Shane Doan

Cowtownguy

The dawgs are not going to sign Shane Doan to another contract. A part of me completely understands that move given he is now 40 years old. On the other hand, the guy is the face of the organization. He sacrificed money over the years and helped keep the team legitimate when everything was a total mess. You would think that they could offer him some position in the organization. 

Sorry, the other 'puter battery was low. To continue:

According to Sportsnet, Doan was told that they would not sign him to a new contract in a meeting that lasted only ten minutes. That meeting took place in public too. It is not only a classless move, but it is sure to impact other players on the team. This is a heads-up to player's agents as well. Perhaps the organization should implement a policy that all GMs hit puberty before managing their team. 

Now Tippett has parted ways. Apparently he wasn't happy that Smith was traded and he wasn't happy with the way the whole Doan situation went down.

Man they thought they had trouble getting players to play in the desert before, good luck getting players to play for this management team and owner.

I hope they get booed tomorrow at the draft. What a joke of a franchise.

On June 20, 2017 at 3:37 PM, The_People1 said:

Does the BT/Maloney connection land Doan with the Flames?  Obviously in 4th line veteran role. 

Doan is quite old and had a tough time last year. Apparently, he was injured right from the get go though. He did score 28 goals the year before. He strikes me as a person who would be effective in a variety of roles for almost any organization. Under the right circumstances, I would not have a problem with him on our 4th line. That would require moving out Stajan.

Doug MacLean talked about this on Sportsnet. He said that when he had to deal with this situation (I believe it was Dineen?), the process took a month. It was along the lines of having a series of meetings explaining how effective he could be in a coaching role. From a bit of reading that I have done on the topic, this process is very important for the player. When players accept retirement, then are far more mentally healthy than when it is imposed upon them. I realize that these guys make oodles of money, but they should still be treated with respect. A lot of former NHL players struggle with a lot of serious mental health problems (drugs, alcohol addiction, depression, anxiety etc.). I think that the Coyotes are going to struggle if they treat their players like garbage. After all of their problems and drama, they treat their captain like this? Good luck.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Now Tippett has parted ways. Apparently he wasn't happy that Smith was traded and he wasn't happy with the way the whole Doan situation went down.

Man they thought they had trouble getting players to play in the desert before, good luck getting players to play for this management team and owner.

I hope they get booed tomorrow at the draft. What a joke of a franchise.

Why ? I wouldn't have brought Doan back either and they gave him a choice to stay in some capacity. Smith wanted out for years now, I don't know about you but I wouldn't want that situation. Tippett does better with vets and this could be a great opportunity for a young up and coming coach group. This GM has picked a course of action and don't see these moves as a negative.

3 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Why ? I wouldn't have brought Doan back either and they gave him a choice to stay in some capacity. Smith wanted out for years now, I don't know about you but I wouldn't want that situation. Tippett does better with vets and this could be a great opportunity for a young up and coming coach group. This GM has picked a course of action and don't see these moves as a negative.

Smith was the only reason they won any games last year, because their roster is beyond terrible and they approached him for his NTC list. Doan gave his heart and soul to that franchise like few other players have and deserved way better than a 10 minute conversation over lunch. Tippett is one of the most respected people in hockey and it really feels like they forced him out more than it is a mutual decision.

The mark of a good franchise is how they handle their most loyal foot soldiers and the Coyotes have failed miserably in this regard. From what I have been reading the hockey world has noticed and they have been labeled as Toxic.

Just now, JTech780 said:

Smith was the only reason they won any games last year, because their roster is beyond terrible and they approached him for his NTC list. Doan gave his heart and soul to that franchise like few other players have and deserved way better than a 10 minute conversation over lunch. Tippett is one of the most respected people in hockey and it really feels like they forced him out more than it is a mutual decision.

The mark of a good franchise is how they handle their most loyal foot soldiers and the Coyotes have failed miserably in this regard. From what I have been reading the hockey world has noticed and they have been labeled as Toxic.

We can only go by what's on the surface and have no idea what has been said between GM and Doan. If Doan said to me I want to continue playing and my plans as GM were to make changes, you have to say " well it won't be here". Doan is free as a UFA to do what he wants, this doesn't require a ticker tape parade. Now if he said he was going to retire then I would say this GM has an obligation to see his departure is handled with some classy announcement.

Tippett will realize soon enough this was the best thing that ever happened to him. Maybe he and Doan should talk to WPG ???

Archived