So Where do we go from here? Analysis & Predictions

cccsberg

• Replies 2.6k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
1 minute ago, zima said:

Wheres the love ?

Hey I did say I wanted him to retire a Flame, I just think time and age have caught up to him and it's time to hang them up. If another team wants to give him a contract great, I just don't want it to be us, time to move forward not backwards.

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Marleau has 27 goals last year 20 of which came 5v5. He can still fly. I would give him a long look. The fact that he would get a 35+ contract is a plus and a negative. With 35+ contracts we can try giving him a lower AAV, but load it with bonuses. He wants a 3 year deal, so if we gave him a 3 year deal with a $2m AAV or lower with bonuses and he retired after 2 years it would suck but it wouldn't be the end of the world.

Teemu Selanne took a series of 1 year contracts the last 5 years he played because he didn't want to tie the Ducks hands with a 35+ contract if he wasn't playing up to par. He knew there was a chance he'd want to retire any given year. All were bonus laden.

If he was willing to do that I'm against any but 1 year contracts that are 35+. I've seen those bite the Flyers.

& preferably keep the base low but load the bonuses (games played, points, where the team places in the standings) & make them acheivable.

31 minutes ago, Flyerfan52 said:

Teemu Selanne took a series of 1 year contracts the last 5 years he played because he didn't want to tie the Ducks hands with a 35+ contract if he wasn't playing up to par. He knew there was a chance he'd want to retire any given year. All were bonus laden.

If he was willing to do that I'm against any but 1 year contracts that are 35+. I've seen those bite the Flyers.

& preferably keep the base low but load the bonuses (games played, points, where the team places in the standings) & make them acheivable.

He did the 1 year deals because every offseason for the last 5 years of his career he was always on the fence about retirement and made it this long drawn out will he/won't he thing all offseason.

4 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Da Costa might be a player to look at, he is RHS RW and just put up 6 goals and 10 points in 6 games at the World Championships for France. 

I dont think we make any more moves like that. I would assume the only move we make now is maybe bring in a bottom pairing D man, maybe resign versteeg and obviously a back up goalie if they dont want rittich up with the big club next year.

I have no problem with De Costa so long as he's signed to a deal that includes the option of going to the A. Cameron should know him well from Ottawa days and I do like the player but i'm not guaranteeing him an AHL job. But again its depth at a position they are shallow at so i'm not opposed to it but given he is coming form the KHL (and probably paid well) I'm thinking he may want some guarantees.

I really don't like the idea of reclamation projects for winger though. With the way the Flames have structured their off-season they clearly are pushing the chips in so IMO it doesn't make sense to do that and then try and skimp out on scoring. Scoring is a massive need and quite frankly I think it was as important to address as defense because 5 on 5 scoring is what really sunk this team last year, not their defensive play. So the likes of Iginla, De Costa, Yakupov etc i'm totally against because what he is the point? You've already gone big in trades so do the same here or don't bother because you've got options internally that are probably as good as some of these "reclamation" projects.

I get FA crop isn't good and you still need to be smart with what term you give you but if Flames can't get the likes of Sharp, Marleau or Williams I think they are better to pass. Roll with what you've got and then address at the deadline if needed. 

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Hey I did say I wanted him to retire a Flame, I just think time and age have caught up to him and it's time to hang them up. If another team wants to give him a contract great, I just don't want it to be us, time to move forward not backwards.

Those 1 minute contracts are great for players wanting to retire for the team they favored the most. Iginla should be doing this with the Flames.

11 hours ago, zima said:

Yeah I have zero interest in bringing back Iginla unless it's on a 1 day contract so he can retire a Flame. I can't see anyone signing Iginla

I will give him a contract in a heart beat but no worries he would never come back here he hates Flames management he wore his heart on his sleeve here and toke home town money and got the shaft and what did we get  out of it poirier klimchuck and players that just didn't cut it Great trade another fiasco. Ok enough reminiscing  Iggy in my books is a class act and deserve to be treated as such and if he would come here he would give it his all and put up probably 50 points those are going to be the hard points only MrT does right now.  Plus he is a RW shoots right what more can you ask for and don't kid your self he can still play we have seen what he can do just put him with some talent and watch him go

7 minutes ago, zima said:

I will give him a contract in a heart beat but no worries he would never come back here he hates Flames management he wore his heart on his sleeve here and toke home town money and got the shaft and what did we get  out of it poirier klimchuck and players that just didn't cut it Great trade another fiasco. Ok enough reminiscing  Iggy in my books is a class act and deserve to be treated as such and if he would come here he would give it his all and put up probably 50 points those are going to be the hard points only MrT does right now.   

