NHL participation in Olympic Games - Official. Not going to 2018 Games

cross16

Sure starting to sound like the NHL does not plan on going to the 2018 Olympics but has not commented further on that. Bettman did say that as of right now the IIHF has not agreed to pay travel costs or insurance for NHL players and if that is the case the NHL won't go. I thought this article was a good summary on the situation and pretty thought provoking.

http://www.calgaryherald.com/sports/time+skate+away+from+olympics/11954992/story.html

My personal take is that it doesn't make much sense to me for the NHL to interrupt it's season and send its best over to Korea. I get the whole "grow the game argument" and agree with it but i'm not sure sending your players to Korea is really going to "grow the game". I know everyone points to Vancouver as this great spectacle of hockey and I completely agree, but then they forget to mention that Sochi was terrible. Poor hockey, the game is on at poor hours so your audience can't even watch it and it really generated no excitement. Hockey on the big ice just isn't entertaining IMO so I'm not sure I agree with the "grow the game" argument. 

So I think if the IIHF isn't going to reimburse the NHL I don't think they should be going. Too much risk and I don't want to see another Tavares injury but what say you?

I wonder what the NHL offered him to write that bunch of propaganda.

The World Cup of Hockey won't have the same effect because it is not country against country. There is little intrigue with a European team vs Under 23 team. Does anyone here think the Finns and Swedish fans will magically turn from arch hockey enemies to happy fans because their loved players are on the same team?

This won't grow the game, in fact is likely to hurt it in other places other than NHL areas.

The single largest area in the world to develop and gain new players is China. Staying away from the 2018 Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, won't help this market develop at all.

Bettman has lost touch...

I wonder what the NHL offered him to write that bunch of propaganda.

The World Cup of Hockey won't have the same effect because it is not country against country. There is little intrigue with a European team vs Under 23 team. Does anyone here think the Finns and Swedish fans will magically turn from arch hockey enemies to happy fans because their loved players are on the same team?

This won't grow the game, in fact is likely to hurt it in other places other than NHL areas.

The single largest area in the world to develop and gain new players is China. Staying away from the 2018 Games in Pyeongchang, South Korea, won't help this market develop at all.

Bettman has lost touch...

The 8 teams are Canada, US, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Team Europe & Team North America.

Team Europe unites all the "Just happy to be here" teams under 1 banner giving the favorite players in non-powers (German, Swiss, Slovak, etc.) a chance @ success.

Team North America actually weakens 2 of the powerhouses by removing 23 & under players from their rosters while the 4 Euro countries have no such restriction.

Some call this tourney a farce due to the inclusion of Team Europe & Team North America but you can bet both will be stronger entries than Germany or Switzerland in the Olympics or IIHF Cup.

It'll be interesting & I expect some dang good hockey with no blowouts to pad stats.

To play Devils adocate, did the Nagano games grow the game in Japan? Is the best way to grow the game to showcase the best hockey possible or to play games in certain countries?

I know the complaint about the World Cup is it isn't going to be a "national" tournament because not everyone is playing for their true nation. While I agree with that I also happen to believe that quality of hockey is going to be much better. I agree with FlyerFan that if you look at the rosters there isn't the weak link that there use to be. I'd personally rather see competitive hockey across the board rather than watch Canada pump a Team Korea 10-0 or something. 

The 8 teams are Canada, US, Russia, Finland, Sweden, Czech Republic, Team Europe & Team North America.

Team Europe unites all the "Just happy to be here" teams under 1 banner giving the favorite players in non-powers (German, Swiss, Slovak, etc.) a chance @ success.

Team North America actually weakens 2 of the powerhouses by removing 23 & under players from their rosters while the 4 Euro countries have no such restriction.

Some call this tourney a farce due to the inclusion of Team Europe & Team North America but you can bet both will be stronger entries than Germany or Switzerland in the Olympics or IIHF Cup.

It'll be interesting & I expect some dang good hockey with no blowouts to pad stats.

I haven't figured out how the Team NA is supposed to compete with teams composed of older players.  Does Team Canada and Team USA play Team NA as well?

I actually think Team NA will be a killer team.  

Okay, I looked it up.  Team NA plays in pool B against Russia, Finland, and Sweden.  Team Canada in pool A with USA, Czech and Team Europe.

The Olympic hockey tournament is great to watch. That being said it all the NHL teams have millions upon millions of dollars tied up in these players, so it doesn't make much sense to send them over without insurance, not to mention all the travel costs involved. From a league and a team perspective I don't think it makes much sense to send players over.

I still remember the '92 and '94 Olympics and them being quite entertaining.

I'm of two minds.  I have truly enjoyed the Olympic hockey tournaments when they've featured NHL players, but I'd be quite content if none of the Flames players were involved.

