17/18 Calder Trophy Favourites

conundrumed

Who will be the 17/18 Calder winner as rookie of the year?

I'm not making a poll or list because I enjoy discussion.

So I'll start the argument...err discussion, with my top 2 guesses.

Both from the Arizona Coyotes:

1. Clayton Keller

2. Dylan Strome

And I don't see them on the same line 5v5...

.....Puljujarvi 3rd, sorry!

Who do you think will be the punk-checking from behind kid that up-ends the pack?

• 2 weeks later...
On 7/24/2017 at 8:16 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

PL Dubois

I can't believe how disinterested and non-threatening he was in the WJCSS. At his draft status I expected him to be at least kinda dominant.

Unfortunately ff, Logan Stanley looks like his skating hasn't improved much. Definitely a project.

On 7/27/2017 at 8:50 PM, cross16 said:

My early guesses would be either Nico Heisher or Charlie McAvoy

I forgot about McAvoy, nice one!

I also wonder who will have breakout seasons.

I suspect Bennett will, Konecny, Zacha. These are guys I had a lot of jr viewings of and have no doubt all 3 are solid NHLers.

On 7/24/2017 at 6:48 PM, conundrumed said:

Who will be the 17/18 Calder winner as rookie of the year?

I'm not making a poll or list because I enjoy discussion.

So I'll start the argument...err discussion, with my top 2 guesses.

Both from the Arizona Coyotes:

1. Clayton Keller

2. Dylan Strome

And I don't see them on the same line 5v5...

.....Puljujarvi 3rd, sorry!

Who do you think will be the punk-checking from behind kid that up-ends the pack?

IIRC, Pulju played too many games last year in the NHL to be considered a rookie this year.

I'm gonna reach a bit on this.  Jankowsky.  

Seriously, I think it might end up being Barzal.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

IIRC, Pulju played too many games last year in the NHL to be considered a rookie this year.

This is correct. 25 games is the limit, he has played 28.

1 hour ago, travel_dude said:

Thanks td. I never expected to see 28 games for Pulju, but yeah.

I'll stick with ARI and cherry-pick McAvoy from cross.

I'm betting we'll be hearing from all of ARI's kids sooner rather than later.

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

I can't believe how disinterested and non-threatening he was in the WJCSS. At his draft status I expected him to be at least kinda dominant.

Unfortunately ff, Logan Stanley looks like his skating hasn't improved much. Definitely a project.

I forgot about McAvoy, nice one!

I also wonder who will have breakout seasons.

I suspect Bennett will, Konecny, Zacha. These are guys I had a lot of jr viewings of and have no doubt all 3 are solid NHLers.

I was reading an article about Dubois (can't remember the site but probably TSN or SN) yesterday & it sounds like he finally realizes it's time to grow up if he's ever going to play with the big boys.

I agree Stanley is a project & a few years away. He'll never be a gunner anyway & points are what media voters look @ since most only watch the games involving their own team.

The Jets best shots @ a Calder would be Roslovic or Connor but it'd be tough for them to crack the top 6 (although Connor has a chance as 2nd LW) so hard to put up the #s voters look at.

NJ will probably load their 1st line with Hall/Hischeir/Johansson giving Hischeir a good chance as that line will probably get the major portion of the goals the Debbies score this season.

21 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry ff, Stanley plays for the "spit, I'm in Windsor".

When we traded down for Sieloff in the 2nd....yeah.

Regionally, I hate London only slightly more than Windsor.

Take a giant dman, hope you've got some time on your hands.

Not like we weren't that wtf with giants...

Wow! I haven't mentioned Stanley but you post like I'd been singing his praises as a better version of Chris Pronger. :o:rolleyes:

Yes, giants like Kanzig, Falkovsky & Mattsson will take time to develop (if they ever do). Hunter Smith @ forward falls into that category as well.

I don't know why people equate toughness with size. Mario Lemieux @ 6'4" & 230 played small while 5'6" , 180 lb. Theo Fleury played like he was a behemoth.

Dave Schultz was 6'1" & 185 lb. but scared the daylights out of bigger players.

On 8/8/2017 at 0:43 PM, Flyerfan52 said:

Wow! I haven't mentioned Stanley but you post like I'd been singing his praises as a better version of Chris Pronger. :o:rolleyes:

Yes, giants like Kanzig, Falkovsky & Mattsson will take time to develop (if they ever do). Hunter Smith @ forward falls into that category as well.

I don't know why people equate toughness with size. Mario Lemieux @ 6'4" & 230 played small while 5'6" , 180 lb. Theo Fleury played like he was a behemoth.

Dave Schultz was 6'1" & 185 lb. but scared the daylights out of bigger players.

Sorry not how I meant it:lol:

I should walk away when I think of the Knights and Spit...they're my jr equivalent of how you feel about the Pens and Rags...

2 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Sorry not how I meant it:lol:

I should walk away when I think of the Knights and Spit...they're my jr equivalent of how you feel about the Pens and Rags...

No problem. :)

BTW, since you follow the OHL what's your feeling on Barrie?

I know the feeling from my childhood where we rooted for our home team in the SEMHL & abhored the 1s from certain other towns.

That was a very low tier league BTW & the players had to be local (now they are allowed 2 imports) & a couple of teachers became favorites simply because they played for our Maroons. We did less cutting up in their class but did try to turn things into talk about their last game rather than suffer through boring classes.

20 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

No problem. :)

BTW, since you follow the OHL what's your feeling on Barrie?

I know the feeling from my childhood where we rooted for our home team in the SEMHL & abhored the 1s from certain other towns.

