Training Camp 2016-2017

cross16

• Replies 214
  • Created
  • Last Reply
33 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Interesting to see Higgins on the shut down line. Shinkaruk-Vey-Frattin could be the number 1 line in Stockton. Poirier-Stajan-Ferland looks like another 4th line.

I wouldn't be at all shocked if Ferland doesn't make this team out of camp. I think Hartley was the only reason he was on the roster last year.

I would be very shocked. He'd need waivers and while normally I argue that most clear I really don't think Ferland would clear waivers.  I might go as far to say that maybe he isn't in their starting lineup but I think he makes this team for sure.  From what I say, he looked good against Winnipeg and just find in the practice I watched. Also I think he is a fan of the front office. At the ticket meetings Burke seemed to suggest they didn't agree with Hartleys usage of Ferland and felt it contributed to his season. 

Outside of the pairs i'm not so sure we shouldn't be reading too much into the lines. I view them all as a test and not at all an indication of what Gulutzan is thinking. 

40 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

Looks like we might see these pairings to start the season:

Giordano-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Jokipakka-Engelland

Not terrible, just wish we had a better option than Wideman for the second pairing.

You know what, Wideman could get off to a great start and that would serve us well.

52 minutes ago, cross16 said:

I would be very shocked. He'd need waivers and while normally I argue that most clear I really don't think Ferland would clear waivers.  I might go as far to say that maybe he isn't in their starting lineup but I think he makes this team for sure.  From what I say, he looked good against Winnipeg and just find in the practice I watched. Also I think he is a fan of the front office. At the ticket meetings Burke seemed to suggest they didn't agree with Hartleys usage of Ferland and felt it contributed to his season. 

Outside of the pairs i'm not so sure we shouldn't be reading too much into the lines. I view them all as a test and not at all an indication of what Gulutzan is thinking. 

I think that is a pretty accurate statement about Ferland.  I can think of many times he was waved back to the bench in the middle of a Flames possession in the O-zone.  He's more offensively gifted than some of the other vets on this team, but hasn't quite got his role figured out or defined.  In Winnipeg, he was one of the best players on the ice.  Him and Poirier played like guys possessed.  

Right now they are using two squads.  If you are in the bottom of those in ice time, then your days are likely numbered.  The line you play on may not mean as much as usage.  

4 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Giordano-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Jokipakka-Engelland

Not terrible, just wish we had a better option than Wideman for the second pairing.

If Wideman is playing top 4 thst is the way to go. Brodie and Wideman have played well together I  the past and I don't thing Giordano-Hamilton was given a fair crack. 

But it's still early. Its tinkering time. Tough to take to much out of line combinations at this point. 

11 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Giordano-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Jokipakka-Engelland

This is a solid setup.  What i fear is once we officially put Smid on LTIR, we sign Kris Russell to $3.5-mil.  

8 hours ago, The_People1 said:

This is a solid setup.  What i fear is once we officially put Smid on LTIR, we sign Kris Russell to $3.5-mil.  

Let's hope not, Russell is getting way overrated which seems to mean way over paid these days. Jokipakka will prove to be a solid defenseman and if Brodie and Giordano make up the other two LSD we are in good shape.

20 hours ago, JTech780 said:

Giordano-Hamilton

Brodie-Wideman

Jokipakka-Engelland

So, if you go with:

Gio-Brodie (top minutes, toughest competition)

Joki-Hamilton (balanced)

Wotherspoon-Wideman (easiest competition)

Ex. Engelland

That puts Brodie in his "preferred" spot and sets up the best defense line we have.  The second pair gets slightly easier competition, Hamilton gets PP time and Kevin gets PK time.  Wotherspoon is defensive enough and not a bad skater/puck mover to make up for Wideman's offense only style.  Both Wideman and Engelland are slowing down, so I don't think it's wise to play they both in every game.

17 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

So, if you go with:

Gio-Brodie (top minutes, toughest competition)

Joki-Hamilton (balanced)

Wotherspoon-Wideman (easiest competition)

Ex. Engelland

That puts Brodie in his "preferred" spot and sets up the best defense line we have.  The second pair gets slightly easier competition, Hamilton gets PP time and Kevin gets PK time.  Wotherspoon is defensive enough and not a bad skater/puck mover to make up for Wideman's offense only style.  Both Wideman and Engelland are slowing down, so I don't think it's wise to play they both in every game.