Do you know Iginla to make such claims as he hates Flames management ? There were reasons he was traded and if anything the Flames danced to Iginla's tune for years. I doubt you have a handle on the relationship at all. I wouldn't bring him back with this group at this stage of his career and IMO he should retire now.

19 minutes ago, zima said:

I will give him a contract in a heart beat but no worries he would never come back here he hates Flames management he wore his heart on his sleeve here and toke home town money and got the shaft and what did we get  out of it poirier klimchuck and players that just didn't cut it Great trade another fiasco. Ok enough reminiscing  Iggy in my books is a class act and deserve to be treated as such and if he would come here he would give it his all and put up probably 50 points those are going to be the hard points only MrT does right now.   

He was making $7m, that is pretty good money and not really a true hometown discount. He put up 27 points last year and is 39 years old, he isn't going to put anywhere near 50 points, 25 points if you are lucky.

5 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Do you know Iginla to make such claims as he hates Flames management ? There were reasons he was traded and if anything the Flames danced to Iginla's tune for years. I doubt you have a handle on the relationship at all. I wouldn't bring him back with this group at this stage of his career and IMO he should retire now

So I take from your comment you know all about the situation with the Iggy and management fiasco why don't you enlighten us or me because I would love to know what really happened?

24 minutes ago, zima said:

I will give him a contract in a heart beat but no worries he would never come back here he hates Flames management he wore his heart on his sleeve here and toke home town money and got the shaft and what did we get  out of it poirier klimchuck and players that just didn't cut it Great trade another fiasco. Ok enough reminiscing  Iggy in my books is a class act and deserve to be treated as such and if he would come here he would give it his all and put up probably 50 points those are going to be the hard points only MrT does right now.  Plus he is a RW shoots right what more can you ask for and don't kid your self he can still play we have seen what he can do just put him with some talent and watch him go

Iginla asked to be traded remember. Said flat out he wasn't going to sign here if they were going to rebuild so not sure where the idea he got the "shaft" comes from.

Especially considering it was he who actually shafted the Flames but reneging on the Boston deal and preventing the Flames from making the better trade. It was his right to do so I'm not upset but just don't understanding how in any way shape or form the organization wasn't fair to Iginla

Just now, zima said:

So I take from your comment you know all about the situation with the Iggy and management fiasco why don't you enlighten us or me because I would love to know what really happened?

What fiasco are you referring to ? How about you enlighten us all on this part ? he was traded and he had a lot of say to where.

Ok good to know I never knew that thought it was Managements Idea that just sucks all this time I thought iggy was being treated like crap looks like other way around if so just lost a ton of respect for him. I do remember how ever we could have gotten better deal from boston but iggy turned that down.

There should be respect both ways. I'm not suggesting what so ever that Iginla did anything wrong. Flames were going to rebuild and they did the right thing by asking him if he would be part of it and he said no, which is the response he should have said. He wanted to win and he really shouldn't have stuck around here and the Flames gained both cap space and assets by dealing him so I consider that a win-win. None of that was handled incorrectly.

sure some people are upset about how he handled the trade but at the end of the day it was the Flames that gave him the NMC so he had every right to exercise it. I can also fully understand why he would want to go to Pittsburgh and play with Crosby so again there really sin't a reason to show him any disrespect. No to mention at the end of the day while the Boston trade was better it was marginally better.

Iginla and the Flames enjoyed a very good relationship and there is no reason to think differently. He will 100% be back here to retire as a Flame but I just happen to agree it will be as a 1 day contract and no more. 

I think he went with pits because of the gold they won together and thought there would be great chemistry there but ended up on a 3rd line me thinks. Also seems he killed himself every team he went to lost out on the cup he said no to Boston and they won must have been a kick in the pants for Iggy Ouch.

9 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

Going to throw out a name:

Scott Hartnell.

Just bought out, so would be a UFA.

LW, but might be a good fit on this team for size and style.

Downside (if he can't play RW) is that it would move a LW to the right.

already tossed it out 2 posts earlier.. give me Iggy way before Hartnell

Archived