That was a very low tier league BTW & the players had to be local (now they are allowed 2 imports) & a couple of teachers became favorites simply because they played for our Maroons. We did less cutting up in their class but did try to turn things into talk about their last game rather than suffer through boring classes.

You mean the town, the team, Hawerchuk or Scheifele? :lol:

Barrie has the same problem as Sarnia. You have to draft the talent, because you can't draw it in a small market. If you have a high-flying team, you can trade with the flounderers to get a TDL type deal. Teams like those 2, the Sault, etc will always be up and down the barometer between good and bad.

If you look at teams like Kitchener, London, Windsor, they are good more often than not because they are large market teams.

The smaller markets have a big problem competing.

USNDP guys are right there, but they aren't skipping NCAA for the smaller markets, but they will for the larger markets.

When I say London is the richest CHL franchise, I am being literal. It is like a rock concert going to the Bud Gardens. It is an event.

The Knights are the ticket in London. I admit I am envious, it's just that the playing field isn't level.

The Hunter's are from Petrolia, RIGHT beside Sarnia. Tons of land around Oil Springs, Mark built his house beside my uncle's place.

It's hard to watch.

Dino Cicarelli bought the St. Catherine's team and moved it to Sarnia. Stamkos ensued, life was good.

Derian Hatcher and David Legwand bought the team from Dino a couple of years ago and Hatcher took on coaching duties.

It's a brighter future.

Hatcher coaches like he played, love him to death here. He has a knack for developing guys.

Chychrun rookie vs year 2 were totally different things with Hatcher taking over. Just look at Kyrou, that was Hatcher, he is now an NHLer imho.

We took Ruczicka in the 4th. A Sting player. OMG.

When, not if, Hatcher readies him, we are getting a player that is going to make some noise.

1 hour ago, conundrumed said:

You mean the town, the team, Hawerchuk or Scheifele? :lol:

Barrie has the same problem as Sarnia. You have to draft the talent, because you can't draw it in a small market. If you have a high-flying team, you can trade with the flounderers to get a TDL type deal. Teams like those 2, the Sault, etc will always be up and down the barometer between good and bad.

If you look at teams like Kitchener, London, Windsor, they are good more often than not because they are large market teams.

The smaller markets have a big problem competing.

USNDP guys are right there, but they aren't skipping NCAA for the smaller markets, but they will for the larger markets.

When I say London is the richest CHL franchise, I am being literal. It is like a rock concert going to the Bud Gardens. It is an event.

The Knights are the ticket in London. I admit I am envious, it's just that the playing field isn't level.

The Hunter's are from Petrolia, RIGHT beside Sarnia. Tons of land around Oil Springs, Mark built his house beside my uncle's place.

It's hard to watch.

Dino Cicarelli bought the St. Catherine's team and moved it to Sarnia. Stamkos ensued, life was good.

Derian Hatcher and David Legwand bought the team from Dino a couple of years ago and Hatcher took on coaching duties.

It's a brighter future.

Hatcher coaches like he played, love him to death here. He has a knack for developing guys.

Chychrun rookie vs year 2 were totally different things with Hatcher taking over. Just look at Kyrou, that was Hatcher, he is now an NHLer imho.

We took Ruczicka in the 4th. A Sting player. OMG.

When, not if, Hatcher readies him, we are getting a player that is going to make some noise.

Probably the only reason I care about the Colts. Barrie as a place only because a nephew lives there.

I don't really follow junior so the draft eligibles mainly come up on my radar via the WJC & then I kind of look @ the 1s likely to be where my teams draft.

Nice thumbnail of the teams but given it's junior how does being a rich franchise play into it as amateurs are technically not paid. Is it better facilities? As a junior wanting to make a mark you'd probably look @ coaching, winning record or anything to heighten your profile to go high in the NHL draft.

2 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Probably the only reason I care about the Colts. Barrie as a place only because a nephew lives there.

I don't really follow junior so the draft eligibles mainly come up on my radar via the WJC & then I kind of look @ the 1s likely to be where my teams draft.

Nice thumbnail of the teams but given it's junior how does being a rich franchise play into it as amateurs are technically not paid. Is it better facilities? As a junior wanting to make a mark you'd probably look @ coaching, winning record or anything to heighten your profile to go high in the NHL draft.

For an overview, Ontario is a beautiful province. North of Toronto by 100 kms, it pretty much begins at Barrie. Visit your nephew.:P

Amateurs are not paid, but the larger markets provide more opportunity to exposure.

• 2 months later...

Keller currently the frontrunner. When the pundits were saying ARI bumped Keller up in taking him, I didn't believe any of it.

They took the bpa, he was just under-ranked between 10-15 on most lists.

15 games 10G/6A. The pundits don't seem shocked now that they're seeing him play. His career up until now has been nothing short of consistently this good.

Pretty much the final nail in the coffin of over-rating size early in the draft.

At least EDM/VAN didn't take him, lol.

9 hours ago, conundrumed said:

Keller currently the frontrunner. When the pundits were saying ARI bumped Keller up in taking him, I didn't believe any of it.

They took the bpa, he was just under-ranked between 10-15 on most lists.

15 games 10G/6A. The pundits don't seem shocked now that they're seeing him play. His career up until now has been nothing short of consistently this good.

Pretty much the final nail in the coffin of over-rating size early in the draft.

At least EDM/VAN didn't take him, lol.

Connor is looking pretty good since his recall with 5 points in 8 games. Getting 18+ minutes with the top enders won't hurt. I was happy to see the kid isn't adverse to the heavy going. He could make this interesting.

& yes, living in the 'Peg I do see a lot of the Jets. I figured Connor was more sizzle than steak but I'm impressed.

Archived