Maple Leaf physicals

Flyerfan52

28 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

I'm surprised there hasn't been a thread about this since 1st Jared Cowen & now Joffrey Lupul are disputing their failed physicals.

The insinuation of course is that Lamirillo/Shanahan are manipulating LTIR .

Thoughts?

I must have missed the news on that, but I would say it sure sounds like they are manipulating LTIR if that is the case.

But at the same time if they are that would mean they would have to pay off the doctor to write them unfit, which could have serious implications for alot of people. Im curious to see how that plays out.

Do I believe that NHL teams manipulate things like LTIR to gain cap room? Absolutely. 

However in Lupul's case its tough to come down hard on the Leafs. There are mechanisms in the CBA that allow him to appeal a failed physical and so far he has done nothing except post on instagram which makes me question his motives. If he wants to play he could file an appeal but most likely he would rather collect his full salary as opposed to the reduced salary he would get via a buyout. 

2 hours ago, The_People1 said:

What is his injury anyways?

Lupul seems to follow Brian Burke around... 

The latest is a sports hernia but his record of injuries cover dang near every moving part. Wrist, concussions, ankles, back, shoulder, groin, knee, hand & so forth. 701 NHL games in 12 years.

I remember being so frustrated with him on the Flyers. When healthy he was very talented & was dang good when he wanted to be.

************************************************************************************

You mention him following Burke around. The running gag until Chris Pronger retired was that when there was a rumor Pronger was being traded Lupul packed his bags (he was part of the return twice). :lol:

24 minutes ago, conundrumed said:

Not exactly shocking, Lupul apologizes.

He didn't cite his own semi-charmed, arrogant rich-kid stupidity, as he likely should have.

http://www.tsn.ca/lupul-apologizes-says-he-will-not-be-seeking-second-opinion-1.862262

So, shouldn't the NHL be the ones requesting the 2nd opinion?  TOR gets a free pass 

3 hours ago, cross16 said:

This.

Now he gets his full salary and doesn't have to play. Leafs could have forced a buyout and he'd be out 1/3. 

And the Leafs don't get cap relief and get stuck with his cap hit for this and next year.  

EDIT - The NHL will now seek an independent doctor determine if he is fit or not.

29 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

And the Leafs don't get cap relief and get stuck with his cap hit for this and next year.  

EDIT - The NHL will now seek an independent doctor determine if he is fit or not.

Thats the catch 22. The win-win is all of this Is what's happening. Lupul gets paid and leafs get LTIR allowance. Not the way it "should" be maybe but it's the reality. 

11 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Thats the catch 22. The win-win is all of this Is what's happening. Lupul gets paid and leafs get LTIR allowance. Not the way it "should" be maybe but it's the reality. 

Yup.

See my edit above.  Even if they find out the Leafs were cheating, I doubt they would face any penalties.  They would need to be compliant, but Lou probably is able to convince them to let it go.  It's the Leafs, after all.

26 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Yup.

See my edit above.  Even if they find out the Leafs were cheating, I doubt they would face any penalties.  They would need to be compliant, but Lou probably is able to convince them to let it go.  It's the Leafs, after all.

:lol:

We should have traded them Wideman after that referee kerfulle. He probably would have won the Lady Byng.

Archived