Brett Kulak

12 hours ago, travel_dude said:

No thread for the guy, except for one saying he was charged with assault.

Kulak signed a 1 year 2-way deal for $650k.  Isn't that less than we signed Grossmann for?

No sure why the comparison to Grossman but the rest makes sense for this season.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Cost comparison strictly.  Who would you rather have for that money?

I see what youre saying but grossman was signed for 575k  and kulak was signed for 656k last year anyways, I dont really see the comparison there. I dont want grossman on this team, but the contract made sense last year.

26 minutes ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

I see what youre saying but grossman was signed for 575k  and kulak was signed for 656k last year anyways, I dont really see the comparison there. I dont want grossman on this team, but the contract made sense last year.

Did it make sense?  First shift he plays, the Oilers score on.  The only value of signing the contract was to fully use Smid's LTIR value.  To me that was a complete waste of money.  Perhaps there was another PTO player that actually had value that they could have signed.

5 hours ago, travel_dude said:

Did it make sense?  First shift he plays, the Oilers score on.  The only value of signing the contract was to fully use Smid's LTIR value.  To me that was a complete waste of money.  Perhaps there was another PTO player that actually had value that they could have signed.

it didnt end up being an issue because we didnt really need to use the full value of the LTIR, but if big injuries happened or a trade presented itself it was nice room to have. Im sure if there was another PTO option the flames would have brought it in.

On to Kulak.

Does he realistically have the chance to be the LD on the 3rd pairing?  Maybe not as flashy a skater as Bart, but he makes fewer mistakes, IMHO.  I would be comfortable with the 5/6/7 guys being Stone, Kulak and Wotherspoon.  

He's waiver eligible. It's very possible that he would be claimed by some team.  

I doubt he gets claimed. Basically every organization has at least one if not more Kulak type dmen in their organization. he should have the inside track to at worst the 7th dman spot so if he plays poorly enough in preseason to be sent down I doubt very much he gets claimed and i think the fact this a two way tells you the Flmaes aren't that concerned. 

I think he should have the inside track to the number 6 dman and I expect him to win it. Only reason he won't is if he doesn't play well enough in camp. 

14 hours ago, cross16 said:

I doubt he gets claimed. Basically every organization has at least one if not more Kulak type dmen in their organization. he should have the inside track to at worst the 7th dman spot so if he plays poorly enough in preseason to be sent down I doubt very much he gets claimed and i think the fact this a two way tells you the Flmaes aren't that concerned. 

I think he should have the inside track to the number 6 dman and I expect him to win it. Only reason he won't is if he doesn't play well enough in camp. 

What did they do with Wotherspoon, is he also on a two way deal ? Likely should be at this stage.

3 hours ago, MAC331 said:

What did they do with Wotherspoon, is he also on a two way deal ? Likely should be at this stage.

He still isn't signed. if i remember correctly he was on a two way last year so I would assume he would likely be on one again this year. 

On 8/29/2017 at 9:48 PM, cross16 said:

I would think Bartkowski has the inside track on 3rd pair LD.  No?

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I would think Bartkowski has the inside track on 3rd pair LD.  No?

Probably depends on who you ask. I'm not really a fan of how he played last year and I thought Kulak out played him so IMO Kulak should have the inside track but your not wrong.  

34 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Probably depends on who you ask. I'm not really a fan of how he played last year and I thought Kulak out played him so IMO Kulak should have the inside track but your not wrong.  

Does Bartkowski have a one-way?  If so, contact wise, it signals he has the inside track.  Based on play though, ya Kulak is on the up and up while Bartkowski has regressed.

1 minute ago, The_People1 said:

Does Bartkowski have a one-way?  If so, contact wise, it signals he has the inside track.  Based on play though, ya Kulak is on the up and up while Bartkowski has regressed.

He does but in all likelihood the Flames will probably want 7 dmen so i'm not sure the 1 way versus 2 way would be a big factor.

But again you're probably right in that the organization would be penciling in Bartowski giving they could have played Kulak last year but chose to stick with Bart. I just don't agree with that and think Kulak should have the inside track and will be disappointed if he can't earn the job.  

1 hour ago, cross16 said:

He does but in all likelihood the Flames will probably want 7 dmen so i'm not sure the 1 way versus 2 way would be a big factor.

But again you're probably right in that the organization would be penciling in Bartowski giving they could have played Kulak last year but chose to stick with Bart. I just don't agree with that and think Kulak should have the inside track and will be disappointed if he can't earn the job.  

I was sure he signed a two way when he came in Bartkowski.

Archived