I don't think the Olympic tournament is nearly as compelling when the teams are comprised of fringe NHLers.

• 10 months later...

Official. They are not going.

I'm most interesting in the fall out as several players have been public to say they will go regardless. I don't really disagree with the decision but the fallout could be interesting.

1 minute ago, cross16 said:

Official. They are not going.

I'm most interesting in the fall out as several players have been public to say they will go regardless. I don't really disagree with the decision but the fallout could be interesting.

I am actually quite happy about this news. I think taking several weeks off and having another compressed schedule would make for a terrible NHL season.

The Olympics are great but having NHL players there in the past has pretty much ruined the NHL season for me, as the on ice product wasn't very good in those seasons.

Garry had his World Cup last fall and demonstrated he could make X million on his own.  He then tells the Olympic committee for his players to attend he would need X million.  Olympic committee tells Garry they like his product but if they pay him then everyone else gets in line for a hand out too.  No deal.

It will be interesting to see how many bubble NHL players without contracts for next year, will avoid taking NHL deals for the opportunity to play in the Olympics.

Does a Nolan Patrick hold off on signing for a year to get healthy and a chance to play in the Olympics?

1 hour ago, rickross said:

A massive blow to the winter Olympics not having the NHL participate. It was their biggest draw and its highly likely ratings will reach a low in 2018. Sucks for those players that never got the chance to compete for an Olympic medal as well. Well..business rules all in this case

Watching Bettman's disccussion whilst in Calgary I can see the argument why.  The NHL has little to gain from it due to tv timings losing couple of weeeks from the schedule so condensing it and still having to insure players for competition that is not theres.   World cup of hockey was under their control, in America at peak tv times and I can see them doing that again in preference to the travelling the other side of the world olympics.

sucks as a fan and proably players aswell but I also think think the olympic movement has lost its way. 

16 minutes ago, rocketdoctor said:

Watching Bettman's disccussion whilst in Calgary I can see the argument why.  The NHL has little to gain from it due to tv timings losing couple of weeeks from the schedule so condensing it and still having to insure players for competition that is not theres.   World cup of hockey was under their control, in America at peak tv times and I can see them doing that again in preference to the travelling the other side of the world olympics.

sucks as a fan and proably players aswell but I also think think the olympic movement has lost its way. 

I think the owners had a bigger say in the result than Bettman ever did.  There are some that felt they got screwed for a player injured in the "play for your country" tournies.  I myself prefer to watch Olympics hockey, but I don't directly pay a player to go there.

41 minutes ago, CheersMan said:

Garry had his World Cup last fall and demonstrated he could make X million on his own.  He then tells the Olympic committee for his players to attend he would need X million.  Olympic committee tells Garry they like his product but if they pay him then everyone else gets in line for a hand out too.  No deal.

Not quite...

for 2014 the IOC covered the travel costs and insurance premiums for the NHL players to go over and compete (which they should, it is THEIR event after all and they have a boatload of money...). They decided this go around to not offer that again and when the NHL tried to work out a deal with them, be it advertising or TV deal etc, the IOC kept saying No. The IOC wants the NHL to increase revenues and numbers but wants to share ZERO of the benefit and have the NHL assume all the risk. 

Once again, the IOC continues to degrade their own product.... Such a terrible and corrupt organization

8 minutes ago, travel_dude said:

I think the owners had a bigger say in the result than Bettman ever did.  There are some that felt they got screwed for a player injured in the "play for your country" tournies.  I myself prefer to watch Olympics hockey, but I don't directly pay a player to go there.

Agreed. He is the face so he has to wear this but it constantly amazes me how many people  forget that Bettman works for the owners. All he does is carry out what they want him to do.

22 minutes ago, JTech780 said:

It will be interesting to see how many bubble NHL players without contracts for next year, will avoid taking NHL deals for the opportunity to play in the Olympics.

Does a Nolan Patrick hold off on signing for a year to get healthy and a chance to play in the Olympics?

Interesting thought. I doubt the draftees  take the chance of a career ending injury derailing their NHL dream (& payday) though. Lindros was in the Olys before ever signing a contract but that was part of his battle with Quebec.

As to the bubble UFAs the same would apply.

Bettman said the NHL will not participate but that leaves the door open for career AHLers.

It'll be interesting to see how many NHLers will follow what OV said & go anyway. Leonsis in Washington seems to give his blessing while Melnyk in Ottawa is adamant he's against his players going. Since all signs point to the majority of owners opposed I figure only stars will be able to get away with going anyway as only they have the leverage to force their team to let them take those weeks off & self insure rather than having their contracts voided.

