Day of Insanity

ABC923

I am a little confused by the Stamkos deal. Why would Stamkos let this matter fester for an entire year, only to sign the day before free agency and leave money on the table? It must have made Stevie Y's other negotiations more difficult. I find that odd.

Thanks FF52.  You've explained it well.

Just so I'm absolutely clear, Weber will continue to impact the Preds cap until his contract expires 10 years from now?

Yes. If he retires any time after this year the Preds get the major part of the recapture as the Habs only benefit by a 1 year saving on cap of 4.014 & every year he plays after brings that down (as hit is 1.75 over true $s). So in 3 years the Montreal gets no cap benefit & Nashville prays Weber completes his contract as they bear the full brunt. To be clear the Habs don't get a cap credit, just true $ savings.

Glad I could help Bud. Us fans look after each other when we can.

I am a little confused by the Stamkos deal. Why would Stamkos let this matter fester for an entire year, only to sign the day before free agency and leave money on the table? It must have made Stevie Y's other negotiations more difficult. I find that odd.

Maybe being on a contender mattered more than bigger $s from TML & Buffalo (the 2 that were reported to be courting most). The almost flat cap combined with few teams that could offer a huge ask narrowed the market.

Stevie T also previously that @ mutual agreement talks were suspended until after playoffs. Probably let Stamkos look @ the market & decide his priority. Seems to know his players.

Stamkos said he didn't want negotiations of his mind during the push to the playoffs nor during said playoffs (he didn't know he'd be injured) so he didn't leave TB hanging.

Maybe TB's offer expired on July 29th? Teams can only be held for ransom for so long then it's time to move on.

Team Canada still seems to have more faith in Shea Weber as he was 1 of the 1st 16 players named for the 2016 World Cup of Hockey  while PK Subban didn't make the additions list.

Barring injuries to the D he was passed by again.

Every move comes with risks. I think the most telling note came from Toews to Weber:

"Thanks for leaving our division".

Now I'm pretty sure Weber is going to terrorize the East.

What I'm not sure about is Subban facing the rather large and aggressive best teams in the West.

I think the main thing Weber brings to MTL is what they lack most, nasty, nasty leadership. Want to lose 6 in a row and be around that guy? I wouldn't.

Archived