Shaw suspended for being offensive

conundrumed

As Burke said there are members of the GLBT (there might be more letters but those are the only 1s I can think of now) community that are fans

A slashing activist friend of mine said that the new acronym is actually GLBTS. The S stands for "straight" people.  :ph34r:

I hear what you are saying. However, Shaw's mistake was that he knowingly used a term, albeit in the heat of the moment, that is offensive to a group of people who face hostility for doing something that does not affect others. The LGBT community has endured serious shame and humiliation for a long time. As well, suicide rates are particularly high among these folks. And let's face it, too many people today take their moral cures from celebrities like hockey players. If the League ignored it, some people would think that their heroes endorse that sort of thing.

It was a dumb move on his part, but his apology was just excellent. He admitted his error, apologized, and said he would change his behaviour. You cannot ask for much more than that. One game and a fine for that and the gesture is appropriate IMO. 

Are people too sensitive? Absolutely. Do some people get over-the-top self-righteous just to hear their own voices? Happens all of the time and it is very irritating. I think that there is room to grow though. If I may ask you a question conundrumed, do you think that the NHL should have ignored Shaw's behaviour? What do you think they should do about it given it was rather public?

ETA: I believe that someone above made a good point of noting that Shaw has grown up at a time when this language is unacceptable. That makes a difference I think.

As for the bolded, really? That's kind of my point. Every Andrew Shaw is the problem...where does the hunt end?

I'd have been fine with his apology.

A hockey player, any athlete for that matter, is having a go at a ref.

How is that a matter for a social injustice rant? It isn't, it just gets hyberbole to create a story.

People get ruined that way, or at the very least, stained.

Is that justice? Or is it revenge?

Thankfully future Apple technology will reduce the need for emotion, and even words lol.

As for the bolded, really? That's kind of my point. Every Andrew Shaw is the problem...where does the hunt end?

I'd have been fine with his apology.

A hockey player, any athlete for that matter, is having a go at a ref.

How is that a matter for a social injustice rant? It isn't, it just gets hyberbole to create a story.

People get ruined that way, or at the very least, stained.

Is that justice? Or is it revenge?

Thankfully future Apple technology will reduce the need for emotion, and even words lol.

Don't get me started conundrumed. Where I work, social injustice frequently translates to mean everyone should lose their minds if they don't get anything and everything they want. 

A "grey" friend of mine once stated that he preferred those who used terrible language to refer to anyone in the LGBT community. He said it was much better than the passive aggressive types who are nice to your face, and crummy in less obvious ways. Being up on lingo and being self-righteous does not always mean a person is truly committed to social justice. As well, using inappropriate language does not necessarily mean a person is racist, homophobic etc. Almost every person I know who has come out of the closet has stated that they were surprised at who their friends really were. I find that fascinating myself. 

I think we focus too much on language rather than other types of behaviour. For me, the suspension was appropriate because of the barbarian types who would assume that it is open season on vulnerable people in society. Even this discussion forum assumes that people will be homophobic. I cannot be the only person who finds it odd that this forum inserts the word "slasher" when we type in something different. I thought I was really behind the times for a bit there. Did they not consider the possibility that we might actually have intelligent conversations about social justice? I mean, this is not the freakin' Canucks forum for crying out loud!

Frequently, LGBTQ.

LGBTTIQQ2S - Lesbian, slashing, Bisexual, Transsexual, Transgendered, Intersexual, Queer, Questioning, 2-Spirited

Love.

Wow that acronym got long. Might as well go with the 2 easy words "not straight".

BTW, my niece's buddy told me he was bi but currently abstained from sex. I asked if he meant with both genders & he said he was a virgin. I guess the trying to be open part now goes so far that you can claim to be anything if you might be open to it.

Archived