The only thing that bothers me about Brodie on the RS is him having to be on his backhand passing so much. He is good with it at times but he also gets in trouble with it. All GG can do is start with some pairings and see how they perform. Whoever suggested Brodie with Wideman may be onto something as Brodie now has the maturity to take on most of the play in that pairing and he will no doubt have to cover up for Wideman at times. Wideman with Wotherspoon puts a lot of pressure on Wotherspoon, someone such as an experienced Engelland would provide some stability for him to lean on. I think it makes all kinds of sense to break up Giordano and Brodie, Hamiton with Giordano may provide him the confidence to press some offense.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

LIne up tonight

Really intriqued to see Gio-Hamilton. I am very hopefull this can work because I think it would be a real boost to the Flames D if Gulutzan can have the abilty to match lines with both Gio and Brodie. 

I have noticed Ferland is playing mostly on the RW these games.

I have as well but i think its out of necessity right now in order to keep in playing in the top 9. Shinkaruk didn't look good at all playing RW and I believe I read that he mentioned that was uncomfortable for him. Higgins I think is being showcased to see if they should keep him or not and you aren't going to move Tkachuk off that line right now.

We'll see how it progresses but right now I think the have to be playing Ferland on the RW. I think he has shown the abilty to be at least servicable at both. 

10 minutes ago, cross16 said:

LIne up tonight

Really intriqued to see Gio-Hamilton. I am very hopefull this can work because I think it would be a real boost to the Flames D if Gulutzan can have the abilty to match lines with both Gio and Brodie. 

The forward lines look like they are trying to find the best players out of the bottom two lines.  Freddie has an inside track due to his multi-position ability and performance so far.  Janko playing on a shutdown line.  Chiasson playing with a player that has looked good.  Not sure what to make of the Shink-Stajan-Ferland line.  Wotherspoon-Engelland is a possible look at the 3rd pair, assuming Wideman plays 2nd pair.  Kylington-Wideman must be the Brodie substitute.

3 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

The forward lines look like they are trying to find the best players out of the bottom two lines.  Freddie has an inside track due to his multi-position ability and performance so far.  Janko playing on a shutdown line.  Chiasson playing with a player that has looked good.  Not sure what to make of the Shink-Stajan-Ferland line.  Wotherspoon-Engelland is a possible look at the 3rd pair, assuming Wideman plays 2nd pair.  Kylington-Wideman must be the Brodie substitute.

With Monahan, Backlund and Gaudreau out it is hard to assess any of these lines except the obvious one T, B and B. GG is likely trying to zero in on individual assessments.

4 hours ago, MAC331 said:

Let's hope not, Russell is getting way overrated which seems to mean way over paid these days. Jokipakka will prove to be a solid defenseman and if Brodie and Giordano make up the other two LSD we are in good shape.

There's smoke so, i hate to say that there's fire somewhere.  Every now and then you hear the Flames and Russell have shown interest in one another for a return.  To what extent is never reported but it's scary enough to hear there's interest at any level.  That, plus you've got Smid going on LTIR (probably career ending injury), it frees up cap space that BT may feel can be used on D again.  

Obviously, i feel Jokipakka should be a full timer.  After that, Wotherspoon and Kulak are perfectly okay in the 7th D role.  That, or bring back Nakladal.  But man, i do feel we will bring back Russell and we block all the kids from NHL time.  Just a bad feeling.

3 hours ago, The_People1 said:

There's smoke so, i hate to say that there's fire somewhere.  Every now and then you hear the Flames and Russell have shown interest in one another for a return.  To what extent is never reported but it's scary enough to hear there's interest at any level.  That, plus you've got Smid going on LTIR (probably career ending injury), it frees up cap space that BT may feel can be used on D again.  

Obviously, i feel Jokipakka should be a full timer.  After that, Wotherspoon and Kulak are perfectly okay in the 7th D role.  That, or bring back Nakladal.  But man, i do feel we will bring back Russell and we block all the kids from NHL time.  Just a bad feeling.

