So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Just posting this here just in case he becomes the next chara, and 10 years down the road we all realize we traded kanzig for murphy and lack. Lol.

for his sake, I really hope he does .. any team that plays slow and Big, he could be a fit .. his D is good, he just has no speed . A team Style like LA has been for awhile actually might suit him .

Personally , even as a call up i was hoping to one day see a Falkovsky/Kanzig pairing ..Twin Towers :) 

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Just posting this here just in case he becomes the next chara, and 10 years down the road we all realize we traded kanzig for murphy and lack. Lol.

I think Murphy provides good competition for Andersson on the 3rd pairing and nothing wrong with this heading into camp. Kanzig was fast becoming a lost player amongst all the better LSD we have now.

Just now, MAC331 said:

I think Murphy provides good competition for Andersson on the 3rd pairing and nothing wrong with this heading into camp. Kanzig was fast becoming a lost player amongst all the better LSD we have now.

Definatly agree with that. I wouldnt be surprised to see murphy become our 7th D man if he comes into camp and doesnt look great. Im really surprised a sport psychologist hasent been able to help him after that hit though, I guess well see.

1 hour ago, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Definatly agree with that. I wouldnt be surprised to see murphy become our 7th D man if he comes into camp and doesnt look great. Im really surprised a sport psychologist hasent been able to help him after that hit though, I guess well see.

I have to take back what I said in another thread about BT could be done now. After further analyzes I would still like to see us try to get Braden McNabb from LV for our 3rd pairing LSD. If we have Murphy and Andersson battling out the RSD it would be good to have someone like McNabb as their partner.

Just now, JTech780 said:

GG was on the morning show, and they asked what was he looking for in forward to add to the team, GG said a RHS that can win some draws.

Was this in addition to Versteeg being added yesterday ? I have thought about this after reading FLA not wanting to pay Jagr 4M, why not him ? The things he could teach a few of these young guys. He was a C and a good one now playing RW.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Was this in addition to Versteeg being added yesterday ? I have thought about this after reading FLA not wanting to pay Jagr 4M, why not him ? The things he could teach a few of these young guys. He was a C and a good one now playing RW.

yep it was live .. talked about Versteeg , said he gave up more term and more $ to sign back in Calgary. Basically told the team to sign their half of the contract offer and he'd sign his.

27 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

GG was on the morning show, and they asked what was he looking for in forward to add to the team, GG said a RHS that can win some draws.

I've been saying this for years.  Shot hand is critical in faceoffs.  You definitely want a RHS C for defensive zone faceoffs to the right of your own goalie.  That allows the C to pull the puck back full power to the corner.  If you have a LHS, then he will pull back to his own goalie or have to do some kind of complicated body twist to avoid doing so. 

This is a challenge to Lazar, in my opinion.

Just now, The_People1 said:

I've been saying this for years.  Shot hand is critical in faceoffs.  You definitely want a RHS C for defensive zone faceoffs to the right of your own goalie.  That allows the C to pull the puck back full power to the corner.  If you have a LHS, then he will pull back to his own goalie or have to do some kind of complicated body twist to avoid doing so. 

I would say the moves to have RHS winger who can step in for certain draws has improved on the team. This is likely why the hunt continues for this on the top line. We now have Brouwer, Versteeg and Lazar that are capable RHS for taking face offs.

10 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

I take that as they view Lazar as a winger and not a center option. I'll admit bias there though as IMO Lazar is a winger not a center but It sounds like the Flames may agree.

Downside is RH shot options in FA are limited:

Mike Fisher (doubtful)

Ryan White (not a good fit IMO)

Josh Jooris (why?)

Boyd Gordon (does he have anything left?)

however, that does point the direction of Justin Williams who is a RW who does take, and win, a decent amount of faceoffs for a winger. 