So the Euro teams will be status quo (players from KHL & other Euro leagues supplemented by a few NHLers) while Canada & the US will send teams of AHLers, players playing in Euro leagues (many of who fit the international game but couldn't cut it in the NHL), college players & the odd gifted player too young to be drafted.

Since I had no intention of getting up in the middle of the night to watch I'm not going to worry about it much unless stars from my team(s) put their career in peril.

Imagine how a team like the caps could be decimated by missing their best for 3 weeks in Feb. when playoff races get heated especially with the league not going to a compressed schedule.

With participation the NHL takes losses for no real gain so might as well say no to a losing arrangement. For once I agree with commisioner Butthead Bettman. (force of habit :)).

It was pretty apparent they were pushing the World Cup of Hockey as the replacement, the big draw will likely fall on women hockey in this case which is a benefit to them. You almost feel for guys like Mcdavid who'll miss out on the opportunity this time around, lucky guys like him are still young but guys like Crosby this might have been their last kick at it. If Flames win the cup this year or next...none of this will really matter to us anyway

The Olympics are more important to European players. You will see the biggest exodus from that group of players.

The twist is the NHL wants to get to the huge Chinese market and they have an Olympics after Korea.   This battle won't be done after the Korea Olympics and is just heating up.

The Olympics are not really an amateur sport anymore given how money has entered the equation. I am not sure why one private organization should give up their business to allow another to profit. In the end, I don't think that Buttman had much of a choice in the matter.

1 hour ago, Cowtownguy said:

The Olympics are not really an amateur sport anymore given how money has entered the equation. I am not sure why one private organization should give up their business to allow another to profit. In the end, I don't think that Buttman had much of a choice in the matter.

I kind of agree with what cross said in that the IOC is corrupt and they are standing to benefit from the NHL sending their players not the other way around. As disappointing as it is to not see NHlers participate on mass in this Olympic games I can see the thought process and it makes sense. I dont think the NHL is some goody two shoes being taking advantage of by the IOC  it really makes no sense for the NHL to pay its own way in terms of travel, insurance etc so the IOC can profi, it really makes no sense. I think ive heard it discussed in other circles the summer olympics should be staged in one spot ie greece with permanent lodgings etc for athletes, it should be the same thing for winter games, and the IOC should be an orignization trying to promote sport not profit for themselves.  

The other thing I don't really get is this idea that by not sending NHLers it's a missed opportunity to grow the game. 20 years ago they sent NHLers to Japan for the Olympics did it really grow the game in Japan in any meaningful way? I don't think so.

I think the amount of growth that is gained from sending NHLers is marginal compared to the amount it would hurt a team like Islanders if Tavares was injured and taken out for the season.

Can you imagine if Gaudreau was knocked out for the rest of the year after getting injured at the Olympics.

At the end of the day I am going to cheer for Canada irregardless of who is playing for them, but at the end of the day seeing my Flames do well in the playoffs means more to me than seeing Canada win gold.

1 hour ago, JTech780 said:

The other thing I don't really get is this idea that by not sending NHLers it's a missed opportunity to grow the game. 20 years ago they sent NHLers to Japan for the Olympics did it really grow the game in Japan in any meaningful way? I don't think so.

Agreed. 

Baseball doesnt, and never has if I recall correctly, released their stars. Has that hurt baseball as an international game? Plus while Salt Lake and Vancouver were great for hockey I would argue that Nagano, Turin and Sochi were not. Hockey was terrible in all 3 of those Olympics imo. 

Not sure I agree with the analysis here, but Wharnsby argues that the NHL is short-sighted in their decision over the Olympics.

Gary Bettman's legacy as NHL commissioner has a lengthy list of blunders. To name just a few, there's the two-decade-long soap opera known as the Arizona Coyotes, the 2004-05 cancelled season, consistent attendance woes and a poor record of vetting at the ownership level. Anybody remember John Spano (Islanders) or John Rigas (Sabres)?

But if Bettman follows through on his Monday decree that he won't allow the game's best players to participate in the 2018 Olympics and considers "the matter officially closed," this decision will go to the top with a bullet...

...Pyeongchang would be a wonderful opportunity for the NHL to continue to build off the excitement of Connor McDavid, Auston Matthews, Jack Eichel, Patrik Laine and the list goes on. Wouldn't we all like to watch McDavid play with Sidney Crosby or Matthews skate alongside Eichel and Patrick Kane?...

...Bettman must have been kicking himself. His office did nothing after the NHL's first Olympic Games in Nagano in 1998 to get a foot in the Asian market. He believes by going to Beijing that will all change. But the truth is the NBA is 20 years ahead of the NHL. Hockey has a long way to catch up on the Asian sports landscape. Why wouldn't the NHL want to get a four-year head start on its Beijing ambitions? Probably, because the NHL is stuck in its old-school ways.

Archived