Inmates running the asylum?

Cowtownguy

According to TSN, Puempel from the New York Rangers is making highly critical statements of Senator's coach, Guy Boucher. The Senators waived Puempel who was picked up by the Rangers earlier this week. Puempel said:

“They let you play here, they let you play to your strengths," Puempel told the newspaper after scoring a goal in his Rangers debut. "They know there are going to be mistakes. They’re not barking at you every time you come off the ice. It’s beneficial.”...

“In Ottawa there for a while it was getting a little repetitious; chip the puck, chase the puck,” he said. “I think this was the most minutes I’ve played in a long time. The more minutes you get, the better you play. You’re more engaged.”

By contrast, players in the Bobby Orr era and before were not really properly compensated for their work.

Are NHL players simply too privileged to the extent that they question the authority of current and former coaches? Is it not egregious for highly paid players to expect or demand that coaches impress, motivate, and impress them? Should players be offering coaching advice to coaches? Are they paid too much? At times, it seems to me as though the inmates are running the asylum.

22 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I think a wise player would not burn the bridges they just crossed. Those types of things(comments) can come back to haunt you later on.

AV also seems like a guy who you shouldn't cross. Once you're in his bad books, sometimes it's hard to get out. 
Although, AV does know how to get the most out of his players buy understanding their strengths. 

38 minutes ago, DirtyDeeds said:

I think a wise player would not burn the bridges they just crossed. Those types of things(comments) can come back to haunt you later on.

Even during Trouba's holdout he & his agent were smart enough not to burn bridges. Not only are you POing 1 organization but other GMs keep that kind of thing in mind if/when that player is available.

Puempel might have a very short & unrewarding NHL career. He was a waiver wire pickup due to the Rags needing a cheap forward due to injuries. Play your (.) off Puempel as you go RFA next July. :lol:

11 hours ago, The_People1 said:

I think AV is one of the best coaches in the league so ya, to go from subpar to elite coaching, you're going to realize just how bad you had it before.  This makes me wonder if more Senators players want out and maybe the Flames can get in there, make some moves, and give them a new start with us.

Guy Boucher is an impressive coach in alot of ways, but this was the buzz on him in Tampa too and was rumored as the reason he was forced out so quickly. He is just always on top of you for all the little things that he really wore on the players very quick, doesn't let you freelance at all. That was the reason I was never in favor of him beign the Flames coach, even though I think he is one of the more intelligent and creative coaches out there. 

I don't think this is that big a deal personally. Bobby Orr also was not overcoached to the degree that players are in today's pro game either so I think that goes both ways. Players being afraid to speak out is why they were so poorly compensated for over 40 years. 

Archived