Others RW who could fit:

Doan (yuk)

Brian Gionta (Yuk, and not very good at faceoffs)

Drew Stafford (also yuk)

Tyler Pitlik (center in junior. Small sample size in NHL.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

We gave nothing as far as assets and got 2 NHL players and all Carolina did was save $2m, not a huge amount of cap savings. Lack is as good as any of the UFA backups on the market. There is zero downside to this trade.

Being that lack is as good as whats out there in UFA isn't really saying much then is it? After further thought last knight and yes it hurts me to think encase your wondering. Anyway we or I guess i should say I thought Elliott was our savour ok turned out not so much. So this yr I have no expectations on Smith being any more of a Kypr type savour.  Who knows Lack might surprise but again no expectations.

4 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I take that as they view Lazar as a winger and not a center option. I'll admit bias there though as IMO Lazar is a winger not a center but It sounds like the Flames may agree.

Downside is RH shot options in FA are limited:

Mike Fisher (doubtful)

Ryan White (not a good fit IMO)

Josh Jooris (why?)

Boyd Gordon (does he have anything left?)

however, that does point the direction of Justin Williams who is a RW who does take, and win, a decent amount of faceoffs for a winger. 

Others RW who could fit:

Doan (yuk)

Brian Gionta (Yuk, and not very good at faceoffs)

Drew Stafford (also yuk)

Tyler Pitlik (center in junior. Small sample size in NHL.

Lazar isn't NHL material if we want to be honest about it.  Just lacks tools despite all the heart and soul in the world.  No shooting talents.  No playmaking/still handling.  No breakaway speed.  No size/hitting/sandpaper.

There's nothing much separating him from other vanilla AHLers like Emile Poirier for example.

But about a RHS C, it's almost certainly going to have to come via a trade.  

3 minutes ago, zima said:

Being that lack is as good as whats out there in UFA isn't really saying much then is it? After further thought last knight and yes it hurts me to think encase your wondering. Anyway we or I guess i should say I thought Elliott was our savour ok turned out not so much. So this yr I have no expectations on Smith being any more of a Kypr type savour.  Who knows Lack might surprise but again no expectations.

You know, Elliott could have easily been brought back. He is one of the better goalies in this league but I think on the surface BT wanted to be seen to be making an improvement. If the improvement is getting past the 2nd round then I guess it will be mission accomplished.

Just now, The_People1 said:

Lazar isn't NHL material if we want to be honest about it.  Just lacks tools despite all the heart and soul in the world.  No shooting talents.  No playmaking/still handling.  No breakaway speed.  No size/hitting/sandpaper.

There's nothing much separating him from other vanilla AHLers like Emile Poirier for example.

Don't ever attempt to be a talent scout.

Glad Bouma is gone. I grew very tired of him over the last couple seasons. I get they could just bury him but with all the stuff you hear, late to practice, hungover, lacklustre play on the ice, better to just get him out of the organization.

Murphy isn't a shock either. He is not an NHL dman and is a very cheap buyout because of his age. Carolina has wanted to move him for a while so I think this was probably necessary in order to get Lack deal done for so cheap. 

3 minutes ago, cross16 said:

Glad Bouma is gone. I grew very tired of him over the last couple seasons. I get they could just bury him but with all the stuff you hear, late to practice, hungover, lacklustre play on the ice, better to just get him out of the organization.

Murphy isn't a shock either. He is not an NHL dman and is a very cheap buyout because of his age. Carolina has wanted to move him for a while so I think this was probably necessary in order to get Lack deal done for so cheap. 

Ya Bouma needed to go.  If anything, it helps dangle the carrot for our prospects by opening up one roster spot.

Just now, cross16 said:

Appears all of this to be the case. I just thought given our lack of RHSD in our pipeline they could have put him in the AHL at least to see if his game improved.

24 minutes ago, The_People1 said:

Lazar is probably one of the faster guys on the team, and he plays with a lot of sandpaper. He might not be a top 6 guy, but I think he is going to be a real solid 3rd liner.

Archived