Phaneuf Traded - 9 Player Deal

pikey7883

Thats and Steven Stamkos....

This is a straight cap dump for the Leafs. I suspect they'll buyout Cowen in the offseason becuase his buyout is so small (under age 26) and then they have both Grenning and Mihalek as UFA the following year. So come 2017 the Leafs will have cleared out 7 million off of their cap becuase no one they got is signed past then. Fairly smart move on their part. 

This is a big risk for the Sens as i'm not so sure I would have liked the idea of picking up Phaneuf's contract with no money retained. For a budget team this could really hamstring them in 2017 and beyond. They still need to get Hoffman done, Ceci and Zibanejed the following year and then Turris after that with no real big salary coming off the books. Going to be interesting to see how it works out, but it does feel a real pressing need for them. Their D has been terrible at moving the puck this year. 

Crazy trade.

Crazy that Phaneuf is the best player in the trade and so, I guess the Sens win but at the same time, this trade smells of two teams dumping salaries at one another and nothing more.  Cowen and Michalek are waste of cap spaces and they combine for the same price of Phaneuf.  Yet, their contracts end two years earlier than Phaneuf's contract.

LW - Stamkos - RW

LW - Matthews - RW

LW - Marner - RW

LW - Nylander - RW

New core moving forward.

OK, I get the benefit for Toronto - they get rid of him and open up cap space. 

But what does Ottawa get out of this? Am I missing something?

Ottawa's blueline is pretty bad, especially when it comes to puck moving ability, plus they were getting pretty desperate to find a Left shot top 4 blueliner who can play with and help Cody Ceci. They not only filled that but they dumped several contracts they don't like in the process. This trade essentially boils down to the Sens giving up a decent, but not great, prospect in Lindberg and a 2nd round pick and in return they get a top 3 D. 

But.... they have to pay him a crap load of money for a team that has a budget. I like the hockey aspect of this trade for the Sens but the business part would scare me if I was a Sens fan. 

Sadest part about this for me. I just realized the Leafs got a better return than the Flames did and the Flames traded him before he was this overpaid and still had "upside". Sad....

Sadest part about this for me. I just realized the Leafs got a better return than the Flames did and the Flames traded him before he was this overpaid and still had "upside". Sad....

While I agree the Flames didn't get full value for Phaneuf, I think the Flames got the better package.

Stajan > Michalek

White > Cowen

Hagman > Greening

Mayers = Lindberg

N/A < 2nd round pick

Flames also gave up Sjostrom and Aulie in the process.

Leafs give up Frattin, Bailey, Rupert, and Donaghey

While I agree the Flames didn't get full value for Phaneuf, I think the Flames got the better package.

Stajan > Michalek

White > Cowen

Hagman > Greening

Mayers = Lindberg

N/A < 2nd round pick

Flames also gave up Sjostrom and Aulie in the process.

Leafs give up Frattin, Bailey, Rupert, and Donaghey

Hockey said yes you are inclined to agree Flames did better. Business side though is where the Leafs really won. Leafs have cleared alot of cap space while the Flames acquired bad deals that stayed with them for multiple seasons and hurt their cap.  Thats why I think Leafs did better than the Flames because the Flames dealing Phaneuf didn't improve their hockey club and hurt their cap, at least the Leafs really improved their cap situation. 

Hockey said yes you are inclined to agree Flames did better. Business side though is where the Leafs really won. Leafs have cleared alot of cap space while the Flames acquired bad deals that stayed with them for multiple seasons and hurt their cap.  Thats why I think Leafs did better than the Flames because the Flames dealing Phaneuf didn't improve their hockey club and hurt their cap, at least the Leafs really improved their cap situation. 

Flames did hurt their cap, but Phaneuf had to go.   Just wish they had traded him sooner.

Good for Toronto....A lot of Leafs fans are probably very happy today (or should be)

Archived