All I can do is hope it doesn't happen.  Most of the talk seems to be based on him not signing and previous fit, and seemed to be reported before Smid even talked about going LTIR.  SMid was actually skating when it first came out.  I can't see the sense of trading a guy that you couldn't work out a deal with for a good return, only to work a deal months later to bring him to replace the guy you got in trade.  If Yokipakka was a bust, then maybe.  But, he has played to a similar level as Russell.  

The only way it makes any sense is if Wideman or Engelland was being moved.  Then you could slot him on the 2nd or 3rd pairing.  I still don't see that making us any better than we are now, just more balanced if we kept Gio-Brodie as the main pair.  

20 hours ago, The_People1 said:

Using last night's game I thought Wotherspoon played a very solid game. He was even in behind the net in the offensive zone at one point LOL good on him.

I found last night's game quite a scramble but tried to zero in on some players. I thought Bennett's line looked good but something just says Tkachuk isn't ready at this level 100%. The Hamilton boys looked good. Jankowski and Shinkaruk look like more time in the AHL would serve them well. Chiasson was there but didn't do a whole lot but outside of Bennett's line the line combinations are terrible. Hathaway is another player that I am starting to think is not NHL calibre. Klimchuk looked good in spots.

Feeling a whole lot better about our goaltending within the organization. Good job BT.

2 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

Using last night's game I thought Wotherspoon played a very solid game. He was even in behind the net in the offensive zone at one point LOL good on him.

I found last night's game quite a scramble but tried to zero in on some players. I thought Bennett's line looked good but something just says Tkachuk isn't ready at this level 100%. The Hamilton boys looked good. Jankowski and Shinkaruk look like more time in the AHL would serve them well. Chiasson was there but didn't do a whole lot but outside of Bennett's line the line combinations are terrible. Hathaway is another player that I am starting to think is not NHL calibre. Klimchuk looked good in spots.

Feeling a whole lot better about our goaltending within the organization. Good job BT.

Yea I would agree with you, I think tkachuk needs a bit more seasoning from the looks of things, hes making the right plays for the most part but he still looks just a step behind on some plays, so I dont know if he just needs more games get up to speed or if hes just struggling.

Jankowski and shinkaruk both didnt play well at all last night, I was really dissapointed because their last preseason game they looked much stronger, and chiasson just looked a little lost out there, his line mates didnt really help that. 

There was a few plays where I could see what players were trying to accomplish by being more aggressive in the D zone for example the canucks goal where jankowski left his wing position, but I dont think GG wants them to leave the D man wide open, so all in all I think the team is still learning a new way of playing, some players arent catching on as quick.

Can we trade wideman yet though? I just hate the way he plays hockey.

On ‎2016‎-‎09‎-‎29 at 3:07 PM, cross16 said:

I think this is likely why guys like HIggins were elevatred in the lineup. May only have a game or two left to see if they can belong. 

I don't think Higgins did much to help his cause in last night's game.

Just now, AlbertaBoy12 said:

Yea I would agree with you, I think tkachuk needs a bit more seasoning from the looks of things, hes making the right plays for the most part but he still looks just a step behind on some plays, so I dont know if he just needs more games get up to speed or if hes just struggling.

Jankowski and shinkaruk both didnt play well at all last night, I was really dissapointed because their last preseason game they looked much stronger, and chiasson just looked a little lost out there, his line mates didnt really help that. 

There was a few plays where I could see what players were trying to accomplish by being more aggressive in the D zone for example the canucks goal where jankowski left his wing position, but I dont think GG wants them to leave the D man wide open, so all in all I think the team is still learning a new way of playing, some players arent catching on as quick.

Can we trade wideman yet though? I just hate the way he plays hockey.

You can trade at any time but I have to think if any team wanted Wideman by now he would be gone.

30 minutes ago, MAC331 said:

You can trade at any time but I have to think if any team wanted Wideman by now he would be gone.

It's a catch 22. They are giving him opportunity. If he capitalizes and looks good the Flames may just want to keep him. If he doesn't he isn't going anywhere. 

That said, the next two weeks will be the prime time for him to get traded. If he plays well and a team needs a RH shot because of an injury or an inability to fill a spot with a kid they may come knocking. 

Archived