be enough to get 1st OA from whoever wins the lottery.

Ottawa a tad stronger in swapping Turris for Duchene.

Nashville a lot stronger keeping their team intact while adding a top 6 forward. Looks to have cap space @ the deadline to add even more & when Ellis returns will be more deadly. Poile pulled the trigger on 3 big trades to add Subban, Johansen & now Turris. I wish Trotz was there to reap the benifits.

For Colorado it depends on what they have with the prospects & who those picks become. In 5 years it might have worked out great but it depends so much on the lottery & the unknown of those kids.

Archived